• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Bank & Poké Transporter Thread [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Firstly I completely understand why Nintendo has done this. I'd just like to know how this Hack check works. I do resent dose that hack a Pokemon to automatically have perfect stats, abilities and moves. I also particularly hate Pokemon hacked to have stats, abilities and moves beyond its natural parameters. However is cheating to capture a standard Lotad really in the same league? If that Lotad is then breed, its child is surly a legitimate Pokemon so will that get picked up? If trained correctly is there even a difference aside from the original method it was obtained? I even wonder if it will search the game itself. I am sure lots of people have used a quick egg hatching cheat, so will they be banned? Used a cheat to get all TMs? Is that going to effect things? Certainly interesting.

What I am most confused by however if the fact that an Action Reply IS a legitimate product, sold in shops for use on the DS, whether you like it or not its legal tender. So I wonder, if Nintendo really dislikes it why not just ban it outright? Is it some kind of free trade thing? If so then blocking its use in games is just the same as banning it right? It seems a blurry line.

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Firstly I completely understand why Nintendo has done this. I'd just like to know how this Hack check works. I do resent dose that hack a Pokemon to automatically have perfect stats, abilities and moves. I also particularly hate Pokemon hacked to have stats, abilities and moves beyond its natural parameters. However is cheating to capture a standard Lotad really in the same league? If that Lotad is then breed, its child is surly a legitimate Pokemon so will that get picked up? If trained correctly is there even a difference aside from the original method it was obtained? I even wonder if it will search the game itself. I am sure lots of people have used a quick egg hatching cheat, so will they be banned? Used a cheat to get all TMs? Is that going to effect things? Certainly interesting.

What I am most confused by however if the fact that an Action Reply IS a legitimate product, sold in shops for use on the DS, whether you like it or not its legal tender. There I wonder, if Nintendo really dislike it why not just ban it outright? Is it some kind of free trade thing? If so then blocking its use in games is just the same as banning it right?
It think that any Pokemon that can't get through the tournaments set up in the 5th generation are Pokemon that are counted as hacks. If you bred a Lotad from a "hacked" one, then you should be in the clear as it's not the one that was hacked. Of coarse this is all just assumption because we have no real way of telling right now

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

What I am most confused by however if the fact that an Action Reply IS a legitimate product, sold in shops for use on the DS, whether you like it or not its legal tender. So I wonder, if Nintendo really dislikes it why not just ban it outright? Is it some kind of free trade thing? If so then blocking its use in games is just the same as banning it right? It seems a blurry line.

Nintendo can't ban a product from shelves simply because they don't like it. However they have every right to prevent their game from doing things that they don't like.

Carruls

Shiny hunter
well i think that nintendo is just overreacting. solution to hacked pokemon on tournaments or trades? then just block them there!! no need for any block on normal offline gameplay :609: ;253; :609:;413-i; ;011;;201-x;;287; ;225;

Aquanova

I think the hack checker is reasonable. The fact is people do not just keep hacks to themselves. They sometimes use them online with other people who dont know or unknowingly trade them to people who arent aware. I this this is an unfair thing to do, but some people just dont care and do it anyway. If the hack checker keeps less hacks from getting to X/Y and then to Wonder Trade and the GTS and other online features, then I say it's a good thing. Then again, we have no idea what it supposedly will block and how extensive it will be.

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
I don't understand your need to talk down on others who find it difficult. I, too, have a full time job and don't have money to be buying older handheld consoles and all the respective games I need to complete a dex. it is difficult unless you're essentially handed all the pokemon. and I also don't have many friends who play pokemon so that doesn't help. that's why completing the dex was never a priority for me. but alas, I can't wait to transfer my BW2 pokemon over. I got a shiny oshawott via masuda method with a good nature and decent IV's :)

I'm just really tired of hearing the same argument over and over again of "it's just so hard to get all the mons!"...for justifying allowing hacked Pokemon, which ruins the multiplayer experience for everyone when they inevitably have to battle against them or get one in a trade (which can get them banned from tournaments solely for having it even if they didn't hack it themselves).

Hack on your own time and your own game, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else, it doesn't matter. But insisting that Bank shouldn't have a hack check because it's apparently too hard to fill up the dex is stupid and ridiculous.

Charizard006

Beginning Trainer
I just got the last possible pokemon I can obtain on x&y(Dusknoir) and now my pokedex is sitting pretty at 603 seen and 596 obtained( only missing the unobtainable pokes on the list on the main site). Can't wait for the bank to come so I can collect my shiny charm :D

Also debunks the theory that completing the pokedex w/o cheating is impossible, if I got this far just from trading and training.:D

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I just got the last possible pokemon I can obtain on x&y(Dusknoir) and now my pokedex is sitting pretty at 603 seen and 596 obtained( only missing the unobtainable pokes on the list on the main site). Can't wait for the bank to come so I can collect my shiny charm :D

Also debunks the theory that completing the pokedex w/o cheating is impossible, if I got this far just from trading and training.:D

It was never a theory, it was just people being lazy and trying to make excuses.

Fruitt

SHARKEISHA
The thing with the hack check is, obviously there are going to be some that can get through. It's possible to make the hacked pokemon look completely legitimate and if it does look legitimate, the bank won't be able to tell that it's hacked. And we won't be seeing any hacked 6th gen pokes for a while considering it's difficult to do so on a 3DS (I think), but any gen before that, hackers can just hack the pokes into their B/B2 or W/W2 and then transfer them over to X and Y. So hacked pokes will still be around, just not in such a large magnitude because of the new hack check.

Blazios

Just so you know, the max seen at the moment is 612, not 603. Becomes pointless when Bank is released, though.

Also, yay Britain pays the most for downloadable things as usual.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
I'm just really tired of hearing the same argument over and over again of "it's just so hard to get all the mons!"...for justifying allowing hacked Pokemon, which ruins the multiplayer experience for everyone when they inevitably have to battle against them or get one in a trade (which can get them banned from tournaments solely for having it even if they didn't hack it themselves).

Hack on your own time and your own game, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else, it doesn't matter. But insisting that Bank shouldn't have a hack check because it's apparently too hard to fill up the dex is stupid and ridiculous.

Hear hear. If people keep using that same old rhetoric, why not ask Game Freak to make every Pokémon perfect 31 every time! With Sparkles! And can learn every move in the universe!

And then we'll finally stop playing and appreciate wonderful, bountiful nature. Who needs Pokémon when we can spend the rest of our days appreciating the bright, round moon?

Banebdjetet

Pokemon Scientist
I'm curious about how the bank/transporter will affect abilities of previous gen pokemon. For example, if you caught a Kecleon in the Dream World/Entralink in your copy of White, it would have it's "hidden ability" because it is a dream world pokemon. However, Kecleon's HA in Gen V is the same as it's regular ability, Color Change. If this Kecleon was transported to XY, would it retain the ability Color Change, or would it change to Protean since this is the data for the hidden ability in this generation?

R_N

I'm curious about how the bank/transporter will affect abilities of previous gen pokemon. For example, if you caught a Kecleon in the Dream World/Entralink in your copy of White, it would have it's "hidden ability" because it is a dream world pokemon. However, Kecleon's HA in Gen V is the same as it's regular ability, Color Change. If this Kecleon was transported to XY, would it retain the ability Color Change, or would it change to Protean since this is the data for the hidden ability in this generation?

I think this happened in Pal Park transfers in 4th gen. Sometimes something like Porygon, which only had 1 ability in gen 3, would change to their new second ability.

If my understanding is correct, if something only had 1 ability, both slots were used for it.
Gen 3 Porygon only had Trace, so Slot 1 and 2 were both Trace. If it was a porygon with Trace in Slot 2 when transferred, it'd become Download.

So theoretically, dream world Kecleon should still be a "slot 3" kecleon that would change to Protean.

I think, anyway, it's been ages since this has been relevant

Blazios

From Gen III to IV, even if the Pokémon's ability slot changed over the Generation, the Ability itself only changed if the Pokémon evolved, so I assume that Dream World Kecleon with Protean would be imossible.

Banebdjetet

Pokemon Scientist
if it didn't change, because the pokemon didn't undergo evolution, i wonder if a female dream world kecleon would still have a chance of passing her "slot 3" ability as a HA i guess we'll see how this all works out. It could be different this time around, because the bank/transporter may act differently than previous transfer processes

R_N

if it didn't change, because the pokemon didn't undergo evolution, i wonder if a female dream world kecleon would still have a chance of passing her "slot 3" ability as a HA i guess we'll see how this all works out. It could be different this time around, because the bank/transporter may act differently than previous transfer processes

From Gen III to IV, even if the Pokémon's ability slot changed over the Generation, the Ability itself only changed if the Pokémon evolved, so I assume that Dream World Kecleon with Protean would be imossible.

Now I'm curious about Scolipede. Of the pokemon who got their Hidden Abilities (that is, of the ones who actually had them from the get-go) changed, Scolipede's the only one who was already released. If it's like before, it should still be Quick Feet and not turn into Speed Boost, yeah? Wonder if it still passes down Quick Feet

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Now I'm curious about Scolipede. Of the pokemon who got their Hidden Abilities (that is, of the ones who actually had them from the get-go) changed, Scolipede's the only one who was already released. If it's like before, it should still be Quick Feet and not turn into Speed Boost, yeah? Wonder if it still passes down Quick Feet
On top of this discussion, I think Togepi or Togetic transferred from Gen III would flip flop abilities. Hustle to Serene Grace, Serene Grace to Hustle. Don't take my absolute word for it though.

Saroku

I don't care about what I've seen in the pokedex, if I caught all of them minus, say, deoxys, then I still haven't caught all pokemon, which is the entire point of these games. It's frustrating that arceus or deoxys are on the games I purchased, but they are not accessible. That's all, I know nobody chose to cheat but me.

Wheren't you just talking about how its all just a game with pixels? Why are you now frustrated? Its just a game.

And the point of the games is to get all Pokemon (if you want), but its pointless to get them trough cheating. Exactly cheating makes me think "why are they cheating? This is just a game with pixels. " No need to cheat in a game. If you can't get something then you should remind yourself that its just a GAME. We are not against cheating because we think its more than a game, but because cheating destroys the point of the game.

Last edited:

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
On top of this discussion, I think Togepi or Togetic transferred from Gen III would flip flop abilities. Hustle to Serene Grace, Serene Grace to Hustle. Don't take my absolute word for it though.

It'd make sense if the positions of the abilities were flipped in later games. Especially if the abilities are in fact referenced by slot number (and then referenced for species and fetched). I could see that happening as an oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.