• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon comics--so much more than just Special

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Oh man, I love what he did for the first movie. I like that backstory way better than the one in the actual film.

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
Well, I didn't understand the manga because it's in Japanese, so I don't really have any feelings for it other then Ono's art is very pretty but I swear to god some panels were like [URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.HighOctaneNightmareFuel]High Octane Nightmare Fuel [/URL]

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Ono's comic was in English as well.

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
The 1st movie manga drawn by Ono? I'm pretty sure it's only in Japanese (though, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Ohhh, I thought you meant Dengeki Pikachu.

I don't know why they got some random moron who can't draw and has no sense of storytelling for 2-5.

E-Hero Winged Kuriboh

It was such a shame Dengeki Pikachu didn't run for longer... It really was very well done.

Honestly, Pokespecial is completely over-rated when compared to the other Pokemon manga.

Opal Pikachu13

I also liked Electric Tale of Pikachu/Dengeki Pikachu as well. I wish it would've still went on a little more. It was so much different than the anime was. I also liked the Giratina and the Sky Warrior manga adaptation.

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
I also liked the Giratina and the Sky Warrior manga adaptation.

Finally, someone else who actually enjoyed that! I've never read The Electric Tale of Pikachu or any of the other manga mentioned in this thread (past DPA and Special) so I cannot contribute to the conversation further. :C

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
DPA! had the first and really only scene in this franchise that really and truly SCARED me.

oh? I haven't gotten around to that manga, but do spoil me. ^^ Or at least tell me what chapter I can expect it if you don't wanna ruin it so badly.

sure the main character is a giant Mary Sue, but he's an ENJOYABLE one, something neither Ruby nor Ash can accomplish. You BELIEVE that he's capable of such feats and it never seems like a deus ex.

now this I gotta see. And while I wouldn't argue with the idea of a "justified Mary Sue" (you ever see Noein?), shouldn't "badass" be more appropriate for someone who performs extraordinary feats but is an extraordinary enough of a person themselves that it seems perfectly believable.

It was such a shame Dengeki Pikachu didn't run for longer... It really was very well done.

I forget what I heard exactly, but I think there was some executive meddling involved and something about the US censoring (in spite of the fact that he toned the female anatomy down immensely in consideration of the foreign standards for his last few chapters).

And I've found PokeSpecial to be the best, as it actually gives me a valid second viewpoint of the pokemon world.

what, and all the other manga don't? You know, another reason I love Dengeki! Pikachu so much is that it's probably the most realistic representation of the Pokemon franchise out there, both in art-style and overall portrayal of locations and cultures.

He just doesn't like Pokemon Special as much as Diamond/Pearl Adventures because of those reasons I highly doubt anything in the emerald arc would change that. (because IMO if anything the series just get's progressively wore in the sense that it gets increasingly generic with each passing arc...but that's just me)

tell me about it. As I quoted Blackjack mentioning earlier, Ruby's character was fucking horrible, and the ending to the Ruby/Sapphire arc in general was pretty crappy (I thought the Fire Red/Leaf Green adaption that followed was good, though). Also, despite how much people would like to believe, Special IS a blatant advertisement just as much as the anime is. Sure, it doesn't go some episodic route and go out of its way to showcase a single monster for an entire 20 minutes, but it still goes out of its way to showcase stuff at the risk of actually getting down to tell a story. Hell, Coronis has already made a thread listing when every attack makes an appearance, and there seem to be several moments where characters bring up a feature from the games just for the hell of it. The other manga don't seem quite as riddled with this type of marketing, and if they do go out of their way to mention something from the games while not directly benefiting the story, it comes off as being done in more of a way that it seems like the writer just wanted to present their own unique take on the subject (ex. Ono's mention of trainer's leaves or that Moon Stones have a high amount of nickel).

Yeah, same here, but at the same time I can't help but also wonder if he kept going with the series that it would eventually have gotten continually watered down (as series tend to do over time). I saw scans that he drew of the first movie manga and misty had a NORMAL bathing suit and chest size so somewhere along the line his drawing became less and less hentai-esque (Aside from Pokemon and the Crest of the Stars series he actually draws hentai under a pen name for the "anal justice" series...I'd rather not ask.).

I just looked that up. Apparently, his pen name is Sanpei Kamirenjaku, and not only did he do hentai, but he even made a Musashi/Kojirou doujinshi. Yeah, hentai featuring characters the same way they were drawn in an official Pokemon product, imagine that.

Last edited:

ray243

I think the primary reason people follow Pokespe is because it has an ongoing and progressive storyline that no manga manage to offer.

Some manga series were either discontinued half-way, or ended its storyline years ago.

It's hard to discuss other manga series when there is nothing left for people to discuss.

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
It's hard to discuss other manga series when there is nothing left for people to discuss.

That's just a bunch of BS.
Just because a series ended doesn't mean that everything that could have possibly been discussed has, especially when you consider that 4 series (out of how many released in Japan?) have been released in the US, and people seem to think only one of them is worth discussing anything therefore people havn't even really begun to discuss the other 3.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
And heck, DPA only JUST ended with this month's CoroCoro (and the ending sounds ultimately unsatisfying, but at least it GETS an ending, which is more than I can say for Golden Boys), so the rest of the world won't get it for at least another year.

Anyway, Yamato-San. The scene that terrified me in DPA was when Hareta confronts Cyrus on the bridge outside Celestic. You'll know EXACTLY what part I'm talking about when you read it. It lasts for two pages, one panel in particular, and I damn near crapped myself when I saw it.

Also I doubt that foreign editing would be any cause for Ono to quit, but there's the fact that his art was edited even *in* Japan, from the CoroCoro versions to the bound volumes.

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
and there seem to be several moments where characters bring up a feature from the games just for the hell of it.

Green (english version Blue) "press the B button to stop your pokemon from evolving" IMMEDIATELY comes to mind because it is very out of place to have a feature like that in any poke-verse that isn't the games (also I don't think it is brought up again after that either). It makes me wonder if the pokedex also has a GPS system that uses a small overworld picture of you to help navigate through routes and cities...

I just looked that up. Apparently, his pen name is Sanpei Kamirenjaku, and not only did he do hentai, but he even made a Musashi/Kojirou doujinshi. Yeah, hentai featuring characters the same way they were drawn in an official Pokemon product, imagine that.

...well, at least we know now how Jessie got pregnant by the end of the series.
and I wish there was a way I could get my hands on that, even though I normally hate hentai doujinshi\

Edit: okay...through the magic powers of internet I saw some scans of said doujinshi... and it is also has a little bit of Jessie/Misty aka Musashi/Kasumi thrown in there... though, I find all hentai I look at to be more disturbing then anything else

Last edited:

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
I think the primary reason people follow Pokespe is because it has an ongoing and progressive storyline that no manga manage to offer.

Some manga series were either discontinued half-way, or ended its storyline years ago.

That's not the only reason pokemon manga (I mean every manga including pokemon special, DP aventures ect.) are not selled in every country so people like me have to read it on the internet and I have only found manga of pokemon special on the internet. I think it's for other people the same so it's immposible to disscus a pokemon manga that some people haven't read. That's one of the main reasons it's possible that a lot off members here have only read pokemon special. (I'm not sure of this)

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
That's not the only reason pokemon manga (I mean every manga including pokemon special, DP aventures ect.) are not selled in every country so people like me have to read it on the internet and I have only found manga of pokemon special on the internet. I think it's for other people the same so it's immposible to disscus a pokemon manga that some people haven't read. That's one of the main reasons it's possible that a lot off members here have only read pokemon special. (I'm not sure of this)

That's not true at all. The "some people" who havn't read that manga will just not be discussing that particular series. Or they could read the thread and actually find a new series that they also may enjoy.

As for actually buying the series, Ebay has people from singapore (where a lot of the manga is translated into english) who will ship internationally so you CAN buy the manga. There is also Amazon.com (I only live in the US, so I'm not sure if it still works for other countries) unless it is a Japan-only series, or you cannot afford to import/aren't allowed to buy online, there is no excuse.

Even theoretically speaking if that was taken out of the equation and you decided to harm the industry by only reading your manga online, I've found more series scanned then just Pokemon Special online as well. (not counting pokesupe I have found scans of 4 different pokemon manga series)

It is safe to say that most of the members here are from the US, and if you are from the US there are currently 2 series being published: Pokemon Adventures and Diamond and Pearl Adventures, 2 series that were published but are now out of print Magical Pokemon Journies and The Electric Tale of Pikachu, two manga movie adaptations for the manaphy movie and the darkrai movie, and ginji's rescue team which is a one-volume adaptation of the mystery dungeon games. While your discussion is kind of limited when discussing things that only lasted a volume or are just manga versions of the movies with some changes here or there, there really is no reason why not to discuss the 3 other series. And hey, if you live in Singapore there are so many series being translated that it's not even funny.

So really, the short version of this is that even if you live in another country, there are still many ways to get a hold of a series that isn't pomon special so ignorance is no excuse.

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
Wow, I never knew Ono did a Mewtwo manga. Did he do more than the first half of the movie?

I'd love to have some re-releases of the other licenced Pokemon manga (namely Magical Pokemon Journey and Pikachu Shocks back...or whatever they called it). I love both series, but would much rather read them in graphic novel forms rather than read a chapter or two at a time. Plus, you know, it would be nice to see MPJ finished outside of Singapore.

ray243

The additional problem is, there are very few translation of Pokemon manga. Even the pace and speed of people who are translating and posting all those scans online are relatively few.

Take Naruto for example, where you have tons of people who are scanlating it at a rapid pace, thus resulting in many fans discussing about that series.

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
Viz has combined it in graphic novel format. That link just shows Electric Pikachu volume (containing the first 4 comics), but they Electric Pikachu Boogaloo, Surf's Up Pikachu, and Pikachu Shocks Back stories are collected in additional vols. If you did not see them in stores (they aren't v. common) I hope you are able to order them from amazon link. ^__^
tbh the reason I don't discuss the non-Special mangas so much is that I forget to! Special gets new topic ea month w/ scans & summaries, this keeps it fresh in my mind. While topics for the other series DO get spotlight periodicaly they also fall off the front page alot. Out of sight, out of mind sadly.
But I do think there is more to say abt DPA, Ono's mag, MPJ, etc. It is just a matter of talking the time to post and to listen and we all seem to be doing more of that lately. Its still a less-active subforum than the anime or games section but little by little we are gaining in numbers. Go pokemanga fans!

Last edited:

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
Yeah, too bad all 4 volumes are about $200 if you want to buy them all new ^_^; (oh well, once I get a job I'll budget my money anyways and eventually I'll have $200 to spend on that kind of stuff anyways)

And you know, I wish people didn't feel as though they needed scans. Responsible fans should buy the manga and support the industry otherwise in the future if you wanted to read any manga you'd have to take a flight over to asia >__> I mean seriously, I became a fan of pokemon special and started to "discuss" it after reading online summaries, before I even saw a single page of the manga. I suspect that the same would be true for other manga's if there were other websites like serebii giving them that kind of attention.

Last edited: