• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon - Chronicles

The Misty one's were the best because she got focus and development. We need more chronicles to update us on how these characters are doing.

True! Sure, I'd prefer Misty to come back in the "main anime", but her episodes here are also nice. It's better than nothing. And I also liked Chronicles: seeing, for example, Sakura, Casey, Ritchie and Tracey was nice. I hope there will be new Chronicles episodes in the future, preferably with Misty. "A Date With Delcatty" is my favourite Chronicles episode.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
Chronicals were a waist of time. The only one I thought made sense to be a chronical was Legend of Thunder because we never saw the actual characters before. We didn't need to see Casey or Sakura again, and Richie, Oh my God!
Another thing is that why they stopped them after Brock's silly family and then waited all the way to the end of Sinnoh to make another one? Damn!

I thought that chronicles was awesome and I loved every bit of it especially the team rocket centric episodes 4/5.

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
Chronicles was fantastic! It felt so purely for the fans as we were getting more of the side characters we loved and, while the show progressed for new generations of viewers, the old timers still got to get a little taste of soon to be forgotten friends.

A new Chronicles series would be super great! How awesome would it be to get to see all the newer friends who have been forgotten again? There are so many fun stories that could be told!

All in all, Chronicles was really helpful in transitioning from the original series to the new series, and was so full of heart. Really touching and probably a better group of episodes than anything in AG so far!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Pretty interesting side series, though I hated how much focus Team Rocket got in this. The Misty episodes were decent, as well as the Legend of Thunder 3 parter, but I didn't really care much for that episodes with Ritchie and some of the other recurring characters. The battles weren't nothing special to write about either. I'd rate this 6/10

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I honestly don't know what to think of Chronicles. It's a great idea to have side-stories on secondary characters that we don't get in the main series, and it would've been nice if they had kept this going in later seasons. However, what was good about the series tended to be overshadowed a bit by the bad, and that nearly ruins Chronicles for me. It shouldn't be one of the negative reasons, but the dub is just awful here, and it's distracting. It's odd how 4KIDS slipped on this one—it's probably understandable given the circumstances at the time, but I can't think of anything of the dub of the main Pokémon was terribly written. (But I have of yet to check out the Hoenn episodes at this time. There probably was a difference between Johto and Hoenn in that regard.) Even the voice-acting was a step down from the main series, but I've complained about that before, so I'm not going back into it.

Another thing I didn't like was that the stories—the meat and potatoes of the series—sometimes fell short of the potential they set up in the beginning. The only real good ones I personally liked was “A Family That Battles Together, Stays Together” and "Legend of Thunder", and possibly “Training Daze” for delving more into Team Rocket's past, but I feel like that one retconned something or whatnot. The one episode that made me mad and has to be my least favorite was “Celebi & Joy” for the way it handled changing the past and changing the future without any negative repercussions (never mind the fact Celebi itself barely appears). It apparently only changed the future for that one town, but how do we know the rest of the world hadn't been changed, particularly with Ritchie himself? Time travel is hard to write correctly, I get it, especially for a twenty-minute episode, it's just pretty bad when Pokémon 4Ever did time travel better even though it's one of the weaker movies. (This is more nitpicky than anything else, considering time restraints may have been the biggest issues.) Really, some of the things that were shown to have changed in the future didn't make sense to me. How do we know Nick would've ended up being mayor had he lived? Who was the mayor to begin with before the change? Why didn't he make an appearance, even if only for a scene so we could feel more satisfied with the changes? Why bother to save/renovate an old Pokémon Center? What, the original mayor wasn't going to bother building a new one in its place? Why villainize a character we know zilch about?

Other than that, the other episodes were either missed opportunities (“The Blue Badge of Courage”), boring (“Those Darn Electabuzz!”), or forgettable (“A Date with Delcatty”).

Still, despite all of its problems, I cannot deny that Chronicles was a fresh entry even if the debate of it being canon or not seems to be a thing in the fandom. While Ash was never a main character in this series, his absence didn't take away from the rest of the cast that were featured, giving them a chance to stand on their own. Some of the characters had more screentime than others (whether they really needed it or not), but while some of the characters I personally didn't care for, they pleased other people, and that makes Chronicles a personal preference than anything. The characters kind of had development in some areas, but most of the time they were the same as when we first met them—Ritchie and Casey being the worst offenders to me, not counting Butch and Cassidy who were actually regressed as characters to fit Jessie, James and Meowth's roles. I don't think anyone really “grew”, to be frank.

Do I regret watching the series? Well, it's not a rewatchable series in my opinion, just something there on the side in case you're curious enough to take a look before moving on. And because it's more of an optional series and not so much a “must see”, it's kind of a waste of time with some of the episodes nearly intolerable to watch dubbed. As a Pokémon fan, however, I would like to see as much of the anime as possible, even if only to say I have seen it. It didn't take away anything, but it didn't really add much either. And that is more disappointing to me than it is frustrating.

Last edited:

JudySpell

Banned
Chronicles gave me chronic headaches. Only a few episodes were even worth the 22 minutes of viewing while the rest were down right redundant. 4/10

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
No one else needs an update though, except perhaps Casey. It's just that she and the other Chronicles characters are no longer relevant.

Uh, there's Sakura, who showed up to challenge Misty's Gym in one of these specials. She deserved a few more specials tbh.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I felt that Kasumi received more screen-time in the Hoso specials than she did during most of the Jouto saga, which says a lot. These side story episodes were decent in general, and other than the episodes that were set at the Hanada Gym, my favorite episodes were the ones involving Yamato and Kosaburou. The episode that took place at Mt. Tomoshibi in particular was fantastic.

MockingJ

Banned
I didn't like most of them honestly. Some were okay like the Team Rocket origin special since we needed to know after all this time how they all met and the One Island episode with Ritchie was pretty cool too. But the ones that focused on Brock, Tracey, Misty and Gary didn't interest me. Gary's Aerodactyl special was especially annoying because that's when he officially became a researcher and lost his arrogant attitude that had made him so special from the start of the series.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
Some were okay like the Team Rocket origin special since we needed to know after all this time how they all met

I actually disliked the Rocket-dan episode since it seemed to contradict some of the previously known information about how Musashi and Kojirou had originally met, which irked me since I dislike it when the writers retcon certain things to meet their needs.