• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon GO: Simple Q&A Thread (CLICK HERE IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT BANS)

Burumun

Does anyone know how pokémon are generated in an area? Is it according to demand, as in how many players are there, and possibly their levels?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Does anyone know how pokémon are generated in an area? Is it according to demand, as in how many players are there, and possibly their levels?

Basically speaking, the game spawns Pokémon in areas with high foot traffic—or, in other words, areas in which a lot of devices are located at once. It works very similarly to the way Ingress's XM works. (Quick explanation there: Ingress took into account how many devices updated their location at a specific place at once, then generated an amount of XM based on that number.) I know I said in a different thread that it's likely Pokémon spawn based on the number of players currently in the game at any given time, but upon further research, it turns out that XM and Pokémon spawn rates are literally tied together (in that places with high volumes of XM have high volumes of Pokémon), so it's likely that the process is exactly the same, with the game just pinging the number of devices update their location to a certain point at the same time.

It doesn't take into consideration levels, meanwhile. Multiple trainers at the exact same spot will find the exact same Pokémon, just with different CP (according to their levels).

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Does an unevolved pokemon's attack determine the evolved forms attack? or is it random after evolving?

Ex: Will a Squirtle with Tackle always result in a Wartortle with Bite or can the Wartortle end up with Water Gun?

Thanks

Is there a way to sort of guage what a pokemon cp will be after evolution? I'm one candy away from being able to finally evolve my 500 cp growlithe, the highest cp that I have ever encountered so far (I'm level 15). I'm thinking that maybe it will be around 700-800 cp after evolving? Since growlithe candies are difficult for me to get I've been debating about evolving this one or to hold onto my candies in case I get a higher cp at some point further down the line.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
Is there a way to sort of guage what a pokemon cp will be after evolution? I'm one candy away from being able to finally evolve my 500 cp growlithe, the highest cp that I have ever encountered so far (I'm level 15). I'm thinking that maybe it will be around 700-800 cp after evolving? Since growlithe candies are difficult for me to get I've been debating about evolving this one or to hold onto my candies in case I get a higher cp at some point further down the line.

you can try this: http://https://pokeassistant.com/main/evolver
Personally, I haven't used their evolver tool, but I really like their iv calculator. If you're only worried about CP and ignoring IVs and whatnot, what you really have to consider is how far along the CP bar is (is it close to max for your level?) and how fast you are leveling (in other words, if the CP bar is currently close to maxed out for your level, do you expect to be a higher enough level soon so that the CP bar will no longer be close to max for that pokemon and you'll be likely to find higher CP growlithes if you find growlithes on a regular basis).

man, i wish I found growlithes in my area. I've always thought Arcanine was awesome. (I mean, it even has the nickname "the legendary pokemon" despite not being a legendary.) My only growlithe I've gotten from an egg. Anyways, good luck. :)

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Is there anywhere on the interwebs that would happen to have percentages for what can hatch out of eggs. I figure it's all the same percentage, but wanting to double check for exclusives.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
So, I recently noticed the powers of a number of moves have just been changed. Like, body slam used to have a power of 50 and now it's 40. As of this posting, serebii.net hasn't updated the moves page, and I was wondering if the duration listed there is still accurate? Is there anyone here who has a way of checking?

Team_Lugia

How important is team choice?

I am level 17 and have not yet chosen a team. I had a bit of pokexistentialism in the beginning, and then got into a habit of not tapping on gyms. How much of a difference does having a team make?

Is there any advantage of one over the other? Can one remain team-less for long?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I am level 17 and have not yet chosen a team. I had a bit of pokexistentialism in the beginning, and then got into a habit of not tapping on gyms. How much of a difference does having a team make?

Is there any advantage of one over the other? Can one remain team-less for long?

Merging this into Simple Q&A because the answer's pretty simple, and it's ... kinda sorta. Fighting in gyms does give you a bit of XP, and if you get a Pokémon on a gym, you can collect Pokécoins.

HOWEVER!

- The XP you earn isn't as big of a chunk as what you get from catching or evolving Pokémon. You earn 150 XP for the first Pokémon defeated, then an extra 100 for every Pokémon after that (so defeating two nets you 250, three nets you 350, and so forth). Training, meanwhile, nets you 50 XP per Pokémon defeated, but you can only use one Pokémon to battle a gym controlled by your own team.
- You earn 10 Pokécoins per Pokémon on a gym, with a maximum 100 Pokécoins obtainable per day. However, there's an asterisk to this. You can only hit the button that lets you collect coins once per twenty-four hours, the button only counts the number of Pokémon you currently have on gyms, and gyms change hands frequently. That all means that by the time you get to your second gym and put a Pokémon up, your first one may be defeated, which means hitting the button will only give you 10 coins, rather than 20—and you won't be able to hit the button again until the next day.

So in short the main benefit to joining a team isn't too drastic a benefit, ngl.

Otherwise, all the other benefits that teams are rumored to confer (any kind of modification to catching Pokémon or earning XP, their link to the legendaries, and so on) are pretty much rumors at the moment. You could literally go through the entire game without picking a team, and you'll basically be able to level up and catch Pokémon just as easily as anyone else.

Of course, that's all on a technical level. Gyms are another part of the game, as is socializing with the rest of your team (or having friendly rivalries with your "enemies"), so you kinda miss out a little on that. But! If you're not that interest in gyms or the memes associated with teams, then you can still enjoy the game just the same. Most folks you'll encounter in real life don't even take the team rivalry thing seriously, so you'll still be able to hang out with people without really missing the team element all that much (unlike in Ingress, lmao).

Good luck! If you choose not to pick a team, keep us updated on how you do in the recent happenings thread? ;D

Last edited:

dbmeboy

Has anyone solved how to predict post-evolution moves yet? I just caught my 2nd Kadabra and it's a much higher level than the first one (541 vs 110) but has worse moves (Confusion vs Psycho Cut, both have Dazzling Gleam). I mean, for now I can hold on to both of them because I still need 80 candies to evolve one, but eventually I'll need to predict which to evolve.

Dukkee

So, I'm not sure where to post this, but I noticed a discrepancy with the updated move data on the site. I have mud shot on two of my pokémon, and it's still listed as 6 power.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
So, I'm not sure where to post this, but I noticed a discrepancy with the updated move data on the site. I have mud shot on two of my pokémon, and it's still listed as 6 power.

You're gonna want to contact Serebii or consult this thread for that. The mod team doesn't have access to the site, which means we don't have control over what goes on there, and Serebii doesn't really check this thread (afaik). This thread, meanwhile, is only for simple questions concerning in-game issues, not for site corrections and so forth. Sorry!

Keep in mind, though, that the move changes (and other things) are still pretty new, and Serebii is currently working on server issues. So it's kiiiiiinda understandable that the move database (among other things in the GO section of the site) haven't been updated.

sahil23

So I just discovered IV values, and turns out the Dragonair i caught at lvl7 has an IV value of 91.1%, with 15 Attack, 11 Defense, 15 Stamina, but only 76 CP and 22HP.
I previously doubted as to if i should save candies and evolve a 245CP, 38HP Dratini which i caught recently (86.7% IV, with 15 Attack, 9 Defense, 15 Stamina), but now i have no idea if i should directly use 100 candies to evolve Dragonair to a low CP but high IV dragonite, or use 25 more candies to evolve my higher CP dratini for a higher CP final Dragonite...

Pro players please reply fast :D

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
So I just discovered IV values, and turns out the Dragonair i caught at lvl7 has an IV value of 91.1%, with 15 Attack, 11 Defense, 15 Stamina, but only 76 CP and 22HP.
I previously doubted as to if i should save candies and evolve a 245CP, 38HP Dratini which i caught recently (86.7% IV, with 15 Attack, 9 Defense, 15 Stamina), but now i have no idea if i should directly use 100 candies to evolve Dragonair to a low CP but high IV dragonite, or use 25 more candies to evolve my higher CP dratini for a higher CP final Dragonite...

Pro players please reply fast :D

Well, I wouldn't really consider myself a pro, but I would probably recommend saving both pokemon for the time being, as well as saving up all your candies (and not powering up) until your pokemon are in their final form. Evolve the dragonair first, since the iv's determine what the max CP and HP of a pokemon are, and with the 25 candies you need to evolve the dratini you can close at least a good portion of the gap in level anyways. If the resulting dragonite has the moves you want, power it up. If not, save it (you may have a battle where you want those moves over the generally more powerful ones, and it could be good for trading later, so might as well), put it aside for the moment, and work towards saving up candies for evolving the dratini.

As a general note, another reason to save candies and not power up until a pokemon is in it's final form, besides not knowing what moves a pokemon will end up with, is that it's always possible you'll catch a pokemon with even higher iv's while saving up candies for evolution. In your case, you'd have to be very lucky for that to happen because you already have near-perfect IVs on a generally rare pokemon, but it's always a possibility.

sahil2312

Thanks, and you do seem like a pro, no need to be humble about that xD
So I can only choose when I catch 32 dratini/dragonairs and acquire 125 candies
Also, is there any app that can predict my dragonairs cp when I power it up 25 times?

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
Thanks, and you do seem like a pro, no need to be humble about that xD
So I can only choose when I catch 32 dratini/dragonairs and acquire 125 candies
Also, is there any app that can predict my dragonairs cp when I power it up 25 times?

haha, nah, I just tend to get a bit obsessive about things I'm into and dig up lots of information and overthink things. Like, when it comes to kimono, another interest of mine, I could tell you lots of interesting facts and useful sites I've dug up from lots of places, but can only actually do a little bit when it comes to putting one on myself.

But anyways, to answer your second question, as far as I can tell, no one has made a calculator for that yet. You could try calculating it by hand using the information in this page, though: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4t7r4d/exact_pokemon_cp_formula/

Also, one thing to note is that you probably won't be able to power up your pokemon exactly 25 times with 25 candies, since at higher pokemon levels it can take more than 1 candy to do a powerup. I'm not sure exactly when it starts happening or what the scale is, as I haven't kept track and a quick search isn't yielding results (though you can check more and see if you can find something, or maybe someone else here knows). I'm trainer level 20, and I've seen some of my pokemon take 2 candies for powerups, but not beyond that yet.

Edit: if you can figure out how many powerups you can do with 25 candies, and are okay with just a range of cp based on level, you can take a look at this http://serebii.net/pokemongo/pokemon/148.shtml, which gives ranges of possible cp and hp at a given # of total powerups. Note that a pokemon "level" (not a trainer level), is two powerups. You might also be interested in evolution calculators, such as this one https://pokeassistant.com/main/evolver. I haven't used their evolution calculator, but I like iv one.

Last edited:
Can you have more than nine eggs? Ive never had more than nine and after I've hatched two or so eggs I'll find more eggs but I don't seem to find anymore once I'm back up to nine again.