• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Bank & Poké Transporter Thread [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtompkins48

I like the fact there's a check now, but I want to know how extensive it is. I understand there's a lot of people who hack possible pokemon to save time and the tedious task of raising; simply to battle with them against friends fairly.

Sorry that you faced hostility for asking this question. As you've probably noticed, it's pretty impossible to have any type of discussion on this thread without getting attacked by self-appointed white knights. Contrary to what others said, I dont think there is a clear answer to this question and discussion of it should be allowed.

It is difficult to talk about hacked pokemon without causing an uproar because many people are opposed to it based on the perceived "morality" of it all. I personally don't take pokemon seriously enough to care what other people do with their own games. My main issue is with badly hacked pokemon that ruin the post game. I also think that the game is more fun and fulfilling if played clean.

Unfortunately, the only way to truly solve the hacking problem would be to not allow transferring at all. I wouldnt mind this solution, as long as the game made every pokemon available in some way. X and Y only have around 120 unobtainable pokemon, so GameFreak could have gone in this direction if they wanted to. Obviously, they did not want to deal with the backlash from the fanbase. Also, transferring is the only part of the pokemon bank that is attractive to non-hardcore fans.

I have no doubt that the hack check will be a huge improvement over past ones, especially since every one so far has been a complete joke. This will at least get the poorly-made hacks out of circulation. However, a Pokemon's code is just too simple to implement any real, conclusive hack checking. The best we've gotten were the checks done by tournaments, but the main advantage of those were that they banned people who's cartridge had ever been touched by AR. Obviously, the bank's hack check will not do this. The best case scenario will be for it to check the hexidecimal code looking for any abnormalities. Any system other than this will be virtually useless.

The fact remains that it is far too easy to hack pokemon with a hexidecimal code that's indistinguishable from the real thing. If the code is exactly the same, what are the chances of it being detected? Zero. The only way to find out would be magic. It used to be that PokeSav pokemon had a missing piece of code, but even that has been fixed. This is especially true with pokemon from Gen IV that were made with the wild pokemon modifier or the shiny code and then transferred over to Gen V. Their code is literally perfect, and the location data was reset. How are they suppossed to accurately detect that?

So thats my opinion on the extensitivity of the hack check. Like I said before, the only way to truly solve the problem would be to ban transfers entirely. I sorta wish they would do this but that will never happen. It's been kinda nice playing X and Y knowing that every pokemon was real.

Now i'm sure that I'll be insulted for saying this and have my post cherry picked for any possible flaw. If you want to discuss the actual logic of what I'm saying thats fine, but any childish or insulting responses will be ignored. Pokemon Bank is too insignificant of a topic to spend my whole night arguing about.

Last edited:

Assassin

Cascade Trainer
My concern so far is that I will not be able to take my Scizor, Assassin, to X/Y. Why? The nickname Assassin is not allowed in X/Y's naming scheme, and I can't trade her back to FireRed to rename her. Hoping I can get a free re-name, or even just turning the name back to plain Scizor.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
My concern so far is that I will not be able to take my Scizor, Assassin, to X/Y. Why? The nickname Assassin is not allowed in X/Y's naming scheme, and I can't trade her back to FireRed to rename her. Hoping I can get a free re-name, or even just turning the name back to plain Scizor.

It's not going to block names. It's only going to block hacked Pokemon.

Puma Italia

This may have already been mentioned, but would you first upload your Pokemon and transfer from Pokemon Bank? Or will the two be completely separate?

Geo152

I'm kinda liking the battles without the poke transfer cause it sorta has everyone on an even playing field, though once it comes out I can kiss that dream goodbye.

thepinguins

Steel Jester
I'm kinda liking the battles without the poke transfer cause it sorta has everyone on an even playing field, though once it comes out I can kiss that dream goodbye.

Agreed, as my previous pokemon games weren't played for Competitive as I would mostly never play Versus on the internet. With X and Y, though, I've gone full throttle and have EV trained pokemon and made teams for Competitive. Shame I'll be more restricted (In a way) when PokeTransfer comes around :c

Regality

Digital King
Just thinking.. PokeBank will make all legendaries found in X/Y pretty much worthless right?
I am imagining that there will be loads of them due to people catching them, putting them into the bank, then starting a new game and just repeating that...

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Just thinking.. PokeBank will make all legendaries found in X/Y pretty much worthless right?
I am imagining that there will be loads of them due to people catching them, putting them into the bank, then starting a new game and just repeating that...

You're implying that they already have worth. There are people already who can simple trade them to another game as soon as they get them. Bank will make this easier for people with only one game, but it's not going to change a whole lot.

Neo_Mametchi

I'm curious to see how good the hacked pokemon filter will be. Like for shiny pokemon. All u had to do was use a shiny code for wild encounters. I wonder if it will be able to detect that. You'd think it would probably let them slide through since they weren't cheated on directly.

I'm also wondering if legit pokemon that were hacked to add something like a move they can't learn or pokerus then have it removed before sending will still be blocked.

Astry

I have worries not on the program but on the legitimacy of trades. I pesonally have not nor will hack/altr mons but can any one be sure that pokes they got in trade being told there legit are actully legit? I did a lot of tradeing back in black2 for some god IVs or old hard to get pokes, only way I can check currently is trying to it them up on GTS of B/W. Would really suck If they fail the new bank program considering any one who traded under the same basis of thinking is good just to lose what you traded for but also what they traded with.

randomspot555

I'm curious to see how good the hacked pokemon filter will be. Like for shiny pokemon. All u had to do was use a shiny code for wild encounters. I wonder if it will be able to detect that. You'd think it would probably let them slide through since they weren't cheated on directly.

I'm also wondering if legit pokemon that were hacked to add something like a move they can't learn or pokerus then have it removed before sending will still be blocked.

A hacked Pokemon is defined as one that is hacked. Both of your cases you cite are hacked Pokemon. Now if they actually fall outside of the legal boundaries of the game, or more precisely, the legal boundaries the Bank checks for, is a whole other question.

And like the other several dozen times this question has been asked, it is unknown and Game Freak/Nintendo isn't going to release details of any legality check, Bank or otherwise.

I have worries not on the program but on the legitimacy of trades. I pesonally have not nor will hack/altr mons but can any one be sure that pokes they got in trade being told there legit are actully legit? I did a lot of tradeing back in black2 for some god IVs or old hard to get pokes, only way I can check currently is trying to it them up on GTS of B/W. Would really suck If they fail the new bank program considering any one who traded under the same basis of thinking is good just to lose what you traded for but also what they traded with.

Any legality check should just do the check. It doesn't matter if you got it through a trade or not and there really shouldn't be a trade exemption or whatever.

Tytus

Iron Islander

It still takes a while to play through the game to get those legendaries, so I don't see people spending days filling up boxes of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.