• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon 2019 anime opinion/question

lost9340

Watching the new anime and after seeing ash's recent catch of riolu how does everyone feel about the direction the new anime is going?
I like the new direction after the disaster of last season. It seem like the Pokémon writers are finally bringing back pokemon fans wanted ash to catch in previous generations that they never let happen. Gengar and riolu are definitely 2 previous generation pokemon fans wanted ash to catch in the past and spark resentment when he didn't. I also like how they brought back a way to tie in all the past regions in a new anime.
What else do you guys feel they should do and the direction they should go? For instance it would be cool for ash to be reacquainted with pokemon he released like greninja. To add to his roster. Also would be cool to see him use pokemon at professor oaks like gible.
What other pokemon from past generations would you like to see ash catch?
What gimmicks from past season would you like to see brought back in for instance jigglypuff I would like to see come back especially with go around.
Let's hear predictions, wants, and ideas.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I think this belongs in polls and this is 100% going to devolve into a flame war, so it should probably be locked.

Ash's personality and his competence are nice, as is his dynamic with Go. The world tour premise seemed promising initially. Hopefully Koharu can pick up a few more episodes as I like her personality and general disinterest in Pokemon.

That said, the overly-large focus on Kanto has repulsed me, and I frankly detest all of Ash's current captures this saga. Two fully-evolved Kanto Pokemon and the Lucario line. They just scream "overpowered nostalgia-bait fanfic Ash".

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
This Riolu episode were the first time I felt a story in the show felt "fanfic-y". But maybe that's just me.

Mew29240

This Riolu episode were the first time I felt a story in the show felt "fanfic-y". But maybe that's just me.

I get that feeling too. It's probably because of how popular of a pick Lucario among fans is for Ash that I can't help but relate the capture episode to fanfics I've read about authors giving Ash a Riolu.

Nodame

Misty <3
Ash catching Riolu was so rushed and unnatural just like catching Gengar and Dragonite. It seems the writers are rushing everything just to satisfy the fanboys. There are just so many questions. It's like I'm reading a fanfic. Why not spend time catching Galarian Pokemon? or bring back his old Pokemon? why catch Riolu now? the only way to convince me is if Ash goes through proper development with these three Pokemon, get enough screen time and have a strong bond with them. I doubt anything will happen, he'll just ditch them soon and catch other cool Pokemon like Go.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Pokemon 2019 is an overpowered Ash fanfic series, just like XY, so that it makes both of them the worst series IMO.

You asked *shrugs*

Oh no they are showing that Ash is strong despite his all achievements and him winning a league which makes it viable to get all the mons, this series is just the worst because it actually respects ash! Ugh. Fanfiction.

Like I literally do not get these complaints. This series is so much more interesting in the beginning than any other series before it. I don't remember any other saga being so unpredictable like this one. But this is serebii forums, people just love to complain

Mew29240

Oh no they are showing that Ash is strong despite his all achievements and him winning a league which makes it viable to get all the mons, this series is just the worst because it actually respects ash! Ugh. Fanfiction.

Like I literally do not get these complaints. This series is so much more interesting in the beginning than any other series before it. I don't remember any other saga being so unpredictable like this one. But this is serebii forums, people just love to complain

People are just used to Ash having a harder time, that's all. Kinda hard to break out of the idea of Ash making progress towards his dream after winning a league (regardless of people's opinions of it) because we've had the entirety of the anime with Ash in a losing position.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

There's a difference between "proper respect" and "handed everything on a silver platter that panders to Gen 1 and Lucario".

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
There's a difference between "proper respect" and "handed everything on a silver platter that panders to Gen 1 and Lucario".

How has he been handed everything? He worked to befriend all the Pokemon he got. He deserved dragonite, gengar and riolu. He wasn't handed them, that's ridiculous
He helped dragonair evolve and learn dragon dance
He offered a home to gengar and battled with him
His aura (which is a thing mentioned in the past too) helps him bond with a riolu, who chose him after he helps riolu to win

How has he been handed stuff? By that logic 90 percent of his Pokemon were handed to him.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
How has he been handed everything? He worked to befriend all the Pokemon he got. He deserved dragonite, gengar and riolu. He wasn't handed them, that's ridiculous
He helped dragonair evolve and learn dragon dance
He offered a home to gengar and battled with him
His aura (which is a thing mentioned in the past too) helps him bond with a riolu, who chose him after he helps riolu to win

How has he been handed stuff? By that logic 90 percent of his Pokemon were handed to him.
People should remember the Dawn and Togekiss episode
THAT was a handed pokémon

Red and Blue

Ash catching Riolu was so rushed and unnatural just like catching Gengar and Dragonite. It seems the writers are rushing everything just to satisfy the fanboys. There are just so many questions. It's like I'm reading a fanfic. Why not spend time catching Galarian Pokemon? or bring back his old Pokemon? why catch Riolu now? the only way to convince me is if Ash goes through proper development with these three Pokemon, get enough screen time and have a strong bond with them. I doubt anything will happen, he'll just ditch them soon and catch other cool Pokemon like Go.
He is catching other Gen Pokemon because PM2019 is promoting all of the regions in addition to Galar. And if the new credits and preview is anything to go by he will catch the two remaining starters and began using his older Pokemon eventually

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I like Gengar and Kairyu, their capture episodes were super fun. But do you really not see how it comes off as receiving handouts for Satoshi to get three strong fully evolved Pokémon in around 30 episodes? When did Barrierd suddenly become some super strong battler and technically was Satoshi’s Pokémon the whole time? We know Lucario is coming soon too. You also say it good because PM is respecting Satoshi, I don’t get that either? Did S&M not respect him because he spent a whole series loving on and training Nyabby until it earned its champion’s belt as a Gaogaen? Was him winning with those first stage Pokémon over the years with good strategy not respect? It’s not like any character in PM degrades him nor are his battling skills portrayed poorly? Would you be happy with Go tossing a Master Ball at Arceus then entering the PWC and sweeping it as long as their was episodic bonding attached?

Or Iris and Dragonite also!
No way you call her Kairyu a handout without acknowledging Satoshi’s as one too. Hers came packaged with disobedience which costed her a pivotal match, took quite a bit of time to open up to and trust her. Does Iris not protecting hers from a mob and helping it get medical attention not count? I also fail to realize how Togekiss was a worse handout when it came packaged with an issue Hikari had to work on and it never even won her anything or got much usage. I like Satoshi and am glad he got Kairyu but you don’t have to throw the female characters under the bus to defend him.

Last edited: