• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon GO: Simple Q&A Thread (CLICK HERE IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT BANS)

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Seems like I had to first accept the terms and services on the trainer club website before I could log in. It didn't say that anywhere. =/

I've been reading on how to hatch eggs. It says the app wont run in the background, so I have to keep the screen from turning off?

You could try the power saving mode. The screen goes black, but the app is still running. I think it overrides your usual screen off settings.

Burumun

You could try the power saving mode. The screen goes black, but the app is still running. I think it overrides your usual screen off settings.

I don't know if it's just me, but the screen still goes off when I'm using the power saving mode. All you have to do is tap the screen every few sec or so though (or possibly even less often, depending on your settings). Not sure if it works while the game is on standby or whatever, but at most, all you have to do is raise your phone and tap it.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I don't know if it's just me, but the screen still goes off when I'm using the power saving mode. All you have to do is tap the screen every few sec or so though (or possibly even less often, depending on your settings). Not sure if it works while the game is on standby or whatever, but at most, all you have to do is raise your phone and tap it.

That's actually completely normal for power save mode. It dims your screen, but it doesn't lock it. The game's still running, even in this state, so it's a nice compromise between closing out of the app completely (by letting your screen lock) and running your battery down (by keeping the app's battery-lovin' graphics displayed).

Burumun

That's actually completely normal for power save mode. It dims your screen, but it doesn't lock it. The game's still running, even in this state, so it's a nice compromise between closing out of the app completely (by letting your screen lock) and running your battery down (by keeping the app's battery-lovin' graphics displayed).

That's what I meant, it doesn't override the screen locking, so if I don't tap my screen every few seconds (in the meantime, I've found out this works while in power-saving mode), my phone will lock.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
How does gym Pokémon placement even work? For some reason I can only place a Pokémon when there's only one or two members. :S

SETH'123

Grandta
CP related question: I have no clue about this whole CP system but let's say I have a gengar and I use stardust and candies to boost him till I can't use anymore stardust or candies.

So that gengar can't go up anymore, could I find a higher CP gengar out in the wild that would make me boosting him up a waste?

Or would the wild gengar be the same as my gengar, if I found a lucky gengar.

Is CP capped?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
So that gengar can't go up anymore, could I find a higher CP gengar out in the wild that would make me boosting him up a waste?

Afaik, CP comes in a range, so you could very well find a Gengar in the wild that has a higher potential CP. So let's say you're at level 40, and you catch a Gengar. You boost that Gengar's CP all the way up to 1743. While you might not catch a Gengar that has 1743+ CP (as also afaik, you can't really catch a Pokémon that's had its CP maxed out), you could catch one that could have a higher max CP. Think of it like the max stats in the main series. (Or idk, maybe IVs.) While Pokémon of the same species has the same general base stats, the actual stats of two Gengar or two what-nots may vary wildly, even if you raise them in the exact same way.

So in the end, I wouldn't say it'd be a waste to power up the Gengar you already have instead of hunting around for a wild one, but there's no guarantee that you're going to end up with the most powerful Gengar ever created, yanno?

(Buuuuut feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, folks~!)

Is CP capped?

It is indeed! And this depends on species too. You can check out a full list of Pokémon right on Serebii's main site. Click on any of the ones you're curious about, and you'll find a chart of the max CP range for each species.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
You need to change the bit about Android N. The app has worked in phones running the dev preview for over a week now since the app updated

SETH'123

Grandta
So you're saying my 246CP Dragonite can reach the 3500CP cap by just using stardust and candies?

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
Has anyone found out anything new about evolving pokemon and movesets? If there is a way to influence/at-least-partially-predict movesets, that would be super helpful.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
So you're saying my 246CP Dragonite can reach the 3500CP cap by just using stardust and candies?

It's possible! :D Just like how in the main games, different Pokémon of the same species have different max stats, different Pokémon of the same species in GO have slightly different max CP, but whatever their actual max CP is will always fall within a certain range. So your Dragonite could reach that 3500 cap ... or it could only reach 3067. This is because the CP of every individual Pokémon is actually calculated by its stats, which in turn take into account the bane of every main series competitive player's existence: the IV.

In other words, CP is actually just shorthand for your Pokémon's battling ability and takes into consideration the stats the game uses (attack, defense, and stamina). These in turn work very similarly to the way they do in the main series in that they're not fixed numbers. Rather, the attack, defense, and stamina varies just slightly for every Pokémon, but there's a set range for what those stats can be (for every species). Max CP in the first page you'll see on that link I'd offered up is really just a figure of max possible CP. The actual ranges are displayed on the pages for each Pokémon (click on a Pokémon name to find them—or try Dragonite's page for an example), and your Pokémon's final CP, after pumping a bunch of stardust and candies into it all the way up to the point where you hit level 40, could fall anywhere within that range.

Of course, like training Pokémon for competitive play in the main series, just because you're not guaranteed to hit that absolute maximum CP for any Pokémon you catch doesn't mean it's not worthwhile to feed your stardust and candies into your Pokémon. It's okay to work with what you have.

But! There's some worth in the advice that's been floating around where people are telling each other not to power up until you get to higher levels—level 30, to be exact. It's because, yes, you can encounter Pokémon with higher CPs in the wild than what you might catch at lower levels. (I also take back what I said earlier about max CP Pokémon in the wild: apparently, you can encounter Pokémon right around level 30 you don't need to feed stardust or candies to.) It's just that if you're impatient and want to max out a Pokémon on your own before you get to that point, you're not going to hinder yourself any; the Pokémon you power up now won't necessarily be weaker than the Pokémon you find and power up later. And that's all because every Pokémon has a different stat spread, so you've got no guarantees that the Dragonite you catch later will have a higher CP when maxed out than the Dragonite you've powered up to the max now.

Hope that hasn't overly complicated things. x_x Sorry if it did!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
There are gyms where I am able to deposit a Pokemon and there are times where gyms won't allow me to do it. Is there any reason why I'm not allowed to perform this action?

It's dependent on gym level. A gym can only have a number of Pokémon equivalent to whatever level it's at. So for example, if the gym's level 3, it can have three Pokémon at the very most.

However! That's where gym prestige comes in. If you train at the gym, you'll increase its prestige. If you increase its prestige enough, you'll get it to level up, thus allowing yourself to add more Pokémon.

echo13

Do gym prestige/level reset every time a gym is taken by a new team? Or if it is defeated at level 3, it stays at level 3 for example and the new team can immediately put multiple pokemon in?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Do gym prestige/level reset every time a gym is taken by a new team? Or if it is defeated at level 3, it stays at level 3 for example and the new team can immediately put multiple pokemon in?

Luckily, it resets. :) ('Course, part of this is the fact that taking over gyms involves lowering the gym's prestige all the way to zero, which in turn knocks down its level and kicks Pokémon out.)

I say "luckily" because if your level 10 gym fell into the hands of an opposing team, just imagine how much of a pain that would be to take it over again.

Last edited:

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
So, um, for some reason I had decided to neglect this for now, but, it's annoying me. The power saver mode is supposed to turn your screen off when you put the phone upside down, but that does not work for me. And, it show Phone's orientation not detected or something similar when I try to keep AR on during a Pokemon encounter and forces me to turn it off. Any tips on what can be done?

porygonfan

Pokemon Go gym help

So, my gym is full of 500 and 1200 CP Pokemon. I haven't battled at any gym yet, my strongest Pokemon is only 200 cp. If my Pokemon has the type advantage could it beat such a high cp Pokemon?

When I battle in a gym and get beaten, does the Pokemon get erased or I have to revive it?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
So, my gym is full of 500 and 1200 CP Pokemon. I haven't battled at any gym yet, my strongest Pokemon is only 200 cp. If my Pokemon has the type advantage could it beat such a high cp Pokemon?

When I battle in a gym and get beaten, does the Pokemon get erased or I have to revive it?

Bumping this over the Simple Q&A Thread!

That said, 200 CP's kinda low, so it's pretty unlikely that you'll beat a 500 CPer, let alone something with 1200 CP. I'd recommend going out and continuing to level up, as that should open up stronger Pokémon for you. Alternatively, feed your 200 CP Pokémon stardust and candies, although that might not be the best strategy (because you'll find stronger Pokémon later).

As for your second question, you'll get to revive it. :) By now, you should have unlocked revives and potions, both of which can be used to restore your Pokémon.

(Also, sorry, Lt. BLEU! D: Not sure what to tell you there—perhaps someone else knows? What phone've you got?)