• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Bank & Poké Transporter Thread [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

Nintendo has updated the 3DS firmware at least 5 times already. I cited linux modders simply because Nintendo could do the same thing if they wanted to, and because linux modders make sweeping changes to the firmware. You missed the point of that. :)

Point was simply: Nintendo could've implemented a firmware update to facilitate 3DS game --> DS communication, and they didn't.

Not at all. Please refrain from making statements like this in a debate when you've clearly only skimmed my posts. It's irritating. (but also the status quo on the internet :D )

On a side note, "conspiracy theorist" in the 2010s is like insulting someone's mother in 1990s films. Also, there's a difference between "horrible money grubbing corporations" and just laziness. The former is almost always found only in caricature. The latter is a business decision.

Look, the whole point of these discussions are so we can gauge whether or not we like to do business with a company. (oh, that's going to get taken out of context, but I will continue) I'm not going to huff, stamp my feet, and throw out all my Nintendo products because of this. It'll just be something I reflect on, years down the road, when I'm staring at a Nintendo product on the store shelves, deciding if I should make some impulse buy or not. It's a pretty reasonable way to look at a company, I'd like to think...
On the flipside, if they did manage to work together and work out a local solution...even if it were just a local storage transfer option, that'd be a positive note to reflect on -- it'd be like "yeah, they really -do- respect us..."
In the "real world", companies are aware of this and regularly need to make decisions that could make customers unhappy. There's a reasonable balance between customer satisfaction, paying the bills, making the shareholders happy, etc. I have to admit that based on the attitudes expressed in this discussion, they probably made the right business decision which will probably be more profitable down the road than would have been offset by any customer dissatisfaction. A good example of a well deliberated business decision that backfired would be when Netflix tried to raise the price of the DVD subscription plan. (but they recovered thanks to their original series)

And the whole point of discussing all this in a popular forum is for a group of intelligent people to put their heads together and figure this stuff out. It's not contructive to skim someone's posts and then insult them.

You haven't really proven anything. Your opinion that Nintendo can update the 3ds to allow 3ds-ds communication between games is based on no actual direct evidence. I've read your posts but you're just A Guy on The Internet so there's really no reason I should take you more seriously than anyone else with an opinion to share.

In the "real world", you'd think a service that'd use to cost hardware and software purchases to go down to $5 would be a good thing. Instead, the whiners and conspiracy theorists have come out in full force.

Here is what this horrible, rip off app would cost based on past generations:

Transferring:
Gen I-II: An additional Game Boy and a Link Cable
3-4: The only actual truly free transfer in the entire series of games only on the DS/Lite.
4-5: A second DS

Storage:
I: None*
II: None*
III: Gamecube+Pokemon Box+Link Cable
IV: Wii + Pokemon Ranch ($10)
5: None
*While Stadium lets you use Pokemon from your game, it is not marketed as storage of any type.

So typically, these types of features would cost you the purchase of additional consoles, additional accessories, and additional games. Instead of that, it is costing $5 a year AND there's a free trial so that the people who still want to "stand on principle" can still get their transfers done.

Last edited:

TrainerMaria

Fire Trainer
Bank serves as both the place where your 5-6 Pokemon go for transfer AND for storage for Gen 6 as well. You can deposit Pokemon in and take them out, regardless of game or save file as long as it is a Gen 6 game.

Thank you very much for the explanation. That's what I thought it was originally but after reading a few things I began to worry that I wouldn't be able to use it as I had orginally planned. This has helped alot so once again thank you and I must also say thank you for the responses to my other questions.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The one thing I'm hoping for is that Poké Transporter isn't like the other migrating programs, & actually lets you transfer your old pokémon before you beat the main game

randomspot555

It's not part of the game at all, so you can transfer whenever you want.

That being said, the app doesn't come out till late December and if you're getting the game for something other than Christmas gift, you'll probably be finished with the main game by the time Bank is released.

BGMaxie

I have a question about this Bank thing being available only until December. Does this means that ANY and ALL ways to transfer Pokemon (WiFi Trade and stuff) won't be available until this thing works? Or can we trade back to previous versions without issues without having to rely on this thing?

BlackAngel

Eevee Enthusiast
Also there actually a Love Plus (DS) to New Love Plus (3DS) app on the Japanese eShop. It has only 1 funtion, take your DS save and start your 3DS game save using the DS data, it cost ¥200. http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27448 The Love Plus DS games actually have a option to send data to another game, which you do when you move data from the first game to the Sequel.

Love Plus Series contains 3 to 5 games and is only available in Japan.
Seems like this was possibly overlooked?

But the article wasn't so much about the ability to transfer data from a DS to a 3DS card as it was about the price of apps on the shop.

Still, Nintendo has made its decision to fully support the Poke Bank transfer method and not any other transfer method. Not much anyone can do besides take that into account next time they consider purchasing a Nintendo product if they found themselves offended by the lack of a choice in transferring Poke to 6th gen.

BCVM22

I have a question about this Bank thing being available only until December.

Not quite. Read the FAQ in the first post.

Does this means that ANY and ALL ways to transfer Pokemon (WiFi Trade and stuff) won't be available until this thing works?

Communication between X and Y games is entirely separate and entirely unaffected by anything going on here.

Or can we trade back to previous versions without issues without having to rely on this thing?

You cannot" trade back" to previous versions at all.

I again point you to the FAQ.

sarysa

Series slave
You haven't really proven anything. Your opinion that Nintendo can update the 3ds to allow 3ds-ds communication between games is based on no actual direct evidence. I've read your posts but you're just A Guy on The Internet so there's really no reason I should take you more seriously than anyone else with an opinion to share.

Saying the same thing over and over without addressing my points...sigh.

A lot of the arguments I made can be verified with a small amount of research. Some just come from my work experience. I tried to cite easily verifiable examples wherever I could, but I can't debate with someone who has the attitude of "you're wrong because I don't know and I have no way to prove that you do know what you say you know."

You should withdraw from an argument if that's your position. There's no point in debating with you anymore, and it's immensely frustrating from my point of view.

BurningWhiteKyurem

Cost ineffective to whom? The consumer? Because you're not making sense. It's very cost effective for the consumers who already own a DS as well as a 3DS (they save 5 bucks and the trouble of applying for a subscription service). And it's not costly for someone who doesn't own two systems (just 5 bucks).

It's about a choice for people who already own a DS and a 3DS. I don't know what you gain from adding up the total cost of both options because it's very situational. The people who already own a DS won't feel ripped off because they already own the system. I think you should re-read the post you're replying too. ;)

Cost ineffective to the consumers who own 2 consoles as opposed to 1 console + pokebank subscription. I already explained it, but it appears you still linger onto the idea that transferring is "free." You're not saving 5 bucks at all because transferring in that case is not "free" (you still had to spend money on another console insofar as it is the means to transfer). Both sides have proprietary costs, and your Option A is not cost-effective. It's not about me re-reading your post, it's about breaking free from the idea that free transfer is not free.

The problem is that you assume that choices will always be made available to the consumer while forgetting that for choices to be made available, the technology would have to be compatible in the first place.

GoldenGyarados

In the "real world", you'd think a service that'd use to cost hardware and software purchases to go down to $5 would be a good thing. Instead, the whiners and conspiracy theorists have come out in full force.

Actually, Nintendo wouldn't even have to update the firmware to enable DS-to-3DS communications. In addition to the "Love Plus" app cited by another poster, another monster collecting game "Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D" also includes a DS-to-3DS transfer app that requires no online, and was included free with the game.

So, yeah. Apparently Square Enix can better figure out how to transfer data between the systems for a lower cost than "Masuda.... you know, a guy who works for a company that has had a 3DS development kit since before their release, a guy who has worked on the DS, 3DS, and Pokemon extensively, has come out and said that DS and 3DS games cannot communicate."

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Bank serves as both the place where your 5-6 Pokemon go for transfer AND for storage for Gen 6 as well. You can deposit Pokemon in and take them out, regardless of game or save file as long as it is a Gen 6 game.

Thank you very much for the explanation. That's what I thought it was originally but after reading a few things I began to worry that I wouldn't be able to use it as I had orginally planned. This has helped alot so once again thank you and I must also say thank you for the responses to my other questions.
I would just like to add that you aren't limited to sending 6 pokemon at a time. You can transfer entire boxes of pokemon at a time, and if it works like Pokemon Box: Ruby & Sapphire, you can move your entire collection in one transfer.

I would also like to note that Bank and Transporter are two separate apps. It sounds like you can use Bank without even downloading Transporter. However, to download Transporter, you must download Bank. Some people keep saying that they come together, but Nintendo has said that Transporter is a companion app and is downloaded after Bank. They might even appear separately on your 3DS home screen.

BurningWhiteKyurem

Actually, Nintendo wouldn't even have to update the firmware to enable DS-to-3DS communications. In addition to the "Love Plus" app cited by another poster, another monster collecting game "Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D" also includes a DS-to-3DS transfer app that requires no online, and was included free with the game.

So, yeah. Apparently Square Enix can better figure out how to transfer data between the systems for a lower cost than "Masuda.... you know, a guy who works for a company that has had a 3DS development kit since before their release, a guy who has worked on the DS, 3DS, and Pokemon extensively, has come out and said that DS and 3DS games cannot communicate."

This statement is very misleading. An in-depth look at the transfer system in Dragon Quest Monsters 3DS shows that there's a restriction on transfer, namely that monsters other than A-rank (aka only A-rank and higher can be moved) could not be moved onto the 3DS game. While it has no cost, it doesn't justify the restriction whereas Pokemon transferring never has any restrictions (other than not being able to move items). Why would Enix have to limit the player's options to transfer then?

Additionally, you're conveniently ignoring the fact that the two games (DQ J2 and 3DS game) STILL had to use an app as communication wasn't directly DS to 3DS, doesn't that imply that Enix couldn't get them to directly communicate? I don't know why you would criticize Masuda for saying "that DS and 3DS games cannot communicate" when Konami and Enix's efforts only serve to solidify his statement.

Last edited:

BlackAngel

Eevee Enthusiast
Cost ineffective to the consumers who own 2 consoles as opposed to 1 console + pokebank subscription. I already explained it, but it appears you still linger onto the idea that transferring is "free." You're not saving 5 bucks at all because transferring in that case is not "free" (you still had to spend money on another console insofar as it is the means to transfer). Both sides have proprietary costs, and your Option A is not cost-effective. It's not about me re-reading your post, it's about breaking free from the idea that free transfer is not free.

The problem is that you assume that choices will always be made available to the consumer while forgetting that for choices to be made available, the technology would have to be compatible in the first place.
Read the bold text in the post you're replying to sir.

And never once did I use the word "free". You've hit a wall where you keep referencing your original post which made no sense. Once again reread the bold text in my previous post, particularly the word "already", as in the customer has already bought, and had the system for some time (they would save 5 bucks and the trouble of signing up for a subscription).

Also our debate was not about the technology, it is about what was cost "ineffective" to the consumer as you put it. This is my last post to you on the subject.

Last edited:

BGMaxie

Not quite. Read the FAQ in the first post.

Communication between X and Y games is entirely separate and entirely unaffected by anything going on here.

You cannot" trade back" to previous versions at all.

I again point you to the FAQ.
Read the FAQ and I did not understand much, I read Pokemon XY's main faq page and I understood better. Simply put this all sucks, bleh.

But there is something I did not understand, it says it is due to release in late December, but that can be used as soon as you get the game. So well CAN I USE this and Poketransfer before December or not?

Last edited:

BurningWhiteKyurem

Read the bold text in the post you're replying to sir.

And never once did I use the word "free". You've hit a wall where you keep referencing your original post which made no sense. Once again reread the bold text in my previous post, particularly the word "already". And our debate was not about the technology, it was about what was cost "ineffective" to the consumer as you put it. This is my last post to you on the subject.

Did I say you did? That was an assumption considering how you brought up saving 5 bucks for the people who did not want PokeBank as a means of transferring. You are essentially trying to make transferring free for Option B's population, while at the same time allowing the choice for people to spend 5 bucks on transferring/storage app. Do you not see how this is nonsensical?

Also, you conveniently disregarded the last statement, in which I wasn't trying to turn this into a technology debate, but show you that choice isn't always going to be available.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why we're getting Pokemon Bank later in the year and not immediately? I thought that this generation was supposed to be released simultaneously (ignoring the leaked copys.)

BurningWhiteKyurem

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why we're getting Pokemon Bank later in the year and not immediately? I thought that this generation was supposed to be released simultaneously (ignoring the leaked copys.)

It's likely that the amount of time needed is to allow servers to be set up for the December release (we can only speculate at this point about the 2 month delay). And to be fair, while the Gen 6 games will be released worldwide, the same goes for Pokebank, where they will be released to everyone at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.