• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POKÉTOON - English dub coming June 17th!

Agree. The narrator sounds like a robot.
Also doesn’t Pancham only evolve when there’s a dark type on the team?

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
I haven't heard voice acting in Pokemon THAT bad since the early days of the 4Kids dub. Wow. Just...wow...

They were even using the old pronunciation of "po-KUH" mon/balls :sick:

I don't think there was a narrator in the third episode.
We're talking about the Pancham short.

*sigh*
So much for better voice acting outside the Show... :'(

Last edited:

RetroPokeFan

Ooof.

I'm a big fan of the Pokémon dub and even I have to agree that this is well below the usual quality than normal. Stilted voice acting, questionable delivery, a robotic sounding script, lip synching that's off, the fact that most Pokémon don't even have any voices (not even keeping the Japanese audio, there's just.... nothing).

This must have been done as cheaply as possible somewhere like Miami or something.

They even got the timing for Pikachu's voice all wrong, how did someone not notice that?

Trey pokes

Reviving this thread cuz wynaut? So Interesting news, the Dub of these shorts were outsourced to Canada or my country. That definitely explains why the voice acting and scripts is quite.. unusual.

RetroPokeFan

Reviving this thread cuz wynaut? So Interesting news, the Dub of these shorts were outsourced to Canada or my country. That definitely explains why the voice acting and scripts is quite.. unusual.
The first Pokémon dub recorded in Canada, and it turns out to be a big ol' monkey's paw. Ouch.

For anyone wondering where this was done at, it was recorded at Digital Sound Magic.

Their previous anime endeavours includes two seasons of Black Jack and a Jungle Emperor Leo special.

The Mega Champion

I was going to watch them but if the dub is as bad as everyone claims it is... maybe I won't

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
...Wohoo? I mean, I see no reason that the subtitles on the Japanese version would go away because of this *knocks on wood* and TPCi's treatment of side projects tends to be... okay, so... Yay, everybody wins for once! I get to keep my beloved Japanese audio featuring Minase Inori in the third one, and people who either aren't comfortable with reading subs or just plain don't like watching media that way still get to watch it, and presumably nobody has to listen to me whine about the dub being unfaithful.

I still want a BD release for better quality but... these shorts having official, pretty decent subs as well as a dub is already a huge step in the right direction.
I see I seem to have tempted fate and the dub is actually sloppy to the extreme? Well that sucks. Well, at least there is still the Japanese version with actually decent subs but... how exactly do you manage to make a dub of a Pokémon short where you forget to give the Pokémon voices? Like, I often shake my head at TPCi dubbing Pokémon whose names are the same between the US and Japan anyway (not to mention dubbing Meltan, whose voice is so distorted it barely even registers as a voice) but that's still preferrable to having the Pokémon just be utterly silent.

Creyk

Damn, these shorts were crazy good. I loved how threatening the Arbok was. And the Magikarp story was so cute, how a bit of kindness inspired it to just keep going and eventually evolve.