• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Bank & Poké Transporter Thread [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I was initially VERY opposed to this, but when the price came out, I have softened my stance. I think there are pros and cons.

+Seems like an incredibly easy and fast way to transfer program.
+Cloud service, whatever the hell that is. I have never used a cloud service in my life. *shrug* So it might be nice? I dunno.
+The price is VERY right. Fair and inexpensive
+Could be a building block for years to come.
+A ton of storage for people who need it.

-I HONESTLY feel like this is the first step in a bad direction: mini-transactions. How long until they start charging for event pokemon or in-game content?
-Poke-transfer should still have a free method, even if it is slow and clumsy like previous generations. If the service is so good, people will still get it, but I really disagree with forcing players into it for one service they all want that has been free for years.

There are more pros than cons, but I feel the cons are more relevant than the pros. So I don't know. It is what it is, though.

You make some very good points here.
I honestly do not see them having us pay for things like event pokemon anytime soon, but for DLC? Maybe....
The price aside, I also feel that this is a step forward for transferring. I mean, we get a storage area that is outside of the games, we can use it with only ONE 3DS (that is like saving us $130+), and I know that by the time I post this (considering how fast this thread is moving), it will be like replying to a post long ago....but yeah, this guy^ makes several good points.

J.J. Knight

Hm. Roughly $5 a year gets me:

1. 3000 Pokemon Storage for indefinite use from Gen V games onward.

2. Method to transfer Gen V Pokemon to Gen VI, breaking down the barrier previously preventing the possibility of Cross-Gen possibility.

3. Prevents hacked Pokemon.

Overall reaction? I'm good. The potential of storing that number of Pokemon is outstanding. I doubt that thing will get completely full, but excellent for having multiple copies. Also having it happen forever is also amazing. While I'm not too happy that I can't transfer my modified Pokemon that I use for my own personal use (And Legendaries like Darkai, Arceus, etc that I lost), I can live with it. With the SHEER number of Pokemon available, I should be able to recover from my loss. By the looks of it, X and Y may have just about every Pokemon excluding Legendaries and some starters off the bat. Surely, we'll get those Legendary Pokemon in the GL or other events. Guess I have to get used to breeding for Egg moves again!

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
I will say that as people have said, things like xbox live/Netflix/etc. people are fine with. Therefore if people will buy the games themselves, they could spend the $5 a year for the storage. It really is not that much.

Some people are gonna have to explain to their parents where that $5 dollar charge is coming from. Some of them won't be happy to hear it's for a Video Game. :/

Akashin

-I HONESTLY feel like this is the first step in a bad direction: mini-transactions. How long until they start charging for event pokemon or in-game content?
-Poke-transfer should still have a free method, even if it is slow and clumsy like previous generations. If the cloud service is so good, people will still pay for it and support the new system, but I really disagree with forcing players into it for one service they all want that has been free for years.

There are more pros than cons, but I feel the cons are more relevant than the pros. So I don't know. It is what it is, though.

From the sounds of things, this may have been a necessity to make transfers possible due to hardware/software issues. They've given no word on that though, so who knows.

As for it being a step in the wrong direction, that remains to be seen. I can understand why it could be seen that way, but I don't really think we have anything to worry about. Charging a negligible fee for something that makes transferring exceptionally more convenient for the fanbase as a whole isn't too bad, and doesn't need to be treated as something they're doing for a quick buck.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Hm. Roughly $5 a year gets me:

1. 3000 Pokemon Storage for indefinite use from Gen V games onward.

2. Method to transfer Gen V Pokemon to Gen VI, breaking down the barrier previously preventing the possibility of Cross-Gen possibility.

3. Prevents hacked Pokemon.

Overall reaction? I'm good. The potential of storing that number of Pokemon is outstanding. I doubt that thing will get completely full, but excellent for having multiple copies. Also having it happen forever is also amazing. While I'm not too happy that I can't transfer my modified Pokemon that I use for my own personal use (And Legendaries like Darkai, Arceus, etc that I lost), I can live with it. With the SHEER number of Pokemon available, I should be able to recover from my loss. By the looks of it, X and Y may have just about every Pokemon excluding Legendaries and some starters off the bat. Surely, we'll get those Legendary Pokemon in the GL or other events. Guess I have to get used to breeding for Egg moves again!

You also make some good points here.
It is good that the barrier between gens V and VI is basically gone now, even with a price of $5.
Wait a minute....I CAN complete my goal in my signature (if the US gets the Pokémon Bank/Poketransporter at the same time as the rest of the world).

Torpoleon

Some people are gonna have to explain to their parents where that $5 dollar charge is coming from. Some of them won't be happy to hear it's for a Video Game. :/
It would be better than explaining to their parents that they need a second system to transfer, like it was in the past.

The way they are doing things with Pokémon Bank is so much better. It's just $5 a year. It would take TWENTY FOUR YEARS for this to equal the current price of a 2DS and don't even get me started on the XL.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Guys, it is $5 a year, or $5 x 12 = $60 per year? I thought I have read it somewhere that it actually costs $60 per year, I hope I'm wrong.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
The yearly fee is half the price of the steak dinner I bought on a whim yesterday. So I think it's a justifiably fair price, especially if it's a long term plan - I hate existing methods of Pokemon transferring.

But these points are valid ones:

-Poke-transfer should still have a free method, even if it is slow and clumsy like previous generations. If the cloud service is so good, people will still pay for it and support the new system, but I really disagree with forcing players into it for one service they all want that has been free for years.

People do overract to things like paid DLC, but with good reason - I too am hoping there is no trend that will develop from this.

And I agree that there should still be another method of transfer, as clunky as it may be, and there still might be I suppose. A somewhat irrelevant comparison but it has similarities to my gripes with 3D films when they were in their peak, the option to see 2D films should still be there if you want them as opposed to blowing a few extra quid on glasses just to see the same thing. Same sorta principle with this. A lot of people will still use Pokemon Bank even if there were other methods of transfer.

Smeargle1987

Reckless Trainer
Yes but will it prevent hacked Pokemon? I think this issue lies more with hacks from Pokesav and Poke Creator.

The price is fine for a year,very reasonable.My only concern is that they are doing this because there isnt much in game storage-not enough PC boxes to "Catch Them All"

Torpoleon

Guys, it is $5 a year, or $5 x 12 = $60 per year? I thought I have read it somewhere that it actually costs $60 per year, I hope I'm wrong.
Huh? That makes no sense since it's already been confirmed to be $5. You just need to pat $5 once every year, not every month.

Gabry00023

It is a very good system. Now if you want to restart the game and relive all the adventures you don't need to worry on where to store your sacred pokés. I totally welcome this system regardless of the price, because if you want good things you have to pay for them. I think that by paying we're giving them an incentive to update and upgrade the system and make it even better in future occasions. If it was for free I would see it fall in forgetfulness and end. Imagine that in genVII (which will probably still be on the 3DS) we will still have this and forget the idea to have 2 systems forever.

Aioi

Considering this service comes out on December 25th (according to JP website), I really do hope there are other methods for transferring from Gen V...
I have a Japanese DS lite with White 2, and an american 3DS XL with pre-ordered Pokemon X & Y. I won't be able to use the transporter on my 3DS with my Japanese White 2 cartridge due to region-lock :(

Torpoleon

Considering this service comes out on December 25th (according to JP website), I really do hope there are other methods for transferring from Gen V...
I have a Japanese DS lite with White 2, and an american 3DS XL with pre-ordered Pokemon X & Y. I won't be able to use the transporter on my 3DS with my Japanese White 2 cartridge due to region-lock :(
I guess the only other option would be to get an American Generation V game and an American DS Lite.

Bleu

Shiny Catcher!
I was first apprehensive, but the price is really nothing for $5 a year. Heck, I pay more on my DeviantART account subscription and that doesn't really do me a whole bunch of favours.

DLC is probably on the horizon for this game, but so long as they don't mess it up, I don't mind. I'd really like to have some kind of extra storage space for my games without having the need to pay extra.

Though this raises another question. If a kid was stupid enough to give away his password/get it hacked, he would lose all his pokemon. I don't know how kids aged 3-10 can keep an account like that safe.

Aioi

I guess the only other option would be to get an American Generation V game and an American DS Lite.
If they allow transfers from Gen V through local trade, then there won't be a problem transferring from a Japanese game to an American. I hope this is the case :O

master3019

Me gusta Flygon
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they will have a free transfer method as well.

[ACE] Zero

Just Sayin..
I was first apprehensive, but the price is really nothing for $5 a year. Heck, I pay more on my DeviantART account subscription and that doesn't really do me a whole bunch of favours.

DLC is probably on the horizon for this game, but so long as they don't mess it up, I don't mind. I'd really like to have some kind of extra storage space for my games without having the need to pay extra.

Though this raises another question. If a kid was stupid enough to give away his password/get it hacked, he would lose all his pokemon. I don't know how kids aged 3-10 can keep an account like that safe.

Easy, with responsible parents, granted not all are so therfore they deserve the loss, but im pretty sure you might need an 18+ aged person to set up the payment method and whatnot.

My concern is someone figurine ho to hack the actual storage and steal pokemon from there.

Akashin

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they will have a free transfer method as well.

The free trial of this may well be the best you'll get. It's not impossible, but like somebody else said, I have the feeling that if there were any other transferring method they'd have said so during the Direct.

Aioi

Nowadays kids are really good with technology, I'm sure they will be fine.
If they are dumb enough to give away their passwords, they probably won't have worthy stuff in their Pokemon Bank anyway ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.