• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Anime Versus Thread v4

Genaller

Silver Soul
I remembered wrong the scene where he interrupted alain vs steven, I thought pyroar cancelled out the attacks, but MCX and M Metagross stopped themselves
In that case, what about Pyroar vs Guzma's Golisopod?

RS/E Swampert probably not, but ORAS Swampert could probably be a challenge, though I may need to read that arc again

Wait, did he actually get wrecked? What episode was that? Are we about to see the birth of the Fodder grunt tier conundrum?
Can’t comment on Pyroar vs Golisopod until after the Alola league.

BW121. It was even fully serious with its ‘alpha’ roar but then after only 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon was flung back and crashed into the ground like a beta b****. I wonder where all its sense to counterattack went; guess all of that combat ‘experience’ it supposedly gained from training in CV didn’t amount to s*** xD.

Last edited:

Dream Lad

Banned
Since we’re on the topic of consistency or lack thereof, I remembered how Ash’s Charizard in late BW got wrecked by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier team plasma pokémon yet according to some here is still somehow the most consistent pokémon Ash has ever owned xD.

BW121. It was even fully serious with its ‘alpha’ roar but then after only 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon was flung back and crashed into the ground like a beta b****. I wonder where all its sense to counterattack went; guess all of that combat ‘experience’ it supposedly gained from training in CV didn’t amount to s*** xD.

Lol, why do you sound so salty?

I didn't realize a Pokemon that throws himself last second to body block the attacks of 3 Pokemon is now supposed to be immune to damage...

...in fact, says a lot of good about Charizard that he had the split-second reaction and willingness to sacrifice his body in doing that, and he got up quickly afterwards. How is this relevant to a Pokemon battle, especially if Ash is commanding him? The whole sequence was intentionally written for each of Ash's BW Pokemon to have a good moment, so obviously Charizard couldn't just 100-0 all of them even though he's proven he can. None of this disproves that Charizard is by far Ash's most battle-tested and arguably most consistent Pokemon.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Lol, why do you sound so salty?

I didn't realize a Pokemon that throws himself last second to body block the attacks of 3 Pokemon is now supposed to be immune to damage...
He threw himself last second to shield for the first 2. Then was apparently too stunned to do anything about the 3rd and got flung back and crashed into the ground like a beta b****. Fact is if Charizard is supposed to be some epic champion tier pokémon or even something like a Flint’s Infernape, there’s no way in hell he should have been so affected by 3 shadow balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon . Flint’s Infernape would have just countered with an attack of his own, blocked the attack or taken it and acted like the attack never existed. Cynthia’s Garchomp would have blocked with her scythe arm. Steven’s Metagross and Diantha’s Gardevoir would have deflected it with Psychic. Alder’s Bouffalant would like F-Ape just have taken the attack and not given a damn (actually the attack would be nullified since it’s a normal type lol but even if they were effective, they wouldn’t do squat). Fact is none of those pokémon would have ever been portrayed as pathetically as Ash’s Charizard was against those fodder grunt tier pokémon.

...in fact, says a lot of good about Charizard that he had the split-second reaction
Actually that scene shows what a moron he is for not counter attacking since even flippin Pignite just after had the intuitive battle sense to use Flamethrower to counter the incoming attacks towards a downed Charizard; guess all that ‘experience’ it should supposedly have ain’t worth s***.

and willingness to sacrifice his body in doing that, and he got up quickly afterwards.
Well it was slow enough that he needed Pignite of all pokémon defending him while he took his sweet time xD.

How is this relevant to a Pokemon battle, especially if Ash is commanding him?
It shows that he’s capable of getting wrecked by fodder grunt tier pokémon even when he’s completely serious and on guard and that’s enough; the writers (you love META right?) are never gonna make a true ‘epic tier’ (champion and top end e4 ace pokémon) ever look that pathetic against such pitiful opponents.

The whole sequence was intentionally written for each of Ash's BW Pokemon to have a good moment,
Which as a consequence just serves to undermine the supposed presumed gap between Charizard and Ash’s other unova pokémon present in that battle (including Oshawott lmfao).

so obviously Charizard couldn't just 100-0 all of them even though he's proven he can.
Getting flung-back and crashing into the ground like a beta b**** definitely isn’t gonna support the case that he can xD.

None of this disproves that Charizard is by far Ash's most battle-tested and arguably most consistent Pokemon.
Cool and all of that ‘battle sense’ still gave him worse judgment than flipping Pignite xD.

Last edited:

Hanto

Water Addiction
It's inconsistent writing. The anime does it all the time. It's why individual feats can't be taken into a vacuum and META can't be ignored, otherwise you're left with nonsensical comparisons and have to create headcanons to try to explain them.
Why dont you think that Garchomp simply reduced power of its moves by 90% or something like this? Pikachu did it during training with newly hatched Scraggy etc. While Axew attacking Garchomp with move with such a power was just a shock for Cynthia's ace. So it was not a strong Axew and weak Garchomp, the last one just thought that Axew could not posses that powerful move and did not care about defending. Garchomp just was caught off guard.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Why dont you think that Garchomp simply reduced power of its moves by 90% or something like this? Pikachu did it during training with newly hatched Scraggy etc. While Axew attacking Garchomp with move with such a power was just a shock for Cynthia's ace. So it was not a strong Axew and weak Garchomp, the last one just thought that Axew could not posses that powerful move and did not care about defending. Garchomp just was caught off guard.
Yeah Garchomp took Scratch and Dragon Rage with no attempt to dodge, block or counter yet the attacks practically did nothing. It’s not her fault that Axew suddenly pulls a Deus Ex Move in Giga Impact out of nowhere, not to mention that Axew literally never uses that move ever again further enforcing what an outlier it dealing damage on Garchomp with said move really is.

Dream Lad

Banned
He threw himself last second to shield for the first 2. Then was apparently too stunned to do anything about the 3rd and got flung back and crashed into the ground like a beta b****. Fact is if Charizard is supposed to be some epic champion tier pokémon or even something like a Flint’s Infernape, there’s no way in hell he should have been so affected by 3 shadow balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon . Flint’s Infernape would have just countered with an attack of his own, blocked the attack or taken it and acted like the attack never existed. Cynthia’s Garchomp would have blocked with her scythe arm. Steven’s Metagross and Diantha’s Gardevoir would have deflected it with Psychic. Alder’s Bouffalant would like F-Ape just have taken the attack and not given a damn (actually the attack would be nullified since it’s a normal type lol but even if they were effective, they wouldn’t do squat). Fact is none of those pokémon would have ever been portrayed as pathetically as Ash’s Charizard was against those fodder grunt tier pokémon.

This is an apples to oranges comparison.

In battles, Charizard has tanked significantly more powerful moves and gotten right back up. Earlier in BW, Charizard flies straight into Iris' Dragon Rush and doesn't even have a scratch. Unless you mean to tell me that these grunt Pokemon attacks are somehow more damaging than the attacks of an Articuno, then this is an inappropriate comparison. This wasn't a standard battle. This wasn't a situation where Ash was commanding Charizard either.

Actually that scene shows what a moron he is for not counter attacking since even flippin Pignite just after had the intuitive battle sense to use Flamethrower to counter the incoming attacks towards a downed Charizard; guess all that ‘experience’ it should supposedly have ain’t worth s***. Well it was slow enough that he needed Pignite of all pokémon defending him while he took his sweet time xD. It shows that he’s capable of getting wrecked by fodder grunt tier pokémon even when he’s completely serious and on guard and that’s enough; the writers (you love META right?) are never gonna make a true ‘epic tier’ (champion and top end e4 ace pokémon) ever look that pathetic against such pitiful opponents. Which as a consequence just serves to undermine the supposed presumed gap between Charizard and Ash’s other unova pokémon present in that battle (including Oshawott lmfao). Getting flung-back and crashing into the ground like a beta b**** definitely isn’t gonna support the case that he can xD. Cool and all of that ‘battle sense’ still gave him worse judgment than flipping Pignite xD.

It sounds as if you dislike Ash's Charizard being at the top, and I feel you're using this improper example as some proof to knock him down several pegs.

The writers wrote a sequence where all of the BW Pokemon got their moment. Charizard got his moment because he risked himself to protect the others by doing a split-second body block. Pignite got his moment of protecting his bro Charizard. Krookodile got his moment of digging and providing distractiing cover. Oshawott and Snivy helped with their attacks. It wasn't meant to be a unilateral glory sequence for Charizard like say, Ash vs Gary.

---------------------------------------

I don't think Cynthia takes field challenges lightly, especially when she had Garchomp go for a consecutive Dragon Rush + Draco Meteor after baiting out Axew's moves and burning down some of its energy.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen

While we're probably supposed to believe that Garchomp was taking it easy on Axew, I dunno why the idea that Axew might have caught Garchomp off guard was so controversial.

Hanto

Water Addiction
I don't think Cynthia takes field challenges lightly, especially when she had Garchomp go for a consecutive Dragon Rush + Draco Meteor after baiting out Axew's moves and burning down some of its energy.
That was just a friendly training session, not a serious battle unlike in Paul's case. Nobody excepted Axew uses freaking Giga Impact.

While we're probably supposed to believe that Garchomp was taking it easy on Axew, I dunno why the idea that Axew might have caught Garchomp off guard was so controversial.
People easily accepted Scraggy beating Simisage and Simipour, Pikachu soaking hellish Mudsdale with Stamina, but supposed to deny fact that Axew can catch Garchomp off guard. I think that is just antipathy towards Iris' character and nothing else. Even her victory in Don Battle was very controversial to the western fandom.

An interesting fire starter match-up:
Flint's Infernape vs Kukui's Incineroar
Probably Infernape would be victorious due to its type advantage, but I see this match like very tough and close.

Sinnoh and Kalos gym-leaders were portraited as the strongest ones in the anime, so who will win? Megas included.
1. Roark VS Viola
2. Gardenia VS Grant
3. Maylene VS Korrina
4. Crasher Wake VS Ramos
5. Fantina VS Clemont
6. Byron VS Valerie
7. Candice VS Olympia
8. Volkner VS Wulfric
9. Cynthia VS Diantha

Genaller

Silver Soul
This is an apples to oranges comparison.

In battles, Charizard has tanked significantly more powerful moves and gotten right back up.
IDK maybe not battling for such a long time caused his durability to get rusty.

Earlier in BW, Charizard flies straight into Iris' Dragon Rush and doesn't even have a scratch.
You realise he used Slash to counter right? Him coming out of it without visible damage just means the moves cancelled each other out; it’s really not a tanking feat.

Unless you mean to tell me that these grunt Pokemon attacks are somehow more damaging than the attacks of an Articuno,then this is an inappropriate comparison.
Well I guess the Articuno that fought Charizard really wasn’t that great attack wise. Matter of fact Brandon’s Dusclops needed fewer hits to KO it later on (IIRC Articuno got about 7-8 hits in whereas Dusclops needed 5 for the KO).

This wasn't a standard battle. This wasn't a situation where Ash was commanding Charizard either.
Doesn’t change that Charizard was fully serious and on guard. If it’s supposed to have so much combat experience, then it should have intuitively used a move (e.g. Slash, Dragon Tail) to counter the incoming attacks as it was rushing towards Ash. You could say that Ash being in danger clouded his judgment and made him forget to counter/block, but this is exactly the sort of situation where his supposed greater experience should have come into play and made him use a counterattack like it was 2nd nature. In addition there’s also the matter that he actually was significantly affected by those attacks. For the first 2 they stunned him to the point that he could do nothing about the 3rd and then the 3rd flings him back and makes him crash into the ground after which he needed Pignite to defend him while he got up. I just can’t see the writers making something like this happen if this were a Pokémon like say Flint’s Infernape in that situation.

It sounds as if you dislike Ash's Charizard being at the top, and I feel you're using this improper example as some proof to knock him down several pegs.
Ash’s Charizard is my favorite Pokémon character in the entire anime. I was freakin hyped when I saw the opening for this arc and saw it facing-off with a freakin Reshiram (if that had actually happened and Zard managed to hold his own, then there’d be no debate that he’s Ash’s strongest). Instead they have him looking pathetic against fodder grunt tier pokémon to my sheer disappointment.

The writers wrote a sequence where all of the BW Pokemon got their moment. Charizard got his moment because he risked himself to protect the others by doing a split-second body block.
He should have intuitively done a split second counter with Slash or Dragon Tail (would have been cool af if he smashed those Shadow Balls back to the enemy with Dragon Tail). He should have been able to counter the 3rd Shadow Ball with Flamethrower. He should not have needed Pignite to defend him while he got up.

Pignite got his moment of protecting his bro Charizard.
Yeah and displayed better battle sense in the process despite supposedly having way less combat experience.

Krookodile got his moment of digging and providing distractiing cover. Oshawott and Snivy helped with their attacks. It wasn't meant to be a unilateral glory sequence for Charizard like say, Ash vs Gary.
Sure and as a consequence it just undermined Zard supposedly being on this completely different lvl from Ash’s other pokémon present there.

In DP99 we have a similar case of inconsistency where Aaron’s pokémon take significant damage from TRio pokémon which really shouldn’t be happening to E4 pokémon. We know Aaron is on the lower end of E4 members since according to Ash, Brock and Dawn, Cynthia beat him pretty badly whereas in the last ep of DP Flint was actually giving her a run for her money. From there based on Zard’s previous feats I’m fine with putting him in E4 lvl and maybe he could even go toe to toe with lower end E4 Aces like Aaron’s Drapion, but I can’t accept this notion that Zard is supposedly on some unquantifiably higher lvl with no way of capping him since like it or not, Zard’s portrayal in BW 121 does make it as clear as day that the writers don’t view him in the same vein as they do Champion and top end E4 pokémon.

---------------------------------------

She still literally did not bother to block, dodge or counter a single 1 of Axew’s moves (Axew still loses energy even if she does any of those things) and prior to Deus Ex Giga Impact treated said moves like they didn’t exist. Also as Hanto pointed out, pokémon can suppress the power of their moves, so it would make the most sense that she was doing so against Axew (and there’s no way to bound her degree of suppression). If you’re gonna use charge time, then remember that Base Gardevoir’s Moonblast had a visible charge time against Base Greninja and I also think that Base Gardevoir was suppressing herself from a power standpoint against Base Greninja since KOing him before he transforms would have gone against the premise of the battle. In general my point is that charge times can’t be used to prove that a pokémon used a move with serious intent to KO.

Last edited:

Dream Lad

Banned
That was just a friendly training session, not a serious battle unlike in Paul's case. Nobody excepted Axew uses freaking Giga Impact.

It wasn't any different. Both Paul and Iris challenged Cynthia to a battle. Iris was more respectful about it, but it was the same thing. And just like against Paul, Cynthia allowed Iris and her Pokemon to make the initial blows before going for the kill.
-----------------------

IDK maybe not battling for such a long time caused his durability to get rusty. You realise he used Slash to counter right? Him coming out of it without visible damage just means the moves cancelled each other out; it’s really not a tanking feat.

"Rusty"... tell that to Dragonite. Doesn't Ash even say "show the results of your training"? Charizard is obviously still training; we know his personality.

Well I guess the Articuno that fought Charizard really wasn’t that great attack wise. Matter of fact Brandon’s Dusclops needed fewer hits to KO it later on (IIRC Articuno got about 7-8 hits in whereas Dusclops needed 5 for the KO). Doesn’t change that Charizard was fully serious and on guard. If it’s supposed to have so much combat experience, then it should have intuitively used a move (e.g. Slash, Dragon Tail) to counter the incoming attacks as it was rushing towards Ash. You could say that Ash being in danger clouded his judgment and made him forget to counter/block, but this is exactly the sort of situation where his supposed greater experience should have come into play and made him use a counterattack like it was 2nd nature. In addition there’s also the matter that he actually was significantly affected by those attacks. For the first 2 they stunned him to the point that he could do nothing about the 3rd and then the 3rd flings him back and makes him crash into the ground after which he needed Pignite to defend him while he got up. I just can’t see the writers making something like this happen if this were a Pokémon like say Flint’s Infernape in that situation.

What are you trying to prove? You're putting so much inordinate weight on a non-battle scenario to denigrate Charizard to grunt fodder status. You're ignoring writing context and using a singular inappropriate example that is outright contradicted by Charizard's multiple battling performances. The writers wanted a scenario where the BW team works together, not a scenario where Charizard can take out all the grunt Pokemon by himself, which he is more than capable of doing. We only have to look at the dozens and dozens of TR episodes where it takes the group to blast them off even though 1 Pokemon is more than capable of doing it.

I know what you're doing here. Whatever issue you have with people considering Charizard as Ash's best Pokemon is now pigeon-holing you into claiming that an Articuno (a legendary Pokemon) or Iris' Dragonite or Harrison's OP Blaziken now have weaker attacks than grunt Pokemon because you're legitimately putting weight on this inappropriate example.

Ash’s Charizard is my favorite Pokémon character in the entire anime. I was freakin hyped when I saw the opening for this arc and saw it facing-off with a freakin Reshiram (if that had actually happened and Zard managed to hold his own, then there’d be no debate that he’s Ash’s strongest). Instead they have him looking pathetic against fodder grunt tier pokémon to my sheer disappointment. He should have intuitively done a split second counter with Slash or Dragon Tail (would have been cool af if he smashed those Shadow Balls back to the enemy with Dragon Tail). He should have been able to counter the 3rd Shadow Ball with Flamethrower. He should not have needed Pignite to defend him while he got up. Yeah and displayed better battle sense in the process despite supposedly having way less combat experience.

Should of, could of...it doesn't matter. It wasn't a battling scenario. It was depicted as Charizard doing a heroic split second body block that would inspire Pignite and the others to follow suit to work as a team. That's the intention. You're making a dramatically inappropriate extrapolation of it to suggest that it means that the writers don't consider Charizard as E4 level, which is so obviously not the purpose of this scene.

Sure and as a consequence it just undermined Zard supposedly being on this completely different lvl from Ash’s other pokémon present there.In DP99 we have a similar case of inconsistency where Aaron’s pokémon take significant damage from TRio pokémon which really shouldn’t be happening to E4 pokémon. We know Aaron is on the lower end of E4 members since according to Ash, Brock and Dawn, Cynthia beat him pretty badly whereas in the last ep of DP Flint was actually giving her a run for her money. From there based on Zard’s previous feats I’m fine with putting him in E4 lvl and maybe he could even go toe to toe with lower end E4 Aces like Aaron’s Drapion, but I can’t accept this notion that Zard is supposedly on some unquantifiably higher lvl with no way of capping him since like it or not, Zard’s portrayal in BW 121 does make it as clear as day that the writers don’t view him in the same vein as they do Champion and top end E4 pokémon.

That's your opinion of where you place Charizard. However, 100% the writers don't base their views of Charizard on BW121. You know where they think of Charizard? His battles. How powerful he was when they had him go toe-to-toe against an OP dream Entei, triple sweep Gary including his Blatoise, injure Harrison's Blaziken (Harrison would have been the league champion otherwise) to point that the Pokemon Center couldn't even heal him normally, defeat an Articuno, and be on the verge of destroying Iris' Dragonite without a scratch. Those are how they perceive Charizard.

She still literally did not bother to block, dodge or counter a single 1 of Axew’s moves (Axew still loses energy even if she does any of those things) and prior to Deus Ex Giga Impact treated said moves like they didn’t exist. Also as Hanto pointed out, pokémon can suppress the power of their moves, so it would make the most sense that she was doing so against Axew (and there’s no way to bound her degree of suppression). If you’re gonna use charge time, then remember that Base Gardevoir’s Moonblast had a visible charge time against Base Greninja and I also think that Base Gardevoir was suppressing herself from a power standpoint against Base Greninja since KOing him before he transforms would have gone against the premise of the battle. In general my point is that charge times can’t be used to prove that a pokémon used a move with serious intent to KO.

Cynthia baited out Axew's movepool and the extent of its attack power before going for the kill. She did something similar same against Paul.

And why are you bringing up the can of worms that's Greninja vs Gardevoir? I'm not going to delve into that topic.

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
It wasn't any different. Both Paul and Iris challenged Cynthia to a battle. Iris was more respectful about it, but it was the same thing. And just like against Paul, Cynthia allowed Iris and her Pokemon to make the initial blows before going for the kill.
If you believe that Cynthia treated those battles equivalently, then you’re objectively mistaken. That’s all there is to it.
-----------------------

"Rusty"... tell that to Dragonite. Doesn't Ash even say "show the results of your training"? Charizard is obviously still training; we know his personality.
It’s training but we have no idea if it’s practicing tanking hits hence why I said in terms of durability.

What are you trying to prove? You're putting so much inordinate weight on a non-battle scenario to denigrate Charizard to grunt fodder status.
You're ignoring writing context and using a singular inappropriate example that is outright contradicted by Charizard's multiple battling performances.
I’m just pointing out something that was explicitly shown and contradicts Charizard being some epic tier pokémon (champion or top end e4 lvl) like you want to make him out to be by claiming he’s reached some unquantifiably higher lvl with no way to cap him. Well sorry to rain on your wanking of him, but this very much caps how strong Charizard could possibly be.

The writers wanted a scenario where the BW team works together,
Then they should have written a scenario which didn’t undermine Charizard but guess what; they didn’t!

not a scenario where Charizard can take out all the grunt Pokemon by himself, which he is more than capable of doing.
Yeah well getting flung back and crashing into the ground after only 3 Shadow Balls + needing Pignite to defend him while he got up really isn’t helping the case that he could.

We only have to look at the dozens and dozens of TR episodes where it takes the group to blast them off even though 1 Pokemon is more than capable of doing it.
There were way more pokémon present there than TRio ever had lol. Also how they’re beaten tends to vary a lot (usually because the equipment they use tends to vary in quality).

I know what you're doing here. Whatever issue you have with people considering Charizard as Ash's best Pokemon is now pigeon-holing you into claiming that an Articuno (a legendary Pokemon) or Iris' Dragonite or Harrison's OP Blaziken now have weaker attacks than grunt Pokemon because you're legitimately putting weight on this inappropriate example.
Just pointing out what the anime has explicitly shown. I guess being a legendary like Articuno isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Charizard never had to actually tank any of Iris’s Dragonite’s moves because he countered them all with attacks of his own and this just means Harrison’s Blaziken wasn’t really all that ‘op’. Also let’s clear the air here:

https://aminoapps.com/c/pokemon/pag...ongest-pokemon/QohX_ulBq7G3GY702d8npDmVR2MV3D

voting size: 85

https://aminoapps.com/c/pokemon/pag...ongest-pokemon/WzhX_ukn1KgoZEXdx5B0oWez63w4pp

voting size: 116

https://aminoapps.com/c/pokemon/pag...ongest-pokemon/1Gh6_udqoLx6dLmepRRxJXa7mwe5v6

voting size: 64

https://aminoapps.com/c/pokemon/pag...s-greninja-poll/QohX_ukKleqW2gqv8j8m80X57ll6x

voting size: 160

http://aminoapps.com/p/4oxsjk

voting size: 102

There’s high variability both in terms of when the polls were done and the specific members that voted in each poll. I hate to break it to you, but I’m well aware that Charizard isn’t considered Ash’s best in the broader pokémon anime community and is consistently outperformed by Greninja with regards to consensus opinion of who’s stronger, so it really doesn’t bother me what people here specifically believe.

Should of, could of...it doesn't matter. It wasn't a battling scenario.
You’re right; it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter whether it was a battling scenario or not since that doesn’t change Charizard’s attributes likes his durability or battle sense with the former being shown to be low enough that he got owned by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon and him being blatantly outperformed by Pignite in the latter.

It was depicted as Charizard doing a heroic split second body block that would inspire Pignite and the others to follow suit to work as a team. That's the intention.
It was explicitly depicted that Charizard doesn’t have the battle sense to instinctively counter/block and has low enough durability that 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon were able to fling it back and make it crash into the ground with it then needing Pignite to defend it while getting up.

You're making a dramatically inappropriate extrapolation of it to suggest that it means that the writers don't consider Charizard as E4 level, which is so obviously not the purpose of this scene.
I wonder if you actually understand how to properly use the word ‘inappropriate’ or if you’re just throwing it around like a buzzword. Also strawman; I never said that Zard isn’t E4 lvl (actually I outright said in my above post that I do put him in the E4 spectrum). Cool and you have zero objective basis with which to support that belief.

That's your opinion of where you place Charizard.
It’s either there or lower. Aaron’s pokémon are the strongest we know of (being E4 lvl by definition) who were also shown to be capable of taking significant damage from grunt tier pokémon (TRio’s). They’ve never and I can’t fathom them ever portraying a Champion’s Ace or a top end E4 Ace pokémon (like Flint’s Infernape) to be so pitiful against such weak opponents and since they did that to Charizard, it would stand to reason that they don’t view him in the same vein as they do those true ‘epic tier’ pokémon.

However, 100% the writers don't base their views of Charizard on BW121.
This on the other hand is entirely opinion based, and you have no way of objectivity supporting it.

You know where they think of Charizard? His battles. How powerful he was when they had him go toe-to-toe against an OP dream Entei,
That was about to literally murder him yes I remember.
triple sweep Gary including his Blatoise,
Everyone except Blastoise would be utter fodder for E4 Aces and even Blastoise at best would do about as well as Pikachu did against Agatha’s Gengar ( which by the end of the battle wasn’t much since Gengar used Dream Eater). Actually nvm that’s ‘just my opinion’ would be your retort. So please do tell... how do Gary’s pokémon measure up to E4 lvl? burden of proof is on you to justify that they would be comparable to a lvl that’s on the top end of the trainer pokémon spectrum.

injure Harrison's Blaziken (Harrison would have been the league champion otherwise) to point that the Pokemon Center couldn't even heal him normally,
Okay and how does Harrison’s Blaziken compare to the E4? Again burden of proof is on you.

defeat an Articuno,
Guess that means you overrate Articuno. Brandon’s Dusclops is demonstrably better.

and be on the verge of destroying Iris' Dragonite without a scratch. Those are how they perceive Charizard.
I mean... they did have 3 move clashes where in none of them was Charizard able to actually overpower Dragonite. What gave it the advantage was catching Dragonite off guard with it’s amazing speed and then landing a solid super effective hit. Charizard is substantially better than Dragonite but let’s not act like there’s some astronomic difference between the 2 (else Zard should have outright overpowered Dragonite in the Flamethrower vs Flamethrower, Wing Attack vs Thunder Punch and Slash vs Dragon Rush move clashes but he didn’t).

And of course finally, after all of those oh so ‘great’ feats, they have Charizard get flung back and crash into the ground from 3 Shadow Balls by fodder grunt tier pokémon with him then needing Pignite to defend him while he takes his sweet time getting up. I rest my case.

Cynthia baited out Axew's movepool and the extent of its attack power before going for the kill. She did something similar same against Paul.
Garchomp did not block, dodge or counter any of Axew’s moves. Garchomp blocked, dodged and countered every single 1 of Paul’s pokémon’s moves with the sole exception being when she was physically unable to due to Giga Impact recharge. I’ll let the readers decide if she was truly treating both battles equivalently on the basis of the descriptive facts I’ve just stated.

And why are you bringing up the can of worms that's Greninja vs Gardevoir? I'm not going to delve into that topic.
I brought up an aspect that I figured you agreed with so as to make a more general point about move charging =/= seriousness in particular intent to KO, but whatever.

Last edited:

Dream Lad

Banned
If you believe that Cynthia treated those battles equivalently, then you’re objectively mistaken. That’s all there is to it.

How am I "objectively" mistaken? Paul challenged her to a battle. Iris challenged her to a battle. Both were field challenges.

-----------------------

It’s training but we have no idea if it’s practicing tanking hits hence why I said in terms of durability.

There's a plethora of battles where Charizard has proved his durability, therefore that's not even something can be questioned. Nowhere was it insinuated or made a plot point that Charizard is "rusty" and that his tanking ability has diminished. It's quite frankly the opposite; Charizard is still training, naturally all aspects of his battling are going to improve.

I’m just pointing out something that was explicitly shown and contradicts Charizard being some epic tier pokémon (champion or top end e4 lvl) like you want to make him out to be by claiming he’s reached some unquantifiably higher lvl with no way to cap him. Well sorry to rain on your wanking of him, but this very much caps how strong Charizard could possibly be. Then they should have written a scenario which didn’t undermine Charizard but guess what; they didn’t! Yeah well getting flung back and crashing into the ground after only 3 Shadow Balls + needing Pignite to defend him while he got up really isn’t helping the case that he could. There were way more pokémon present there than TRio ever had lol. Also how they’re beaten tends to vary a lot (usually because the equipment they use tends to vary in quality).

You are intentionally overthinking and overanalyzing a non-battling situation that had a clear writing aim and equating it to bonafide battles that otherwise contradict it.

Just pointing out what the anime has explicitly shown. I guess being a legendary like Articuno isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Charizard never had to actually tank any of Iris’s Dragonite’s moves because he countered them all with attacks of his own and this just means Harrison’s Blaziken wasn’t really all that ‘op’. Also let’s clear the air here:

Yes, the anime has explicitly shown Charizard's true power levels in those battles. That is where the writers intended for the audience to see Charizard's might. It's a major contradiction if you put more stake in BW121 over all those battles. And it's forcing you to concomitantly belittle the power of a legendary Pokemon in the process because there's no other way you can explain it. It wasn't even a negative showing like you're making it out to be. The anime made it out to be heroic, not with any implication whatsoever that it means Charizard isn't some powerful Pokemon after all.

https://aminoapps.com/c/pokemon/pag...ongest-pokemon/QohX_ulBq7G3GY702d8npDmVR2MV3D

voting size: 85

https://aminoapps.com/c/pokemon/pag...ongest-pokemon/WzhX_ukn1KgoZEXdx5B0oWez63w4pp

voting size: 116

https://aminoapps.com/c/pokemon/pag...ongest-pokemon/1Gh6_udqoLx6dLmepRRxJXa7mwe5v6

voting size: 64

https://aminoapps.com/c/pokemon/pag...s-greninja-poll/QohX_ukKleqW2gqv8j8m80X57ll6x

voting size: 160

http://aminoapps.com/p/4oxsjk

voting size: 102

There’s high variability both in terms of when the polls were done and the specific members that voted in each poll. I hate to break it to you, but I’m well aware that Charizard isn’t considered Ash’s best in the broader pokémon anime community and is consistently outperformed by Greninja with regards to consensus opinion of who’s stronger, so it really doesn’t bother me what people here specifically believe.

Greninja is not the topic of discussion, so this is 100% irrelevant. I've never even heard of this website before. Besides, give us a day and @MockingJ and I could probably convince at least half those voters that Charizard is just as good if not better.

You’re right; it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter whether it was a battling scenario or not since that doesn’t change Charizard’s attributes likes his durability or battle sense with the former being shown to be low enough that he got owned by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon and him being blatantly outperformed by Pignite in the latter. It was explicitly depicted that Charizard doesn’t have the battle sense to instinctively counter/block and has low enough durability that 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon were able to fling it back and make it crash into the ground with it then needing Pignite to defend it while getting up. I wonder if you actually understand how to properly use the word ‘inappropriate’ or if you’re just throwing it around like a buzzword. Also strawman; I never said that Zard isn’t E4 lvl (actually I outright said in my above post that I do put him in the E4 spectrum). Cool and you have zero objective basis with which to support that belief. It’s either there or lower. Aaron’s pokémon are the strongest we know of (being E4 lvl by definition) who were also shown to be capable of taking significant damage from grunt tier pokémon (TRio’s). They’ve never and I can’t fathom them ever portraying a Champion’s Ace or a top end E4 Ace pokémon (like Flint’s Infernape) to be so pitiful against such weak opponents and since they did that to Charizard, it would stand to reason that they don’t view him in the same vein as they do those true ‘epic tier’ pokémon. This on the other hand is entirely opinion based, and you have no way of objectivity supporting it. That was about to literally murder him yes I remember. Everyone except Blastoise would be utter fodder for E4 Aces and even Blastoise at best would do about as well as Pikachu did against Agatha’s Gengar ( which by the end of the battle wasn’t much since Gengar used Dream Eater). Actually nvm that’s ‘just my opinion’ would be your retort. So please do tell... how do Gary’s pokémon measure up to E4 lvl? burden of proof is on you to justify that they would be comparable to a lvl that’s on the top end of the trainer pokémon spectrum. Okay and how does Harrison’s Blaziken compare to the E4? Again burden of proof is on you. Guess that means you overrate Articuno. Brandon’s Dusclops is demonstrably better. I mean... they did have 3 move clashes where in none of them was Charizard able to actually overpower Dragonite. What gave it the advantage was catching Dragonite off guard with it’s amazing speed and then landing a solid super effective hit. Charizard is substantially better than Dragonite but let’s not act like there’s some astronomic difference between the 2 (else Zard should have outright overpowered Dragonite in the Flamethrower vs Flamethrower, Wing Attack vs Thunder Punch and Slash vs Dragon Rush move clashes but he didn’t). And of course finally, after all of those oh so ‘great’ feats, they have Charizard get flung back and crash into the ground from 3 Shadow Balls by fodder grunt tier pokémon with him then needing Pignite to defend him while he takes his sweet time getting up. I rest my case.

I don't know why you're changing the topic into a discussion of Elite 4 power levels. Forget Elite 4. Majority of Ash's Pokemon and random POTDs have tanked more damaging blows in battles than those grunt Pokemon attacks and have gotten right back. This is why it's an inappropriate comparison. The debate is simply over using BW121 as some valid marker of Charizard's power, which it clearly is not.

Garchomp did not block, dodge or counter any of Axew’s moves. Garchomp blocked, dodged and countered every single 1 of Paul’s pokémon’s moves with the sole exception being when she was physically unable to due to Giga Impact recharge. I’ll let the readers decide if she was truly treating both battles equivalently on the basis of the descriptive facts I’ve just stated. I brought up an aspect that I figured you agreed with so as to make a more general point about move charging =/= seriousness in particular intent to KO, but whatever.

That's because Cynthia/Garchomp know Axew's attacks probably aren't going to hurt as much. It doesn't make the field challenge itself any less different.

Genaller

Silver Soul
How am I "objectively" mistaken? Paul challenged her to a battle. Iris challenged her to a battle. Both were field challenges.
Explained below.

-----------------------

There's a plethora of battles where Charizard has proved his durability, therefore that's not even something can be questioned. Nowhere was it insinuated or made a plot point that Charizard is "rusty" and that his tanking ability has diminished. It's quite frankly the opposite; Charizard is still training, naturally all aspects of his battling are going to improve.
Yeah this is getting old; let’s get to the heart of the matter. What was my intention for bringing up this performance? To show that Charizard is capable of being massively inconsistent thus dispelling this notion that he is apparently Ash’s ‘most consistent’ pokémon. Sorry but you can’t have a pokémon get flung back and crash into the ground from only 3 Shadow Balls by fodder grunt tier pokémon and then need Pignite to defend it while it gets up, and then turn around and call it the paragon of consistency as far as Ash Pokémon go. That is objective rubbish.

You are intentionally overthinking and overanalyzing a non-battling situation that had a clear writing aim and equating it to bonafide battles that otherwise contradict it.
All I’m doing is stating what was explicitly shown. Let me do it again: Charizard got owned by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon and then needed Pignite defending him while he took his sweet time getting up. It’s only a ‘contradiction’ if we assume Charizard is the paragon of consistency, but as blatantly shown here, Charizard is capable of being massively inconsistent.

Yes, the anime has explicitly shown Charizard's true power levels in those battles.
And yet after all those times they show him getting flung back and crashing into the ground by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon and then needing Pignite defending him while he got up.
That is where the writers intended for the audience to see Charizard's might. It's a major contradiction if you put more stake in BW121 over all those battles.
Nah there’s no contradiction; it just shows that he’s not the beacon of consistency that you want to make him out to be.

And it's forcing you to concomitantly belittle the power of a legendary Pokemon in the process because there's no other way you can explain it.
Actually nah I can explain it another way; Charizard is...... wait for it..... inconsistent!. I was mainly doing the belittling before for fun; realistically though I still think Articuno is capped by Brandon’s Dusclops based on how both performed against Charizard and that caps both Articuno and BF Zard at E4 non-ace lvl (it’d be a bit ridiculous if Brandon, even if he is the strongest FB, had non-aces on the lvl of E4 Aces or higher). We objectively know that Dusclops needed fewer hits than Articuno to get the KO. We also objectively know that even before the ST blunder, Dusclops had well over 50% of his health remaining as he went on to survive 4 iterations of Leech Seed draining (1/8 * 4 = 1/2) and Bulbasaur still needed Razor Leaf + Solarbeam to get the job done. E4 non-Ace lvl is the fairest rating I can give both of them at that point, but hey; that’s just ‘my opinion’ right (even if I justify it far better than you can your wanked assessments of them).

It wasn't even a negative showing like you're making it out to be.
I’m just stating what was shown: Charizard shielded Ash without having the intuitive battle sense to use a counter move, then got stunned by the 2 incoming Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon resulting in him apparently being unable to do anything about the 3rd Shadow Ball from another fodder grunt tier pokémon which sent him flinging back and crashing into the ground after which he required Pignite defending him as he got up.

The anime made it out to be heroic, not with any implication whatsoever that it means Charizard isn't some powerful Pokemon after all.
Yeah and in the process made his battle sense out to be worse than Pignite’s xD. If the anime wanted to, they could have written a scenario where he looks heroic without being inconsistent (it’s not hard), but they didn’t! Therefore, say it with me, Charizard is inconsistent!

Greninja is not the topic of discussion, so this is 100% irrelevant. I've never even heard of this website before. Besides, give us a day and @MockingJ and I could probably convince at least half those voters that Charizard is just as good if not better.
You said that I’m only doing this because I don’t like people putting Charizard on top (a.k.a you’re the 1 who brought up Charizard’s placement relative to other Ash pokémon into this discussion); I used those polls as a means of showing that based on my cognizance the majority of pokémon anime fans don’t put Zard on top therefore refuting the accusation lodged at me (since I wouldn’t really care about such a minority opinion). Please I dare you to try; it’ll be a good humbling experience for you to realize that the broader pokémon anime community doesn’t give a s*** about what you have to say, or do you just not have the Voltorbs to do it ^_^. Also it’s amusing that you pinged mockingj of all people; I guess alternate accounts tend to be kindred spirits xD.

I don't know why you're changing the topic into a discussion of Elite 4 power levels.
Because Aaron’s pokémon are the strongest we know of while being capable of displaying similar inconsistency, hence putting Zard at their lvl (meaning he’d be capped at lower E4 Ace lvl) is the best I can give him given this performance. He’s not on some unquantifiably higher lvl and he’s certainly not on the lvl of real ‘epic tier’ pokémon like Champion Aces and top end E4 Aces.

Forget Elite 4. Majority of Ash's Pokemon and random POTDs have tanked more damaging blows in battles than those grunt Pokemon attacks and have gotten right back.
Majority of Ash’s pokémon are inconsistent; I’m just showing that Charizard is right there with them and is not some paragon of consistency.

This is why it's an inappropriate comparison. The debate is simply over using BW121 as some valid marker of Charizard's power, which it clearly is not.
Your use of the word ‘inappropriate’ is inappropriate. That performance shows that Charizard is capable of being massively inconsistent; there is no way around it, so let’s stop this whole ‘Charizard is the most consistent Ash pokémon ever and has reached some unquantifiably high lvl with no means of capping him’ shall we.

That's because Cynthia/Garchomp know Axew's attacks probably aren't going to hurt as much. It doesn't make the field challenge itself any less different.

Underrating much are we? Ash and Cilan even confirm that Axew’s attacks were literally doing no damage. Whatever man... blocked, dodged and countered in 1 while doing none of those in the other; that’s all I need to say with regards to how seriously Garchomp was taking both battles.

If you wanna keep going in this circle, then fine by me. I can just keep pointing out how Charizard is a blatantly inconsistent pokémon forever and ever :^).

Last edited:

Dream Lad

Banned
Yeah this is getting old; let’s get to the heart of the matter. What was my intention for bringing up this performance? To show that Charizard is capable of being massively inconsistent thus dispelling this notion that he is apparently Ash’s ‘most consistent’ pokémon. Sorry but you can’t have a pokémon get flung back and crash into the ground from only 3 Shadow Balls by fodder grunt tier pokémon and then need Pignite to defend it while it gets up, and then turn around and call it the paragon of consistency as far as Ash Pokémon go. That is objective rubbish.

What is "objective rubbish" is choosing to downplay Charizard's entire battling resume that shows his consistency and placing equal or greater weight on a non-battling situation with a clear writing purpose.

All I’m doing is stating what was explicitly shown. Let me do it again: Charizard got owned by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon and then needed Pignite defending him while he took his sweet time getting up. It’s only a ‘contradiction’ if we assume Charizard is the paragon of consistency, but as blatantly shown here, Charizard is capable of being massively inconsistent.

Defeated Blaine's Magmar.
Defeated Luana's Alakazam/Marowak with Pikachu.
Defeated Drake's Electabuzz.
Defeated Falkner's Pidgeot.
Topped Charicific Valley (Also, Ash tells the group that Charizard is still at the Valley and Oak mentions that Charizard had arrived from there, so he's still training)
Went toe-to-toe against a broken dream Entei.
Defeated Clair's Dragonair.
Defeated Gary's Scizor, Golem, and Blastoise.
Practically drew against Harrison's Blaziken.
Defeated Noland's Articuno.
Would have defeated Brandon's Dusclops if not for PIS writing needing to take him out to give glory to the other Pokemon.
(Given a special montage sequence that no other Pokemon of Ash's has received where Ash emphasizes how Charizard has been so clutch and consistent for him in so many battles.)
Would have destroyed Iris' Dragonite if not for N's intervention.

That is consistency in battles against opponents much stronger than grunt fodder Pokemon. That is what the writers want you to think of Charizard's power. Not fishing for a single non-battling situation in an effort to diminish Charizard's resume as Ash's most battle-tested and consistent Pokemon.

And yet after all those times they show him getting flung back and crashing into the ground by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon and then needing Pignite defending him while he got up. Nah there’s no contradiction; it just shows that he’s not the beacon of consistency that you want to make him out to be. Actually nah I can explain it another way; Charizard is...... wait for it..... inconsistent!. I was mainly doing the belittling before for fun; realistically though I still think Articuno is capped by Brandon’s Dusclops based on how both performed against Charizard and that caps both Articuno and BF Zard at E4 non-ace lvl (it’d be a bit ridiculous if Brandon, even if he is the strongest FB, had non-aces on the lvl of E4 Aces or higher). We objectively know that Dusclops needed fewer hits than Articuno to get the KO. We also objectively know that even before the ST blunder, Dusclops had well over 50% of his health remaining as he went on to survive 4 iterations of Leech Seed draining (1/8 * 4 = 1/2) and Bulbasaur still needed Razor Leaf + Solarbeam to get the job done. E4 non-Ace lvl is the fairest rating I can give both of them at that point, but hey; that’s just ‘my opinion’ right (even if I justify it far better than you can your wanked assessments of them). I’m just stating what was shown: Charizard shielded Ash without having the intuitive battle sense to use a counter move, then got stunned by the 2 incoming Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon resulting in him apparently being unable to do anything about the 3rd Shadow Ball from another fodder grunt tier pokémon which sent him flinging back and crashing into the ground after which he required Pignite defending him as he got up. Yeah and in the process made his battle sense out to be worse than Pignite’s xD. If the anime wanted to, they could have written a scenario where he looks heroic without being inconsistent (it’s not hard), but they didn’t! Therefore, say it with me, Charizard is inconsistent!

I don't know what to say. Literally nobody except you is going to think Charizard can't handle grunt fodder Pokemon. The scenario was clearly written with an aim to give everybody a chance to shine, so they had to write it so Charizard doesn't just unilaterally take them out. This happens all the time in the show with Team Rocket and POTDs. It is inappropriate thinking. You are putting more value in this non-battling scenario with a clear writing aim over battling scenarios, and in the process undermining every single opponent that Charizard had faced in the process.

You said that I’m only doing this because I don’t like people putting Charizard on top (a.k.a you’re the 1 who brought up Charizard’s placement relative to other Ash pokémon into this discussion); I used those polls as a means of showing that based on my cognizance the majority of pokémon anime fans don’t put Zard on top therefore refuting the accusation lodged at me (since I wouldn’t really care about such a minority opinion). Please I dare you to try; it’ll be a good humbling experience for you to realize that the broader pokémon anime community doesn’t give a s*** about what you have to say, or do you just not have the Voltorbs to do it ^_^. Also it’s amusing that you pinged mockingj of all people; I guess alternate accounts tend to be kindred spirits xD.

Once again, irrelevant to the debate. Lol @MockingJ , didn't realize you were my alt?

Because Aaron’s pokémon are the strongest we know of while being capable of displaying similar inconsistency, hence putting Zard at their lvl (meaning he’d be capped at lower E4 Ace lvl) is the best I can give him given this performance. He’s not on some unquantifiably higher lvl and he’s certainly not on the lvl of real ‘epic tier’ pokémon like Champion Aces and top end E4 Aces. Majority of Ash’s pokémon are inconsistent; I’m just showing that Charizard is right there with them and is not some paragon of consistency. Your use of the word ‘inappropriate’ is inappropriate. That performance shows that Charizard is capable of being massively inconsistent; there is no way around it, so let’s stop this whole ‘Charizard is the most consistent Ash pokémon ever and has reached some unquantifiably high lvl with no means of capping him’ shall we.

Every single Pokemon has moments of inconsistency. In battles, Charizard has been one of the most consistent, if not the most. You can choose to overvalue what happened in BW121 all you want, but the clear objective context and purpose of that sequence was for all of Ash's BW team to work together.

Underrating much are we? Ash and Cilan even confirm that Axew’s attacks were literally doing no damage. Whatever man... blocked, dodged and countered in 1 while doing none of those in the other; that’s all I need to say with regards to how seriously Garchomp was taking both battles. If you wanna keep going in this circle, then fine by me. I can just keep pointing out how Charizard is a blatantly inconsistent pokémon forever and ever :^).

Your entire argument is putting inappropriate greater weight on a singular non-battling situation with a clear writing purpose over Charizard's entire battling resume that thoroughly contradicts it in every way. You can keep pointing it out all of you want, but you're unable to reconcile it in lieu with Charizard's consistent battling resume. The consistent battling resume trumps everything else.

Genaller

Silver Soul
What is "objective rubbish" is choosing to downplay Charizard's entire battling resume that shows his consistency and placing equal or greater weight on a non-battling situation with a clear writing purpose.
More like assigning the appropriate constraints to how strong Charizard could possibly be and still be capable of displaying such an inconsistency. Also this whole ‘non-battling situation’ being used as a means of downplaying the significance of the performance can also be added to your list of objective rubbish. Charizard was in a situation where Ash, Pignite and all of his other friends were in danger (worst case scenario is they’re imprisoned or die) ergo the stakes were actually higher than in most actual battles and yet despite this Charizard had durability low enough that it got sent flinging back crashing into the ground by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon after which he required Pignite to defend him while he took his sweet time getting up with Pignite outright showcasing superior battle sense over him. All of this happened after the rest of his ‘battling resume’ meaning even after everything he did, the writers view him as someone who is capable of looking so pathetic against such pitiful opponents. It’s an inconsistency and let’s acknowledge it as such meaning we can put an end to this rubbish about Charizard being some paragon of consistency like you are so desperately trying to make him out to be.

Defeated Blaine's Magmar.
Where does it stack up to the E4?
Defeated Luana's Alakazam/Marowak with Pikachu.
Where do they stack up to the E4?
Defeated Drake's Electabuzz.
Defeated Falkner's Pidgeot.
Topped Charicific Valley (Also, Ash tells the group that Charizard is still at the Valley and Oak mentions that Charizard had arrived from there, so he's still training)
How do the other Charizard in that valley stack up to the E4?
Went toe-to-toe against a broken dream Entei.
Ended up with it’s head on the ground and about to get literally murdered yes.
Defeated Clair's Dragonair.
Defeated Gary's Scizor, Golem, and Blastoise.
Practically drew against Harrison's Blaziken.
Defeated Noland's Articuno.
Capped by Brandon’s Dusclops that can at best be E4 non-Ace lvl.
Would have defeated Brandon's Dusclops if not for PIS writing needing to take him out to give glory to the other Pokemon.
Even before that supposed ‘PIS’ was 1 hit away from being KOed while Dusclops objectively had over half it’s health left.

(Given a special montage sequence that no other Pokemon of Ash's has received where Ash emphasizes how Charizard has been so clutch and consistent for him in so many battles.)
Vague and also redundant since most of the significant battles it contains have already been mentioned by you.
Would have destroyed Iris' Dragonite if not for N's intervention.
Had 3 even move clashes and N claims that both pokémon gained the other’s respect, so while Zard was much better let’s not act like the difference was astronomical.

Here’s the thing; I place Charizard at E4 lvl with him arguably being able to go toe to toe with lower end E4 Aces. If you want to claim that I’m downplaying with such a rating, then the onus is on you to show why Charizard should be placed above even a lvl as high as that on the basis of all of those feats that you painstakingly wrote.

That is consistency in battles against opponents much stronger than grunt fodder Pokemon.
And after all of that they had it flung back and crash into the ground by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon after which he needed Pignite to defend him while he took his sweet time getting up. This by definition shows that Charizard is capable of massive inconsistency; like it or not.

is what the writers want you to think of Charizard's power. Not fishing for a single non-battling situation in an effort to diminish Charizard's resume as Ash's most battle-tested and consistent Pokemon.
Then they shouldn’t have written a scenario where he looked so inconsistent with all of those prior performance. It’s completely absurd to call a pokémon capable of such inconsistency “Ash’s most consistent pokémon” and unfortunately your desperate excuses and speculations won’t change that!

I don't know what to say. Literally nobody except you is going to think Charizard can't handle grunt fodder Pokemon.
I don’t need anybody else here because it was explicitly shown that he was capable of getting owned like a beta b**** by said fodder grunt tier pokémon. It’s a massive inconsistency which proves my main point about Charizard not being Ash’s most consistent pokémon; there’s no way around this.

The scenario was clearly written with an aim to give everybody a chance to shine, so they had to write it so Charizard doesn't just unilaterally take them out.
You’re still sticking with that poor excuse? If they really wanted to, they could have just written a scenario where everyone gets appropriate shine and Charizard doesn’t look so inconsistent, but they didn’t! This means that on some lvl those writers do view Charizard to be capable of such inconsistency and whether you like it or not, that very much caps how strong he could possibly be.

This happens all the time in the show with Team Rocket and POTDs.
Yes inconsistencies happen a lot in this show and Charizard is no exception, so let’s acknowledge what Charizard is for such a performance; inconsistent!

It is inappropriate thinking.
Still inappropriately using the word ‘inappropriate’ I see.

You are putting more value in this non-battling scenario with a clear writing aim over battling scenarios, and in the process undermining every single opponent that Charizard had faced in the process.
Doesn’t change the fact of what actually happened and what that it implies that.... Charizard is... wait for it.... inconsistent!

Once again, irrelevant to the debate. Lol @MockingJ , didn't realize you were my alt?
Don’t make false accusations and then complain when they’re refuted with evidence by claiming irrelevance. You’re both alternate accounts of permabanned members Navin; I wonder if you really didn’t get what I meant or were just invoking a strawman.

single Pokemon has moments of inconsistency.
And Charizard is no exception. You’re never gonna see true epic tier pokémon like Champion Aces and top end E4 Aces portrayed like how Charizard against those fodder grunt tier pokémon ergo forgive me for not buying this BS that Charizard is apparently on some unquantifiably high lvl with no means to cap him.

In battles, Charizard has been one of the most consistent, if not the most. You can choose to overvalue what happened in BW121 all you want, but the clear objective context and purpose of that sequence was for all of Ash's BW team to work together.
Battles are pokémon using moves on each other so in essence this was most certainly a ‘battle’ just that the stakes were far higher than mere sport. It doesn’t excuse Charizard having low enough durability such that 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon could cause it to crash into the ground with it then needing Pignite defending him not to mention being objectively outperformed by Pignite in battle sense despite supposedly having so much more experience. Such factors objectively make Charizard an inconsistent pokémon; end of story!

Your entire argument is putting inappropriate greater weight on a singular non-battling situation with a clear writing purpose over Charizard's entire battling resume that thoroughly contradicts it in every way. You can keep pointing it out all of you want, but you're unable to reconcile it in lieu with Charizard's consistent battling resume. The consistent battling resume trumps everything else.
Yes and guess what that means; that Charizard is a, say it with me now, massively inconsistent pokémon! So please stop spouting this nonsense about him being the most consistent Ash pokémon ever and being at some unquantifiablly high lvl with no means of capping, but if that’s too hard then go on; continue to pour your utter desperation into this thread; I can just keep on pointing out what a factually inconsistent pokémon he is all year long ^_^.

Dream Lad

Banned
More like assigning the appropriate constraints to how strong Charizard could possibly be and still be capable of displaying such an inconsistency. Also this whole ‘non-battling situation’ being used as a means of downplaying the significance of the performance can also be added to your list of objective rubbish. Charizard was in a situation where Ash, Pignite and all of his other friends were in danger (worst case scenario is they’re imprisoned or die) ergo the stakes were actually higher than in most actual battles and yet despite this Charizard had durability low enough that it got sent flinging back crashing into the ground by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon after which he required Pignite to defend him while he took his sweet time getting up with Pignite outright showcasing superior battle sense over him. All of this happened after the rest of his ‘battling resume’ meaning even after everything he did, the writers view him as someone who is capable of looking so pathetic against such pitiful opponents. It’s an inconsistency and let’s acknowledge it as such meaning we can put an end to this rubbish about Charizard being some paragon of consistency like you are so desperately trying to make him out to be.

He's a paragon of consistency in his battles, which is what matters. Battles are the primary and highest value means of where writers show how powerful are Pokemon. They didn't write/animate that sequence in BW121 with your theorized intention of "Oh this means Charizard isn't Elite 4 level." No, they had a clear purpose with that scene, which was simply for everybody on Ash's team to make a contribution. This happens time and time again in the anime with TR.

How do the other Charizard in that valley stack up to the E4?

Ended up with it’s head on the ground and about to get literally murdered yes.

Capped by Brandon’s Dusclops that can at best be E4 non-Ace lvl.

Even before that supposed ‘PIS’ was 1 hit away from being KOed while Dusclops objectively had over half it’s health left.

Vague and also redundant since most of the significant battles it contains have already been mentioned by you.

Had 3 even move clashes and N claims that both pokémon gained the other’s respect, so while Zard was much better let’s not act like the difference was astronomical.

Here’s the thing; I place Charizard at E4 lvl with him arguably being able to go toe to toe with lower end E4 Aces. If you want to claim that I’m downplaying with such a rating, then the onus is on you to show why Charizard should be placed above even a lvl as high as that on the basis of all of those feats that you painstakingly wrote.

Dude, I don't know why you're changing the topic to about Elite 4s and your personal opinion of Charizard's power. This is solely about the sequence in BW121.

All those Pokemon that Charizard faced are stronger than grunt fodder Pokemon and unleashed attacks more powerful than the ones by the grunt fodder Pokemon that Charizard tanked and kept battling. The entire point is that Charizard's battling resume displays consistency, and trying to reduce him by inappropriately overvaluing and overanalyzing a non-battling situation with a clear writing aim (that didn't even show him in a bad light unlike what you're trying to spin it as) is just flat-out contradicted by said battling resume.

And after all of that they had it flung back and crash into the ground by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon after which he needed Pignite to defend him while he took his sweet time getting up. This by definition shows that Charizard is capable of massive inconsistency; like it or not. Then they shouldn’t have written a scenario where he looked so inconsistent with all of those prior performance. It’s completely absurd to call a pokémon capable of such inconsistency “Ash’s most consistent pokémon” and unfortunately your desperate excuses and speculations won’t change that! I don’t need anybody else here because it was explicitly shown that he was capable of getting owned like a beta b**** by said fodder grunt tier pokémon. It’s a massive inconsistency which proves my main point about Charizard not being Ash’s most consistent pokémon; there’s no way around this. You’re still sticking with that poor excuse? If they really wanted to, they could have just written a scenario where everyone gets appropriate shine and Charizard doesn’t look so inconsistent, but they didn’t! This means that on some lvl those writers do view Charizard to be capable of such inconsistency and whether you like it or not, that very much caps how strong he could possibly be. Yes inconsistencies happen a lot in this show and Charizard is no exception, so let’s acknowledge what Charizard is for such a performance; inconsistent! Still inappropriately using the word ‘inappropriate’ I see. Doesn’t change the fact of what actually happened and what that it implies that.... Charizard is... wait for it.... inconsistent!

So am I going look at the dozen battles where Charizard demonstrated consistency in his battling performances, tanking significantly more powerful moves while continuing to battle and often winning....or am I going to look at one non-battle sequence?

Well, if you consider the sequence in BW121 as how it's meant to be shown, which is Charizard doing a heroic split second body block without being commanded to protect the others from attacks by multiple Pokemon, and subsequently rallying the rest of Ash's BW team to help out (and no, that's not a battle in the normal sense of that word), then the writing context explains how it can align with Charizard's battling resume. Otherwise, it's a major contradiction if it's given equal or greater weight to battles.

Don’t make false accusations and then complain when they’re refuted with evidence by claiming irrelevance. You’re both alternate accounts of permabanned members Navin; I wonder if you really didn’t get what I meant or were just invoking a strawman.

You're listing polls from a random website, changing the debate topic, and now making weird conspiracy accusations of how I'm multiple people (Who else am I now? @345ash-greninja @PokemonBattleFanatic- ?). Meanwhile I just only want to talk about BW121 and how you thinks it makes Charizard an inconsistent "beta *****" despite his battling resume indicating the complete opposite.

And Charizard is no exception. You’re never gonna see true epic tier pokémon like Champion Aces and top end E4 Aces portrayed like how Charizard against those fodder grunt tier pokémon ergo forgive me for not buying this BS that Charizard is apparently on some unquantifiably high lvl with no means to cap him. Battles are pokémon using moves on each other so in essence this was most certainly a ‘battle’ just that the stakes were far higher than mere sport. It doesn’t excuse Charizard having low enough durability such that 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon could cause it to crash into the ground with it then needing Pignite defending him not to mention being objectively outperformed by Pignite in battle sense despite supposedly having so much more experience. Such factors objectively make Charizard an inconsistent pokémon; end of story! Yes and guess what that means; that Charizard is a, say it with me now, massively inconsistent pokémon! So please stop spouting this nonsense about him being the most consistent Ash pokémon ever and being at some unquantifiablly high lvl with no means of capping, but if that’s too hard then go on; continue to pour your utter desperation into this thread; I can just keep on pointing out what a factually inconsistent pokémon he is all year long ^_^.

So one instance in a non-battling situation with a clear writing aim now makes Charizard a "massively inconsistent Pokemon" despite his extensive battling resume suggesting the opposite. That's not how it works.

Look, if you want to say Charizard isn't E4 level or isn't Ash's strongest Pokemon, then by all means you're free to think that way. But trying to grab ahold of this sequence in BW121 and using that to justify why Charizard is now some inconsistent "beta *****" and not all that is what I'm proving as wrong and inappropriate.

Last edited:

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Sinnoh and Kalos gym-leaders were portraited as the strongest ones in the anime, so who will win? Megas included.
1. Roark VS Viola
2. Gardenia VS Grant
3. Maylene VS Korrina
4. Crasher Wake VS Ramos
5. Fantina VS Clemont
6. Byron VS Valerie
7. Candice VS Olympia
8. Volkner VS Wulfric
9. Cynthia VS Diantha

Roark, Grant, Korrina, Ramos, Fantina, Byron, Olympia, Wulfric, Cynthia. God, I feel so unclean having to admit that Cynthia would win against Diantha.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Flaming/Insulting Other People
He's a paragon of consistency in his battles, which is what matters. Battles are the primary and highest value means of where writers show how powerful are Pokemon. They didn't write/animate that sequence in BW121 with your theorized intention of "Oh this means Charizard isn't Elite 4 level." No, they had a clear purpose with that scene, which was simply for everybody on Ash's team to make a contribution. This happens time and time again in the anime with TR.
You’re just spewing the same objective rubbish over and over again. If the writers really wanted to, they could have written a scenario that satisfied all of that while still keeping Charizard consistent but guess what mr. delusional, they didn’t! Instead they show him getting flung back crashing into the ground by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon after which he required Pignite to defend him while getting up. I am not going to ignore the facts because they don’t mesh with your idealized perception of the flying lizard. Let me say it again; I have zero interest in your desperate excuses and baseless speculation. It is an inconsistency and shows that Charizard can be a massively inconsistent pokémon; nothing more and noting less.

Dude, I don't know why you're changing the topic to about Elite 4s and your personal opinion of Charizard's power. This is solely about the sequence in BW121.
I guess you lack reading comprehension then since I was citing an example analogous to the BW 121 sequence with Aaron’s pokémon and those happen to be the strongest pokémon (by definition of being E4 lvl) to whom a similar inconsistency has happened to. By portrayal the writers believe that both Charizard and Aaron’s pokémon are capable of taking significant damage against fodder grunt tier pokémon whereas we’ve never had a similar case for trainer pokémon of a higher lvl ( Champion Ace and top end E4 Ace). Based on this I would conclude that the highest lvl Charizard could possibly be at is lower end E4 Ace lvl. Since I’m the 1 who started this topic and you responded to me, let me fill you in on what it actually is since again you seem to lack reading comprehension:

The BW121 performance by Charizard A) shows he isn’t Ash’s most consistent pokémon and B) caps how strong he possibly could be as of that point.

All those Pokemon that Charizard faced are stronger than grunt fodder Pokemon and unleashed attacks more powerful than the ones by the grunt fodder Pokemon that Charizard tanked and kept battling.
And the vast majority of them are weaker than Aaron’s pokémon by definition yet Aaron’s Pokémon were also capable of displaying a similar inconsistency. Besides all you’re doing by telling me that Charizard has tanked better attacks is that he is.... wait for it.... inconsistent! Thank you so much for helping me prove my point ^_^.

The entire point is that Charizard's battling resume displays consistency,
And yet they had him, say it with me now, get flung back and crash into the wall by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon after which he needed Pignite to defend him while he took his sweet time getting up. This is a fact; it will not change just because you choose to ignore what actually happened and make desperate excuses.

and trying to reduce him
To lower E4 Ace lvl? I’m so sorry; I didn’t realize that such a high lvl was so beneath him.

by inappropriately overvaluing
First off you also lack vocabulary comprehension with your use of the word ‘inappropriate’. 2nd off overvaluing? Really? Based on that feat alone he should be at fodder grunt tier pokémon lvl yet I’m placing him at lower end E4 ace lvl which is far above that, so please enlighten me; how exactly am I ‘overvaluing’ this feat? I’m sorry, but not putting him on the same lvl as epic tier pokémon like Champion Aces and top end E4 Aces =/= downplaying.

and overanalyzing a non-battling situation with a clear writing aim
Whatever mr. hypocrite. I’m literally just stating what factually happened and concluding as a consequence that Charizard isn’t Ash’s most consistent pokémon and is capped in terms of how strong he could possibly be yet still display such an inconsistency. You on the other hand are the 1 over analyzing the scene by talking about notions like ‘writer aim’ and trying to use that as a means to deny what was explicitly shown even though you have zero way of knowing what the writers were actually thinking and are continuously ignoring the simple fact that the writers could have easily written a scenario satisfying the exact same ‘aim’ while still maintaining Charizard’s consistency yet they didn’t!

(that didn't even show him in a bad light unlike what you're trying to spin it as) is just flat-out contradicted by said battling resume.
They ‘showed’ him lacking the intuitive battle sense to use a counter attack, getting owned by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon and finally needing Pignite to defend him as he got up. That’s what they ‘showed’; whether anyone wants to interpret it as ‘good’ or ‘bad’ is none of my concern.

So am I going look at the dozen battles where Charizard demonstrated consistency in his battling performances, tanking significantly more powerful moves while continuing to battle and often winning....or am I going to look at one non-battle sequence?
‘Non-battling’ doesn’t diminish the fact of what actually happened and I love how you continue to ignore that said ‘non-battling’ sequence happened after all of those battle feats which further shows that Charizard is factually capable of massive inconsistency. Also pretty sure Aaron’s pokémon have tanked far stronger attacks as well since he’s a high end trainer in the champions’ league by definition.

Well, if you consider the sequence in BW121 as how it's meant to be shown, which is Charizard doing a heroic split second body block
A.k.a objectively got outperformed by Pignite in battle sense since the latter actually had the sense to use a counter attack.

without being commanded to protect the others from attacks by multiple Pokemon,
Pignite was also not commanded yet had the battle sense to actually use a move even though on paper it’s far less experienced than Charizard.

and subsequently rallying the rest of Ash's BW team to help out (and no, that's not a battle in the normal sense of that word)
Yeah by needing Pignite to defend him while he was down.

, then the writing context explains how it can align with Charizard's battling resume.
None of that ‘context’ can dismiss the fact that it’s an inconsistency and hence Charizard is an inconsistent pokémon especially in terms of durability and battle sense.
Otherwise, it's a major contradiction if it's given equal or greater weight to battles.
Yes which by definition makes Charizard.... wait for it.... inconsistent! Thank you once again for helping my case ^_^.

You're listing polls from a random website, changing the debate topic, and now making weird conspiracy accusations of how I'm multiple people (Who else am I now? @345ash-greninja @PokemonBattleFanatic- ?).
Ah good ‘ol confirmation bias; classic Navin! That ‘random’ site has over a million members and provides a far better representation of what the pokémon anime community actually thinks than this echo chamber. ‘conspiracy’; no offense but you’ve done a terrible job at hiding who you are.

Meanwhile I just only want to talk about BW121 and how you thinks it makes Charizard an inconsistent "beta *****" despite his battling resume indicating the complete opposite.
Go look up the definition of inconsistency. A performance that indicates ‘the complete opposite’ of performances that came before is by definition proof that Charizard is capable of being massively inconsistent, so once again; thank you for affirming my point ^_^.

So one instance in a non-battling situation with a clear writing aim now makes Charizard a "massively inconsistent Pokemon" despite his extensive battling resume suggesting the opposite.
Yes by the definition of the word ‘inconsistent’.

That's not how it works.
That’s exactly how it works. Look up ‘inconsistent’.

Look, if you want to say Charizard isn't E4 level or isn't Ash's strongest Pokemon, then by all means you're free to think that way.
I’m putting it at lower end E4 Ace lvl and 3rd respectively which shows that I factor in his entire resume.

But trying to grab ahold of this sequence in BW121 and using that to justify why Charizard is now some inconsistent "beta *****" and not all that is what I'm proving as wrong and inappropriate.
He is inconsistent (like a lot of other pokémon) and was portrayed like a beta b**** in the BW121 sequence. Other feats need to be considered as well to make an overall assessment, but at the same time you can’t act like this performance doesn’t exist and claim Charizard to be at some arbitrary unquantifiablly high lvl when that’s blatantly not the case.

Last edited:

Dream Lad

Banned
You’re just spewing the same objective rubbish over and over again. If the writers really wanted to, they could have written a scenario that satisfied all of that while still keeping Charizard consistent but guess what mr. delusional, they didn’t! Instead they show him getting flung back crashing into the ground by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon after which he required Pignite to defend him while getting up. I am not going to ignore the facts because they don’t mesh with your idealized perception of the flying lizard. Let me say it again; I have zero interest in your desperate excuses and baseless speculation. It is an inconsistency and shows that Charizard can be a massively inconsistent pokémon; nothing more and noting less.

Exactly, as I've told you before, the anime is inconsistent and context is important. Yes, they could have wrote it in a hundred different ways, but they chose to write a scenario where Charizard does something heroic, which inspires Pignite in turn to help him out, followed by the rest. If they had Charizard demonstrate his typical battling prowess, then he would have unilaterally defeated all three of those Plasma Pokemon. That's not what they were going for however. When they wanted to truly showcase Charizard's capabilities, they did so in his battles, which demonstrates his consistency. This scenario was no different than standard Team Rocket blast-offs, where it's frequently written for the group to work together, even if Pikachu could do it all by himself.

I guess you lack reading comprehension then since I was citing an example analogous to the BW 121 sequence with Aaron’s pokémon and those happen to be the strongest pokémon (by definition of being E4 lvl) to whom a similar inconsistency has happened to. By portrayal the writers believe that both Charizard and Aaron’s pokémon are capable of taking significant damage against fodder grunt tier pokémon whereas we’ve never had a similar case for trainer pokémon of a higher lvl ( Champion Ace and top end E4 Ace). Based on this I would conclude that the highest lvl Charizard could possibly be at is lower end E4 Ace lvl. Since I’m the 1 who started this topic and you responded to me, let me fill you in on what it actually is since again you seem to lack reading comprehension: The BW121 performance by Charizard A) shows he isn’t Ash’s most consistent pokémon and B) caps how strong he possibly could be as of that point. And the vast majority of them are weaker than Aaron’s pokémon by definition yet Aaron’s Pokémon were also capable of displaying a similar inconsistency. Besides all you’re doing by telling me that Charizard has tanked better attacks is that he is.... wait for it.... inconsistent! Thank you so much for helping me prove my point ^_^.

Ah, here come the insults. You're comparing Charizard to Aaron's Beautifly, a Pokemon that Aaron barely owned and trained himself. How is that supposed to be an accurate representation of an Elite 4 Pokemon?

You're taking two faulty examples, one being Aaron's Beautifly, and then this non-battle in BW121 that's not reflective of Charizard's prowess in battles, and combining them to make this inappropriate conclusion that Charizard is at this nebulous "lower end E4 Ace lvl".

Well, how about I point out that in battles Alain's Mega Charizard X, which went toe-to-toe against Elite 4 and Champion Pokemon, was not on the level whatsoever of mid and higher-tier legendaries, and ergo would be on the level of lower-tier legendaries, like hmm say an Articuno, which happened to be exactly what Charizard defeated all the way back in Battle Frontier and has only trained and gotten stronger since then.

Then again, you're placing so much inordinate weight on this BW121 sequence that you're (in)advertently in turn denigrating a legendary Pokemon, a top Frontier Brain's Pokemon, a league semifinalist's (who would have won if not for Zard) ace, etc.

And yet they had him, say it with me now, get flung back and crash into the wall by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon after which he needed Pignite to defend him while he took his sweet time getting up. This is a fact; it will not change just because you choose to ignore what actually happened and make desperate excuses. To lower E4 Ace lvl? I’m so sorry; I didn’t realize that such a high lvl was so beneath him. First off you also lack vocabulary comprehension with your use of the word ‘inappropriate’. 2nd off overvaluing? Really? Based on that feat alone he should be at fodder grunt tier pokémon lvl yet I’m placing him at lower end E4 ace lvl which is far above that, so please enlighten me; how exactly am I ‘overvaluing’ this feat? I’m sorry, but not putting him on the same lvl as epic tier pokémon like Champion Aces and top end E4 Aces =/= downplaying.

You're overvaluing because you're brushing aside the obvious writing purpose of a non-battle in BW121 and giving it equal weight to Charizard's dozen battles where he showed he was more than capable of tanking much more powerful attacks, continuing to battle, and often win said battles. You're making this claim that Charizard is now "massively inconsistent" solely based off this sequence in BW121.

Whatever mr. hypocrite. I’m literally just stating what factually happened and concluding as a consequence that Charizard isn’t Ash’s most consistent pokémon and is capped in terms of how strong he could possibly be yet still display such an inconsistency. You on the other hand are the 1 over analyzing the scene by talking about notions like ‘writer aim’ and trying to use that as a means to deny what was explicitly shown even though you have zero way of knowing what the writers were actually thinking and are continuously ignoring the simple fact that the writers could have easily written a scenario satisfying the exact same ‘aim’ while still maintaining Charizard’s consistency yet they didn’t! They ‘showed’ him lacking the intuitive battle sense to use a counter attack, getting owned by 3 Shadow Balls from fodder grunt tier pokémon and finally needing Pignite to defend him as he got up. That’s what they ‘showed’; whether anyone wants to interpret it as ‘good’ or ‘bad’ is none of my concern.
‘Non-battling’ doesn’t diminish the fact of what actually happened and I love how you continue to ignore that said ‘non-battling’ sequence happened after all of those battle feats which further shows that Charizard is factually capable of massive inconsistency. Also pretty sure Aaron’s pokémon have tanked far stronger attacks as well since he’s a high end trainer in the champions’ league by definition. A.k.a objectively got outperformed by Pignite in battle sense since the latter actually had the sense to use a counter attack. Pignite was also not commanded yet had the battle sense to actually use a move even though on paper it’s far less experienced than Charizard. Yeah by needing Pignite to defend him while he was down. None of that ‘context’ can dismiss the fact that it’s an inconsistency and hence Charizard is an inconsistent pokémon especially in terms of durability and battle sense. Yes which by definition makes Charizard.... wait for it.... inconsistent! Thank you once again for helping my case ^_^.

Why should this singular non-battling sequence in BW121 be given equal weight to the numerous bonafide battles where Charizard demonstrated significantly greater battle intuition and tanking abilities?

Ah good ‘ol confirmation bias; classic Navin! That ‘random’ site has over a million members and provides a far better representation of what the pokémon anime community actually thinks than this echo chamber. ‘conspiracy’; no offense but you’ve done a terrible job at hiding who you are. Go look up the definition of inconsistency. A performance that indicates ‘the complete opposite’ of performances that came before is by definition proof that Charizard is capable of being massively inconsistent, so once again; thank you for affirming my point ^_^. Yes by the definition of the word ‘inconsistent’. That’s exactly how it works. Look up ‘inconsistent’. I’m putting it at lower end E4 Ace lvl and 3rd respectively which shows that I factor in his entire resume. He is inconsistent (like a lot of other pokémon) and was portrayed like a beta b**** in the BW121 sequence. Other feats need to be considered as well to make an overall assessment, but at the same time you can’t act like this performance doesn’t exist and claim Charizard to be at some arbitrarily unquantifiablly high lvl when that’s blatantly not the case.

Weird conspiracy theories aside, I'm aware you're going to parrot how he's inconsistent because of this one non-battling situation that had a clear writing aim and that made him look heroic (unlike what you're spinning it as), but you have so far been unable to reconcile that with his extensive battling resume that states otherwise. I think everyone will trust his consistency in battles over this one depiction in BW121, which can easily be explained by the context.

Last edited: