• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Best Wishes Series 2 Dekorola Adventure! (April 25th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
When it comes to character development though, most people automatically think about evolution like that's the only way for Pokemon to develop. And the funny thing is that once a Pokemon is fully evolved, if that Pokemon develops problems (like Torterra's losing streak for example), people try to gloss it over and don't offer ways of solving said problem. That only confirms my theory that evolution is viewed as the answer to every problem a Pokemon may have among the fanbase. Thankfully, the writers don't think much of evolution. That's probably the only thing I have in common with them lol. *Goes to her Oshawott shrine and thanks the lord that Oshawott's not evolving*

Like I said, some evolution(Like Snivy and Palpitoad for example) as a way to liven them up a little. And some new moves of course. There are also many different episodes you can do to develop a lot of the pokemon.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Evolution almost always means that the recipient gets some kind of Ego Boost as a result. Whatever happened to that happy Charmander? Same goes for Treecko when he evolved into Grovyle.

So that's why people assume character development = evolution, but I don't really think that's how it should be.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Evolution almost always means that the recipient gets some kind of Ego Boost as a result. Whatever happened to that happy Charmander? Same goes for Treecko when he evolved into Grovyle.

So that's why people assume character development = evolution, but I don't really think that's how it should be.

Meh, in Snivy case she might get happy o_O....

Treeko never really changed his personality lol. He was always the bad *** loner type.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

spikyearedpichu

Dawn of the XY Era
I still worry that we got so many titles reveal with a pair of images leak and still no charizard!!

So this make me wonder if the movie really takes place in DA saga like some people are speculating?

diakyu

I still worry that we got so many titles reveal with a pair of images leak and still no charizard!!

So this make me wonder if the movie really takes place in DA saga like some people are speculating?
We've only seen like what, one other Pokemon besides Pikachu that belongs to Ash? And Charizard doing nothing for all of EN leads me to believe he'll be staying around.

Pokememes

I am the pokémaster!

Well, as there's a muk here, it's possible for a oak appearance, in which ash could switch back his charizard for unfezant.

naughtynun

When it comes to character development though, most people automatically think about evolution like that's the only way for Pokemon to develop. And the funny thing is that once a Pokemon is fully evolved, if that Pokemon develops problems (like Torterra's losing streak for example), people try to gloss it over and don't offer ways of solving said problem. That only confirms my theory that evolution is viewed as the answer to every problem a Pokemon may have among the fanbase. Thankfully, the writers don't think much of evolution. That's probably the only thing I have in common with them lol. *Goes to her Oshawott shrine and thanks the lord that Oshawott's not evolving*

I reckon 80% of development SHOULD be evolution! You train your Pokemon, they get stronger, they evolve. This isn't Digimon, where they can de-evolve again so that they can be cutesy when they are out of battle! Pokemon are supposed to evolve. The writers distaste for evolution can account for a good portion of the staleness in Ash's team. Which are two least favourite teams with fans? Johto and Unova. These are the least evolved teams also. Which teams got the most stale? The same two. Why? Because if the writers weren't in the mood to bother developing Ash's team so they stay unevolved, they lack personality and they don't learn many new moves (or decent ones- NOT tackle and water gun and crud like that). In Sinnoh, the writers made a real effort to develop his team, even though Torterra was shafted in the end for Infernape. The result was evolution, new moves, character development and a non-stale team. Unova has been dire on all of those counts.

In Unova, 7 Pokemon have evolved under Ash's care, the exact same number as in Sinnoh when he had three less team members, so the number of evolutions have been divided between more Pokemon. He should have had at least 9 evolutions with 9 new Pokemon, I think.

The root cause is the writers being too flaming lazy to develop Ash's Pokemon. If Snivy evolved, it would be incredibly refreshing and she would become instantly more popular. I, for one, am fed up of the writers repeating themselves over and over. One Bulbasaur was enough, Snivy doesn't need to be its clone. Serperior is superior, face it. As for Oshawott... lets just say I'm looking forward to the 6th gen when we can be rid of him!

The BW saga has been all about regression. Firstly, we have regression in Ash's development as a character and as a trainer, as evidenced by him becoming babyish again and getting less far in the league than in Sinnoh. Secondly, we have a regression in the writing, with Ash's team going from pretty cool in Sinnoh to absolutely and thoroughly atrocious in Unova, with a disgracefully low amount of development. Also, the terrible writing of the league, gym battles, rival interactions, 'Don tournaments' (what a waste of potential) I could go on forever, but I think I've gone on enough as it is!

BW is objectively the worse saga since Johto, in which we saw the same level of carelessness from the writers, who for absolutely no reason, despite being given loads of time, refused to evolve Ash's team much at all and didn't develop it much either. Pikachu also hogged battles (EVERY single gym) which is a clear indicator of the writers opting for the easy way out, re-using Pikachu stock animation and not having to come up with any new strategies.

Last edited:

jh941

BW is objectively the worse saga since Johto, in which we saw the same level of carelessness from tJust riters, who for absolutely no reason, despite being given loads of time, refused to evolve Ash's team much at all and didn't develop it much either. Pikachu also hogged battles (EVERY single gym) which is a clear indicator of the writers opting for the easy way out, re-using Pikachu stock animation and not having to come up with any new strategies.

Pikachu didn't hog every gym battle as it wasn't in every one.

Gym 1: It was in it but lost, I'd argue Oshawatt was the star here.
Gym 2: Wasn't used.
Gym 3: You could argue Pikachu was the star as it beat the final opponent, but personally is say Sewaddle/Swadloon was.
Gym 4: Yea this one did annoy me a bit, as this should have been Palpitoad time to shine but Pikachu got 2 wins.
Gym 5: Wasn't used.
Gym 6: Got one win but this went to Tranquil/Unfezant.
Gym 7: Wasn't used.
Gym 8: Got the final win as it does every region in the last gym.

I agree with some of your points, but as you can see Pikachu was only used in 5 gyms (same as Tepig/Pignite I might add) and only starred in 2 (you could count 3 but I don't). Whereas in Johto it DID feature in every gym, but its not as bad here.

I don't really think Pikachu was a problem, and yeah there wasn't as many evolutions but I think every member of his team proved themselves at some point.

As much as I actually enjoyed Johto ill admit that his team there was the weakest, But I wouldnt say his Unova team is as bad. Just my opinion though.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
I don't get why people are like evolution this evolution that.

Evolution doesn't solve everything. Before evolution, it's the group of writer. After evolution, it's still the same group of writer. People tend to forget that. The only thing to help a Pokemon is proper development, good screentime and able to show its competence in its 'field'.

The thing with Oshawott is that it'll probably never evolve. I don't mind that, to be honest. I only really wanted it to be... developed, I guess. Aqua Jet was the only development so far in the series. Battling without scalchop went nowhere. As evidenced, it also isn't very competent in battling. I know it's a comedy relief but I want at least... some good wins. The best one I can think of is vs Pansage, which is very early in the series. The rest has its flaws. vs Lenora was partially thanks to Aqua Jet hitting. I actually have 0 problems with the fire-type losing streak too. He should've tied with Pansear. Darmantian is an obvious loss. I forgot what the third loss was, though.

Before anyone brings up Piplup against my competence argument, Piplup is one of the star contest Pokemon in Dawn's team, and it did pretty well in contests. Like Oshawott though, it didn't develop much.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

Evolution doesn't solve everything. Before evolution, it's the group of writer. After evolution, it's still the same group of writer. People tend to forget that. The only thing to help a Pokemon is proper development, good screentime and able to show its competence in its 'field'.

The thing with Oshawott is that it'll probably never evolve. I don't mind that, to be honest. I only really wanted it to be... developed, I guess. Aqua Jet was the only development so far in the series. Battling without scalchop went nowhere. As evidenced, it also isn't very competent in battling. I know it's a comedy relief but I want at least... some good wins. The best one I can think of is vs Pansage, which is very early in the series. The rest has its flaws. vs Lenora was partially thanks to Aqua Jet hitting. I actually have 0 problems with the fire-type losing streak too. He should've tied with Pansear. Darmantian is an obvious loss. I forgot what the third loss was, though.

Before anyone brings up Piplup against my competence argument, Piplup is one of the star contest Pokemon in Dawn's team, and it did pretty well in contests. Like Oshawott though, it didn't develop much.

For me, it wasn't originally a character development issue. I wanted Oshawott to evolve mainly to break Ash's pattern of having unevolved Water types on his main team, & since he caught Oshawott first I thought for sure it would evolve.

I know Palpitoad may contradict this, but I don't count him since he's one of the pokémon Ash constantly rotated (and barely if I may add)

jh941

It did learn Hydro Pump too, although that's about it.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
For me, it wasn't originally a character development issue. I wanted Oshawott to evolve mainly to break Ash's pattern of having unevolved Water types on his main team, & since he caught Oshawott first I thought for sure it would evolve.

I know Palpitoad may contradict this, but I don't count him since he's one of the pokémon Ash constantly rotated (and barely if I may add)

Well I guess we've learned that now whenever Ash gets a water mascot on the show doesn't mean it will evolve. This is why I think him getting the frog in XY might be another waist of time.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Well I guess we've learned that now whenever Ash gets a water mascot on the show doesn't mean it will evolve. This is why I think him getting the frog in XY might be another waist of time.

Not if froakie is the only starter he gets.

naughtynun

Pikachu didn't hog every gym battle as it wasn't in every one.

Gym 1: It was in it but lost, I'd argue Oshawatt was the star here.
Gym 2: Wasn't used.
Gym 3: You could argue Pikachu was the star as it beat the final opponent, but personally is say Sewaddle/Swadloon was.
Gym 4: Yea this one did annoy me a bit, as this should have been Palpitoad time to shine but Pikachu got 2 wins.
Gym 5: Wasn't used.
Gym 6: Got one win but this went to Tranquil/Unfezant.
Gym 7: Wasn't used.
Gym 8: Got the final win as it does every region in the last gym.

I agree with some of your points, but as you can see Pikachu was only used in 5 gyms (same as Tepig/Pignite I might add) and only starred in 2 (you could count 3 but I don't). Whereas in Johto it DID feature in every gym, but its not as bad here.

I don't really think Pikachu was a problem, and yeah there wasn't as many evolutions but I think every member of his team proved themselves at some point.

As much as I actually enjoyed Johto ill admit that his team there was the weakest, But I wouldnt say his Unova team is as bad. Just my opinion though.

I was talking about Johto! Well, put it this way: Pikachu had gym wins in Kanto, the Orange Islands, Hoenn and Sinnoh before Unova began. It is very unusual that a Pokemon caught in a previous region will feature in a gym battles, with a few notable exceptions, and so the Unova gyms were pretty much the only chance the Unova Pokemon had to get gym wins. Pikachu got 5 wins in Unova, it sickens me that that is the same as the wins of Palpitoad, Snivy, Boldore, Krokorok and Scraggy ADDED TOGETHER! There were a total of 22 wins up for grabs (23 if Ash had won all three round in the first gym), that could have equated to 2 wins each with an extra 2 for the writers to give to the starters of their choice, but instead gave 5 wins to Pikachu, 4 wins to Pignite and 3 to Oshawott and Levanny (who we'll let off since that was all it did). How is that not too much!? Granted it was as bad a Johto in that respect.

I was talking about Johto! Well, put it this way: Pikachu had gym wins in Kanto, the Orange Islands, Hoenn and Sinnoh before Unova began. It is very unusual that a Pokemon caught in a previous region will feature in a gym battles, with a few notable exceptions, and so the Unova gyms were pretty much the only chance the Unova Pokemon had to get gym wins. Pikachu got 5 wins in Unova, it sickens me that that is the same as the wins of Palpitoad, Snivy, Boldore, Krokorok and Scraggy ADDED TOGETHER! There were a total of 22 wins up for grabs (23 if Ash had won all three round in the first gym), that could have equated to 2 wins each with an extra 2 for the writers to give to the starters of their choice, but instead gave 5 wins to Pikachu, 4 wins to Pignite and 3 to Oshawott and Levanny (who we'll let off since that was all it did). How is that not too much!? Granted it was as bad a Johto in that respect.

Because you are leting something as trivial as Pikcahu, a member of Ash's region teams getting wins, get to you.

naughtynun

The thing with Oshawott is that it'll probably never evolve. I don't mind that, to be honest. I only really wanted it to be... developed, I guess. Aqua Jet was the only development so far in the series. Battling without scalchop went nowhere. As evidenced, it also isn't very competent in battling. I know it's a comedy relief but I want at least... some good wins. The best one I can think of is vs Pansage, which is very early in the series. The rest has its flaws. vs Lenora was partially thanks to Aqua Jet hitting. I actually have 0 problems with the fire-type losing streak too. He should've tied.

I agree, evolution isn't everything, but it is the easier, most obvious and, I reckon the most popular way of developing a Pokemon. How better to show how something has grown? I wouldn't have minded so much either, if there had been the kind of development you'd wanted. My point is that lack of evolution is one of the key symptoms of the disease we know as 'lack of development'. The root cause of this problem is lazy and overly commercially obsessed writers. I will try and illustrate this point.

Untitled.jpg

I only considered those Pokemon that were on Ash’s team for at least 20 episodes during the saga they were caught in, so as to eliminate those who were not developed due to lack of time.

My ever-so-scientific conclusion is that a Pokemon is 1.8x more likely to be well developed than poorly developed if it has evolved under Ash’s care. If a Pokemon hasn’t evolved under Ash, then it seems to be 2.1x more likely that it will be poorly developed than well developed
This isn't to say that unevolved Pokemon cannot be developed, but that lack of evolution and lack of development often come hand-in-hand. Please, do challenge me if you disagree with my verdict on who is and isn’t well-developed.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I reckon 80% of development SHOULD be evolution! You train your Pokemon, they get stronger, they evolve.

Maybe in the games, but that doesn't always work in the anime, where Pokemon are creatures with personalities of their own. Evolution often leads to Pokemon developing problems, whether they're physical issues like Ash's Grotle had upon evolving, or behavioral issues like Charizard, Mamoswine and Excadrill had. I don't think it's an easy way of developing a Pokemon; it's just an illusion that makes people think that the evolved Pokemon is perfect when that's usually far from the truth.

I agree, evolution isn't everything, but it is the easier, most obvious and, I reckon the most popular way of developing a Pokemon. How better to show how something has grown? I wouldn't have minded so much either, if there had been the kind of development you'd wanted. My point is that lack of evolution is one of the key symptoms of the disease we know as 'lack of development'. The root cause of this problem is lazy and overly commercially obsessed writers. I will try and illustrate this point.

I only considered those Pokemon that were on Ash’s team for at least 20 episodes during the saga they were caught in, so as to eliminate those who were not developed due to lack of time.

My ever-so-scientific conclusion is that a Pokemon is 1.8x more likely to be well developed than poorly developed if it has evolved under Ash’s care. If a Pokemon hasn’t evolved under Ash, then it seems to be 2.1x more likely that it will be poorly developed than well developed
This isn't to say that unevolved Pokemon cannot be developed, but that lack of evolution and lack of development often come hand-in-hand. Please, do challenge me if you disagree with my verdict on who is and isn’t well-developed.

See there you good again with that. How are the writers what I bolded. And how does just evolution the only to show growth in Pokemon? There are other ways to show the Pokemon have come so far since capture.

@Fer42, show me real proof Best Wishes has bad rating. Bad Writng is subjective, but show me reall proof from reliable sources.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.