• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver New Sprite Discussion

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
^I know. Shame, isn't it? Oh well...

Anyways, on to the new ones. Jolteon looks a bit weird, but it just needs some getting used to. Blastoise looks a bit porky. Meganium looks a lot better, though! And Mew is just adorable.

I found that Noctowl animation hilarious. WHEEEEEEEEE!!!

The following sprites are brilliant! Poryon, Butterfree and Mew are so cute! And Shellos inspired me to catch my shiny one.

Speaking of which, Lugia and Ho-oh actually shrink. In their pre-battle sprites, they're enormous, but when they follow you, they're a bit smaller. THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING SWAN AND MACAW!!!

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
what? oh,wow. funny.
i'm impressed with the following: Typhlosion, Pikachu, Pidgeot (much, much better) Suicune, and Dragonite.
i'm not even gonna start on my list of the ones i'm NOT impressed with.

chiper12

Artsy Smeargle
Not a fan of the new smeargle animation, but the overworld sprite is cute. Trotting, hehe.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
List of bad sprites:
Clefairy - it looks too round
Tentacruel - too many tentacles.
Tangela - more oval than previous sprites.
Rhyhorn/Rhydon - the color pallette they used is really strange
Goldeen - fins aren't spread out enough
Mr. Mime - his "ears" are too pointed
Electabuzz - his right arm ruins the sprite
Magmar - just no
Pinsir - his forearms are too long
Vaporeon - his tail shouldn't be stretched out
Moltres - shouldn't stand on its feet, they're way too thin compared to Articuno
Murkrow - his wings are too fluffy, and his body is too small
Heracross - he's too chubby
Steelix - his body angle is awkward
Kingdra - too thin
Phanpy - his nose makes him look triangular
Ho-Oh - Should have gotten a better sprite, its basically the DPPt second frame

/rant.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Ho-oh needs to have a better sprite. To this day his best sprite is the one he had back in Silver version.

Master_of_grass

War Never Changes
you serious about steelix and magmar they are probably amongst the most improved sprites since platinum i hated Steelix back in platinum but his new sprite is just fierce. I'm still in a deeply hateful relationship with Pidgeot's back sprite. Ursaring is just brilliant although i feel that his back sprite could of done with a tweak to completement the pose of his front sprite. and I'm just in love with the Totodile lines sprites

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Nah, the best Magmar/Steelix sprites are from Platinum.

I also very dislike Pidgeots back sprite though.

Totodile is good, but Feraligatr is too spikey.

Red Charizard

Current Love: Sinnoh
They finally got Charizard's sprite right! He is no longer obese :U

I love the Char Family's sprites and Typhlosions animation is to die for~<3

ForteAnly

I agree. They should've atleast done something with the 3rd gen pokemon. It almost feels like the 3rd gen pokemon don't matter.

I wouldn't worry too much about 3rd gen. It's two more years until they reach their 10th anniversary. You never know they might get a remake.

BLADEDGE

loves a puzzle
That is SOOO AWESOME!!! I can't wait to use one in my SS team! I always liked Noctowl.

I acualy use the 4 reagons flying pokemon on my team for use of transport

tharjaandme

Trash Mainer
I love how the entire Ghastly family is like, "IMA EACHU!"
tenticle!
hahahaha

I'm liking Vulpix, Vaporeon, and Glaceon a lot, so I can't really complain.
Except R.I.P Jolteon. No sprite will ever live up to your R/B one.

Satoshi 91

I wouldn't worry too much about 3rd gen. It's two more years until they reach their 10th anniversary. You never know they might get a remake.

If they do remake Ruby and Sapphie, I hope it's on the next DS, or else we'll have 4 generations on one console. But hey, anything can happen.

On topic: In general the new sprites are awesome, little disappointed the 3rd gen are still the same but I wasn't expecting them to change anything. Although, there are a couple of bad ones, not really a fan of the new Mewtwo one but it could be worse. Eg. Ho-oh and Lugia; they're terrible.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
^Really you don't like Lugia?

I think its his best sprite.

As for Hooh, I agree, its a piece of crap.

Btw, Glaceon didn't get a new HGSS sprite, it only got one for Pt.

Guns

Liking Sabrina's, Misty's, Falkner's, and Morty's looks the most. Everyone elses are good, but those four stand out the most.

Daimona

Hero of Truth
too right, silver was the only version that's differed from the norm and had ho-oh doing a different pose to the very similar ones we've had over the years.

Couldn't agree more, why are GF so chicken when it comes to Ho-oh? Lugia had several different poses over the years and the recent one is one of the boldest yet... So why not revamp Ho-oh too?

I kinda wish they would have done new sprites for the 4th gen evos of the old kanto and johto pokemon, but you can't have everything :/

rocky505

Mewtwo has one of the worst. it looks like it has a broken arm -_- Houndoom got worse. Lugia's is pretty tight.

navy1453

lugia has always looked awesome....ho-ho....not so much...and your right rocky..mewtwo looks strange