• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon GO: Simple Q&A Thread (CLICK HERE IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT BANS)

Aj9q

Has anyone figured out what the green particle effects that sort of looks like grass rustling or confetti are for yet? I originally thought they were pokemon locations but I could not confirm it.

lvirden

Some simple questions I hope.
Are the versions of pokemon go on iTunes and Google play legit or not? I've read articles saying game only legit in Australia and new zealand and the rest of us are using illegal copies.
If legit, do the white spots floating about mean anything?
Is there anything that a player can do when they see the green leaves to flush out pokemon?

Vipsoccermaster

Are the versions of pokemon go on iTunes and Google play legit or not? I've read articles saying game only legit in Australia and new zealand and the rest of us are using illegal copies.
The one by Niantic is legit. All others like apk are not legit and should be avoided. There are possible consequences for getting ones that aren't legit.

pokefreakceetje

The one by Niantic is legit. All others like apk are not legit and should be avoided. There are possible consequences for getting ones that aren't legit.

apkmirror.com always has the safe apk. You can use that one if you want, the others may contain malware, but apkmirror's one has the exact same md5/sha256 sum, that wouldn't be the case if it was a different apk from some shady dev, who added malware to it. Also they didn't say anything about banning users who used the official apk, but from another source. So I guess it's safe, since they only ban during field tests and when you spoof your location, so if you don't do that you're safe. Apkmirror only allows official apps and they only update when they're sure it contains no malware.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Has anyone figured out what the green particle effects that sort of looks like grass rustling or confetti are for yet? I originally thought they were pokemon locations but I could not confirm it.
I think it gives you a rough indication of where Pokemon are, but is by no means accurate.
To add to other answers, the game is officially released in the US as well, and Japan. It came out in Japan/Australia/New Zealand first, however.

Takoto

Prince of Ampora
Does anyone know if there's a specific tier list-like category for Pokémon rarity? eg. Super Common, Common, Uncommon, Rare, Super Rare, Currently Impossible to Get, etc. and if anyone's working on one? Not really important but I'm interested in seeing it if there is one.

Also, do Pokémon Gyms like... stop being controlled by you if you don't visit them after a few days? A Gym nearby me that was controlled by me for a few days, is now a neutral/uncontrolled Gym.

ffeli2098

Does anyone know how exactly the Nice, Great and Excellent catches work?
I follow what the website said to try and match the coloured circle with the white one but no matter how close I get, I haven't been able to get a Great or an Excellent. My friend got a Great throw when the circle was kind of in the middle so now I'm unsure.

Also, do Pokémon Gyms like... stop being controlled by you if you don't visit them after a few days? A Gym nearby me that was controlled by me for a few days, is now a neutral/uncontrolled Gym.

nope, the gym stays yours until your pokemon is defeated. But when defeated the gym is made empty, if it's still empty then it means no one left a pokemon at the gym after beating your pokemon.

Last edited:

shadowF

Can I delete my account and start over? I caught a charmander and Staryu and two days later it says I have not caught any Pokemon at all.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
I went to a gym yesterday that had 2 Pokémon in it. I couldn't figure out how to leave a Pokémon there. It's the same team as me, so that shouldn't have been a problem. Any insight please?

cartert4219

Ferocious Shuckle
I went to a gym yesterday that had 2 Pokémon in it. I couldn't figure out how to leave a Pokémon there. It's the same team as me, so that shouldn't have been a problem. Any insight please?

I can help. The whole game and the gym system in particular is pretty obtuse.
On that gym's display, look in the top left corner for its prestige level. If it is a level 3 for example and it already has three pokès in it, you'll have to raise its prestige to add a Pokemon. There are numbers in the top left to reflect the distance you'll need to take it. Once you raise its level of if there is already room, use the button on the bottom left to leave a Pokemon there. NOT the pokes transfer button....

it means you haven't caught it before

Hey Everyone,

Hoping to get some clarification about Special moves and evolution. On the preliminary Moves page in the Pokemon Go section it talks about moves changing during evolution to the move associated with the "coded slot". An example being that Body Slam Rattata should theoretically always become Hyper Beam Raticate since it shares the other 2 Special moves (Dig and Hyper Fang). However, I have now evolved two Body Slam Rattata and have received Hyper Fang and Dig respectively following evolution and I'm a bit confused. I know all these things are new to everyone, but can anyone explain this to me? I know Rattata are easy to come by and so are their candies, but I've now wasted 50 Rattata candies total and still don't have the Raticate I want. If I can't trust the evolution process with moves on Rattata, then I don't wanna waste my candies and evolve more difficult Pokemon that require more candies and come up dissatisfied with the end result.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this subject for me.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I've noticed the 'CP: ???' thing on Pokemon I haven't caught or sometimes Pokemon I've only caught one of, but that doesn't quite confirm it, just my own findings on that aspect. Every other Pokemon I see the CP.