• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon games in the far(ish) future

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Omega

Meh, I'll be dead by the time they can make pokemon real, anyway, so I don't give a damn. If they do make them real, kiss the world goodbye. >_> *cough*kyogregroudonlegendbirdskablam*cough*

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
Eeveeboy_geoff said:
Infinite water supply? Noo... Squirtle and other water types simply have a biological hydrogen fuel cell. It converts oxygen and hydrogen in the air to water and uses the energy to fire the attack.
this is a good reason we couldnt engineer pokemon. no matter how far technology goes, creating new genes is pretty much out of human reach. it would require the manipulation of protiens only certain enzymes are capable of, and its highly doubtful we could harness this. any gene that allows pokemon to use their attacks is strictly nonexistent in todays world; you cant genetically engineer something with a gene that isnt in any other organism

O

Ojkoj

well if scientists did learn all the technology stuff, thier first goal wouldnt be to make pokemon. it would be a goal after much research.

.Person.

No avatard plz
Then will come predators and a food chane. what about the thaught of
Global Warming? What if they over power us?

Wigu said:
Guys, "real" Pokemon isn't a game. ._."

...so? It isn't THAT far off topic.

intergalactic platypus said:
this is a good reason we couldnt engineer pokemon. no matter how far technology goes, creating new genes is pretty much out of human reach. it would require the manipulation of protiens only certain enzymes are capable of, and its highly doubtful we could harness this. any gene that allows pokemon to use their attacks is strictly nonexistent in todays world; you cant genetically engineer something with a gene that isnt in any other organism

Good point... However, I believe that 1000 or more years of science will be able to produce techniques such as this. I'm not saying I agree with the idea of real Pokémon... I just think it's possible.

Anyway, I think a Pokémon game similar to "The World" in .hack would be awesome...

come to think of it, a game/virtual world like that would take alot more power than I thought, so it'd still be a long time till it would be possible and practical. But at least it'd be available (maybe) in our lifetimes, as opposed to in 1000 years with "real" pokemon, and with pretty much none of the danger or difficulties

Keleri

I pinch.
Anyway, replying to the original post... it would be cool to have an immersive, virtual-reality type game, but I'll settle for a traditional 3D one (maybe on the Rev?) that has a decent, fast battle system. The GC pokemon games are nice, but battles take FOR EVER.
Cross-breeding? I'm not completely sure what you mean by that, but I'm getting visions of games like Dragon Warrior Monsters... and all I can say is noooooo~. I like the rules imposed by the current system. Cross-breeding would open it up too wide.

Eeveeboy_geoff said:
Infinite water supply? Noo... Squirtle and other water types simply have a biological hydrogen fuel cell. It converts oxygen and hydrogen in the air to water and uses the energy to fire the attack.

Cute idea, but the hydrogen content in normal air is virtually negligible. You'd be better off extracting water itself from the air, if you wanted to take that route.

the whole reason I though a virtual reality game would be so cool was that, if done well, it could be just like pokemon existed in the real world, and this is something that alot of people have talked about. I would keep most of the systems the way they are (breeding, etc) but make the battle systems more real time. A VR game would be kinda stupid if you had to wait with your pokemon while the other player decided on a move.

B

BlueAbsol

I'd go for a 3D comp game with nice battles, grafics, the thing is more real time (tike it would not take 5 min to get through the forest, you'd acoually have to wander through the forest) where you have to buy food and stuff for yourself. Fun, and much more plausible in my lifetime. We can always daydream about it happing...*sigh*. VR would be nice, but complicated. I already lose track of time as it is, who's to say you wouldn't stay in there all night? And if you bumped your head, and forgotit was just VR and thought it was real, you'd end up starving to death. 'real' pokemon is abit much, If you wanted something like that, maybe in the future you can have 'custom pets' , geneticl altered house pets to look like mini lions and stuff, and maybe you could request making an animal looklike, say, eevee or vulpix. I don't see anyone making a diito! :p It might be sorta cruel to the animals, though. But we always have our imagination, eh?

I liked this thread so much, then I just... forgot about it

To tell the truth, there are people already who lose track of time, lose their jobs, have no social life because they're addicted to some video game or another (i.e. Evercrack). I believe that will actually be a problem with the coming of virtual reality gaming. With a computer game, you might realize how long you've been staring at a screen. With high-quality VR, though, you might just become entirely immersed the the alternate reality and forget about everything else entirely. I don't think that'll stop it from being produced, though: the vendors wouldn't worry about people being too engrossed as long as the game sold well, which I suspect they would. But pokemon would be ideal for a massive online multiplayer virtual reality game, which is why I hope it's popularity will last until that's possible. Pokemon, though, I think will continue for a long time, so the future looks bright and I predict there will be many new and innovative opportinies for the franchise.

I can't see genetic alterations for pets occuring anytime soon, 1) because of all the animal rights advocates and controversy over genetic engineering anwyay and 2) Because we probably won't have the technology to design new animals and will for a long time to come (though progress is rapidly accelerating. Plus, there's always the danger that they would enter the ecosystem and severely damage it. And if they were as strong as pokemon, who knows how dangerous they could be? But, nomatter what, it's a fun thing to imagine, which brings up my last point about VR: If they did take the game of pokemon and project it as a 3D VR scene to the highest quality, would that kill the game for us? Would we finally see the amazing, fierce full motion battles we had always imagined, then just go "oh, so that's what'd be like..." and stop caring? Is pokemon, in fact, better left to the imagination? We wouldn't be able to tell until we had already tried it. There's something to stop and think about...

Status
Not open for further replies.