• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon GO: Simple Q&A Thread (CLICK HERE IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT BANS)

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Pokémon GO: Simple Q&A Thread (CLICK HERE IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT BANS)

Pokémon Go: Simple Q&A Thread

Please use this thread to ask about the simple stuff. Before asking, be sure to check out Serebii's official page on Pokémon GO, as the very, very basics may be covered there.

For a guide to the basics, and some tips on getting up to level 5 quicker, check out the following guide.

Otherwise, before we get started, a few of the topmost questions you probably have/the internet has asked:

Q. What device do I need to play it?
A. According to Niantic's official site:

Android
Android 4.4 to Android 6.0.1
(Android N will not supported until the official Android release)
Preferred resolution of 720x1280 pixels (Not optimized for tablet)
Strong internet connection (Wi-Fi, 3G, or 4G)
GPS and Location Services
Intel CPUs are not supported

iOS
iPhone 5+
iOS 8+
Strong internet connection (Wi-Fi, 3G, or 4G)
GPS and Location Services
Jailbroken devices are not supported

According to Google Play, also note that compatibility for Android devices is not 100% guaranteed. Check out this thread for further information!

Q. It keeps giving me an authentication error message whenever I try to log in via Trainer Club. What do I do?
Q. I keep getting a server error. What do I do?
A. These questions, at this point in time, indicate the same problem: the server is busy, or your device is having trouble connecting. Simply wait for a bit and log in later. If the problem persists, try rebooting your phone and the app and then login.

Q. Can I get banned for _______?
A. Well, if you have to ask, then yeah, probably. :p

On a serious note, here is a list of things that can get you banned (with a source, for those interested):

1. Spoofing (i.e., tweaking your GPS data in any way, including using emulators and bots, in order to make the game think you're somewhere you're not)
2. Using third-party software that accesses GO's clients/backends/general data in unauthorized manners (read: bots, Pokémon tracking software)
3. Generally intentionally making the game think you're somewhere you're not (including giving your login data to someone else to, say, catch region-locked Pokémon or take advantages of nests nowhere near you ... although, seriously, why would you do this anyway? Don't give away any of your logins, kids!)

Things that will not get you banned:

1. Going so fast your GPS flips out/having really faulty GPS so that your avatar runs around all over the place to the point where your device thinks you're going fast (although if you have the latter problem, get your phone checked)
2. Doing literally anything not mentioned in the above list

Last edited:

VolbeatYouUp

Does anyone have any info as to whether or not the HTC Desire 512 phone will work with Pokemon Go? It seems to have the same specs as the Desire 626s, which people say works fine, with a couple exceptions. If anyone has this phone or knows anything about it's relations to the game, I'd greatly appreciate a response!

Shraeder

It's Lit
Idk if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone know why when I challenge a gym the Pokemon I'm fighting against gets stuck at 1HP and the battle ends up going on infinitely until the game crashes? I've seen YouTube videos of people beating gyms so I know it's possible, but for some reason both gyms I've fought have had this glitch occur.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Idk if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone know why when I challenge a gym the Pokemon I'm fighting against gets stuck at 1HP and the battle ends up going on infinitely until the game crashes? I've seen YouTube videos of people beating gyms so I know it's possible, but for some reason both gyms I've fought have had this glitch occur.

Yeah there is a glitch that is known that does this. It even happened to me a few times today. Just have to wait for them to update it

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Alright, a little stupid question, but, i wanna know if walking/jogging on a treadmill registers as steps for hatching eggs? I do that a lot and it would be helpful, if somebody could tell me. Thank you.

Nah, bro, don't worry about seemingly stupid questions. That's why this thread's here! ;D

That said, alas, games like these rely on your GPS to track steps—meaning it doesn't actually measure physical steps you take but rather distance you walk. So if you technically stay in one place on the map (by using a treadmill, for example), the game'll think you haven't taken any steps at all.

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
Nah, bro, don't worry about seemingly stupid questions. That's why this thread's here! ;D

That said, alas, games like these rely on your GPS to track steps—meaning it doesn't actually measure physical steps you take but rather distance you walk. So if you technically stay in one place on the map (by using a treadmill, for example), the game'll think you haven't taken any steps at all.

Oh, Thank you. I just spent 30 minutes walking around the house at 3am trying to hatch an egg. Another question, i do not remember if i selected a team, how do i know if i did? Clicking on the gym only tells me i need to be level 5 before i can enter it.

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
Oh, Thank you. I just spent 30 minutes walking around the house at 3am trying to hatch an egg. Another question, i do not remember if i selected a team, how do i know if i did? Clicking on the gym only tells me i need to be level 5 before i can enter it.

You choose a team as soon as you enter a gym after you reached level 5.

Rykel22

Info Gatherer
I currently don't have a smart phone but my family has a tablet. If I get Go on the tablet, when I get my new phone, can the account on the tablet be accessed on the phone?

Grey Wind

Just to add on to this, the app will measure your speed and once you're above a certain limit it'll stop counting steps. No cheating with cars. :(

Hey there, so I opened the shop and clicked on the shield icon at the top out of curiosity, it said 2 of my pokemon are assigned and began a 24 hour countdown, I also now have 20 pokecoins for free.
I assume it's some kind of reward for taking over a gym, as 2 of my pokemon are currently controlling them.
Can anyone confirm if that's what's happening or not? Thanks

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Hey there, so I opened the shop and clicked on the shield icon at the top out of curiosity, it said 2 of my pokemon are assigned and began a 24 hour countdown, I also now have 20 pokecoins for free.
I assume it's some kind of reward for taking over a gym, as 2 of my pokemon are currently controlling them.
Can anyone confirm if that's what's happening or not? Thanks

Yep! You get a daily defender bonus for every day you keep Pokémon at a gym. The amount of goods you get as a result of this bonus increases with the number of gyms your Pokémon help defend.

mikelous

how do i get eggs

i am having issues getting eggs i have been to poke stops that are outside completely but no eggs
any ideas to help

WhiteyFox

Anyone knows what this blue glow is behind some of the Pokemon?

P.S. I hope this is the right thread to ask as I didn't want to start a new one.

Caleb_W

Anyone knows what this blue glow is behind some of the Pokemon?

P.S. I hope this is the right thread to ask as I didn't want to start a new one.

I think, and this is based on observation and cross-referencing with my journal, that it indicates a Pokemon you have caught in the past 24 hours.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
i am having issues getting eggs i have been to poke stops that are outside completely but no eggs
any ideas to help

Heyyo! Just bumped this into the Simple Q&A.

To put it simply, items you get out of Pokéstops are random. That means sometimes you get eggs, and sometimes, you don't. Your best bet to get eggs is to just keep trying and keep visiting Pokéstops.

Shellos

From the East Sea!
How do you work out the direction to a Pokèmon nearby thats show to be in range?

I found this image on Reddit that explains it well! The more footprints, the farther away the Pokemon is. Using a method of determining when steps increase/decrease can lead you to the Pokemon. It's significantly harder when trying to track down a Pokemon with three footprints though, since if you go too far it disappears completely.
Image on Imgur (would embed, but it's too large)