• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Anime Sub vs Dub!

Which do you prefer between the Original and the English Dub?

• The english dub is a superior product but I prefer to watch the original

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NPT

Just a member
I watch Seasons 1-5, 10-16 and Movies 3-16 dubbed ... and the the rest, especially XY and SM, subbed. The music replacements are the terrible in those seasons. Ed Goldfarb is worst thing happened to the dub. His music is worse than nails on a chalkboard.

someone said:
I feel like this is an issue with most dubbed anime these days

Meowth, that's wrong! Just because Pokemon anime's dub is bad dosen't mean every other anime dub is the same.

Last edited:

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
I feel like the girls are starting to sound similar to each other like Mallow, Lillie, Acerola, (current) Misty

Yeah the modern girls sound basically the same to me. They just sound really basic and are indistinguishable. If you told me to guess the character based off just the voice between the 4 you listed above, I wouldn't be able to do it.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Yeah the modern girls sound basically the same to me. They just sound really basic and are indistinguishable. If you told me to guess the character based off just the voice between the 4 you listed above, I wouldn't be able to do it.
I watched the first couple of SM episodes dubbed in the background and I seriously thought Lillie was Serena. Then I thought all 3 SM girls were the same :/

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
I watched the first couple of SM episodes dubbed in the background and I seriously thought Lillie was Serena. Then I thought all 3 SM girls were the same :/
Yeah I get where you're coming from. Lillie in the Dub is just Serena with a slightly higher voice and is more formal. I thought that they were voiced by the same person, but that's not the case, which makes it even worse!

I feel like this is an issue with most dubbed anime these days.

Yeah I agree. While most male Characters in modern anime sound distinct, most of the girls sound very similar (the only recent example I can think of is Momo from MHA, whose English voice really fits the character, but the Japanese does sound better to me though lol. I don't watch much dubbed anime so I can't be sure of any other cases).

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Dubbed: Seasons 1-5, 10-16, Movies 4-16, and the preview versions of XY001-XY002 and SM001-SM002

I watch the rest, especially XY and SM, subbed. ED Goldfarb is worst thing happened to the dub. His music is worse than nails on a chalkboard.

Do you have a reason other than purist platitudes like that to prefer Hack Supreme's music over Mr. Goldfarb's? I'm legit curious, and also would like such thoughtless platitudes to remain out of what's supposed to be involved and well-thought-out discussion.

(Unimportant side note here, but I just found an interview with Miyazaki where he basically admitted to being no good at playing the piano. Considering that Mr. Goldfarb is a piano pro, it is no small amount of hilarious to see the so-called "BEST POKEMON COMPOSER EVA!!!" flat-out say he's no good at the instrument the so-called "WORST POKEMON COMPOSER EVA!!!!" excels at. But don't take my word for it: http://www.jpopexchange.net/Shinji_Miyazaki_JPop_Exchange_Exclusive_Interview.htm .
Oh, and you gotta love how he expresses a desire to be like John Williams. Yeah, no chance, you talentless dipshit. No Pokemon composer alive...no, actually, no other TV/film composer alive will ever be even a quarter of what Williams is.)

the dub also changes music when the original tries to play a melody to draw out emotion thats unfitting (see SM episode 26).

I think it'd be more accurate to say "see any Japanese episode ever made." Shinji Miyazaki can't compose for **** anymore, but Masafumi Mima never had any business doing sound editing on Pokemon.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
All three SM girl’s dub voices sound different. Lana’s voice is the softest (and one of my favorite SM dub voices!), Lillie sounds more screechy(?)/like Serena with a higher pitch, and Mallow’s is like almost in between the two but still is distinct enough to be different.

I can get Serena and Lillie sounding somewhat similar but the three SM girls are vastly different from each other.

Ryu Taylor

All three SM girl’s dub voices sound different. Lana’s voice is the softest (and one of my favorite SM dub voices!), Lillie sounds more screechy(?)/like Serena with a higher pitch, and Mallow’s is like almost in between the two but still is distinct enough to be different.

I can get Serena and Lillie sounding somewhat similar but the three SM girls are vastly different from each other.

I don't hear all that much similarity between Serena and Lillie, nor between the three SM girls. Lillie's my favorite of the three due to getting the character perfectly, and Lana's my least favorite of the three due to underacting so much one would think her JP VA suddenly learned English and brought her own constant underacting problem over.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I don't hear all that much similarity between Serena and Lillie, nor between the three SM girls. Lillie's my favorite of the three due to getting the character perfectly, and Lana's my least favorite of the three due to underacting so much one would think her JP VA suddenly learned English and brought her own constant underacting problem over.
I think Lillie and Serena sound exactly the same, don't they have the same voice actress? Funny since I love Lana's English dub voice. She sounds so cute and it totally fits her. They're completely different voices so it's not Lana's JP voice actress learnt English sounding. It's not bad to where you can tell that they're reading the script with no emotion.

Kirby Dragons

I've watched the entire series dubbed, since that's what comes on TV. Unfortunately, XY and SM have had some awful voice acting.

Ryu Taylor

Unfortunately, XY and SM have had some awful voice acting.

Tom Wayland was lucky the actors he wasn't actually directing were so good at their jobs, and needless to say he deserved to be fired from TPCi after that sex scandal. But if you ask me, Theresa Buchheister, while a much better person than Wayland, was the worst voice director. Everything got better once Lisa Ortiz got the job of voice director.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I prefer to watch the sub. I’ve been watching the Japanese version since DP days and I don’t think I’ll be stopping anytime soon.

Yeah, the dub is easier for me to understand since I don’t speak Japanese and reading subtitles can be a pain in the neck but none of that bothers me because overall, the Japanese version is just better to me.

The voice acting in the Japanese version is ten times. Nothing against either Sarah Natochenny but they are not able to put the same amount of passion into Ash’s voice as Rica Matsumoto has. I will admit Sarah Natochenny has come a long way in voicing Ash and is nowhere as bad she was when she first started but I just don’t feel like she does not put as much emotion into her Ash voice, like both Rica Matsumoto and Veronica Taylor have. But honestly, most of the dub voice actors I’ve seen are not able to capture the same amount of passion that the Japanese VA’s do, which is really disappointing.

The main reason why I do not watch the dub now is because of the change in music. That has been something that has really annoyed me about the dub. I’m not hating on the dub’s music at all, I’m just saying the replacement of the Japanese BGM has really rubbed me the wrong way and is the main reason why I no longer watch the dub.

I am, in no way, hating on the dub. It is not as terrible as some other English dubs I’ve but I prefer to watch the sub.