• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon GO: Simple Q&A Thread (CLICK HERE IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT BANS)

poe_keeper

It looks like Darkrai has a higher CP (53623) than Mewtwo so not sure what my chances are this time. I see 3 gyms near me but it does not appear to be a shiny. Will it only shine when I enter the gym or can you tell from simply tapping on the gym from a distance?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You won a T5 Raid without coordinating with other players first? I admit that's impressive. In my place we always have some coordination about which one we will Raid together and meet together in one place.

If there's enough foot traffic in your area, it's really no big deal. On my large college campus, I can just show up at the start of any Legendary Raid, and people will almost certainly be there. Just did that today with a Darkrai.

It looks like Darkrai has a higher CP (53623) than Mewtwo so not sure what my chances are this time.

Don't pay any attention to the CP for Raid bosses, it's meaningless. Darkrai should actually be easier than Armored Mewtwo, as Armored Mewtwo has a higher defense than Darkrai, and defense is the primary determining factor of how hard a Raid is. The thing is, Pokémon with high defense and low attack have lower CP than Pokémon with low defense and high attack, meaning that more often than not, the CP number is actually misleading when it comes to how difficult the boss is.

And regardless, I kind of said this before, but how strong you are personally really doesn't matter. As long as you're in a group of five or six people, you'll be able to beat just about anything.

Will it only shine when I enter the gym or can you tell from simply tapping on the gym from a distance?

You won't know if it's Shiny or not until you defeat it and enter the capture sequence. Before that, it will always show as normal.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Is the Ultra League unlockable this battle season? I'm currently at rank 7 with a rank of 1376, & I'm still only able to access the Great League.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Is the Ultra League unlockable this battle season? I'm currently at rank 7 with a rank of 1376, & I'm still only able to access the Great League.

The Go Battle League switches between the three types of leagues as the month goes on. They will eventually switch from Great League to Ultra League, I have no idea when.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Do other pokemon occasionally pop up during Community Day besides the main one being featured? This is my first Community Day so I wanted to get a general idea of what to expect

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Do other pokemon occasionally pop up during Community Day besides the main one being featured? This is my first Community Day so I wanted to get a general idea of what to expect

In a regular Community Day, you'll see other Pokémon too. It will be something like 80-90% Community Day Pokémon. Of course, with Niantic changing things for this Community Day in an attempt to get people to play at home, my guess is that they'll boost the Abra spawns even further. Maybe not, but that's my bet.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Wasn’t the season 1 Battle League supposed to end today? For some reason I’m still at ranked 7 & the game says it’s going to last for 10 more days

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Wasn’t the season 1 Battle League supposed to end today? For some reason I’m still at ranked 7 & the game says it’s going to last for 10 more days

Niantic announced last night that they were having technical difficulties and had to postpone the start of the next season. I do not remember when they said it would start, but if I had to guess, the ten day counter is probably accurate.

springtrap

For some reason my whole style and item shop is just blank. Theres nothing to click on besides poses. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling and it didnt help. I'm not sure what to do.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm new at GO, so I want to know how exactly I get field research. I know I am supposed to spin the Pokestops, but how will I identify said research?

Also, advice; how high should my level and CP should be before I go after one of those legendary raids? Do I need some other item to achieve it?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm new at GO, so I want to know how exactly I get field research. I know I am supposed to spin the Pokestops, but how will I identify said research?

You can't know what PokéStop has what field research until you spin it, and the research is added to your research section (the binoculars). You can only hold four field research tasks at a time, three from PokéStops, plus a bonus one given to you once a day.

Also, advice; how high should my level and CP should be before I go after one of those legendary raids? Do I need some other item to achieve it?

Honestly, it doesn't really matter. Legendary Raids are impossible to defeat by yourself. In order to beat them, you need to join a group of about 4-6 people at minimum. If you're in a large enough group, the other trainers will carry you, so it doesn't matter how strong your stuff is. How strong you are only really matters if you're trying to beat it with the minimum amount of people, in which case you're going to want to have Pokémon in the 2,500+, if not 3,000+ CP range. You probably won't be getting Pokémon that strong until you're around level 30.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How do I go about getting candy from my Buddy? Is it that I should increase affection and thus increase likelihood of them getting a candy?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Wasn't the Unova week event supposed to start today at 1? The only special pokemon I can see so far are the ones from the space theme

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I need to know: how do I make friends with others, so I can do things like trade and send gifts? Also, when going after raids there's this egg that shows up. What does that mean? Can I get access to fighting this "egg", and if so how?

Ghost94

How do I go about getting candy from my Buddy? Is it that I should increase affection and thus increase likelihood of them getting a candy?
Feed your buddy Pokémon berries or a poffin so that it will appear on the map, then walk about the required distanced displayed on the buddy summary screen(1km, 3km, etc).

I need to know: how do I make friends with others, so I can do things like trade and send gifts? Also, when going after raids there's this egg that shows up. What does that mean? Can I get access to fighting this "egg", and if so how?
Add another players friend code then wait for them to accept your friend request or vice-versa. You can add friends or find your own friend code by tapping your trainer icon on the bottom left of the map then by swiping left to the friends screen and tapping the “add friend” button.

The eggs you’re referring to are raid bosses which have not yet hatched. There will be a timer above them which indicates when the egg will hatch. On the raid page it’ll display the time of hatch.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How do I throw a curveball?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

All you need to do to get a candy is walk is certain amount of distance, as determined by the Pokemon's species. You do not need to feed your buddy and have it follow you on the map first. On your buddy menu, there will be a bar that shows the distance you've walked with it since you got the last candy out of how much you need to walk to earn your next candy.

Wasn't the Unova week event supposed to start today at 1? The only special pokemon I can see so far are the ones from the space theme

You probably don't need an answer to this anymore, but it as 1:00 Pacific Standard Time. If you live anywhere else but the west coast of North America, then you'll be having the event start at a different time.

How do I throw a curveball?

Just spin the Pokeball in a circle before releasing it. They're a little hard to make them land properly, but if you practice where you release the ball for a little while, you should be able to figure out how to aim them.