• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Bank & Poké Transporter Thread [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nockturne

Not crazy about an annual fee but at least its cheap

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I was initially VERY opposed to this, but when the price came out, I have softened my stance. I think there are pros and cons.

+Seems like an incredibly easy and fast way to transfer program.
+Cloud service, whatever the hell that is. I have never used a cloud service in my life. *shrug* So it might be nice? I dunno.
+The price is VERY right. Fair and inexpensive
+Could be a building block for years to come.
+A ton of storage for people who need it.

-I HONESTLY feel like this is the first step in a bad direction: mini-transactions. How long until they start charging for event pokemon or in-game content?
-Poke-transfer should still have a free method, even if it is slow and clumsy like previous generations. If the cloud service is so good, people will still pay for it and support the new system, but I really disagree with forcing players into it for one service they all want that has been free for years.

There are more pros than cons, but I feel the cons are more relevant than the pros. So I don't know. It is what it is, though.
Good points yes. Charging for in-game content a possibility but not all games charge for DLC, charging for event Pokemon that'll never happen.
The Poke transfer is still free you just have to pay for Pokemon Bank. Regardless of the $5 annual fee all the benefits you get: Store up to 3,000 Pokemon, Have the ability to transfer pokemon from Gen III, IV, and V, Have a hack check, and above all a safe and secured store service.
All that just for $5 a year that's well worth it. I'd pay that any day instead of having to go out and buy another 3DS just to transfer my Pokemon, which would cost me another $130-160. The old transfer service was indeed "free" however you needed two DS's which was about $260 added together when they first came out, an that doesn't include the money for the games. That's outrageous having to spend all that money just to use a free service compared to this this offer.
And for those that still don't like it then simply use the free trail and transfer everything then and be done with it. At least be thankful you have that option.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
From the Direct-thread, it closed before I could post... Edit: Didn't realize the cost was just 5€. So this may seem like overreacting, but please just regard it as a principle standpoint.

You have to pay the service... That's how it works because of its costs.

The same costs they had to put into updating and maintaining the Global Link/Dream World every now and then. Yet we got that for free, but they feel the need to bill us yearly for this. They're doing as if its a big deal, but the idea seems pretty simple in effect:
- Extract data from a game using an application, be it Pokemon Bank or Transporter depending on whether you use GenVI or V games.
- Upload data to server using the same application.
- Make a personal interface on which data can be accessed through internet access.
- Use the same application to deposit chosen data when called upon.

The fact is that Transporter is the exact same idea as the Dream Link, just with multiple pokemon at the same time - and without the option of returning them. While uploading them to the same server as Pokemon Bank.

This shouldn't really have been an issue to begin with, seeing as how it is so similar to Dream Link.

Pretty underwhelming Direct.....
We were pretty certain the kanto starters would get mega evos, and the rest of the announcement was for a paid service....lol

To be honest, people had been asking about some sort of PokéTransfer service, and when asked at the E3, they said they were working on the issue. It's semi-smart because they bypass the 'issues' they had with DS/3DS connectivity. Semi-smart, because it is basically the same idea as Dream Link, but with more pokemon at a single time. It's still the same data extraction/deposit method.

They just had to get to the mind switch-moment, to realize that DS to 3DS-connectivity just isn't going to work as well as how both can connect to the internet.

Last edited:

Torpoleon

Can't believe they've been working on this for 5 years! Hopefully all they're hard work pays off. They've been working on it through the entirety of Generation V and most of Generation IV.

Erchamion

wasn't the poketransfer free... but you have to pay for the bank so it is free to transfer your pokemon with the gen 5 game with the transfer but you need the pokemon bank anyways to acess the pokemon you just transfered with your gen 6 so it is still not free to transfer pokemon or what? I'm confused...
but I will definetly pay for it if it's not free... must complete pokedex...

master3019

Me gusta Flygon
There probably will be an "illegal" app or website that will allow transferring for free.

Torpoleon

wasn't the poketransfer free... but you have to pay for the bank so it is free to transfer your pokemon with the gen 5 game with the transfer but you need the pokemon bank anyways to acess the pokemon you just transfered with your gen 6 so it is still not free to transfer pokemon or what? I'm confused...
It's $5 a year. So, no it's not free, but it is incredibly inexpensive.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Guys, just accept the fact that it's not free.
We can complain all year long, but in the end, millions of Pokemon fans will still use this application.
Besides, there's a trial session. Use that to your advantage. It's not like GF is forcing you to subscribe.

This thread is going nowhere. It's becoming spam rather than discussion.

Erchamion

Hey I'm not complaining just wondering how it all works since I've seen it mentioned that you only pay for the storage not the transfer
definately worth it either way so XD

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
This actually does sound like a nice idea, but I'm as greedy and cheap as they come, so I'll probably just use the free trial and never touch it again. Not like I would have much use for it besides transferring my teams anyway.

Akashin

The transferring is free, but it transfers not from game to game but from Gen V to Bank, which in turn can be put into Gen VI, thus making the Bank still required. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

Torpoleon

Hey I'm not complaining just wondering how it all works since I've seen it mentioned that you only pay for the storage not the transfer
definately worth it either way so XD
Actually, I think PokéTransporter comes with Pokémon Bank, so you'd pretty much need the $5 for both features.

I wonder what the initial price of it will be, like when you buy it off the eShop for the first time.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Can't believe they've been working on this for 5 years! Hopefully all they're hard work pays off. They've been working on it through the entirety of Generation V and most of Generation IV.

I can't believe it as well. From a practical standpoint that is.. Did they foresee the DS/3DS-connectivity issues FIVE years ago??? When the 3DS only started development FOUR years ago? Sometimes these guys make me laugh with their impossible hyping..

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I am particularly interested in these:
1-Will this service get some sort of update, seeing how both My Pokémon Ranch and Dream World both were updated with the release of the new games, Platinum and Black 2/White 2 respectively, even though MPR was developed by a different company? The answer for future generations is obviously "duh" and obviously there will be updates for generational forme changes, but I'm strictly talking about storage and stats(such as the stats for side-quests).
2-Will this effectively ensure permanent storage for all future titles? Iwata and Ishihara pretty much outright stated as such, but will this affect the previous consoles or will they exclude consoles of the previous generations(as they have disabled Gen IV titles' and DS's connectivity)?

Either way, I find this to be quite revolutionary, but I imagine it would be more revolutionary if we could use this as a pseudo-GTS, from trading to displaying Pokémon(and if possible, exploiting a cloning glitch during the transfer between Pokémon Bank and the games), which would help to decrease or eliminate the amount of impossible requests clogging GTS.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
It's free to transfer your Pokemon yes, but the Poke transfer only works from Pokemon Bank. It's only $5 a year which saves you so much money instead of having to buy another 3DS.
Just some quick math a 2DS costs $130
130 / 5= 26
That means it'll take 26 years of annual fee in order for it to cost as much as a 2DS, and 32 for a 3DS, and 40 for an XL.

Akashin

I can't believe it as well. From a practical standpoint that is.. Did they foresee the DS/3DS-connectivity issues FIVE years ago??? When the 3DS only started development FOUR years ago? Sometimes these guys make me laugh with their impossible hyping..

I thought they were talking about having wanted a cloud-based service for over five years, not that they foresaw this issue. It would still be a nice idea even if transferring were otherwise possible.

Erchamion

It's free to transfer your Pokemon yes, but the Poke transfer only works from Pokemon Bank. It's only $5 a year which saves you so much money instead of having to buy another 3DS.
Just some quick math a 2DS costs $130
130 / 5= 26
That means it'll take 26 years of annual fee in order for it to cost as much as a 2DS, and 32 for a 3DS, and 40 for an XL.

yeah but I'd just use my brothers 3ds when I needed to transfer so it would cost me nothing if that were the case XD still as said 5$ a year is still incredibly cheap

Lonewolf18

is it still possible to transfer pokemon without using the bank? like in previous gens using a game to transport them?

SapphSabre777

My issue is not the price itself, but rather the "hacked" aspect of it.

Being a college student and all, I barely have enough time to optimize all of my Pokemon quickly and efficiently. I use these devices only after I beat the game (using legal hacks such as modifiers, IVs, etc., no illegal crap), never to beat, so that I can play to my heart's content, bonding with my Pokemon.

If what is being said is true, then I will really miss the Pokemon that have helped me win in friendlies with some of my friends on other sites (Smogon, etc.). Is there any other way?

Last edited:

Akashin

is it still possible to transfer pokemon without using the bank? like in previous gens using a game to transport them?

If you mean still possible to transfer up to Gen V, then sure, knock yourself out. From Gen V to Gen VI without Bank, though? Doesn't look like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.