1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon GO: Simple Q&A Thread (CLICK HERE IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT BANS)

Discussion in 'Pokemon GO Discussion' started by JX Valentine, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Lexya428

Lexya428 Pokèmon Master

Before I installed the update it showed me exactly where I caught them. I haven't changed anything. I have only been the same areas before and after. None of the Pokémon are showing me exactly where I caught them, even the ones I caught before the update.

Exactly. As of now, I am on wifi and even the Pokémon I caught at home don't show where they were caught. It's not a huge deal, but I want to know what exactly it is.

2. porygonfan

porygonfan Well-Known Member

I haven't downloaded Pokemon go because I have some questions

First question, do you have to sign up by email? If my I phone dies or breaks and I wasn't able to save Pokemon go to I tunes I want to be able to get my game back.

To evolve you need to get candies from Pokemon in the same evolution line, correct? Is there any other way to get candies without spending real money?

Can I start my own gym and invite friends to join? Do you add friends in game?

How do battles work against other people? Does the phone vibrate or ring to alert you?

Do Pokemon have attacks or do you just tap the screen to attack?

3. JX Valentine

JX Valentine Ever-Discordant

Hokay, sending this to the Simple Q&A thread first.

Otherwise, here we gooooo~!

Nope! You can also sign up using your Pokémon Trainer Club account.

Sure. All of your game data is stored on the server, not on your phone. So you can access your account using any device, so long as you use the same login credentials, regardless of which method you use to sign up. (As in, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.)

Weeeellll, you don't spend money to get candies in the first place, so this isn't too much of an issue. ;D

That having been said, there are a few ways to get candies:

1. Catch Pokémon of the same species. Each capture nets you three more candies.
    2. Send Pokémon to Professor Willow. You can do this on each Pokémon's profile, at the very bottom. This nets you one candy a piece.
    3. Hatching Pokémon will net you a bunch of candy as well.

Kinda sorta. Every gym is really a location on the map. Your goal in GO is to train up enough to capture one of these points before a member of the other team does. If you can capture a point (by depositing your Pokémon in an unclaimed point) and if your Pokémon is the strongest one deposited there, you'll get to be the gym leader until members of your rival team take the point back from you. (Gyms owned by other teams can be conquered if all of their Pokémon are defeated enough times to lose all its prestige, or ... a gym's equivalent of HP, I suppose. At that point, anyone else can claim that gym.)

Your friends, of course, can join in if they deposit their Pokémon in the same gym as you. This can only happen if all of you are physically near the gym you wish to claim.

Aaaand I know that this is all confusing, but I swear it makes more sense when you go to do it. XD Either way, short answer is yes but not in the way you're probably thinking of.

Not in the app, unfortunately. You can certainly meet people and run around with them, though. ;D

In all seriousness, you pretty much communicate outside the app. Luckily, folks are already establishing Facebook groups and other online communities (such as this one) in which members of the same team can communicate and share information, including where and when to go around the neighborhood, battling gyms together. I'd recommend Googling or Facebook searching groups set up in your neck of the woods.

Unfortunately, you can only battle at a gym, which means you go to a point on a map and battle whatever Pokémon were left there. While you and your fellow team members (or members of the other rival team to whoever owns the gym) can team up to take conquer each gym, it's not possible to directly battle the gym leader, and the gym leader doesn't even have to be present in order for all of this to happen.

Your device will also not vibrate or ring if a gym you own is getting attacked ... although imo, that would be sweet.

They have two attacks and one dodge option. You can tap on a gym Pokémon to attack it, swipe to dodge an attack, or press and hold the screen to charge up and fire a special attack.

Hope that helps!

4. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria Shiny hunter

Now I've realised what your issue is. I've faced the exact same thing after the update and now, when I check up on the locations where my Pokémon were caught, it did not show an exact place, just a general area around where I live. This one should be perfectly normal.

5. Lexya428

Lexya428 Pokèmon Master

I just wanted to make sure, it stinks, but all well. Probably a privacy concern.

Another question, so I have to Jigglypuff with special move Disarming Voice? Does that mean it'll evolve into a Wigglytuff with Dazzling Gleam or is it possible for it to have either Hyper Beam or Play Rough?

6. Birds of Paradise

Birds of Paradise FireStorm

I'm slowly but surely collecting growlithe candies and I have two potential growlithe candidates for evolution.I have one with a higher cp of 254 but the other cp 239 knows flamethrower as its special move, which does more damage. If I evolve the one that knows flamethrower, will that special move stay the same or change to a different one? Or would it be better to evolve the one with the highest cp?

7. Flandre

Flandre Fluffy Flareon

Is there a good time to evolve a pokemon? I have a Ponyta and I've given it about 20 candies but it's still not max, will I lose out on stats if I evolve it into a Rapidash? I'm level 13 but I still feel really new....

8. NewSchoolBoxer

NewSchoolBoxer Active Member

Every player who has tested this has reported that the time doesn't matter. If you boost 5 times then evolve or evolve then boost 5 times, Rapidash will have the same cp. Perhaps a good time then is after evolving to see if you like the move set it gets and also wait longer in case you catch a wild Rapidash that has higher cp / better moves.

9. NewSchoolBoxer

The poster in the Eevee thread on here who evolved 7 Eevees said that the evolved form has moves determined by random. That would seem to apply to every pokemon. Maybe I can provide further proof when I evolve my mass of Pidgeys. In your case then, evolve the cp 254 one.

Note that there is some speculation that the weight and height (XS, Normal or XL) of the pokemon can determine its moves but I haven't seen any proof.

10. NewSchoolBoxer

I got that the first two days I played and only in the evening. I assume it's from too many people trying to log in at once, i.e. when they get off of work. I read on the official pokemon site how they temporarily put a hold on making new accounts because of the influx from Pokemon Go. I kept restarting the game and trying to log in and after 5-10 minutes I was able to.

11. NewSchoolBoxer

Don't go with what the website says. When you press and hold down on a ball, you will see the colored circle shrink then reappear and shrink in a loop, right? You have to throw inside the colored circle for a Nice, Great or Excellent bonus. Nice is when it's almost full (easiest), Great is, I'd say, 75%-25% full (medium) and Excellent is tiny indeed (hard). You get 10, 50 and 100 bonus xp, respectively, for getting one of those catches. Actually, being able to consistently perform Great catches is extremely helpful when leveling because 150 is 50% more than the standard 100 xp for catching a pokemon you already own. On top of a lucky egg bonus, it's 3x as much.

I'm quite certain but cannot prove that each catch increases the probability of capturing the targeted pokemon, with the harder the catch (Excellent > Great > Nice) increasing the probability to a greater extent. Certainly with the orange circles, I had to get a Great and/or a curved throw to catch the pokemon every time. Speculation is fairly strong that curved throws also boost the chance to catch.

12. NewSchoolBoxer

If you play this game enough, it becomes obvious that some pokemon are far more common than others. Additionally, some spots seem to have a very high chance of catching specific pokemon, such as the reddit post I saw with the player catching about 10 Dratinis in a row.

Making an educated guess, I'd say the rarity (not counting the spot having special affinity for specific pokemon) to be more or less:

Very Common:
    Pidgey, Rattata, Caterpie, Weedle, Magikarp

Common:
    Most other base forms of pokemon that evolve (Nidoran, Grimer, Spearow, Staryu, Eevee, etc)

Rare:
    Starters (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle), Pikachu and State 1 evolutions of Very Common (Pidgeotto, Raticate, Metapod, Kakuna) but not Gyarados

Very Rare:
    Stage 1 of Common, pokemon that don't evolve (Scyther, Pinser, Jynx, etc)

Epic:
    Stage of 1 of Rare, Stage 2 of Very Common or Common (if they exist)

I don't want to speculate beyond that but several players have said to seen wild Blastoise. It seems likely that everything but the legendary birds, Mew, Mewtwo and perhaps Farfetch'd can be found in the wild.

I welcome others to confirm or deny any of this. I haven't taken the time to record the 9 pokemon that appear on the radar over time. I'm just going with what I've felt.

13. a cat

a cat Member

Can we start a PokéWorld project? As in people show off what they have in their area? This includes PokéStops and wild Pokémon locations?

Also CP is there a max? Is that the same for all Pokémon?

If I catch a 10 CP Magikarp, then later a 150 CP Magikarp, with more Magikarp candy can I get the 10 CP Magikarp up to the same CP as I did with the 150 CP Magikarp just with more candy?

Also earlier I hit a glitch where it said 0/500 eggs and 0/275 Pokémon?! Anyone else see this?

Also I know the location of a Dragonite!!! Just got great balls, will that be enough to capture this rare Pokémon? My brother tried regular Pokeballs and failed (at level 9, I'm 12).

And One last one...
    Why do I not see the Pokémon in AR mode but I see the ball? Isn't the technology the same for both models?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  14. Lexya428

Lexya428 Pokèmon Master

That glitch happens to me quite frequently... I just shut down the app and turn it back on.

So, if there's no Pokémon on the screen in AR mode, than your game is glitching. Mine has done this. Out of AR mode it has also happened though. Looking for the circles helps in this case.

As for commonness of Pokémon in my area... at least as of thus far.

Very Common:
    Pidgey, Rattata, Weedle, Nindoran Male, Spearow, Eevee (which is the most common)

Common:
    Nidoran Female, Caterpie

Rare:
    Squirtle, Pidgeotto, Metapod, Kakuna, Magikarp, Staryu

Very Rare:
    Grimer, Charmander

Extremely Rare:
    Scyther, Pinsir, Jynx, Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Raticate

I will consider recording what shows up on my radar for a more accurate analysis.

15. NewSchoolBoxer

My brother who frequents other forums said that there is evidence that all fully evolved pokemon can reach a maximum 2000 CP at level 20. I've seen 1800ish CP pokemon in gyms from level 20 and 21 players, so this seems reasonable.

You can boost the 10 CP Magikarp to 150ish CP Magikarp but I wouldn't advice it. You're wasting dust and candy unless you have some evidence that the lower CP one will learn better moves than the higher CP one when they evolve into Gyarados. Current theory is moves are randomly generated at each evolution, though I wouldn't be surprised if having XS or XL weight and height mattered to some extent. I'm at level 12 and nearly every pokemon I encounter has a CP over 100. Some are well over 200. Take caution when boosting anything.

Dragonite, nice!! I still haven't gotten a Dratini or Dragonair but I seem them on the radar on occasion. I never saw a Stage 2 pokemon until level 12 when I encountered Poliwrath without ever encountering Poliwhirl. Saw a Beedrill on the radar but couldn't find it.
    To answer your question, I find that a great ball will turn an orange circle yellow and a yellow circle green compared to a poke ball, so it should be possible to catch Dragonite with it. I hope your throwing is skillful enough to get Great most of the time. Can also give a berry before each capture attempt but you have to actually drag the berry onto the pokemon and see the shiny animation to get credit.

I don't get your glitches so I can't comment.

16. vdW

vdW Trainer

Is there another way to discover where a Pokémon (with a few footprints) is besides just walking in several directions hoping you will find him before he disappears?

17. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

No. Once you've selected it on your footprint radar, that's as much information of the game will give you.

18. firemaster13

firemaster13 Pokémon Ranger

Hi! I have just evolved a zubat into a golbat, which is something perfectly normal, but I don't see anything to evolve the golbat into a crobat. So, my qustion is: in pokemon go, is it possible to evolve a golbat into a crobat? If it is, can you tell me how is that done?

19. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

Crobat doesn't exist in Gen I, so it doesn't exist in Go yet.

20. DamianKaiYamamoto

DamianKaiYamamoto New Member

Finding/Found Fire type pokemon

I was wondering if any one has any fire type pokemon, not through evolving them and where typically would you find them geographicly speaking. Also has any one found a vulpix?