• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Bank & Poké Transporter Thread [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrobat

Competitive hopeful
Game Freak, IIRC, has said that they want Bank to still be usable years down the road. IMO, this is wishful thinking, because they constantly have to worry about adding new features each game generation, and software compatibility issues each handheld gen such as the one we're facing now.

Not at all. Just means they make an updated app that accesses the same cloud storage.

Also to everyone, please keep in mind that in addition to storage, the Bank system is going to work as an anti-cheating filter to help prevent the trickle of hacked Pokemon coming down the line for a more fair and enjoyable experience.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Of course. Its a trial. It ends on January the 31st iirc so you've got 5 months to go nuts.

In which I'm going to most certainly take advantage of. Hell I'm considering just doing the annual fee, I'm pretty excited about this feature significantly more than yesterday. I can just store my Pokémon from my first playthrough of Y and then restart it while still having those Pokémon in my Pokébank boxes (I believe you can do that).

Necrobat

Competitive hopeful
In which I'm going to most certainly take advantage of. Hell I'm considering just doing the annual fee, I'm pretty excited about this feature significantly more than yesterday. I can just store my Pokémon from my first playthrough of Y and then restart it while still having those Pokémon in my Pokébank boxes (I believe you can do that).

Yeah, they've stated that plus accessing it from multiple versions. Great for people like me who love having one game they just constantly reset without the need to mass catch Patrats and sloooowly trade everything over. (may or may not have been doing this the last day to get everything off my Japanese games...)

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
They didn't charge me for Pokedex 3D (the original, not pro). So it's not like every single app they put out needs to have a price tag. I don't believe they should be compensated for making such an app because it's a complementary (i.e. free) feature in the games, and if they need to cover the expenses for it they can do so elsewhere. Pokemon Bank is a good place to do this since the cost is already a huge bargain, they could bill you double the cost they have already and it'd still be reasonable.

So you want transferring to be free, but it's okay for them to charge for cloud storage via Pokemon Bank? Unfortunately, Pokemon from a DS game can't be directly transfered to a 3DS title, as Matsuda himself stated, so this acts like a middle man in conjunction with Pokemon Bank. There is no way around it yet. You will just have to learn how to deal with the fact that paying $5 a year to store your transfered Pokemon is the only option right now. I know it's something hard to cope with, but maybe after a few therapy sessions, you'll begin to grasp everything that has been brought up in this thread ad nauseam about compatibility and what-not.

It's not about the money, it's the features they're charging for which is where I draw the line. Cross gen transfers is something I believe should not be charged for unless absolutely necessary, and this is not absolutely necessary.

They are only charging you for Pokemon Bank, which you need to transfer, kind of like how a store charges for another DS in order for you to transfer from Gen 4 to 5, unless you are spoiled or rich and can buy another DS on a whim.

Game Freak, IIRC, has said that they want Bank to still be usable years down the road. IMO, this is wishful thinking, because they constantly have to worry about adding new features each game generation, and software compatibility issues each handheld gen such as the one we're facing now.

Except this is mostly internet-net based. All they really have to do is make it compatible when a new system comes out while still being compatible to the previous one.

Honestly, the way Game Freak treats these features in general, it's not much of a stretch of the imagination. Game Freak has a history of reserving gameplay features for add ons to make them appear as more of an improvement than they actually are, and this could open the door for even more of that in the future. It's true that we don't know exactly how XY will play out, but this is a bad sign.

It's a bad sign that they've created an innovative way to cloud store all of your Pokemon, from the 5th Generation onwards? Doctor, my head.

The difference is pretty much semantics. You still have to pay in order for the transfer process to work.

If you want to talk semantics, then the same could be said that without Pokemon Bank, you'd need 2 3DS to trade. Without Pokemon Bank, which is something you agree should be paid for, transferring wont be possible, as stated by Serebii, Matsuda, and and cast of colorful forum posters who are actually using common sense. Let me guess. your next question will be the validity of Matsuda and Serebii, and you'll be begging for credentials probably too.

I know it's hard to accept that an element of the game that was previously free now has to be paid for, but look on the bright side. At least IT'S POSSIBLE. I must commend you though for not using the word "extortion" in your past couple of posts. I was afraid you were going to recklessly toss it in there like you did previously, but bravo to you. Have a cupcake. :)

This is what I think a lot of people aren't getting, transferring Pokemon is not "additional work", it's something that they're already expected to do. The additional work comes from the storage space, which is the only area where they should be compensated.

Well technically, that IS the only thing they are being compensated for. You don't have to pay additional charges to transfer anything. It's a free app that works as long as you pay for your justified, as you admit, $5 dollar service for for Pokemon Bank.

Last edited:

EonDragonFTW

So, Pokemon bank/transporter is a thing now...
Can't say I didn't see it coming, but I'm a little confused. Do you have to pay for the app, or do you pay per year?

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Just shut up about the 5 euros, dollars, wtv its a fair cost for server maintenance and its not even monthly, if people have money to buy a 3DS and the games they have 5 euros, dolares 500 yen, etc to pay for a freaking app.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
But they did for the pro, and they did for the Radar.

Right, but the fact that they don't charge for every single app means that they draw a line somewhere as far what they believe is and is not worth giving away for free.

Why should people who want to use Bank have to cover cost of freeloaders like yourself?

Because expecting my game to come with all of the features that I pay for isn't freeloading. Meanwhile, the people who are buying Bank are getting additional features for a bargain of a price, so it would be reasonable to increase the price there to maintain the integrity of having a game with all of the same features as last gen.

But it is necessary. They couldn't do intra-gen transfers with the games themselves. They'd have to develop an app for it or else there's no connectivity with the previous gen.

It is not necessary, however, to charge for this, or to necessitate the use of a paid feature to accomplish this.

Yeah I mean Pokemon is totally failing, right, guys?

This has nothing to do with what I'm saying, I'm saying that possible software restrictions down the road will prevent you from using the same exact program for years to come.

THEN USE THE ONE MONTH FREE TRIAL IF STANDING ON PRINCIPAL IS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU

Here, you must have missed this:

1-2 years is usually around the point where I've run out of Pokemon to train, and when we have most or all of the games released, so we know what is and what is not accessible in the current gen. So that's around the time I start to transfer my old favorites and Pokemon I need for the Pokedex. It's perfectly reasonable to need to use this several years down the road, which is why this time limit is ridiculous.

The trial is virtually useless to me.

Pokemon Bank has recurring costs, Pokedex 3D does not. It's developed and that's pretty much it, maybe some patches here and there. That's the fundamental difference. They need to recoup the costs they're constantly putting in to Pokemon Bank to be profitable. You're coming off as a traditional entitled consumer. GameFreak owes you nothing, you are choosing to pay for and support what they are selling, if you do not support it then don't buy it and take your business elsewhere. It's that simple.

Well Game Freak is coming off as a traditional entitled developer by making me pay more money to get a game with the features that are usually included in the game, so we're even.

And again, they can recoup their losses by charging more for Pokemon Bank instead of charging for transfers.

EDIT:

So you want transferring to be free, but it's okay for them to charge for cloud storage via Pokemon Bank? Unfortunately, Pokemon from a DS game can't be directly transfered to a 3DS title, as Matsuda himself stated, so this acts like a middle man in conjunction with Pokemon Bank. There is no way around it yet. You will just have to learn how to deal with the fact that paying $5 a year to store your transfered Pokemon is the only option right now.

Okay, I'm getting sick of this. Every time I bring this up, you guys always make some kind of jump in logic where "use of an app to transfer = forced usage of Pokemon Bank= forced service charge". That is not the case, there are several ways they can get around Pokemon Bank and its service charge. I've put forth several suggestions in this thread as far as how to handle this without charging for it, so before you respond to this, please go back and read them.

They are only charging you for Pokemon Bank, which you need to transfer, kind of like how a store charges for another DS in order for you to transfer from Gen 4 to 5, unless you are spoiled or rich and can buy another DS on a whim.

It's a bad sign that they've created an innovative way to cloud store all of your Pokemon, from the 5th Generation onwards? Doctor, my head.

If you want to talk semantics, then the same could be said that without Pokemon Bank, you'd need 2 3DS to trade.

Well technically, that IS the only thing they are being compensated for. You don't have to pay additional charges to transfer anything. It's a free app that works as long as you pay for your justified, as you admit, $5 dollar service for for Pokemon Bank.

You're not understanding my point at all. I don't care that technically Transporter app is free, that doesn't matter. The end result is that you do have to pay money for transfers. This is the entire problem, there should not be any costs anywhere in the transfer process. A charge of $0.00 from beginning to end. If you can't understand that much, I'm done arguing with you.

Without Pokemon Bank, which is something you agree should be paid for, transferring wont be possible, as stated by Serebii, Matsuda, and and cast of colorful forum posters who are actually using common sense. Let me guess. your next question will be the validity of Matsuda and Serebii, and you'll be begging for credentials probably too.

Again, this is false. It's because of the way they designed it that Pokemon Bank is necessary, not the lack of compatibility between DS and 3DS.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So, Pokemon bank/transporter is a thing now...
Can't say I didn't see it coming, but I'm a little confused. Do you have to pay for the app, or do you pay per year?

$5 a year.

Well Game Freak is coming off as a traditional entitled developer by making me pay more money to get a game with the features that are usually included in the game, so we're even.

It's their game. They're the ones pouring thousands of hours of their time, for many member of the team a significant portion of their life, into making it. They can choose to develop it pretty much however they damn well please.

And again, they can recoup their losses by charging more for Pokemon Bank instead of charging for transfers.

They're not charging for transferring.

Jb

Tsun in the streets

This is your problem then. Most people that want the game, will have it via day 1, black friday, or for Christmas.

Pick the game up, beat it, transfer Pokemon. Problem solved. Nothing says you have to use the Pokemon you transfer so just let them sit on the new game.

randomspot555

Right, but the fact that they don't charge for every single app means that they draw a line somewhere as far what they believe is and is not worth giving away for free.

And apparently they believe that this bundled app, which Transfer wouldn't work without cloud storage, is a proper solution to charge. Without the Cloud storage, Transferring would go no where.

Because expecting my game to come with all of the features that I pay for isn't freeloading. Meanwhile, the people who are buying Bank are getting additional features for a bargain of a price, so it would be reasonable to increase the price there to maintain the integrity of having a game with all of the same features as last gen.

XY won't come with this feature. Feel free to not buy this game if this upsets you that much. In fact, as stated by Masuda and many others, it is impossible for DS games to communicate with 3DS games.

It is not necessary, however, to charge for this, or to necessitate the use of a paid feature to accomplish this.

Actually, it is necessary. the development of the app requires additional resources, and transferring requires cloud storage because otherwise the Pokemon have nowhere to go.

Please don't make your "I don't want to pay for it" into some sort of objective statement.

This has nothing to do with what I'm saying, I'm saying that possible software restrictions down the road will prevent you from using the same exact program for years to come.

Except they specifically said they want to utilize this for years to come. What's your evidence that they intend to do otherwise?

That sounds like a personal problem to me. There is a free trial.That you choose not to use for whatever reason it is absolutely meaningless to the fact that it'll be offered.

Except Transferring can't work without bank. What part of that don't you understand?

Feel free to not buy these games, please.

SkyTheMagicalSpiritualFox

A wild Heavenly Fairy Type Creatures Appeared!
Do you even know what you're talking about? The Bill of Rights, Pokemon, Nintendo and Japan are totally different things.

You simply can't arrest someone because they hacked a Pokemon. That bill wouldn't even pass. Even if it did cover all online games. Simply banning the hacker or, the product of hacking is the best choice. And that's what's being done here.

1 Yes but the only way they can pass a law to stop hacking in online gaming is if they force the law to be pass without anyone say so without even a petition which go against the bill of rights because knowing the high number of people that's hack game for online play is very high, and they will destroy the stop hacking bill like its nothing with a petition,

And two i meant for all game online not just pokemon because hacking on online game need to stop,

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Well there's never been a limit on that before, and since now you're paying for it, I doubt it.
Also this was one of the sample boxes shown
sept_bank_p5_01_afawg.jpg

so that's a safe worry to put to bed

I think the only Pokemon that will forever be locked off will be Spiky Eared Pichu
I see, thanks for posting that. Glad to know they're not limiting stuff. On a side note (slightly OT), I wonder if they'll be having a Shaymin event in the future again, for those who missed out on it the last time?

randomspot555

1 Yes but the only way they can pass a law to stop hacking in gaming is if they force the law to be pass without anyone say so without even a petition which go against the bill of rights because knowing the high number of people that's hack game for online play is very high, and they will destroy the stop hacking bill like its nothing with a petition,

And two i meant for all game online not just pokemon because hacking on online game need to stop,

Well you better get off the Internet and get to work lobbying your Congresscritter on this critical piece of legislation!

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
1. If you know someone with a 5th Gen game, a 6th Gen game, and Pokémon Bank, and some generosity.. They can transfer your Pokémon Via their own DS/3DS Games. We had a thread for this purpose in the 5th gen Wifi Forum. If you'd like me to help: cool it.

2. I recommend Trying out Dempamen Demo in the eShop Demo. It's a Game by one of Pokémon Game Developers. The Catch: Dempamen is a eShop Exclusive.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I wonder if you will actually have to buy an e-card that's $20 just for the $5 annual fee? That seems silly to me. Even though a $20 card isn't a lot to have a yearly service (well for years) the principle of having to pay for that just to use it for the $5 fee feels kind of demotivating.

I was hoping it would be a credit card charge ... Or maybe they'll release Pokemon bank e-cards... that are $5 fees

I wouldn't be thrilled if it was a credit card charge, since not every one has one. But the $5 Pokémon bank cards are a good and practical idea. And a good alternative for those who may not be able to afford paying $20 for an eshop card all the time.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
They're not charging for transferring.

But you're still paying for it, that's what matters in the end.

This is your problem then. Most people that want the game, will have it via day 1, black friday, or for Christmas.

Pick the game up, beat it, transfer Pokemon. Problem solved. Nothing says you have to use the Pokemon you transfer so just let them sit on the new game.

The fact that they are giving me an ultimatum to transfer all of my Pokemon at once or pay money is ridiculous.

XY won't come with this feature. Feel free to not buy this game if this upsets you that much. In fact, as stated by Masuda and many others, it is impossible for DS games to communicate with 3DS games.

If they can't include this feature in the actual game, fine. But the fact that I'm being forced to shell out money for a feature that they could've avoided having you pay for is cheap.

Except they specifically said they want to utilize this for years to come. What's your evidence that they intend to do otherwise?

I'm not saying they won't, I'm saying that in order to do so, we need updates every generation for it to work.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
The fact that they are giving me an ultimatum to transfer all of my Pokemon at once or pay money is ridiculous.

It's more a prison of your own creation, really. The option to transfer for free is available, but it is your decision not to take advantage of it.

Ditto24

I'm not saying they won't, I'm saying that in order to do so, we need updates every generation for it to work.

What will need updating though? I think it's safe to assume that all generations of Nintendo handhelds will be able to access Bank.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
But you're still paying for it, that's what matters in the end.

No, you're just assuming you have to. Like I said, their could still be the traditional method in the games. The Transporter could just be a far more convenient method for Pokemon Bank users.

The fact you're making such a big deal here is what's truly ridiculous.

Part of the subscription will go into funding the manpower for those changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.