• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon - Battle Frontier (08,09)

Chaotic Sneasel

#1 Sneasel/Alakazam
They didn't seem so different to me...

But now I have a confirmation. >.>

Knight_Ram

If you think about it, they only have a few more years until they're fired too! So we all best just get use to the VA's lol

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
The new voices Ash, May, Max, Brock and Team Rocket may sound horrible, but at least PUSA was kind enough to keep the original voices for some of the Pokemon, mainly Pikachu & Wobbuffet.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
This is my favourite season

GoggleHead

Digimon > Pokemon
Man, not only is the Boring Season, but its new VA's suck eggs. Honestly, is Satoshi's VA a robot, does she/he/it feel no emotion?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Man, not only is the Boring Season, but its new VA's suck eggs. Honestly, is Satoshi's VA a robot, does she/he/it feel no emotion?

How exactly is this a boring season? Not only do we have tons of important episodes happening close together, but there is barely any filler.

Ash has a fully evolved team, the Contest arc is superb, and even Brock is getting decent fillers.

The voice actors are debateable, but to say this season is boring makes me wonder about your well-being.

King Slazo

UK Pokemon Fanatic
This is finally getting a UK release now (see sig), so I'm more psyched than ever. Hopefully, this season won't be ruined by new VA, because that would be a shame. Still, I'll just have to get used to it...

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Plot wise, best season of all.

Unfortunately the hit-and-miss nature of PUSA's dub (especially the writing early on) and the on-air audition quality of several actors knock it down several notches. And when episodes stunk, they were REAL stinkers like Wheel of Frontier and The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing. Towards the end they finally hit the groove, but it's just too bad it took so long.

But on the plus side we got Anabel, Brandon (NOOOOO!!!), Tucker, Scott, Lucy, Harley cosplaying May, Soledad, Solana plus "Deoxys Crisis!!", Slaking Kong, Aipom, even Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon if you count that as a Frontier episode and take it at plot value.

All in all, I have to rank it even with Orange Islands as my favorite season. It would rank higher but the shakiness that gripped it for much of the season knocked it down.

King Slazo

UK Pokemon Fanatic
Okay, Toonami have now shown the first section (they like to split them into groups), and apart from the odd stumble (they missed the Celebi episode, hence my confusion when "oh look, it's the ranger again", but a brilliant season. Favourite epsiodes? The Anabell ones. Hands-down. Don't know why.
On another note, this season has really picked up the pace, with most episodes having a point, unlike before. After some awful early scripts and animation, this series is starting to become enjoyable.
I hope they keep it up.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
And when episodes stunk, they were REAL stinkers like Wheel of Frontier and The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing.

I have no idea why you could dislike an episode filled with characterisation, plot development, and a good battle.

I realize this is May and you we're talking about, but I find it funny that coming from someone who prides themselves as a writer, that you don't recognize GOOD writing in a show when everyone else does.

Why do you pride yourself in being in the minority, seriously?

Cenzo

Red: True Master
My favorite episode was Gathering the Gang of Four. Great flashback sequences, and we finally get to see Ash and his Pokemon just train, something we do not see very often. It was just a nice Ash episode, something we don't get too much anymore.

Alycehunt

Originally posted by Team Rocket Admin
We pretty much know that no matter how good the plot is going to be, season 9 and the ending of the Kanto Battle Frontier (and Pokemon itself) is going to suck balls because of those new gay voice actors. Curse the person who came up with that decision.
Hah, you're right. When I knew that the battle frontier wasn't going to have the normal actors, I almost never watched it, but I am glad I did manage to get used to the voices, because it has been alright. I like May's Eevee, and it's good that Mudkip finally evolved, even though I missed that episode.

Last edited:

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
I don't like Ash's new voice, but I like this season.

Blazing Charmander

I really enjoyed this saga. Although the writing and pacing for the first dozen episodes was below-par, it finally got going with plenty of incident.

This is probably the first season where I had watched a RAW version of an episode, and what better time to watch one than this. I loved seeing Ash's old pokemon return for another shot in the limelight, as well as seeing more development for the main core of his team (i.e. Pikachu, Swellow, Sceptile, Corphish and Donphan), as well as May's. However, I guess we can't really say the same about Brock's lol. The trainers themselves, including Team Rocket also got plenty of character development, which was great to see.

A couple of gripes I have, though. This would've been the perfect opportunity to go back to the Kanto that we all familiarised ourselves with on Ash's first adventure. It would've been fabulous to see how many of the filler characters had progressed since Ash had first met them, as well as providing us with some anticipated reunions. Hey, whatever happened to meeting Samurai for a re-battle, or AJ in the Pokemon League? How about searching for Pidgeot and Primeape to see how they're getting on? Oh well, that's water under the bridge now :). Additionally, that would've taken a lot more time to cover. I was also a little disappointed that certain other Pokemon of Ash's weren't given time to shine (i.e. Johto starters, Noctowl, Muk etc).

On the other hand, the battles were amazing. Charizard V Articuno was entertaining enough (although it would've been better to have seen Ash use rentals in my opinion), and it was also awesome to see Ash struggle against the Regis (Torkoal V Registeel was a great battle). I wasn't, however, too delighted with the decision to have the Kanto starters take on Brandon in the final battle. Although I found it cool enough to see them reunited once again, it would've been better to see Sceptile, Swellow, Corphish and Donphan get one last hurrah before they were inevitably Oak'd.

Despite these gripes though, this was one of my favourite sagas, and I was just as pleased with what it offered than without what I feel it could have offered.

crawdauntpro

darksidetrainer
Aside from the Johto team (save Heracross and Phanpy/Donphan), Muk and Kingler not getting any battle time and Ash's released Pokemon not getting any returns this saga was fantastic!
The Frontier Brains kept a good format relating to the games and seeing Bulbasaur, Chariard and Squirtle together agaion made it all worthwhile and the capture and personality of Aipom was very clever as well.
All in all; 9/10.

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
The voice actors were the only thing that ruined this season.
Nonetheless, fantastic contests, fascinating and exciting battles against the Frontier Brains, and any pokemon evolution make this season one of the best.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'll admit, I didn't think I'd like it the Battle Frontier saga of the anime. The beginning of this arc was full of Fillers about Psyduck, Onix, Jigglypuff, Caterpie, etc. Then after PUSA started dubbing it, I noticed that the episodes got more interesting. I don't know why that is, but even the Fillers in season 9 were interesting. A lot of character development especially for May, Drew, Harley, and Team Rocket, which was needed in most cases. Loved it, 8/10.

Last edited: