• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Bank & Poké Transporter Thread [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Except you're not paying for something that was originally free. Yes, transferring has been free, but this is also extra storage, all of which (Pokemon Box & My Pokemon Ranch) have always cost extra. And they even cover that with the free month trial version. Don't care about storage? Transfer all your 'mons in the first month and you're golden. A pretty damn good deal, I'd say.

Admittedly, it would be nicer if you could simply transfer Pokemon without needing to use the storage. The $5 storage thing is fine, but since you need to use it to transfer, transferring itself doesn't exactly feel "free." There is the one month trial, yeah, but there will be some people who will want to transfer things after that period ends and don't want to pay for the storage service. It's a minor hypothetical issue, but one that's somewhat justified. I'm just a little annoyed that we have to wait until December to use it. I'm probably just impatient with that, but I don't want to wait so long to transfer my Pokemon.

To those of you who are afraid that GF will charge for DLC: They won't! Masuda has said that they won't charge for DLC. The Pokémon Bank isn't DLC, it is an app, just like the Dream Radar was. If Masuda says DLC will be free, it will be!

Yes, why do people always forget Masuda said that? If he says DLC will be free, then there's nothing to worry about.

Ditto24

What if they saved up $42? Huh? HUH?!

Then they obviously can't use it for the moment, but oh wait....they can just use the free trial. Isn't that nice. GF making things optional, if only everything about Pokemon Bank was optional...oh wait.

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
I have always bought two games to solve this problem. I have always played one all the way through and then store all my pokemon on that one game. then the second one I would play for the rest of the time and transfer to the first Game. So in a way I used that first game every generation as a Pokemon Bank. Now I'll just use Pokemon Bank so I can play both games if I want to.

yeah this is me I always buy every game and use one as a bank and the other the play through

MasterofArcanine

Pokecollection Maste
yeah this is me I always buy every game and use one as a bank and the other the play through

I thought I was the only one that did that. Now we can just use Pokemon Bank as storage which is awesome not to mention up to 3,000 pokemon instead of the usual limit they have. . Only bad thing is I already bought a 2ds so I have two devices to trade back and forth using the infrared connection. Oh well. I guess it will helpful when my 3ds has to be recharged and I still want to play.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I squeed like a little girl when I saw this.

FINALLY

I made a post a long time ago asking if it were possible to create a single system transfer method...And now it's here..

A thousand thank yous to the makers of this little thing :'D

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner

I do something similar. I buy both versions and use one as a main game, like do post-game things/do Frontier-like things/occasional wifi battles/etc. The other I use to replay continuously, not only for fun, but to learn about using new pokemon/strategies.
But with the Pokémon Bank, I will....honestly, do the same thing, but when I transfer over my (hundreds of) pokemon, I will have somewhere to keep them :p.

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
I thought I was the only one that did that. Now we can just use Pokemon Bank as storage which is awesome not to mention up to 3,000 pokemon instead of the usual limit they have. . Only bad thing is I already bought a 2ds so I have two devices to trade back and forth using the infrared connection. Oh well. I guess it will helpful when my 3ds has to be recharged and I still want to play.

you may still need them for trade evos so its good you got 2 lol

EverChanger

エヴァーチェンジャー
I'm willing to bet that part of why transferring Pokémon from Generation V to X & Y is cloud-based is that Game Freak is trying to nip this hacked Pokémon issue in the bud. This way, Game Freak can easily check Pokémon against an up-to-date blacklist that they can update at the click of a button. Instead of making a completely separate cloud system for this, they integrated the transfer system into the Pokémon Bank so that hundreds of Pokémon could be transferred all at once without capping out the in-game box limit (probably about thirty) while still cross-referencing the Pokémon with the official banlist. Plus, it is quick, simple, (dare I say) intuitive, and it has no gimmicky minigame to go along with it.

In addition to this, the Pokémon Bank can mass transfer Pokémon between copies of X and Y in a matter of minutes without having to catch a million Patrat and trade each one, one-by-one. It can serve as temporary storage for all the Pokémon on a save file you want to restart, without requiring a second game. Plus, it allows you to do all of this with only one Nintendo 3DS system, and it puts a standard system in place for mass transfers to Generation VII when it is released. AND it eliminates the need to own a Nintendo home console in order to access a mass storage service. AND it allows people to offload their eggs and captures from their search for perfect Natures and IVs off of their game, eliminating the need to periodically mass release Pokémon to conserve space (to an extent). AND it allows you to search and sort under parameters such as Nature, Marking, Gender, Type, and Pokédex number.

EDIT: Oh yeah, AND it allows you to get all three (six?) Starter Pokémon onto one game without the need for multiple copies of the game or multiple systems, much more quickly and easily than ever before.

A thirty day free period and five dollars a year after that nets you ALL of this connectivity and functionality, AND it allows Game Freak to make online play much more fair and MUCH more enjoyable.

EDIT2: Plus, if you happen to have a Deluxe Set Wii U, every fifty dollars spent on eShop content generates a five dollar eShop code that can also be used on the Nintendo 3DS eShop. BAM, covered.

What I'm trying to say is: I approve, Game Freak. Please, carry on.

Last edited:

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
All cloud storage programs cost money. It cost a lot of money to maintain these huge servers. Five dollars is laughable when you think about a YEARLY fee. That's less money then a monthly 8$ Netflix subscription.

I think its a genius idea, and I will gladly fork over five dollars a year to them. They knew they had to make cross-gen transferring happen this generation and they got it to work. I don't get what's the big deal with paying an annual fee. They are even giving a long free-trial period for it.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
All cloud storage programs cost money. It cost a lot of money to maintain these huge servers. Five dollars is laughable when you think about a YEARLY fee. That's less money then a monthly 8$ Netflix subscription.

I think its a genius idea, and I will gladly fork over five dollars a year to them. They knew they had to make cross-gen transferring happen this generation and they got it to work. I don't get what's the big deal with paying an annual fee. They are even giving a long free-trial period for it.

This guy makes plenty of sense.
I do not know what the cloud storage for Windows computers cost, but it is most likely way above $5 a year.
Again, things like Netflix (something which I have, and whose cost I pretty much never even think about) are normal in terms of cost. This Pokémon Bank is quite cheap in comparison.

0danmaster0

the thing I love about this is that you can store all of your competitive pokemon or shinies in the bank but you are still able to replay the game over and over without having to buy both versions.

Ditto24

the thing I love about this is that you can store all of your competitive pokemon or shinies in the bank but you are still able to replay the game over and over without having to buy both versions.

Exactly, it's basically a never ending save file. It's brilliant! I can finally restart B and B2 again.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I was a little skeptical of Pokémon Bank at first. But the pricing isn't too bad.... and the fact that they're trying to prevent hacks from getting through, is a good thing. Will be keeping anything not quite legit on my older games :p. Never used them for real battles anyways. And I don't need to risk the games. On a side note, I wonder what would happen if someone got an hack in them though (as in a GTS trade)? Hopefully their game won't be screwed up for good.

On a side note, would it be safe to keep any that you got before? Or would you be bricked if you did so?

Last edited:

Mr. L 500

YOOM-TAH!
I didn't like how they where going to charge you at first, but I've come to really like the idea. Now I can keep all my Pokémon in one safe place and transfer them into future games.

Mr. L 500

YOOM-TAH!
Anyone who complains about the price at this point is a fool. $5/£4 is a great price.

It's only $5? Wow, that's a great price.

TheEliteEmpoleon

I think the idea is great. For anyone who needs that extra storage to store their precious old pokémon, shinies, or EV/competitive pokémon, the Pokémon Bank is perfect. I know I'll be getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.