• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Home

I really don't see the issue. We all know the Pokedex is getting too large.

Let's say Skarmory isn't in the Galar Dex. (One of my favourites, and it looks like we might not have it with Corviknight instead.) You can't transfer over a Skarmory, breed it and take it through your adventure etc.

So what? Who was going to do that anyway? Pretty much everyone plays through the game with the regional dex. I don't think even hardcore Skarmory fans are trading it over so they can play with one.

I'll be perfectly happy if some of my favourites are unavailable. Now that we have Bank / Home, I wasn't going to trade them over anyway. I might catch and train my favourites if they're in the Galar Dex, but I'll mostly stick to new Pokemon like Corviknight.

Anecdata, but everyone I've mentioned this to IRL has had a similar response. It feels like a vocal minority of the fanbase is upset, and not for a really practical reason.
I actually do this during second playthroughs where I do a monotype run or avatar challenge. Plus I'll hate seeing my living dex and shiny collection just sitting on pokemon home. Masuda Methoding non-Galar dex pokemon will also be impossible in Sword/Shield and let's just hope Ditto will be in the regional dex altogether or breeding will become a nightmare.

I studied IT since 16 years old, and worked in Software Development for almost 7 years now. And even the me from 10 years ago can confidently tell you that GameFreak's migration policy is not sustainable forever. To me, it is a miracle that they allowed it all the way to Generation 7. In all honesty, I really though they would have done this back in XY when they started constructing the 3D models, but no, they surprised me and far exceeded my expectations when they allowed full migration from non-3D to 3D.

I can't say I fully support their policy on not allowing the National Dex, but rather I fully understand why it is not feasible. I am not saying it is technically impossible, but I am saying that it is unfeasible in a business standpoint.

To break this down, if all Pokemon were to be allowed to migrated for every Pokemon game, GF would have a huge backlog of work to do before they even start developing the new game.

Let's take it that they are able to reuse the 3D models from XY. For each game, they usually reshade the models, they have to come up with new movesets, new Pokedex entry, test that animation model matches the any new moves, give them their Dynamax model and make it they don't screw up the screen, imagine wailord covering the entire screen and you can't see anything, that isn't good.

We have 809 Pokemon now... if it they spend 20 hours on each Pokemon (as believe me, it will make more than 20 hours per Pokemon, this is just a bare minimum estimate. I mean just going their movesets and updating their moves, and getting your boss to review and approve is gonna take like 8 hours already... @_@)

809 x 20 hours, that's already 160000 hours of work before the game starts development at minimum, it usually takes 50% more time, that is uncounted, because people work overtime, and I do not know if they get paid for it.

But, but Nintendo and GameFreak are freaking rich, they can hire more people. There are problems with this too. More people means more clutter, person A submits a work, person B submits a work, person C submits a work, the more separate pieces of work that are produce, it takes more effort to integrate them together and ensure their quality and that they are coherent, it will take more time to review and test the work. Also, are you willing to pay more for National Dex each game?

I can fully understand why GF had to do what they had to do, though it is an unpopular decision.

Thank you. As someone said before, i don't like it, but i understand it. As a former shiny hunter, i didn't like it at all that S&M didn't had a National Dex, so there was no point of having all my shinys in one game to have a living ShinyDex (Not that i was close), but i get that somethimes you need to take hard and inpopular choices in de development os a product.
Maybe is because of that, or that i'm not a competitive player, that this choice doesn't really upset me. I have completed my Pokedex for the first time on X/Y, month after realease, so as a veteran, i don't see much challenge in catching all of them again just to complete something that i already have: X/Y, S/M, Pokebank, Home, it does't really matter where, 99% of my Pokemon would be ther, just sitting. I don't like it, but maybe Pokemon Home would suprise us, i don't really think that they going to throw just a Pokebank 2.0.
Having a huge amount of pokemon, that growth generation after generation, was going to be problematic almost since gen 2-3, complete the Pokedex wasn't something that somebody could do by itself, and it's get harder and harder for new players even with the easy ways to trade that we have now. I really hoper that this is temporal, and a remake of Diamond & Pearl could bring back the rest, or they could just update the game, after all, the Switch is no 3DS, and they don't have any excuse to update it or make 3rd versions instead.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Nintendo / Game Freak did this in order to help balance the competitive VGC meta
they literally said it was because of time constraints and they wanted to focus on the quality of Pokemon in the games

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
they literally said it was because of time constraints and they wanted to focus on the quality of Pokemon in the games
They mentioned both animations being costly and the battle balance. However they never clarified what kind of battle balance they were talking about. Balance between pokémon in story mode (where stuff like level-up moves, at which level they become available, and evolution levels are very important) is entirely different from the balance in VGC where people just Heart Scale on all the moves.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
"balance" right, punish millions for a couple hundred of fans. That's bad marketing -.-

3DSRed

Alias RedAgent14
My (relatively optimistic) take on Pokémon Home:
What I could see being potentially done is having Home be a "hub" of sorts for future Pokémon titles, with the app itself having storage, battle, and trading features (applying whatever changes to the battle animations Sw/Sh makes to all 800+ pokémon sounds much more feasible in a setting with little to no out-of-battle animations). If this is the case, an in-Home competitive scene could hypothetically form (assuming the Switch and mobile versions become cross-compatible and feature-parity between the two versions is maintained) and the main games themselves could shift the focus more on their unique story/region.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Erron Black said:

I can understand the time constraint excuse, but I'm not quite sure what they meant by that last part. If Game Freak meant that they're working harder on designing new Pokemon, then I really hope that the remaining Gen VIII Pokemon are breathtakingly amazing. That's the only way that I could forgive their decision to basically ax a ton of older Pokemon.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
"balance" right, punish millions for a couple hundred of fans. That's bad marketing -.-
I was hating on the balance argument yesterday too, you can still find posts from me on that. But thinking about it some more I'm not sure if Masuda actually means balance from the competitive battling side, or more of an in-game story side. The latter would affect far more players, and there are balance issues there too. Noibat for instance really should have gotten a middle stage before getting to Noivern, it has stats comparable to Pidgey yet it doesn't evolve until level 48. For a huge chunk of the story it's horribly underpowered simply because everything else is evolving around it. Ekans and Arbok are physical poison types, yet they don't get a single physical poison move by level-up aside from Poison Sting (which has absolute crap damage even on super effective hits) and Gunk Shot which comes at level 63, way late. Poison Jab is a TM move that is also available, but only in late game. A move like Poison Fang (which it currently gets by breeding with Seviper) at around level 25 would be a big change for it, better damage, better poison chance, stronger poison infliction compared to Poison Sting. These are hindrances that are still somewhat commonplace among older pokémon, although it slowly got better over the generations. Back in the days of Crystal there were plenty of pokémon with absolute crap level-up movesets, like Gligar not getting a single STAB move by either TM or level-up. Cleaning all of that up and getting them up to standards for playthroughs can be quite a lot of work.

Last edited:

DannyDark

Story mode Pokemon don't particularly need balance though.. the games simply aren't difficult enough to warrant it. You can effectively get through the story of any main series Pokemon game with a team that know below-average moves, especially if they're overleveled by the exp share. It's still absolutely not a valid reason for the limitations they're putting on the games.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Story mode Pokemon don't particularly need balance though.. the games simply aren't difficult enough to warrant it. You can effectively get through the story of any main series Pokemon game with a team that know below-average moves, especially if they're overleveled by the exp share. It's still absolutely not a valid reason for the limitations they're putting on the games.
I think they do need at least a bit of balance to at least make the experience roughly on equal footing regardless of which pokémon you pick. The difference right now between going with Alolan Grimer or going with an Ekans as your poison type is quite massive.

DannyDark

I think they do need at least a bit of balance to at least make the experience roughly on equal footing regardless of which pokémon you pick. The difference right now between going with Alolan Grimer or going with an Ekans as your poison type is quite massive.

I mean no Pokemon, from Level 1-100, can't learn just Splash, that would be entirely useless.
But you're arguing for uniform, at-least-somewhat equal usefulness of all Pokemon as opposed to individuality.. Like, I absolutely adore using Spinda in part because they are so useless, it's part of the charm of the Pokemon. If Spinda suddenly received better stats and a much improved movepool I would honestly love it a little less.

Terrysaurus

idk what ya all say i got bored seeing LandoT,chansey,ferrothorn, garchomp, greninja,serperior,rotomW,volcarona,weavile and others whenever i go battle someone. they introduced z stones and ppl would still use the curselax set which is 3 trillion years old and even ants know about instead of using pulverizing pancake. ppl dont like change very much. they tried to bring new concepts like terrains yet ppl still play conventionally and safe than risk and use the wide variety of things they programmed. Of course i dont think that they bring that change in the system is so as to force their ideals about battling on us but imo i dont mind the change. the game was getting pretty boring and i had stopped battling for a while because i kept seeing the same mons over and over.
on the other hand, while introducing new pokemon does make things interesting, limiting pokemon variety will end up making us bored after a while AGAIN
:V kinda paradoxical.

Pokemon Power

I'm gonna be honest, despite what Serebii says, I haven't seen any sign of the Roggenrola, Drifloon, or Wimpod evolutionary families in gameplay or the website for Pokemon Sword and Shield. Does anyone have a source that confirms their presence?

Drakoflash1

Pokemon Master
I'm honestly kind of sad I won't be able to bring my old pokemon along. It's rough seeing that all my pokemon that have travelled with me for most of my life won't come with me on this adventure. At least for me, it lowers the replayability for me. I know most people don't care and I'm probably in the minority (vocal, but minority) but it just kinda kills my hype for the game.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I'm honestly kind of sad I won't be able to bring my old pokemon along. It's rough seeing that all my pokemon that have travelled with me for most of my life won't come with me on this adventure. At least for me, it lowers the replayability for me. I know most people don't care and I'm probably in the minority (vocal, but minority) but it just kinda kills my hype for the game.
Pretty sure you're not in the minority. 67% dislikes on the SwSh 31-minute gameplay vid, as well as #BringBackNationalPokedex trending worldwide.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I'm gonna be honest, despite what Serebii says, I haven't seen any sign of the Roggenrola, Drifloon, or Wimpod evolutionary families in gameplay or the website for Pokemon Sword and Shield. Does anyone have a source that confirms their presence?
Don’t think they have been showcased in any gameplay footage. We still have five months before the games’ release so all we can hope for is that they appear in some way in future gameplay showcases.

BCVM22

That petition isn’t worth a thing, as are the notions that A. it’s something anyone in a position to do something about it will see, and B. that it’s sort of thing that would be changed by a petition if they did see it. Don’t waste your time.