• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

POKÉTOON - English dub coming June 17th!

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Hiya, fellas! The Pokemon Kids TV Youtube channel just uploaded something really cool!

A classic rubberhose-style animated short starring a Scraggy and Mimikyu.

This is pretty great, especially for those who love different styles of animation. I'd love to see more shorts in this style.

I'm not sure if this thread belongs here (I mean, it's technically anime). I just wanted to see what other people thought of it and hopefully give it more attention.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It's reminds me of the old "Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner" Looney Toon shorts..
Yea it does. They got the style down pat and respected the history as well.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Interesting. Based on the colors, character models, music, and slapstick, I'm willingly to bet that this based on the Fleischer Cartoons. Thank goodness the History of Animation lessons I've learned can finally pay off.

1) The color scheme is muted with Red and Green being the primary colors dominating the screen. This is something you don't see in Disney cartoons (because they used Technicolor which gives them access to three primary colors: Red, Green and Blue). But is something you would see in a Fleischer cartoon because they could only use a two color process known as Cinecolor (as Disney held exclusive rights to Technicolor).

2) It's very rubbery. Almost every animated object and character feels like it was made of rubber. Now Pokémon is one thing but the train, truck and baggage do not have solid weight to them and they all bounce around in the rhythm of the music. A Fleischer cartoon is known for its extensive use of rubber hose aesthetic (unless it's Superman) and the animation always in motion, sync to the beats of the music like their old "follow the bouncing ball" sing-along shorts, and rarely ever stops.

3) The music, with the drums, trumpets, bass, and piano, is very reminiscent of Jazz. Disney, being based in Los Angeles, used classical music for their cartoons. The Fleischer brothers, being based in New York, used the local jazz musicians to score their cartoons.

4) Finally, the extensive use of slapstick. While many studios used slapstick gags all the time, including Disney, it's the Fleischer cartoons that really defined it as their style, at least in this manner (Looney Tunes and Tex Avery cartoons have a different kind of slapstick). Dave Fleischer believed "that every scene should have a gag" and "nobody should animate a scene without a gag."

Here's an example of a Fleischer cartoon:

And if you might have guessed, the Fleischer cartoons inspired the animation and tone of Cuphead.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
That was actually pretty great.

Plus, it's a great way to introduce children to old-school-style animation.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I loved EVERYTHING about this!!

This was a great homage to classic animation with stuff like the music, the watercolor backgrounds, vibrant expressions, & the fluent movement. The slapstick comedy was perfect too since it stayed true to Scraggy & Mimikyu’s traitors while still paying homage to stuff like the early Fleischer cartoons

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Hiya, fellas! The Pokemon Kids TV Youtube channel just uploaded something really cool!

A classic rubberhose-style animated short starring a Scraggy and Mimikyu.

This is pretty great, especially for those who love different styles of animation. I'd love to see more shorts in this style.

I'm not sure if this thread belongs here (I mean, it's technically anime). I just wanted to see what other people thought of it and hopefully give it more attention.
All they're missing from making it like those old-school Fleischer cartoons are the Pac-Man eyes

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I'm not sure if this thread belongs here (I mean, it's technically anime).
I'd say it does. Cartoons and anime are the same thing after all (on the grounds that "anime" is nothing more than another language's word for "cartoon").

Anyway, this short is a fantastic idea, and I'd love to see more like it. It'd also be nice to see Pokemon animation done in other kinds of Western animation styles (personally, I'd like to see one done in a Don Bluth-like style).

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Sadly, this is what people who really don't know any better about cartoons will say. (Not saying you are one of them.)

Actually, I went with Cuphead because it's the most recent and seems to have gotten people interested in old school "rubberhose" animation.

I would've said they'd been watching Fleischer Bros. cartoons, or the VERY early Disney/Looney Tunes shorts, but what are the odds a Japanese animator would take inspiration from those when Cuphead is more recent/likely. (Especially since the TV Show has some Looney Tunes or Disney-style moments peppered throughout anyway.)

Last edited:

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Actually, I went with Cuphead because it's the most recent and seems to have gotten people interested in old school "rubberhose" animation.

I would've said they'd been watching Fleischer Bros. cartoons, or the very early Disney/Looney Tunes shorts, but what are the odds a Japanese animator would take inspiration from those when Cuphead is more recent/likely. (Especially since the TV Show has some Looney Tunes or Disney-style moments peppered throughout anyway.)

Japanese animation was heavily influenced by American animators and cartoon shorts. And any animator worth their salt would watch the old cartoons to get an idea of how to make an old-school cartoon work (animation is not easy and even Cuphead took years of traditional hand-drawn animation to be even presentable to the public).

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The first anime was Astro Boy made by Osamu Tezuka, labelled as the "god of manga". Tezuka decided to became a manga artist after watching a Disney movie (Bambi if I recall correctly). To this day many of things thought by Tezuka are still more or less present in anime.

Even Katsuhiro Otomo made a dedication to Tezuka in the end of Akira.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The first anime was Astro Boy made by Osamu Tezuka, labelled as the "god of manga". Tezuka decided to became a manga artist after watching a Disney movie (Bambi if I recall correctly). To this day many of things thought by Tezuka are still more or less present in anime.

Even Katsuhiro Otomo made a dedication to Tezuka in the end of Akira.
From Wikipedia: "When Tezuka was young, his father showed him Disney films and he became a Disney movie buff, seeing the films multiple times in a row, most famously seeing Bambi more than 80 times."

He was also a huge fan of the Scrooge McDuck comics by Carl Barks, which is obvious in Tezuka's style.

BarksTezuka.jpg