• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Contests Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
Speaking about ribbons... have anybody gotten any yet? I was so dissapointes they consolidated all my pokemon ribbons into one (my gyarados had near 40 in total) so I'm suppose we're getting the exact same design for contest ribbons again or otherwise they wouldn't have done that. That's a pity tho, having some exciting and cool designs like the anime would have been cool.

PKMNOriginsRed

Pokemon Trainer
Really looking forward to using my Mew, Pikachu and Mega Charizard X in contests :D

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Oh god I think I have my pickup linoone with won 3 master contest in 3rd and 4th Gen... I have no idea of how many ribbons that little fellow has...

Rakurai

Did they actually bother revamping how contest stats work, or is it still a bad idea to make Pokeblocks if you don't have top quality berries and/or other players to make them with?

Arcanineblitz

How do you make pokeblock? I cant seem to find a blender or anything in the contest hall

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I hate how the Cosplay Pikachu is automatically given to you and sent to your box right after you exit the dressing room >_<

I forgot to save beforehand, so now I'm stuck with Impish Nature. Oh well, at least I can change her costume into the Meteor Mash/Flying Press/Icicle Crash one.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'll probably store my Cosplay Pikachu and never actually use it. Thus far I'm not as hyped for Contests as I was in R/S/E, probably because I got tired of them even back then.

AuraStorm13

Undaunted Explorer
So, I completed a Normal Rank Cool Contest with my Lucario, and yet when I went to check his Ribbons section there was no Contest Ribbon to be found. Have Contest Ribbons been completely axed altogether? If so, that's rather disappointing, collecting the Ribbons were a neat reward for winning contests, and if they're absent here then I feel winning them could get more meaningless quicker.

Kibamaru

Water PokéTrainer
So, I completed a Normal Rank Cool Contest with my Lucario, and yet when I went to check his Ribbons section there was no Contest Ribbon to be found. Have Contest Ribbons been completely axed altogether? If so, that's rather disappointing, collecting the Ribbons were a neat reward for winning contests, and if they're absent here then I feel winning them could get more meaningless quicker.

I came here to ask this too. Felt cheated when my Dustox won my first Contest in this game and didn't get a ribbon, just a badly posed screenshot >.<

Pilpulp

美的
I hate how the Cosplay Pikachu is automatically given to you and sent to your box right after you exit the dressing room >_<

I forgot to save beforehand, so now I'm stuck with Impish Nature. Oh well, at least I can change her costume into the Meteor Mash/Flying Press/Icicle Crash one.

I agree, that caught me off guard. Luckily I got a neutral nature, not the best, but not the worst either. It'll work for all the forms too.

Xuxuba

You'll win a ribbon after winning the Master rank which is not that hard actually. Just try a few times with cosplay Pikachu that you'll win in no time. Cosplay pikachu comes with really great conditions and good Cool moves.

naudna

There are also NPC who gives some items after winning contests. There are 2 wacan berries, 1 kasib and occa berry, and 1 old gateau. Not too sure winning which rank gives which though. I cleared three ranks up to 'master' in the cuteness contest at one go.

Last edited:

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I found out the hard way not all combos from back in RSE work. I wasted a Heart Scale so I could have a Lairon with Harden.

I didn't save before getting the Pikachu either but I got Naive nature so I got lucky there.

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
Does anyone know what the combo is for Encore and Wish? I have both on my Plusle for Cuteness Contests, and I can't figure out what works for them.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
is there a combo page on serebii yet?

Rakurai

Is that seriously all of the contest combos? Because if so, it seems like a lot of Pokemon are going to be lacking combos to use entirely, save for extremely generalized ones like Rest + Snore/Sleep Talk. RSE was nice because practically every move was involved in at least one combo.

I guess if Focus Energy still doubles the effectiveness of an appeal, I might have a shot at winning with a Hydreigon by using that plus Draco Meteor or Head Smash, despite it lacking any decent contest combos...

Last edited:

Durbe

I'm tired
I've completed all the contests on Master Rank and I'm going against both Wallace and Lisia in Beauty Master rank now no matter how much I reset. It really seems like the other contestant is putting in 100% more effort to make sure I don't get 5 stars on audience excitement more than ever, too. There's no way I can beat them with Castform's weather combos at the moment, I might even need to find something that can score better in Beauty which would be unfortunate since I do like Castform's moveset, even though it's basically general combos.

Is that seriously all of the contest combos? Because if so, it seems like a lot of Pokemon are going to be lacking combos to use entirely, save for extremely generalized ones like Rest + Snore/Sleep Talk. RSE was nice because practically every move was involved in at least one combo.

I guess if Focus Energy still doubles the effectiveness of an appeal, I might have a shot at winning with a Hydreigon by using that plus Draco Meteor or Head Smash, despite it lacking any decent contest combos...
just speaking from personal experience, I've been able to win Master Rank in Cool, Cute, and Tough without using ANY combos. they definitely don't seem to be as crucial as they were in the originals.

also, just maxing out your Pokemon's Contest Condition + having it hold the appropriately colored scarf from the Pokemon Fan Club guy in Slateport seems to give it a HUGE point advantage during the Appeal Round (thus making combos during the Talent Round even less necessary for winning.)

Ssargon

Wind Dragon
I must be an idiot because some of these move's contest descriptions make no sense whatsoever. Particularly "effectiveness depends on when it is used"; apparently this means it's always a crappy one heart? When are you supposed to use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.