• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Champion! The Battle of Big Eaters!! (1136)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Am I the only person who just doesn’t care about the amount of focus Go gets? Like I don’t have particular opinion towards his focus episodes? When he gets it, I’m just like “oh, that happened”. It’s mostly the same with Ash this season too. I don’t necessarily agree with the idea of Go “stealing” spotlight but I don’t necessarily think Ash’s 20+ year journey should be reason for him to take a backseat. Both perspectives are fine IMO as long as people aren’t trashing on either of them or their fans. Not trying to diminish anyone’s criticism. Just personally never understood the two extremes around Go’s character.

Anyway, this episode was nice. Definitely one of the better fillers. The Blaziken just walking off stage was easily the best part. Liked seeing all the different ways each Pokémon went about eating.I don’t like Greedent but it looks a little better in the anime. At the very least, Skwovet got some focus. Perfectly fine as a filler

game3524

From a marketing perspective, it makes no sense for Ash to get replaced by Go. Why the hell would you make a character designed to be a foil to the last character and then boot the last character? That's like breaking the leg of a perfectly good three-legged stool and then expecting it to be easier to sit on.

Yup.

Also the fact the writers play it safe with Ash is a pretty good indicator that he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And if Go were going to replace Ash, they would have given him a much more timeless Pokemon like Eevee instead of Scorbunny as his signature.

ShadowDragon16

I can’t believe this episode turned out to be much better than the Mewtwo episode XD

Ofcourse it went over better XD
People had high expectations for the Mewtwo episode because they advertised the fact it was the one for the movie. People were hoping to have a flashback to the previous movie. Your not going to have much expectations for these filler episodes but when you bring in a classic fan favorite like Mewtwo and completely mess it up. Yeah you can see why expectations for this season is extremely low.

I got confused about why they chose Blaziken of all things to be a superstar in an eating contest

It's just to make him quit upon those Torchic chocolates, lol

nuzamaki90

The complaints about Ash getting a so called backseat is getting really petty and not even a complaint at this point, its now just childish whining. Ash has gotten enough over the past 20+ years now and barely has anything else to do. He’s gotten over 1100 episodes of screentime and some of you are whining that he hasn’t been getting anything? Get over it.
What a weird take? What does it matter that he’s been in the show for so long? If anything that furthers the point that they still have him on the show yet he is barely ever doing anything of note. Ash feels like a side character yet has an apparent goal that has a semi-focused underlying plot in the show but the show isn’t really putting that much importance in it. Even in Ash focused episodes, there’s at least 1/4 and at the most 2/4 of the episode focusing on Go and his catching antics, but in vice versa that isn’t the cast. There are only two main protagonists this series, so why isn’t the distribution of screen time even? Ash has caught Pokémon as well in this series so how come Go’s reserves are the ones that appear the most?

Calling genuine complaints as nothing but whining is so passive aggressive. I like Go but maybe let’s see Ash battle more trainers to progress in his goal too, no? Seeing how we haven’t seen him do so in 3 months.

BobbbidyBob

What a weird take? What does it matter that he’s been in the show for so long? If anything that furthers the point that they still have him on the show yet he is barely ever doing anything of note. Ash feels like a side character yet has an apparent goal that has a semi-focused underlying plot in the show but the show isn’t really putting that much importance in it. Even in Ash focused episodes, there’s at least 1/4 and at the most 2/4 of the episode focusing on Go and his catching antics, but in vice versa that isn’t the cast. There are only two main protagonists this series, so why isn’t the distribution of screen time even? Ash has caught Pokémon as well in this series so how come Go’s reserves are the ones that appear the most?

Calling genuine complaints as nothing but whining is so passive aggressive. I like Go but maybe let’s see Ash battle more trainers to progress in his goal too, no? Seeing how we haven’t seen him do so in 3 months.
I think it’s not so much that Ash has been here for too long, but rather they had him without progressing for too long (not winning a league until now) and just now are getting started.

BobbbidyBob

Ofcourse it went over better XD
People had high expectations for the Mewtwo episode because they advertised the fact it was the one for the movie. People were hoping to have a flashback to the previous movie. Your not going to have much expectations for these filler episodes but when you bring in a classic fan favorite like Mewtwo and completely mess it up. Yeah you can see why expectations for this season is extremely low.
Dat true!

nuzamaki90

I think it’s not so much that Ash has been here for too long, but rather they had him without progressing for too long (not winning a league until now) and just now are getting started.
Exactly, Ash is finally a League Champion and currently in a tournament to decide the absolute strongest. Can we see a little bit more of that? Why does Go have to catch a Pokémon or show off his reserves almost every time Ash is getting some focus? Instead of Ash competing in the contest and not actually seeing him compete, why couldn’t we have seen him use Dragonite in a PWC battle with one of the contestants? Can we finally get the chance to see G-Farfetch’d again?

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
Been busy, so I haven't been able to post lately. But now I can. I was originally going into this expecting very little, but this was a lot of fun. I didn't expect the tournament to have strategic plays or have Pokemon use their natural abilities to their advantage. I'd totally be up for more eating competition episodes.

Cute details I liked
  • Pinsir feeding Heracross.
  • Kikuna shows more of a personality.
  • Team Rocket's dynamic with Morpeko.
  • Morpeko in a bag with a baby leash.
  • Go's Bullet Seed strategy. I love when he comes up with these unorthodox, but logical plans.
  • Go's tart play.
  • Honestly, Go's strategies in general were pretty cool.
  • Blaziken not eating the Torchic manju. Not only that, but it left to"protect the weak chicks," and its trainer joining it without so much as a complaint. I'm rooting for them next time.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Just personally never understood the two extremes around Go’s character.

Sometimes it feels the whole "well, we got two protagonists so we have to support our favorite two force and hate the least favorite".

Honestly, I kind of feel of an anomaly because I like both. Sure, I have more of a bias towards Ash but that's because I've known him since since I was like 10-11. But I still think Goh is a decent character all around and I have no issue with him getting more spotlight.

All in all, what I mean is that why choose one when you can have both? :p

I'm rooting for them next time.

Yeah, me too.

Darn, Kikuna - can't remember her english name and too tired to look for it - really sold them to us lol

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Thanks.

Really, I have a hard time remember that one aside from being a harder way of saying "Chris".

It's one of the cases where the localized name is more complicated and harder to remember than the original name.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
So... This episode Go wins a contest and wins a trip to Isshu to get a bunch of free gourmet food.
Preview: "We are in Isshu to get a bunch of free gourmet food which was our prize from last week!"

What is this... ACTUAL CONTINUITY BETWEEN EPISODES THAT ARE NOT SET IN GALAR?!

...It's not much, but it's more than I'm used to from this series.

People really forgot about the inter continuity from episode 29 and 30 where yamper's jealousy was referenced in the Pikachu ash Delia episode, and also that unova guy being a clone and appearing in 2 diff episodes

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
People really forgot about the inter continuity from episode 29 and 30 where yamper's jealousy was referenced in the Pikachu ash Delia episode, and also that unova guy being a clone and appearing in 2 diff episodes
Callbacks have happened before, sure. But here we have two episodes in a row where the latter only happens because of the former. Outside of Galar this has essentially only happened with the Gänger eps and the Saito episodes. (And even there they really did not do much; Remember when people were thinking the Alola episode would be the one where Satoshi got over his slump by going back to the place where he was widely recognized as being the best of the best?) Saying "Hey this happened in another episode" or introducing what is essentially another Nurse Joy type character who has like fifty identical clones is not the same thing.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm not sure they should have bothered to connect this episode with the next one that follows. Like, what's the point? Greedent is not even the focus but two no-shows who didn't do anything in the former episode. Even more bizarre is how this saga feels more episodic due to its aimless nature.

If it was up to me, I'd have Greedent still be the focus in the next episode by eating all the food and causing problems for Goh.

dentula

After slogging through the sword/shield arc, this episode reminded me why I like the series.

Koharu’s words sum up my conclusion for this episode: “Never thought I would get invested in an eating contest”
I appreciated how a secondary character (the assistant) got to shine and get a personality in this episode. And Team rocket got brains this episode.
hahah Same. I chortled throughout the episode. And I appreciate the focus shifting from Satoshi to the other characters. Plus Kairyu is adorable as ever.

I am past ready for Ash to get the boot and we start with a fresh slate

20 years is 19 years too many for a protagonist to stick around with no development
Seconded. Makes me wonder how successful the anime would be if they had adapted from the manga series every generation.

Is it sad I cared a hell lot more about the Blaziken than Goh or Ash being in this episode.

It's like that one time I saw the background Psyduck during Alain's flashback, or the badass Feraligatr bystander in FemTwo's movie.
Not sad or strange at all. That Feraligatr was the best thing that's ever happened to this series.

It's like that one time I saw the background Psyduck during Alain's flashback, or the badass Feraligatr bystander in FemTwo's movie.
Just curious, but what do you mean by the FemTwo's movie?