• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon - Battle Frontier (08,09)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I've always felt that the Battle Frontier arc was like the Orange Archipelago arc, except handled much better in terms of the battles. The stakes were much higher for both Satoshi and Haruka, and the final ten episodes were the most exciting ones in all of Advanced Generation. My only issue with this arc were the slow filler episodes in between the Contests and Battle Frontier facilities.

jnshucker12

Pokemon Contests Opinion
So the Pokemon contests all focus on May, the replacement girl for Misty. She has several rivals, but her main rivals are Drew and Harley. Her first contest was kind of good, she struggles with it, which is expected. Her next contests were boring, up until she meets Drew. Drew tells her she's just a mini casanova wannabe, otherwise a noob, and he respects her Pokemon more than he respects her. In his first appearance, he is quite cocky, and he demands a Pokemon battle from her to prove she is good. He does not stay a jerk for long however. Then Harley comes along, and he acts like a major jerk to May. He looks like he's Drew's replacement, but he ends up pissing off Drew, which then means May has to deal with 2 jerks instead of one. There was also a Dusclops guy, who had a very good episode, since it dealer with a guy running away from home to compete in contests, and his appeals were very good. There was this one girl who was in love with Drew and thought May also had a crush on Drew, but it was just a fan service episode, and nothing happened in it. (I'm aware of the rock guy, the young couple, and the Grumpig girl. The rock guy was good, but it felt like a repeat of the Dusclops guy. I don't remember the rest too well.)

But Drew is a good character. The next contest Drew shows up in, Drew gave May a rose to give to Beautifly. In Drew's words, "It's not for you, it's for Beautifly." Very funny. After that though, Drew doesn't do much, at least until the fan service episode, where nothing happens except Drew is at a pool and the girls see him shirtless.

And then there's Harley. He is my favorite character in the whole show. Any thoughts of "he's just here to replace Drew" are blown away by him saying that Drew is May's boyfriend, and then pissing Drew off to the point that he tells May "I'm not weak like you!" In Harley's first episode, he tells the entire audience about May's past a la ridiculously loud voice recording, and he uses this to his advantage by distracting May and attacking. This gives May important characterization, we finally know why she hated Pokémon in the first few episodes. Add to all this, that Harley is a very, very entertaining character, filled to the brim with adult jokes kids will never get (and why the writers thought it was a good idea for his Cacturne to fall in love with and kiss Jesse is beyond me. And why tf did 4Kids add in the lines "I found him lost, and when I learned he was your brother, I insisted he came with me!" (Max) "And he gave me this huge Sundae with Sprinkles and everything!" is beyond me too).

The last few episodes were anti-climatic, however. A new woman named Soledad comes in, who's better than every other rival. Supposedly she knows Brock and Harley. May ends up beating Drew and Harley, but she is defeated by Soledad. Come on, I know she is a young trainer, but at least let her lose to someone she knows! We don't even get to see the battle, it just cuts to the ending! It is very off-putting, and very disappointing!

Leonhart

Imagineer
The last few episodes were anti-climatic, however. A new woman named Soledad comes in, who's better than every other rival. Supposedly she knows Brock and Harley. May ends up beating Drew and Harley, but she is defeated by Soledad. Come on, I know she is a young trainer, but at least let her lose to someone she knows! We don't even get to see the battle, it just cuts to the ending! It is very off-putting, and very disappointing!

I didn't mind Saori. Sure, she was a bit of a Mary Sue since she never lost on-screen, but I can't think of any previously known character who deserved to defeat Haruka in Saori's place.

jnshucker12

I don't hate Soledad. But I still thought it all felt anti-climatic. Even Robert had some build up. Drew could have beaten May, I suppose. (I'll keep silent on my Harley is a former Pokémon Master headcanon.)

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, I didn't enjoy how the Battle Frontier arc's Contest rivals were handled. Other than Wakana, none of them seemed particularly intriguing, and Haruka mainly faced characters like Musashi and Harley anyway, which seemed boring.

MockingJ

Banned
I don't hate Soledad. But I still thought it all felt anti-climatic. Even Robert had some build up. Drew could have beaten May, I suppose. (I'll keep silent on my Harley is a former Pokémon Master headcanon.)

Soledad was a Mary Sue and I wish we had gotten someone more realistic to be May's final Grand Festival opponent. Not that Robert was much better though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
Soledad was a Mary Sue and I wish we had gotten someone more realistic to be May's final Grand Festival opponent. Not that Robert was much better though.

What would count as more realistic? As bland as Saori was, she was the perfect person to end Haruka's winning streak at the Kanto Grand Festival since she was highly skilled and she was also someone whom even Shuu wanted to defeat, which showed just how much of a threat Saori was. And at least unlike Robert, Saori actually interacted with Haruka.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I felt like I was distracted so much by the new character voices that I never gained real enjoyment for the actual story of this saga. The battles were really good now that I think about it but it was hard to like them back in 2006-2007 because of how angry I was about the PUSA change.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
I wondered why back then and still do today: What was the reason for replacing Glalie and Torkoal with Phanpy? Glalie didn’t even get a battle later on, unlike Torkoal. Was there ever a statement by the staff?

BF was a little underwhelming but still an awesome concept

Bendicion

Water Master
Horrific. We had extremely rushed Grand Festivals where May had entire matches skipped or the Solidad battle which was less than 15 seconds long. Also, May needing to get five ribbons and compete in the Grand Festival in a relatively short amount of time really didn't work in her favor either. However, If the writers had been able to stretch out the Hoenn journey for all of AG, May's journey probably would have been improved. She might have been able to lose a couple of more Contests and capture/evolve more Pokemon. There were fair and share BS victories, like when she clearly wins to Brock, or Harley's Ariados. Or the fact that she literally defeated Bannete with Normal moves, etc. Its ridiculous.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
This is not true, she doesn't have any matches skipped at all and everything is shown up till Solidad's battle. Dawn had two whole rounds of her Grand Festival done off-screen, and only a 20 second battle with Jessie for the semi-finals. Why aren't you talking about half of Dawn's GF being off-screen? We only saw two full battles out of Dawn somehow while others were skipped entirely.

They really was no way to stretch it out, and Squirtle did not defeat Banette with normal moves, their match came down to a sudden death. Using rapid spin to spin Banette off its shell is not a big deal.

Which is honestly too late, as by that point her run was pretty much over.
Scott returns!

Bendicion

Water Master
May's pokemon tended not to get much screentime outside of their specific contest battles or the eps leading up to them almost similar to the way Journies handled Ash's Pokémon. Beautifly barely appeared in mid/late Hoenn for example. Skitty was used for a bit then got overshadowed by her Bulbasaur, and then all 3 of her Hoenn pokemon were dropped after Hoenn ended. Munchlax didn't do much till the middle of BF despite being captured before the Hoenn Grand Festival and Eevee hardly did anything of note outside the one contest it had against Brock. And of course Torchic was barely used for the first 80 episodes of Hoenn till it evolved.

Obviously May's pokemon were handled a bit better than Misty/Brock's pokemon from the OS (with the exception of Psyduck maybe) but never really got featured as much as Dawn or the later girls, despite the later female leads only having small teams or in some only 1 pokemon.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
This ep was aired at some a magical time, miss this year so much . Crying
Wonderful episode

Bendicion

Water Master
Keep trolling.
Cybercubed, I’m going to give you a little piece of advice. You’re wasting your time posting on serebii. You’re wasting your time creating multiple accounts trying to prove me wrong. You really are forever triggered by me it seems. you're also wasting all your time trying to say everything about May is perfect like a sad disturbed person. You've actually gotten worse as you've gotten older, you wasted the last 20 years of your life bashing Misty and being bitter to now creating multiple accounts when you didn't have to do all this. I recommend you move on please.