• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Emergency! (002)

Alloutℯ

Banned
Funny how menacing the TRio was here, then suddenly they turned silly. When Ash was sitting in the waiting room, I didn't get why he misidentified that Articuno painting.

Jenny and Joy were both awesome here and I'm confused about how Ash mixed up Articuno and Ho-Oh. I get that he was a noob but it just seems a little odd.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jenny and Joy were both awesome here and I'm confused about how Ash mixed up Articuno and Ho-Oh. I get that he was a noob but it just seems a little odd.

Houou looked incredibly similar to Freezer in the wall mural that Satoshi saw in the lobby, so he can't be faulted too much for his mistake given his inexperience here.

Houou looked incredibly similar to Freezer in the wall mural that Satoshi saw in the lobby, so he can't be faulted too much for his mistake given his inexperience here.

They're not that similar but fine. I guess I should be more curious about why Nurse Joy knew about the Legendary Birds since she had the painting on the wall.

gentwoer

They're not that similar but fine. I guess I should be more curious about why Nurse Joy knew about the Legendary Birds since she had the painting on the wall.

Just because she's the nurse doesn't mean she has any say in the architecture.

And the bad cave drawing of Articuno did vaguely resemble Ho-Oh was Leon's point? Not that the actual Pokemon are similar.

gentwoer

This was a pretty important episode. We're introduced to Team Rocket who will end outlasting both Misty and Brock all the way to the current Sun and Moon series and Misty joins the party under the pretense that Ash owes her a new bike. We're also introduced to the marxist wet dream Pokemon center and Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy.

Speaking of Team Rocket they get a bit of early installment weirdness here. While still a bit of a joke especially in their defeat they act more serious than they will later on. Two of the three members will also get new voices in the English dub (though honestly Nathan Price and Maddie Blaustein sound similar) Meowth has this verbal tic of saying Meoooowth after every sentence that gets dropped I think after this one episode? And Meowth acts like the leader even though that will later default to Jessie.

And how dumb is Team Rocket for thinking Pikachu was special when it was clearly getting a power boost from Ash right in front of them?

There's a bit of dumb localization where 4kids ignores that Professor Oak is cooking ramen right on screen and says he's ordering a pizza. Stupid because ramen is incredibly common in America so its not like kids wouldn't know what it is.

Giving this episode B+ for being more developed than the first episode though the show doesn't really get into the groove just yet.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
And in addition to beating a cat (doesn't Jessie watch cartoons?), for good measure the mouse (Pikachu) defeated another of its predators, the snake (Ekans).

(It's true, snakes prey on mice, look it up)

DatsRight

Meowth has this verbal tic of saying Meoooowth after every sentence that gets dropped I think after this one episode?

That I suppose was an attempt to translate Meowth's 'nya' verbal tic in the Japanese edit. I could see why it would get annoying and stifling after a while (especially since Price didn't exactly flow it into his speech as smoothly as Inuyama does) so I suppose it worked to omit it for the most part (though personally, the Yiddish/beatnik exclamations they added later on can be just as irritating).

From what I know a lot of Meowth's 'leader' touting was a liberty from the original script, where Meowth simply claimed he was Giovanni's favourite. Notice in both cases Meowth's ego fades shortly after it is made obvious that he isn't.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I kind of miss the way that Nyasu seemed confident in being Sakaki's favorite in old episodes such as this one, whereas he seems much more desperate to please and impress his boss in newer episodes since he knows Sakaki thinks little of him.

DatsRight

I kind of miss the way that Nyasu seemed confident in being Sakaki's favorite in old episodes such as this one, whereas he seems much more desperate to please and impress his boss in newer episodes since he knows Sakaki thinks little of him.

If there's one thing I think got botched in the dub it was taking out that plot point (instead making him tout himself as the boss and 'top cat', again, something that didn't last when Jessie's dominant streak developed). It made you feel sorry for him when he found out he had lost Giovanni's favour in reality.

Then again, Meowth is always fully assured whatever hair brained plan to steal a Pokemon he has will have the boss up in arms to thank Meowth and friends and reward them on the spot.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Come to think of it, if Ash's Pikachu didn't show off so much of its power, TRio wouldn't go after it for 2 decades, that was your undoing Pikachu!

And Poor Misty with her destroyed bike. That was a start of the trend where the regional Pokegirl bikes got destroyed by Pikachu.

Classic episode! Got to see Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny & TRio for the 1st time.

DatsRight

Come to think of it, if Ash's Pikachu didn't show off so much of its power, TRio wouldn't go after it for 2 decades, that was your undoing Pikachu!

It was kinda a chain reaction, due to the multiple Pikachu's super charging it and Koffing's gas causing the whole thing to detonate.

Leonhart

Imagineer
AznKei said:

It's ironic since Pikachu's power here was increased thanks to Joi's squad of Pikachu, which means that the strength that impressed the Rocket-dan wasn't even his own.

I didn't understand why Misty made such a huge deal out of the burned bike, but she won my respect when she stalled Jessie and James so Ash could get away. I wonder why Team Rocket thought that Ash's Pikachu was even worth stealing. Didn't they see that Pikachu's finishing move was only strong because he had a boost? That power wasn't even his own.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
And how dumb is Team Rocket for thinking Pikachu was special when it was clearly getting a power boost from Ash right in front of them?
Very dumb, because not only was the "power boost" Ash was giving it completely negligible (bike lamps aren't that powerful no matter how hard you pedal) and it was thanks to SEVERAL pikachu shocking them that defeated them

On top of that, it was Ash's Pikachu's electricity igniting Koffing's gasses that leveled the pokémon center, not Ash's Pikachu itself

Team Rocket's entire obsession with Ash's Pikachu came about from a misconception

PineapplePizza

^I wonder if that was intentional on Shudo's end. That the joke is Team Rocket dedicated their lives to stalking a Pokemon that....really isn't that special. Especially when considering we will soon see it get whipped by a better trained Sandshrew, have its ass handed to it by its own evolved form (and only beat said evolved form in a rematch due to Ash exploiting a flaw in Surge's tactics) and then get trounced by a second-stage Psychic Pokemon. Two of those three things Team Rocket saw first hand and they still think Pikachu is special :p

DatsRight

It's a shame that afterwards they kept overusing the old cliche of Ash and Pikachu being special or 'the chosen ones' when it felt like the whole point was that they were only effective due to dumb luck or actually working their way up to be competent. For some reason after Shudo left they seemed to abolish any tint of cynicism in the anime.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
A good TRio, Joy and Jenny introduction episode. Delia mentioning Ash's father puzzled me. It is a shame that TRio decided to steal Pikachu after seeing the explosion, even though it was Koffing's toxic gas that caused it. Misty using Goldeen instead of Staryu/Starmie was stupid.
8/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
It's a shame that afterwards they kept overusing the old cliche of Ash and Pikachu being special or 'the chosen ones' when it felt like the whole point was that they were only effective due to dumb luck or actually working their way up to be competent. For some reason after Shudo left they seemed to abolish any tint of cynicism in the anime.

I didn't quite understand why the Rocket-dan trio were so fixated on capturing Satoshi's Pikachu at the end of this episode either since Pikachu wasn't that special or powerful. As we saw only a few episodes later when Satoshi faced Raichu, Pikachu was proven to be fallible and not some extraordinary Pikachu that was invincible.