1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokèmon that you prefer over their evolved forms?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Ignition, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Ignition

Ignition My son finally did it

I know it’s not uncommon to like a lot unevolved Pokèmon for the cuteness appeal, but most times you’ll find a person prefers their Pokèmon fully evolved. Are there any Pokèmon you prefer over their evolved forms? Please elaborate on your preferences

2. Boss1991

Boss1991 Hardcore Pokéfan

Yes, there are some:

Bulbasaur and Ivysaur
    Gastly and Haunter
    Abra
    Dragonair
    Gible and Gabite
    Spinarak
    Scyther

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  3. Monster Guy

Monster Guy Slurpuff and Alcremie both deserve love

The ones that come to mind are middle stage starters.

Marshtomp
    Dewott
    Torracat

They started cute, stayed cute in their middle form, and then became less cute upon becoming fully evolved.

4. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

[​IMG]
    Dewott easily. I had this funny discussion in the Pokemon Adventures section of why does Blake's Dewott always looks so pissed and apparently that's just how he always looks in the games. What's even more funnier is that all of Blake's Pokemon, including Dewott, have a serious nature lol.

5. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

Chikorita: It's cute, if not especially good. The things around it's neck look like a pearl necklace and all that stuff.
    In comparison Bayleef looks like it has marijuana joints hanging from its neck and generally looks kinda seedy. Meganium looks a bit better than Beyleef, but now it just looks boring...

Hoothoot: An adorable round fantasy owl....evolves into a generic anime owl.

And while we are on owls:
    Rowlet: The single most adorable starter imho, and I freaking hate both of its evolutions.

Drowzee: Adorable, chubby, sleepy Baku-like thing....evolves into a pedo-gnome?

Onix: Not that I like Onix all that much, but it deserves better than to evolve into what looks like a smelly old creep.
    I also don't really like the Nidorans, Nidiorina/Nidorino and Rhyorn, but I sure like them better than the ugly, bumpy, boring Kaiju-Ripoffs they evolve into.

Dragonair: Beautiful, elegant, interesting....and evolves into something as dopey and dumpy as Dragonite...and then those ridiculous attempts to make Dragonite look badass *rolleyes* Dragonite will never be badass. It's a bumbling kiddie dragon.
    Goomy has similar problems...

6. Hydrangea

Hydrangea 風に吹き Staff Member

There’s a couple for sure. I love Phantump way more than it’s evolved form because it’s far cuter. Dragonair also comes to mind (I don’t hate Dragonite but I like Dragonair more). I largely feel the same way with Pikachu but I still really like Raichu (I tend to keep my female Pikachu’s Pikachu and evolve the Male ones into Raichu).

I dislike Chesnaught/Quilladin but I think Chespin itself is adorable.

I like Sceptile well enough but I think Grovyle is way cooler looking.

7. ThroughTheIris56

ThroughTheIris56 Active Member

I prefer Sneasel to Weavile. I like Weavile as well, I just think Sneasel has a sleeker design, whereas Weavile is somewhat uglier.

Rhydon I defiitely prefer to Rhyperior. I've always loved Rhydon, but Rhyperior just looks overdone.

Lombre looks a lot cooler with the water lily head than Ludicolo.7

Magmortar is a bit disappointing considering how much Electivire is an improvement.

I don't dislike Dragonite or prefer Dragonair, but I wish Dragonair's evolution could have been more elegant and resembled it more. [​IMG]

8. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Braixen. I've never been a fan of Delphox, she's the only fully evolved Kalos starter that I don't like.... quite funny how I dislike Chespin/Quilladin and love Bowser. It's like the mirror image to Braixen's line lol
    That's pretty much the only Pokemon I can say.... unless you can count Eeveelutions, in which case Eevee is FAR superior to Sylveon!

9. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

A strange one I've always liked is Kakuna. Especially in gen 1 where it has arms. I'm aware battle wise it isn't particularly useful but I do think it looks cool.

10. Ignition

Ignition My son finally did it

Realized I never answered my own question so here’s a couple but I generally prefer the final evolutions:

Wynaut & Riolu: I think Baby Pokèmon, while useless besides Dex filler, are cute. While these are not my favorites but I can’t stand their evolved forms. Mainly because of their overexposure in the anime

Haunter: Fits the role of prankster ghost better than Gengar

Seadra: Looks more menacing

Anorith: Oddly cute. Never cared for Armaldo

Dewott: I don’t like Oshawott or Samurott. Samurott especially since it just looks weird

Luthor likes this.
  11. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

I like Torracat and Braixen, since they are sleek, but Incineroar and Delphox are really disappointing.
    Rhydon is pretty decent design-wise, but Rhyperior looks overweight and has a weird tail shape and colour scheme.
    Although I like Typhlosion, Quilava is even cooler-looking, it is sleek and I love its fiery mohawk.

12. Rhydon and Braixen.

Leonhart and janejane6178 like this.
  13. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Litten

14. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

I like Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Pikachu, Lickitung, Sewaddle, Lillipup, Alolan Meowth, Cosmog over Cosmoem but not Solgaleo and Lunala, and Magmar over their Evolutions.

15. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I prefer Shishiko (Litleo) over its evolved form, because to me it just looks more adorable as a lion cub than a fully-grown lion. I also prefer Mokuroh (Rowlet) over Junaiper (Decidueye).

16. LusoTrainer

LusoTrainer Retro Trainer

Oh, so many...

Ivysaur > Venusaur*
    Spearow > Fearow
    Nidorino > Nidoking
    Golbat > Crobat
    Oddish > Gloom
    Diglett > Dugtrio
    Weepinbell > Victreebel
    Magnemite > Magneton > Magnezone*
    Doduo > Dodrio
    Onix > Steelix
    Drowzee > Hypno
    Lickitung > Lickilicky*
    Rhydon > Rhyperior*
    Tangela > Tangrowth*
    Seadra > Kingdra
    Staryu > Starmie
    Scyther > Scizor
    Electabuzz > Electivire*
    Magmar > Magmortar*
    Porygon > Porygon2 > Porygon-Z*
    Bayleef > Meganium*
    Togetic > Togekiss*
    Aipom > Ambipom*
    Yanma > Yanmega*
    Murkrow > Honchkrow*
    Misdreavus > Mismagius*
    Gligar > Gliscor*
    Piloswine > Mamoswine*
    Sneasel > Weavile*

I basically dislike most of the evolutions introduced generations later (specially those of Gen IV). They come out forced and out of place, aesthetically speaking. Those with an * are Pokémon that I refuse to evolve on playthroughs because the design of the next evolution is not as appealing to me.

I dislike all the mega evolutions and regional variants, so you can count those as well by default.

17. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Water starter fan

Scyther > Scizor

Fennekin and Braixen > Delphox

Ivysaur > Venusaur

Also I like a few Pokemon over their Mega forms e.g. Garchomp

18. Lemonski

Lemonski Active Member

Vigoroth looks cool while Slaking really isn't my thing. I also like Ivysaur more than Venusaur - I wonder why Venusaur also had to lose those darker patches of color both Bulbasaur and Ivysaur have.

AgentKallus likes this.
  19. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

Surprised no one said the pans yet, I prefer all three pans over the simis. My main pokemon that I'd never want to evolve are (or wouldn't want to evolve if I was said pokemon): Pansage, Panpour, Pansear, Diglet, Koffing, Murkrow, Bunnelby, Togetic, and Herdier

20. catzeye

catzeye Writer's Block

Dewott over Samurott: Don't get me wrong, I love Samurott's design, just not for the Oshawott line. I think the Oshawott line should have remined bipedal with Samurott being it's own line.

Dragonair over Dragonite: I love Dragonite's design, but I think he is out of place in the Dratini line. I wished they kept the Eastern dragon look for the Dratini line and Dragonite could have been a stand alone or it's own line.

Magmar/Rhydon over Magmortar/Rhyperior: I thought their designs were overdone. I would have rather seen them get a mega-evolution or general stat boost compared to what we got instead

AgentKallus likes this.