• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Champion! The Battle of Big Eaters!! (1136)

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
You literally don't understand.

What if this is Ash's last series and even further he gets replaced by Go?

Would you care then?

Probably not because he's had over a 1000 episodes, right, this in you mind is the best reprentative of the end of Ash.

Look I don't give two craps this was a Go episode it was never going be good for Ash anyway but don't act as if Ash not getting is fair or reasonable just because he's had 1000 episdes especially when the large percentage of those episodes is irrelevant. But then you give Pikachu a free pass to get a lot of screen time.

But not Ash or the Pikemon he catches this generation because god forbid an episode not focus on Go.

Has these forums become that bias that we've reached the point where to hell with Ash and his focus and Go needs to be put on the focus pedestal simply because has had 1000 episodes but not Go?

Sure Go deserves focus but Ash deserved more than he's getting.

Don't come crying to me when the next PWC is against Bea and in the hyper class after all Ash has had 1000 episodez we definitely don't need to see his progress. Then after he can beat Raihan and then Leon and well that's the end of Ash. Don't worry he's had 1000 episodes no need to give him any more focus.
Ash getting replaced? Hah, not in a fking million years buddy. He’s gotten iconic to the point that replacing him would just be more detrimental to them than doing so since that’ll just drop most of their marketing revenue which is what Ash serves as now lmao.

ShadowForce720

Ash getting replaced? Hah, not in a fking million years buddy. He’s gotten iconic to the point that replacing him would just be more detrimental to them than doing so since that’ll just drop most of their marketing revenue which is what Ash serves as now lmao.

Actually not really, sure there would be some drop in specific merchandise sales, however the drop wouldn’t be as significant as your trying to make it sound.

When it comes to general merchandise sales for Pokémon in general the amount of merchandise that related to Ash is a very small portion of the actual Pokémon merchandise. The vast majority of the Pokémon merchandise isn’t actually tied to Ash.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
What if this is Ash's last series and even further he gets replaced by Go?
From a marketing perspective, it makes no sense for Ash to get replaced by Go. Why the hell would you make a character designed to be a foil to the last character and then boot the last character? That's like breaking the leg of a perfectly good three-legged stool and then expecting it to be easier to sit on.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
I'm disappointed with the random PWC matches so far, but the focus doesn't seem as skewed as people have been implying.

The fact that they slide in a 2 second capture into the random COTD and POTD episodes don't make them Goh focused.

Goh's goal is just easier to slip into the 'filler' episodes, I thought people were unhappy with the Koromi style fights?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I know it wasn't intentional but I loved how the Torchic felt like references to Peeps, especially after finding out they were a Japanese dessert called manju. I also liked how the prize for winning the eating contest was a trip to Unova, so it actually ties into the next episode and explains why they're going to Castelia City in the first place.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm disappointed with the random PWC matches so far, but the focus doesn't seem as skewed as people have been implying.

The fact that they slide in a 2 second capture into the random COTD and POTD episodes don't make them Goh focused.

Goh's goal is just easier to slip into the 'filler' episodes, I thought people were unhappy with the Koromi style fights?
The difference is the short battles don't do much for Ash in the big picture because they're seriously not that important and seriously lack depth. You could remove those and still have him battle the big fights (which are just...Visquez, Korrina, and Bea's two fights). It does not help Pikachu has been taking them all so the experience is wasted.

But Goh's flimsy, easy captures do benefit him a whole lot because he's never going to lose those Pokemon and actually fulfill his believable goal (moreso than any other previous companion who came up short in the end). This episode, despite looking like filler, somehow ended up helping him in getting a Greedent.

dman_dustin

Last I checked Rica isn't immortal nor do I think retirement is off the table, maybe she recently said "hell no" to retirement that I'm not aware of but there's lots of variables to consider.

For one thing is beating Leon, or not beating Leon, I really can't see any future with Ash in any post Leon capacity that makes any sense without ruining his character.

And let's say they don't, same problem as this generation as future generations.....Ash will continue to get screwed over just because he's bern in 1000s of episodes in favor of someone else. Why would I care about a new character when for once I want Ash to be treated fairly throughout the entire series?
, I thought people were unhappy with the Koromi style fights?

Had Ash used anything other than Pikachu and potentially Riolu, no one would've had a problem with the battle.

Remix2

so is it safe to say that we might get a new opening soon given there no new stuff in the current one?

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Wouldn't we have more than 2 weeks notice? I can't remember how early opening 2 was announced.
It was technically out of nowhere. It was announced a short while before PM2019 032 was set to air (which was the only thing most people watched the episode for lmao)

Last edited by a moderator:

dman_dustin

i didn't come into this episode expecting Ash to do much anyway, but geez i did not expect this reaction in here

I only became incensed when it was suggested Ash doesn't deserve better because he's been in 1000 episodes,
I otherwise don't care this is a Go episode since as I said nothing was going to benefit Ash anyway even if it did focus on him.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I'm glad that Goh got the focus in this episode, but I'm mixed with this whole food competition thing, among all the competition/activity focused episodes, mainly because I don't like to waste food and would most likely share with others. Sure, I went to buffets before but they're not the same thing. So yeah, ok episode overall.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Hoshigarisu was adorable as usual, and I'm going to miss him since I don't think Yokubarisu is as appealing. Not that I necessarily mind that it evolved: I just hope this means we'll see Yokubarisu more often.

dman_dustin said:
Sure Go deserves focus but Ash deserved more than he's getting.

Normally I would entertain the thought that Satoshi could use more screen-time to work on his goal, but you said so yourself that this episode wouldn't have been good for Satoshi anyway since it involved a silly eating contest rather than something he could gain experience from. So I'm really struggling to understand your point about Satoshi not having enough to do if nothing would've changed even if he'd been the star of the episode in place of Gou.

Crybaby Sobble

S = Sarunori = Satoshi
Unpopular opinion: Though I am not a big fan of Chloe and the others,can we shift the focus to Chloe instead of the redundant screentime of Goh? I think this will be helpful if the writers don't care about Ash screentime.
Just leave Goh and give Chloe ,the assistant and the professor screentime they deserve.

dman_dustin

.So I'm really struggling to understand your point about Satoshi not having enough to do if nothing would've changed even if he'd been the star of the episode in place of Gou.

And I have a hard time understanding why people don't realize I would mean rewriting the entire episode's plot to be about Ash or rather his Pokemon and battling and no it doesn't have to be this one.

I'm not sure why the perspective / context should strictly be limited to the general premise of the episode.

Hypothetically its not about a big eating competition it becomes an episode about Farfetch'd losing to Lucario and Ash realizing he's been slacking and trains Farfetch'd, it learns a new move, and then the episode ends with a PWC match with Farfetch'd winning and Ash ranks up (hypothetically speaking)

I fail to see the point of trying to fit the episode's premise around Ash for arguement's sake. If redirecting the episode's focus is as pointless and in vain as rewriting the entire plot of the episode since the episode is "set in stone" I'd obviously choose to argue what offers the most benefit.

In other words "Ash deserves more focus" was strictly a general point not explicitly in an episode that doesn't matter, though I do wonder as to what prevented the writer to allow Ash to get further but still lose to Go, did they want to add stakes or express Dragonite is a light eater.....for some reason.

So again in context of "set in stone" I had no problem with Go's focus of winning the food competition. But on the general scale this episode or some other episode should've been completely replaced with an Ash episode obviously not about an eating competition or whatever plot that episode is but actually focused on Ash and hus Pokemon.

Unpopular opinion: Though I am not a big fan of Chloe and the others,can we shift the focus to Chloe instead of the redundant screentime of Goh? I think this will be helpful if the writers don't care about Ash screentime.
Just leave Goh and give Chloe ,the assistant and the professor screentime they deserve.

I'm not against Koharu getting focus but we know darn well they'll just further take the focus from Ash, with Go getting maybe 1 less episode.

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
Am I the only one who realized that Ash's snorlax most likely wouldn't work for this contest. It's either battling, eating or sleeping after eating literally everything in one go. That's its mo. A contest like this would likely be chaotic if it entered.

As for the episode itself. I didn't think I'd get invested in it but I genuinely did. I enjoyed this episode far more than I thought I would. Pokemon "filler" tends to be a case by case basis on whether I enjoy them. It usually depends on whether I can find a catalyst to properly enjoy the episode. My catalyst for this one was definitely Dragonite. I don't know what to tell you, I just love Ash's Dragonite. It goes beyond being my favorite Pokemon too. Ash's Dragonite has been a joy to watch in every instance I can think of. Whether it comes from it's endearing personality, it's strength in battling, or just being a Dragonite, I can help but enjoy an episode that much more because of it being in it. That's not the only reason I enjoyed this episode though. Watching everyone be needlessly hype over this eating contest, *and by that I mean the assistant being needlessly hype over this eating contest* was a joy. Watching the way every pokemon eats was a joy. Watching Bisharp reveal that it does in fact, have a mouth, was a joy. Watching a Skwovet out eat a Dragonite though sheer force of plot was a joy. Watching the needlessly strategic minds for an eating contest was a joy. Watching Blaziken reacting to the Torchic treats was a joy and watching the most random evolution of any Main character mon I've ever seen was a joy. Overall this episode was a joy. I liked this episode.

Koharu: I never thought I'd get invested in an eating contest
Me: I never thought I get invested in this episode but here we are.

BobbbidyBob

Plus Ash can’t leave until he gets a birthday episode. Come on already!

BobbbidyBob

Am I the only one who realized that Ash's snorlax most likely wouldn't work for this contest. It's either battling, eating or sleeping after eating literally everything in one go. That's its mo. A contest like this would likely be chaotic if it entered.

As for the episode itself. I didn't think I'd get invested in it but I genuinely did. I enjoyed this episode far more than I thought I would. Pokemon "filler" tends to be a case by case basis on whether I enjoy them. It usually depends on whether I can find a catalyst to properly enjoy the episode. My catalyst for this one was definitely Dragonite. I don't know what to tell you, I just love Ash's Dragonite. It goes beyond being my favorite Pokemon too. Ash's Dragonite has been a joy to watch in every instance I can think of. Whether it comes from it's endearing personality, it's strength in battling, or just being a Dragonite, I can help but enjoy an episode that much more because of it being in it. That's not the only reason I enjoyed this episode though. Watching everyone be needlessly hype over this eating contest, *and by that I mean the assistant being needlessly hype over this eating contest* was a joy. Watching the way every pokemon eats was a joy. Watching Bisharp reveal that it does in fact, have a mouth, was a joy. Watching a Skwovet out eat a Dragonite though sheer force of plot was a joy. Watching the needlessly strategic minds for an eating contest was a joy. Watching Blaziken reacting to the Torchic treats was a joy and watching the most random evolution of any Main character mon I've ever seen was a joy. Overall this episode was a joy. I liked this episode.

Koharu: I never thought I'd get invested in an eating contest
Me: I never thought I get invested in this episode but here we are.
I can’t believe this episode turned out to be much better than the Mewtwo episode XD