• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Home

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'll be really surprised if the whole "you can only transfer Pokemon from Pokemon Home if they're in the Galar Pokedex" restriction stays in place. I think it was Masuda who expressed disappointment in an interview a while back regarding Game Freak not taking the time to find a method of transferring Pokemon between the Gen II and Gen III games, so it'd be really hypocritical for the company to essentially build a roadblock in Gen VIII that prevents certain older Pokemon from being transferred into Shield and Sword.

Poke Trainer J

VGC is such a miniscule percentage that this reason is absolutely bs. To balance the power creep, deny the opportunity for all other causal players to be able to transfer their Pokémon from previous games? Especially since they promoted Pokémon Home as the upgrade to Bank, and now it's pointless since your Pokémon can't even be transferred. If they wanted to level the playing field for VGC, maybe they should add more restrictions or something within the actual VGC. Why should others pay the price for a VGC shake up?
How else were they going to close the power gap when eventually there wouldn't be enough memory and data to contain every single Pokémon in the National PokéDex? I'll give them credit for adding less brand new Pokémon in each region though I think they've probably come to the realization that it's creating a snowball effect in which the Nintendo Switch might not be able to contain.

Last edited:

JW1004

How else were they going to close the power gap when eventually there wouldn't be enough memory and data to contain every single Pokémon in the National PokéDex? I'll give them credit for adding less brand new Pokémon in each region though I think they've probably come to the realization that it's creating a snowball effect in which the Nintendo Switch might not be able to contain.
How long has this franchise been active and doing their thing now? I mean you can't do anything in your power to make everything available in Generation 7, including Virtual Console to technically be able to sent Pokémon from every gen if you have a game from every gen, only to backtrack and only make a selection available in the next gen. And what is the point of the 'Home' concept if you basically just can use it as a dead storage of things you can't do anything with anymore? I get your point that they want to find solutions for the ever growing roster of Pokémon, but they did that to themselves aswell. And the worst part is that Pokémon Go probably will keep being expanded and in the end you basically can use everything in those games, while players of the actual Switch games will be left with a limited roster. The problem really is that over the years every player of this game has build a preference for a selection of Mon and yes it is not bad to shake things up once in a while, but there still should be an option to also have yoour favourites by your side if you want to.
I mean they got backlash when they limited the options in gen III and had to add Gen I remakes and competability with Colloseum and XD to be able to complete your dex.
They got backlash in generation 5 that you were limited to only a complete new roster of Mon, and only be able to sent over Mon post-game, and tried to fix that with the sequel instalments.
Now we are at generation 8 and once again they are limiting the roster, and again a lot of people hate that idea, so yeah...

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
In regards to the recent announcement at E3 2019 that only Galar region Pokémon are transferable to Sword & Shield, let me just point out that Nintendo / Game Freak did this in order to help balance the competitive VGC meta due to the power creep from Mega Evolutions and Ultra Beasts in Gen 6 and Gen 7 which they realized was a mistake to begin with. That and everyone was using the exact same Pokémon on their teams to the point where matches became too predictable so they figured If they restricted teams toward Pokémon only available in the Galar PokéDex it would add more creativity by shaking up the meta.

I mean you can't really blame them for it since they had incredible difficulty coming up with a solution to close the power gap between Pokémon whose base stats weren't able to compete with Mega Evolutions and Ultra Beasts to begin with when Dynamax itself was never really intended to solve the issue in the first place. Most people are only going into this from a casual players perspective when Nintendo / Game Freak already covered that in Let's Go Pikachu! / Let's Go Eevee! as Sword & Shield was to some extent designed with VGC in mind going forward.
I won't deny that the balance is off at certain places, but that balance is off at completely different places in different formats. Incineroar is broken in doubles formats, Hoenn legendaries are in VGC, but entirely different things are broken in a 1v1 setting like Breakneck Blitz Porygon-Z. You don't fix the balance of the meta by just kicking out a bunch of stuff, especially since it's highly doubtful that the things they're kicking out were the things broken in the first place.

Like, just nerf Intimidate to only affect one random opponent, or only activate when at full health, or only against targets smaller than you, or whatever, and you bring Incineroar and Salamence and Landorus way back down.
Make Hoenn legendaries Primal weather removable by conventional means, or make Zygarde a bit more viable on the special side and remove Ice Beam from Kyogre. If Land's Wrath were special and Core Enforcer would also work if Zygarde attacks first and it wouldn't have to fear Kyogre's Ice Beam it might actually be somewhat viable. Zygarde is one of those pokemon with tools to shake up the meta like Aura Break to stop Xerneas and Core Enforcer to remove abilities, but then it's weak to Fairy and Ices so in practice it just doesn't work at all.
Nerf Tapus a bit by shortening the time of an active terrain from a surge by a turn and spread the terrain moves a bit wider through tutors.
All of this isn't particularly difficult. They've made changes for balance quite a bit, like nerfing Parental Bond and removing Kangaskhan's Power-Up Punch. Axing pokemon entirely from the game doesn't help things at all.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
In regards to the recent announcement at E3 2019 that only Galar region Pokémon are transferable to Sword & Shield, let me just point out that Nintendo / Game Freak did this in order to help balance the competitive VGC meta due to the power creep from Mega Evolutions and Ultra Beasts in Gen 6 and Gen 7 which they realized was a mistake to begin with. That and everyone was using the exact same Pokémon on their teams to the point where matches became too predictable so they figured If they restricted teams toward Pokémon only available in the Galar PokéDex it would add more creativity by shaking up the meta.

I mean you can't really blame them for it since they had incredible difficulty coming up with a solution to close the power gap between Pokémon whose base stats weren't able to compete with Mega Evolutions and Ultra Beasts to begin with when Dynamax itself was never really intended to solve the issue in the first place. Most people are only going into this from a casual players perspective when Nintendo / Game Freak already covered that in Let's Go Pikachu! / Let's Go Eevee! as Sword & Shield was to some extent designed with VGC in mind going forward.
That’s no excuse. All they had to do was simply restrict VGC to only allow the Pokémon in the Galar PokeDex to be used. And VGC will still be stale as people will still end up using the exact same Pokémon as each other. Just because Lando-T might not be there doesn’t mean some other ridiculously common VGC Pokémon won’t be. Cutting Pokémon from the game entirely doesn’t fix anything.

Poke Trainer J

That’s no excuse. All they had to do was simply restrict VGC to only allow the Pokémon in the Galar PokeDex to be used. And VGC will still be stale as people will still end up using the exact same Pokémon as each other. Just because Lando-T might not be there doesn’t mean some other ridiculously common VGC Pokémon won’t be. Cutting Pokémon from the game entirely doesn’t fix anything.
It depends on what old Pokémon they keep in the Galar PokéDex and which ones they'll leave out. It sort of gives Nintendo / Game Freak a way to "rotate out" specific Pokémon that are problematic for VGC in which they can "rotate in" specific Pokémon within the next game release If they choose to do so. Think of it as to how Konami bans and unbans cards in Yu-Gi-Oh! as a way to "balance" the meta in Advanced format even though the TCG is already busted to begin with.

Just to echo in here that any notion that this is due to balancing for competitive or the single player game is ridiculous.

Any competitive battler knows they have always used restrictions for battling. I mean only in Sun and Moon you could only use the Alolan Dex for a long time, but all other Pokémon were available in game!

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
It depends on what old Pokémon they keep in the Galar PokéDex and which ones they'll leave out. It sort of gives Nintendo / Game Freak a way to "rotate out" specific Pokémon that are problematic for VGC in which they can "rotate in" specific Pokémon within the next game release If they choose to do so. Think of it as to how Konami bans and unbans cards in Yu-Gi-Oh! as a way to "balance" the meta in Advanced format even though the TCG is already busted to begin with.
I can understand that but that’s still no reason to remove Pokémon from the games entirely. If I want to play through the game with my favourites I should be able to even if they can’t be obtained without transfer.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Poke Trainer J said:

I question if the decision to exclude some Pokemon from Shield and Sword was really due to the Switch's data limits, though. I can't imagine that programming every single Pokemon would take up that much data to be honest. But if that somehow is the case, I wish that Game Freak would've just made room by scaling back the graphics to save data instead of cutting corners with the available amount of Pokemon.

Poke Trainer J

Nope.

Turns out it was all due to a new policy shift going forward starting with Sword & Shield. As Junichi Masuda himself stated:

"The Pokémon that will appear will be specially selected to fit the stage of adventure".

Terrysaurus

isnt Switch a new console? Why does it got data limitations then?
Seriously, GF said they pushed the 3DS capabilities to its limits with usum so now that they got new console to work with they bring up data limitations? :V
Someone mentioned the snowball effect with the pokedex and its true that instead of carrying data about pokemon that no one uses it might be better to discard em and work on making the game better. i just hope that they put their data to good use and programmed lots of stuff to keep us occupied instead of being lazy and blame data limits. Cause to be honest the graphics are better but as good as botw they are not. to give em some credit, the wild area looks amazing as concept. i wanted to be able to rotate the camera for once. multiplaying should be fun af.

Poke Trainer J

isnt Switch a new console? Why does it got data limitations then?
Seriously, GF said they pushed the 3DS capabilities to its limits with usum so now that they got new console to work with they bring up data limitations? :V
Someone mentioned the snowball effect with the pokedex and its true that instead of carrying data about pokemon that no one uses it might be better to discard em and work on making the game better. i just hope that they put their data to good use and programmed lots of stuff to keep us occupied instead of being lazy and blame data limits. Cause to be honest the graphics are better but as good as botw they are not. to give em some credit, the wild area looks amazing as concept. i wanted to be able to rotate the camera for once. multiplaying should be fun af.
Data Limitations isn't the problem when Nintendo / Game Freak issued a policy that prevents them from being able to push the Nintendo Switch to its limits.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Except they could already do that in VGC, like how the primals were completely out except for Ultra Series. VGC 2017, VGC 2018, VGC 2019 Sun series and Moon series, none of those allowed primals or Mega Rayquaza. Banning them from the entire game altogether just for VGC makes no sense. Or they could, you know, change those problematic pokémon a bit mechanically, like they have in the past when they nerfed weather-setting abilities, something that's far harder in Yu-Gi-Oh with physically printed trading cards that have their effects printed on those cards.

Poke Trainer J

LiamJ

I'll be keeping a close eye on this. I've got Pokemon transferred all the way up from Ruby/Sapphire and this might be my jumping off point. I'm not throwing my toys out the pram but if it feels like a fitting end than it might be the time. I've sunk god knows how many days/weeks of my life into these games and bought both games each time since the original Red/Blue. I really liked the idea of handing down my pokemon to my children but if that's now not possible, I think I can happily sign off with Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon having a living pokedex.

Nodame

Misty <3
It’s not like I will be using older Pokémon on my team anyways but still I want the option to raise any of my fav Pokémon from previous gens when I beat the game.

This is about right...

D8zyrbUWsAEyq63.jpg
LOL this is so funny. I wonder if they’ll change their mind if they saw all the negative responses. Is there time?

Poke Trainer J

I'll be keeping a close eye on this. I've got Pokemon transferred all the way up from Ruby/Sapphire and this might be my jumping off point. I'm not throwing my toys out the pram but if it feels like a fitting end than it might be the time. I've sunk god knows how many days/weeks of my life into these games and bought both games each time since the original Red/Blue. I really liked the idea of handing down my pokemon to my children but if that's now not possible, I think I can happily sign off with Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon having a living pokedex.
You can still hand down your Pokémon to your children as long as they're Pokémon that Nintendo / Game Freak have selected for said future main series game that fits the theme of the region.

LiamJ

You can still hand down your Pokémon to your children as long as they're Pokémon that Nintendo / Game Freak have selected for said future main series game that fits the theme of the region.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

It's clearly a change in policy for the company moving forward, which differs to what we were told after the Gen 2/3 mishap. I don't want to sink hours into raising a pokemon that isn't of any use until Gamefreak decide it is. I can step off now and not pay £80-100 for two games or pay the annual subscription for bank/home. 809 is a respectable number to end on.

I'll wait for clarity from Gamefreak before deciding to cancel my preorders.

Poke Trainer J

We'll have to agree to disagree.

It's clearly a change in policy for the company moving forward, which differs to what we were told after the Gen 2/3 mishap. I don't want to sink hours into raising a pokemon that isn't of any use until Gamefreak decide it is. I can step off now and not pay £80-100 for two games or pay the annual subscription for bank/home. 809 is a respectable number to end on.

I'll wait for clarity from Gamefreak before deciding to cancel my preorders.
Fair enough.

Then again 251 would've been a better number to end on as it would've brought an actual sense of closure to the anime series.