• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Champion! The Battle of Big Eaters!! (1136)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Pretty messed up, forcing a Blaziken to eat something that resembles it. No wonder it quit.

i did find it touching and humorous at the same time it couldn't do it. did the organizers do that on purpose?

See Ash be eliminated in an eating contest, of all things, is strange, but, eh, dragonite isn’t a snorlax (who also loses).

You know if it was the humans eating, he probably would've won hands down.

Also, did I spot Gloria without her hat?

i know this might sound stupid, but who?

Ash took another back seat and Goh was the main focus, should have called on Snorlax buddy. Starting to think the rumor of Ash sun setting himself may be true after all.

yes an episode that is based around a fun competition that has no bearing on Ash's goal is evidence he needs to leave...

Given yesterday was thanksgiving (even if it's not celebrated over there) the timing of this episode makes it all the better.

plus kudos to all those who called the squirrel evolving.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
i know this might sound stupid, but who?
The Sword & Shield girl. Or, at least, someone very similar, next to the bellsprout:
DP171.jpg

nuzamaki90

Funny episode but man they could’ve not included Ash here and nothing would have changed. The Go focus is starting to become a little annoying. I would’ve rather just have this be a TR episode because Morpeko’s shenanigans were far more entertaining.

Mirage707

TPC simping for mobile cash shop money since 2016.
Goh should just enter the PWC at this point. Cinderace oneshot Leon's Charizard as the new overrated fire starter. The writers overprotect Goh and refuse to give him any adversity.

ShadowDragon16

Goh should just enter the PWC at this point. Cinderace oneshot Leon's Charizard as the new overrated fire starter. The writers overprotect Goh and refuse to give him any adversity.

Main Character Plot Armor is strong in Goh, maybe even stronger than Ash

ShadowDragon16

Starting to wonder whether or not we will see another PWC battle or anything because Ash really hasn’t done anything of substance since his capture of G Farfetch’d. Goh is catching all the Pokémon which pretty much outshines anything Ash has done in recent episodes.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I think one of the most interesting parts of this episode was seeing all of the Pokémon’s different styles such as Lickitung using its tongue to swallow everything hole, Bisharp slicing all of its food, Skwovet spitting out seeds with Bullet Seed and squeezing a Tomato Berry to make its food taste better, Glalie freezing hot meals, etc. To me, it feels like a fun little way to explore the pokémon world and show these creatures’ various eating habits.

Plus it was hilarious that Chrysa seemed to be fangirling over Blaziken because it acted like a sophisticated gentleman all throughout the eating contest

Last edited:

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Guys remember that Go is a new character.

Ash has been around for over 20 years.

Ash doesn't need time to develop.
(I admit His Pokémon on the other hand are a different story)
Development and actually getting to do something in the show in which he is one of the protagonists of are 2 different things. Just because an episode is filler doesn’t mean that it has to have Go in the driver’s seat especially since Ash has been shown in the past to be a part of events that happen in total filler episodes. And Go being a new character is no excuse considering that every new series has introduced a new character and the amount of focus has never been this skewed.

Red and Blue

A Hydreigon at a eating contest is so out of place yet hilarious at the same time.

Glad that Skwovet evolved. I said Greedent was underrated before so I'm happy Go got it in the end

Last edited:

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
The complaints about Ash getting a so called backseat is getting really petty and not even a complaint at this point, its now just childish whining. Ash has gotten enough over the past 20+ years now and barely has anything else to do. He’s gotten over 1100 episodes of screentime and some of you are whining that he hasn’t been getting anything? Get over it.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The Sword & Shield girl. Or, at least, someone very similar, next to the bellsprout:
DP171.jpg
Seems more like Gloria's Kantonian cousin (or aunt since she looks a little older)

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
Random Snorlax loses in the eating competition....K.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
The complaints about Ash getting a so called backseat is getting really petty and not even a complaint at this point, its now just childish whining. Ash has gotten enough over the past 20+ years now and barely has anything else to do. He’s gotten over 1100 episodes of screentime and some of you are whining that he hasn’t been getting anything? Get over it.
Satoshi’s character for the most part is static. Random heavy, developmental or emotional pertaining episodes simply suit a newer character more. He can’t really be utilized heavily outside of his goal because his character is already built and set. Battling and his Pokémon are Satoshi’s “development” for every series.

Another big thing is Gou being a catcher, people came into this series expecting Satoshi to catch a ton of new Pokemon and are upset when Gou gets these evolutions/catches but he doesn’t. They ignore how it’s inconsistent in writing for him to do that sort of thing. You can’t really give Satoshi scenes with being book smart and like with Sonia (I bring this up because people complained about lopsided focus in the SwSh arc.) without it being OOC.

Many essentially want Gou’s assets slapped on Satoshi so he can get more free focus like that. PM was advertised as Gou’s storyline as well and the episodes begin with that introduction of it being about both their lives. But Satoshi as a character is pretty much just battling. When they give him a Pokémon relationship struggle episode [PM30] like Gou’s it turns out terribly narratively because it requires the character around be written in an OOC manner. People even felt he wasn’t himself during the Saito arc.

It’s hard to do anything with the character because he’ll pretty fulfilled, Gou is definitely probably easier and enjoyable write for with it the restrictions I imagine. But what can you do other than write more blink-and-you-miss-em episodic PWC battles or more major battling episode? Especially when he doesn’t have many characters to bounce off for a storyline like how he got that lone episode with Kid!Kukui and thus was able to receive focus from that character connection? PM doesn’t have a lot of characters and for the most part aside from Riolu none of his Pokémon inject a storyline or struggle for him to receive focus via.

It’s like how last episode they brought back Mewtwo but at the same time seemed afraid to really do anything with Mewtwo, it’s time as a guardian in this episode could have been fulfilled by any high level Boss Pokémon. There was no storyline and it was given a very safe and generic portrayal and episodic adventure. (Understandable given the history surrounding the character. Even then that was mostly Gou narratively because what do you do with Satoshi aside from obv. battle?) It’s hard to write fresh and new storylines, emotions and struggles for legacy characters while maintaining 100% consistence with their past actions and core selves.

This is why not giving more focus and substance to Gengar’s abandonment, trust issues and capture along with maybe providing more of a story and growth for Kairyu’s flying issues and strength always seemed boring to me and “easy.” Pokémon can be caught fully evolved and have storylines (Iris’s disobedient Kairyu, Hikari’s cooperation with Togekiss) true but the writers don’t seem interested in taking that route.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
He’s gotten over 1100 episodes of screentime and some of you are whining that he hasn’t been getting anything? Get over it.
I guess, when looked at it that way, it only makes Ash look like he has overstayed his welcome (something fierce, really). It does not help that he is the most inconsistently written character.

But since Ash is apparently almost different in every saga, it doesn't help him much in this saga because Goh keeps growing as a character, while Ash is stuck grooming Pikachu and Lucario (what's a Gengar?) without dealing with character flaws himself. (A real flaw Ash could totally deal with is his utter favoritism on Pikachu and Lucario nabbing the big fights over the rest of the team lately, but alas, not even Goh can tell that, the number of big fights are low, and the closest we came to a flaw like that was when Pikachu tossed a fit...and all that episode was a real mess.)

As things stand, in a saga that is shy on battles that Ash lives for, Goh is the real main character due to being somehow far more out-Goh-ing than Ash, while Ash is Arnold Shortman (during his messiah archetype phase before the jungle movie rectified him).

I personally will not think fondly of Journeys Ash because the writers are clearly turning him into the biggest marketing tool to ever grace the franchise, at least during the first 50 episodes that tried to sell people on the hype that is catching not one, not two, but three popular Pokemon (two of which got screwed over the jackal) and completely veered things off with the Galar stuff. In this regard, I like SM Ash better because he did bother to fool around with all his Pokemon (ignoring the fact SM Ash was done dirty in amount of battles). He truly is starting to look like a bad fan fiction character.

Which leaves me with Goh...who...is just as polarizing despite his shorter tenure. Let's be real, the kid's got it made. Even if he doesn't catch Mew, he will no doubt be far more successful than Ash and his silly unexplained dream.

Thank goodness Chloe exists...but I so do hope that Eevee does not end up turning her into another obvious marketing tool for girls.

Last edited:

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
This episode did exactly what it set out to do. Nothing more, nothing less.
unknown.png
Sure, Ash has had an overabundance of spotlight in the 1100+ episodes of this show, but this show isn't one cohesive story. Wouldn't it make sense to, you know, treat the co-protagonists with equal importance. In the first 47 episodes of what's basically a ~145 episode show, where is this Ash spotlight you speak about? Why can't Ash do something as simple as using a Pokemon other than the jackal or rat, or a Pokemon for something other than a battle when Goh can pull anything out of a hat whenever he needs. Goh finds his way into every plot episode, and even the fillers goh to Goh.