• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon GO: Simple Q&A Thread (CLICK HERE IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT BANS)

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
Can you have more than nine eggs? Ive never had more than nine and after I've hatched two or so eggs I'll find more eggs but I don't seem to find anymore once I'm back up to nine again.

pretty sure not. when I have missing spots for eggs, I get them from stops at a fairly high rate, but once I'm at nine eggs, even if I hit a gazillion stops (like, by walking around the local college campus, where the density is insane) I don't get any more.

batdead

What is this thing?

Okay so i've been playing pokemon go and there's one silhouet (don't know if i spelled that right, whatever that's not the point) that i cannot, for the life of me, make out.
And this is from someone who knows the first 3 gens by heart.
13942288_10154363579284383_512441796_n.jpg

Please someone answer soon, it's bugging me like crazy. And i can't go looking for it at 3am in the city.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Okay so i've been playing pokemon go and there's one silhouet (don't know if i spelled that right, whatever that's not the point) that i cannot, for the life of me, make out.
And this is from someone who knows the first 3 gens by heart.
13942288_10154363579284383_512441796_n.jpg

Please someone answer soon, it's bugging me like crazy. And i can't go looking for it at 3am in the city.

Merging into Simple Q&A.

And that's a Goldeen.

(You can tell by the fantail, but it's also not quite as round as a Seaking.)

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Do we have any confirmation on the pokemon identity glitch and if it is what happened with the two Articuno's running around?

Long story short: a player reported after catching a weedle, the game ID changed to Charizard after connecting with the servers or whatever.

There are currently two reports of players defending gyms with Articuno. One is on mystic, one is on instinct. The mystic one claims that Niantic gifted it to them as an apology after emailing them about an in game issue. No proof of the email was provided.

I personally think both accounts are either a glitch or a hack but have not seen any confirmation either way. I do not think Niantic would give away legendaries before their planned event unless they are giving heavy preference to their whales.

(a "whale" is a micro transaction game term referring to extremely large purchasers of in game services which can support financially upkeep on a game for hundreds of players)

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Do we have any confirmation on the pokemon identity glitch and if it is what happened with the two Articuno's running around?

When it comes to the Articuno, the only statement Niantic gave on the matter was that they "got into a few accounts when they shouldn't have" but that these were removed from said accounts to preserve the integrity of the game. They weren't specific as to whether or not someone had given these players Articuno and the PR rep didn't know about it or if these people had gotten Articuno through a glitch and simply lied about Niantic sending them one.

(There is no word yet on the glitch that changes Pokémon when you catch them, meanwhile.)

ricardopaleari

I'm beggining to play this game and I'm using the IV calculator. I know that in main games the Pokemon IV doesn't change when it evolves, is this still true in Pokemon Go?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So there's something I'm curious about. As a general rule of thumb, if I have a relatively strong basic Pokemon or a relatively weaker evolved one, is it better to spend the candies training the evolved one, or evolving the unevolved one? For example, I have a Golduck with 240 power and a Psyduck with 202. Should I evolve the Psyduck or train the Golduck? What would get me the more powerful Pokemon?

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I'll edit this post with some tips shortly, but the quick answer is SAVE YOUR STARDUST!

Edit:

Tips for new and early level GO players

1) Save your Stardust! The lower your player level, the lower the CP wild and hatched pokemon will have. As your level increases, you will find/hatch pokemon with higher CP. Don’t waste your stardust on early, low-level pokemon. You will constantly be catching and hatching stronger ones as you progress. Eggs stop increasing in CP at level 20 and wild pokemon stop increasing in CP at level 30. Don’t use a speck of Stardust until you’ve at least reached level 20+!

2) Eggs are better than wild Pokémon! If you know what Individual/Inherent Values (IVs) are, eggs typically have better IVs than wild pokemon. If you want the best pokemon for gyms, use your hatched pokemon for Power Ups and Evolving. Use the wild pokemon to fill your pokedex and collect candy/stardust, but don’t waste your stardust on them unless you know they have decent IVs. A higher CP doesn’t necessarily mean a pokemon is better than another. I explain IVs in more detail below.

3) Catch everything! Don’t be discouraged if you find a lot of Pidgey, Weedle, Caterpie, and Rattata. Those pokemon play an important role in leveling up. However, don’t waste a ton of your balls on any particular pokemon (unless you don’t have it in your pokedex or desperately need the candies). It’s not worth it to throw away 10 balls for 100 stardust and 4 candies. A pokemon with a really low catch rate will waste a lot of your balls and berries. It’s better to just run away from them.

4) Incubators are the best item for your money! If you put money into the game, Lucky Eggs and Incense are great items, but Incubators are much more important. I always try to have 9 eggs incubating at once. Hatching an egg gets you experience, stardust, a lot of candies, and stronger pokemon.

5) Lucky Eggs double your experience! The quickest way to gain experience and level your character is to evolve pokemon. Each evolution earns you 500 exp. When you have a Lucky Egg active, they become 1000 exp. All those Pidgey, Weedle and Rattata you catch are quick experience gains. Just activate a lucky egg and evolve away! You have 30 minutes to evolve as many pokemon as you can. Don’t waste your time transferring anything until you run out of pokemon to evolve or time on your lucky egg.

6) Use Incense for more Pokémon! Incense will attract random pokemon for 30 minutes. If you are moving at a decent pace, they will show up more frequently, but even sitting still with an incense can get you 1 about every 5 minutes.

7) There are tools to help you with the game. https://thesilphroad.com/research is one of the best resources. Remember those IVs I mentioned? The Silph Road has a calculator to help you find out what your pokemon’s IVs are. They also have lists showing you how much experience you can earn for anything that earns you experience, what items you get when you level up, base stats for each pokemon, and information about attacks. It’s very useful for building Gym-ready pokemon.

Inherent Values

Pokemon have somewhat complex stats. CP is actually a combination of Attack and Defense, and they are both a combination of base stats and inherent values. Stamina or Health Points (HP) is also a combination of base stats and IVs. Base stats are the same for every pokemon of a species, meaning every Bulbasaur has the same base stats. IVs are different for every pokemon, meaning two Bulbasuar probably have different IVs.

Pokemon that hatch from eggs almost always have better IVs than wild pokemon. If you want to have the best pokemon for gym battles (and later 1-on-1 battles), then it’s worth it to evolve and power up your hatched pokemon even if it takes more Stardust to get them up to max. They will end up being stronger than a pokemon that was caught near max.

Last edited:

Meillquei

Keeper of Slurpuffs
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm kind of behind most people in level, so...

I'm sort of close to reaching the max number of Pokemon you can have. I have a bunch of 10 CP Pokemon just sitting around. I know it's best to just evolve Pokemon for CP. However, I've been trying to just evolve all my higher CP Pokemon. Should I just transfer all my lower CP Pokemon without evolving them to get more candies? Or should I just save them until I evolve them and transfer them after?

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm kind of behind most people in level, so...

I'm sort of close to reaching the max number of Pokemon you can have. I have a bunch of 10 CP Pokemon just sitting around. I know it's best to just evolve Pokemon for CP. However, I've been trying to just evolve all my higher CP Pokemon. Should I just transfer all my lower CP Pokemon without evolving them to get more candies? Or should I just save them until I evolve them and transfer them after?

If you can, turn on the lucky egg and evolve your Pokemon regardless of CP, it will give you a huge exp boost in 30 minutes. I do this regularly and I'm already level 31. Also, reaching higher level will give you stronger CP Pokemon anyway.

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
Hello new player here: probably a really stupid question
I have caught a lot of pidgeys/rattatas and now can evolve them (yippee) however they are at different CP levels I have ones ranging from 26 - 101. Which one is better to evolve? Or is it better to take all candy from all of them and put it into my caught pidgetto?

Spoiler (big piece of info)
cp 26 pidgey attacks Tackle and Air Cutter
cp 60 pidgey attacks quick attack and aerial ace
cp 58 pidgey attacks quick attack and twister
cp 44 pidgey attacks quick attack and air cutter
cp 10 pidgey attacks quick attack and twister
cp 94 pidgey attacks quick attack and aerial ace
cp 100 pidgey attacks tackle and aerial ace
cp 101 pidgey attacks quick attack and twister
cp 68 pidgey attacks tackle and twister
cp 74 pidgey attacks quick attack and air cutter
cp 80 pidgey attacks tackle and air cutter
cp 25 pidgey attacks tackle and twister
cp 24 pidgey attacks quick attack and aerial ace
cp 10 pidgey attacks tackle and aerial ace
cp 15 pidgetto attacks wing attack and aerial ace
cp 25 pidgey attacks tackle and air cutter
cp 10 pidgey attacks tackle and twister

I have a similar dilemma with rattatas with a raticate and weedles and a kakuna and lots of spearow (I may have over caught these slightly)

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Hello new player here: probably a really stupid question
I have caught a lot of pidgeys/rattatas and now can evolve them (yippee) however they are at different CP levels I have ones ranging from 26 - 101. Which one is better to evolve? Or is it better to take all candy from all of them and put it into my caught pidgetto?

Spoiler (big piece of info)
cp 26 pidgey attacks Tackle and Air Cutter
cp 60 pidgey attacks quick attack and aerial ace
cp 58 pidgey attacks quick attack and twister
cp 44 pidgey attacks quick attack and air cutter
cp 94 pidgey attacks quick attack and aerial ace
cp 100 pidgey attacks tackle and aerial ace
cp 101 pidgey attacks quick attack and twister
cp 68 pidgey attacks tackle and twister
cp 74 pidgey attacks quick attack and air cutter
cp 80 pidgey attacks tackle and air cutter
cp 25 pidgey attacks tackle and twister
cp 24 pidgey attacks quick attack and aerial ace
cp 15 pidgetto attacks wing attack and aerial ace
cp 25 pidgey attacks tackle and air cutter
cp 10 pidgey attacks tackle and twister

I have a similar dilemma with rattatas with a raticate and weedles and a kakuna and lots of spearow (I may have over caught these slightly)

No worries! It's not a stupid question. :D

The answer is it's actually better to evolve as many of your highest CP Pokémon as possible. Because you'll encounter stronger Pokémon in the wild as you level up, your main goal right now is actually to get enough EXP to level up your trainer, rather than power up your Pokémon. (After all, you'll encounter something stronger than any Pidgeotto you can obtain right now, so it just makes more sense to wait.) So because evolutions give you tons of EXP, it's better to evolve as many Pokémon as possible. As in, don't evolve all of your Pidgey all the way into Pidgeot. You can do it for the one with the highest CP because getting a new dex entry also nets you some EXP, but once you get that dex entry, you don't need more Pidgeot. So evolve the rest into Pidgeotto, then trade them for candy in order to get more evolutions out of your Pidgey collection. Do the same with all of your Rattata, Weedle, and Spearow.

Hope that made sense!

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
No worries! It's not a stupid question. :D

The answer is it's actually better to evolve as many of your highest CP Pokémon as possible. Because you'll encounter stronger Pokémon in the wild as you level up, your main goal right now is actually to get enough EXP to level up your trainer, rather than power up your Pokémon. (After all, you'll encounter something stronger than any Pidgeotto you can obtain right now, so it just makes more sense to wait.) So because evolutions give you tons of EXP, it's better to evolve as many Pokémon as possible. As in, don't evolve all of your Pidgey all the way into Pidgeot. You can do it for the one with the highest CP because getting a new dex entry also nets you some EXP, but once you get that dex entry, you don't need more Pidgeot. So evolve the rest into Pidgeotto, then trade them for candy in order to get more evolutions out of your Pidgey collection. Do the same with all of your Rattata, Weedle, and Spearow.

Hope that made sense!

Right so I evolve all the higher level pidgey and trade the rest in for pidgey candy to get the cp on those pidgetto higher? Pokémon go is very confusing with evolving and levelling up pokemon!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Right so I evolve all the higher level pidgey and trade the rest in for pidgey candy to get the cp on those pidgetto higher? Pokémon go is very confusing with evolving and levelling up pokemon!

Ah, actually, nope! Don't power up any of your Pokémon at the moment. Instead, trade in the Pidgeotto you've just evolved to get more candies to evolve Pidgey. D: Like I said, the more evolutions you perform, the more EXP you get, which means the higher your trainer level will be. As you level up your trainer, you'll encounter Pokémon with higher CP in the wild, so it's really not worth it to power up any Pokémon at all until your trainer is around level 30.

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
Ah, actually, nope! Don't power up any of your Pokémon at the moment. Instead, trade in the Pidgeotto you've just evolved to get more candies to evolve Pidgey. D: Like I said, the more evolutions you perform, the more EXP you get, which means the higher your trainer level will be. As you level up your trainer, you'll encounter Pokémon with higher CP in the wild, so it's really not worth it to power up any Pokémon at all until your trainer is around level 30.

so just evolve the higher ones and get the candy from the lower ones and leave it at this point and don't power up the pidgettos or other pokemon?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
so just evolve the higher ones and get the candy from the lower ones and leave it at this point and don't power up the pidgettos or other pokemon?

Yep! :D But as a protip, if you evolve the higher ones and then exchange them (because you don't really need them), you can evolve the lower ones and get more EXP that way. The whole goal's to get as much EXP as possible, and it's cheaper to evolve Pidgey than it is to evolve Pidgeotto.

s3rper

How to get Free PokeCoins?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant

Merging this into Simple Q&A. To answer, the only way to get free coins is by putting a Pokémon into a gym and then pressing a button in the shop. You can get up to 100 coins a day this way (10 coins per Pokémon you currently have in a gym), but you can only press the button once every 24 hours. Hope that makes sense!