• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Contests Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Two questions for you.
1.Does being shiny make any difference in contests? I have a friend with a shiny Lucario that I can't seem to beat. I'm not sure if he's just too good or if that makes a difference.
2.What's better, mega evolution or the appropriate scarf? I thought scarf at first but I'm leaning to mega evolution now.

P.S.
Fonzi? That's amazing, you sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

1. Shininess has no effect in contests. It's all about stat condition, and your luck with appeals.
2. Mega Evolution needs the audience at full excitement in order to use it, so I think it's not really that practical. Also, you have no control over your opponents, therefore luck plays a factor on this as well. So I use scarves.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Lisia and Ali may just be the most frustrating duo I've ever fought in this franchise.

It's almost as if the audience is literally programmed to be bias towards her Altaria almost all the time. And the worst part about them is without a doubt their mega evolution, I swear there's no way to win if it mega evolves (if I'm wrong correct me but I'm positive you can't win).

But I eventually got lucky and won after multiple retries, and I was really just doing this for s**** and giggles so I wouldn't have minded it much had I rage quitted.

Overall contest are fun. Master Rank contests for the most part are a complete joke if you have the proper scarf and max conditions but I guess that's to be expected.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Lisia and Ali may just be the most frustrating duo I've ever fought in this franchise.

Pretty much agree. The developers had meant to make the audience so called 'biased' towards Lisia because she was meant to be a popular Contest star. Anyways eventually beat her because I was lucky.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Oh Lord, I don't even bother with Lisia anymore. There was just too much hax in her Contests and I gave up trying to win with such a rigged setting.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I found the contests too difficult to do even with the scarf and max conditions. I at least won one master rank which was coolness.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I found the contests too difficult to do even with the scarf and max conditions. I at least won one master rank which was coolness.

I didn't find them really difficult before Lisia even if it was Master rank.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I at least won one master rank which was coolness.

I feel like a flop: I've only won two Master Rank Contests, and I had to use Pokemon with max Contest stats that I got via trades. I suck at Contests. :c

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I feel like a flop: I've only won two Master Rank Contests, and I had to use Pokemon with max Contest stats that I got via trades. I suck at Contests. :c

Wait, did you use the Contest scarves? They might give your Pokémon a boost in the Contests.

Volcaronick

My Master Ranks:

Coolness: Swellow
Cleverness: Dustox
Toughness: Blaziken
Beauty: Blaziken
Cuteness: Pikachu

And today I beat Lisia and Ali in the Beauty Master Rank with Blaziken!!

Paramedic

Just one my first Cool contest (normal rank) with Cosplay Pikachu ;). Just got OR since yesterday.

Won my first Master Rank with Hoopa in Cleverness! Won all contest in a row!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update some more info :). Before I start I hope Duzzeno got the answer to your question and thanks for the Fonzi like :181: Mr. Reloaded I like the Meowstic avatar. My first Master Rank pokemon jus shiny.

I went on the win the Beauty Masterclass with Cherrim in her alternate forme after using Sunny Day :). I feel like she comes out in her robe. The crowd is cheering because I plant so any berries and her stats are maxed. Then Sunny day hits and the robe comes off, she is ready to put on a show ! I tried capturig some pictures after a combo and the crowd is maxed but it just doesn't do any justice to how cool it is IMO.

I want to use my Shiny Bellosom next but grass types best combos are for beauty. I am finding egg moves are good to have for contest too. Especially if your trying a different contest than the one best suited for the pokemon. Whew Breeding egg moves for contests who would have thought ?! Lol

Really wanting to take Meowstic all the way. Idk if she has the Moveset to compete with Mega Altaria tho. Gonna put up all Masterclass first so each portrait is different in the Contest Hall.

keepitsimple

site of lies
I'm doing a contest and I hate how the background of the contest is the inside of my apartment wherever the 3DS is pointing. How do I stop that crap from happening?

AlaCritical Hit

Brother my brother
Beat all the AS Master-Ranks and Lisia with a Gallade who has Ice Punch from Emerald :) I'm now challenging OR with a Swanna, who doesn't have a Mega unfortunately but is a good match for beauty for Altaria IMO.

I found out that in ORAS contests getting the right kind of move at the right time is more important than strictly what moves a Pokemon has. I think any Pokemon can win all Masters as long as they can learn moves of all five conditions.

That said, I always plan out my contest moves as: 2 moves that will excite the audience, 1 neutral move, and 1 move that will remove an excitement. That way I can control my chances of landing a Spectacular Talent. You need two moves that excite just in case you have used one of them on the previous turn.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm doing a contest and I hate how the background of the contest is the inside of my apartment wherever the 3DS is pointing. How do I stop that crap from happening?

Ask the guy next to the receptionist ladies in a Contest Lobby and ask him then select No, which turns off the effect of using the camera.

Rio!

Composer
I used to really hate contests, but since I've actually figured out what works best, I have a lot of fun earning those Master Ranks now. I'm working on getting all the pokemon I plan on using competitively now just for that.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
I cannot seem to beat any more master ranks since my Delcatty was a Skitty in the Cute Contest. It's frustrating, but fun trying to figure out good combinations. Even my Ninetails isn't beautiful enough for the Master Rank Beauty Contest. I use the scarves. The appropriate blocks have been fed. Is there some sort of specific strategy I should be using? I use to do contest all of the time and stopped doing them after I won the Master Rank Cute with Skitty. Even back when Contest first were introduced it seemed so easy. :/ Am I missing something? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jersey Jimmy

¿dónde está el FOUR DOLLA TUBA?
Alright, so I've just beaten Wallace and I already have two Master Ranks done - Clever with Alakazam and Cool with Blaziken. First of all, Mighty the Mightyena can bite me. Second, the Fire-type Spectacular Talent is incredible-looking, and to get that after Blaziken Mega Evolves was actually a bit more than I anticipated.

Last-in-order Flare Blitz for the win!

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
Man, I really hope they do more with contests in the next gens. And I don't mean like what they did in Gen IV - I didn't really like those as much as the Gen III contests. I think it'd be kinda cool to have more contest-centric characters, too - I really like what they did with ORAS in contrast to RSE's version. Man... could you imagine if they started getting more involved in the story, too? I loved what the gym leaders did in Gen V, imagine if we have a full fledged cast of contest personalities that were just as involved? It's definitely something that I seem to see more potential in than gamefreak does - I just hope they start putting more effort into paths other than just the path to the Champion...

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I just got back into Contests in ORAS again. I used my shiny Altaria and she now has fairly high Beauty condition, no value in the other conditions. She has Mist, Round, Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor and holding the Altarianite. And with her, I blitzed Normal, Super and Hyper Ranks in Beauty Contests and in the future, planning to use her in Master Rank Beauty Contests. And hoping that it could beat Ali and Wallace's Milotic with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.