• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Home

DannyDark

Nope.

Turns out it was all due to a new policy shift going forward starting with Sword & Shield. As Junichi Masuda himself stated:

"The Pokémon that will appear will be specially selected to fit the stage of adventure".

I'm pretty sure, the way he stated it in the Treehouse segment, that the above change occurred because of their limiting it to the Galar Region dex, not a policy they went in with initially. As in they decided to limit the amount of Pokemon first and so then selected the most suitable, it wasn't that they simply thought to only select the most suitable as the best and first course of action.

LiamJ

Fair enough.

Then again 251 would've been a better number to end on as it would've brought an actual sense of closure to the anime series.

Ha! In hindsight you're right but 10 or 11 year old me wasn't smart enough to leave. It's been a very fun addiction. None of this ruins my memory of 23 years of awesome gameplay and there's still a chance they could change their minds with a patch or dlc.

Terrysaurus

i wouldnt mind a pokemon game with 300 new pokemon but u can play with only them and not previous gen mons, AS LONG AS there is a place where i can store them so that ik they still exist. Since that would take too much work for GF to make new sprites and also a dead end with previous gens pokemon, GF looks like they made some new mons and included older ones so as to satisfy both of our needs for new mons and preservation of old ones while having enough data to work on the game and thus avoid the "snowball" effect of too much poke data. What does this mean in the longterm imo is that upcoming pokemon games will be like that with new mons and some of the older ones and no pokemon will be trully lost since all will be stored inside pokemon HOME, BUT we might only be able to use some mons in one game while others will just wait stored UNTIL they become available again in some other new game where u can use them. That way they can also control u better and have u pay for the pokebank as u wont be able to withdraw some of your mons. what a pickle

Poke Trainer J

I'm pretty sure, the way he stated it in the Treehouse segment, that the above change occurred because of their limiting it to the Galar Region dex, not a policy they went in with initially. As in they decided to limit the amount of Pokemon first and so then selected the most suitable, it wasn't that they simply thought to only select the most suitable as the best and first course of action.
Here's the policy announcement that was mentioned:

mail

I'm starting to think this is why Junichi Masuda stepped down as Pokémon Director. Remember back a few years ago when he forced his research & development team to focus entirely on Let's Go, Pikachu & Eevee instead of Sword & Shield? Now they're out of development time and was forced to cut content to meet a deadline that they had over 3 years to meet.

The blood is on Masuda's hands now while Ken Sugimori recently retired from doing Pokémon illustrations after Detective Pikachu.

Terrysaurus

meh i doubt its data limits or development time the issue. this is just one of their schemes again XD

if they wanted to programm everything in they could. thing is they know that no matter what they make, it gonna sell.
a true fact is that with each new dex a data cluster would be unnavoidable unless they did what they did in gen8. Its less work for them than drag old data like an old rotting corpse. instead they will re use data every now and then with all your mons being stored in HOME where u would need to pay anualy so its also more profitable for them. Less annoying work, focus more on each game, more profit. thats what they had in mind prob. its just one more of their schemes XD

JW1004

From a business point of view it is smart. They know the games will sell probably anyways, and this way they will have people pay for a yearly fee to store their old mons on the Home instalment, while people can only use a selection and they won't unsubscribe because they will lose their precious other mon, which they can't recover otherwise. I wouldn't be suprised if between now and a few years, the competability between Home and the 3DS also will end, so you basically will have either have to rely on what you already transfered over to Home or are forced to buy new games to be able to have acces to certain mon.

It surely has nothing to do with data or development, since SM/USUM already had acces to everything we had so far, and for sure the Pokémon Go app also will keep being updated to include everything eventually. I think they never used the full capacity of the consoles or the cartridges ever so far, so that can't be it, correct me if I am wrong though. Also they basically use updated sprites/models from the past if we judge the trailers so far, so they easily had most already ready or close to being ready.

Also I don't 'trust' their way of thinking what 'fits the region', I mean we are talking about a company who did a Hawaii based region, that excluded the Hula Dancer inspired Belossom, and trolled us with it being available as some kind of easteregg, but not being able to be caught.

DannyDark

Here's the policy announcement that was mentioned:

mail

I'm starting to think this is why Junichi Masuda stepped down as Pokémon Director. Remember back a few years ago when he forced his research & development team to focus entirely on Let's Go, Pikachu & Eevee instead of Sword & Shield? Now they're out of development time and was forced to cut content to meet a deadline that they had over 3 years to meet.

The blood is on Masuda's hands now while Ken Sugimori recently retired from doing Pokémon illustrations after Detective Pikachu.

Oh I see! Thank you for the translation!
Then yes I'd agree, it definitely seems as though this will be a permanent aspect of the games going forward.. bar any, albeit unlikely, response to people's reactions to it this time around.

Listening to the Treehouse again it seems clear to me that Pokémon were cut to make up development time. I think anything else is just an excuse to back up that decision.

With that in mind they could patch them in but that’s not ideal by any means.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Listening to the Treehouse again it seems clear to me that Pokémon were cut to make up development time. I think anything else is just an excuse to back up that decision.

With that in mind they could patch them in but that’s not ideal by any means.
It can be, though.

Game Freak can release (bi-)monthly patches to introduce a non-Galar native Pokémon to distribute as Max Raid boss. That way, we could get at least 10-15 new species. Remember, SM didn't have all ME stones originally in-game and they were distributed through codes, a similar solution can be found.

Zaide

I definitely think it has do to with development time. The number of Pokémon keeps increasing, and at some point, it becomes unpractical to have to remodel and make new animations for every single one of them. I do sincerely hope they will at least patch in some of them as time goes by. But, knowing the state of the game industry, it wouldn't surprise me if they plan on selling "Pokédex upgrades" if I so can say via DLC.

Vini310

What bother me isn't their decision (since I probably won't use HOME anyway), but how they explained it: it's vague and confusing, and makes me ask what's going on.
From what I understood, while ALL POKÉMON can be tranferred to Pokémon HOME, only a few of those can enter Sword and Shield.
To me, it would make more sense if they did what I described, but THEN allowed the player to get every single Pokémon once they got the National Dex, but these games clearly won't have National Dex.
Also, they give NO EXPLANATION on WHY they made this decision, at least the removal of Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves can be attributed to balance reasons, but this? You need to provide a reason for such decision!

EDIT: Those who are unsatisfied with this decision should talk directly with Masuda, Ohmori and others. Most of the main Game Freak staff has Twitter, and it's THERE you should complain if you want things to change.

Last edited:

DSDark

Breeder
I want to remind people the problem isn't Home, it's SwSh. Home will be able to store every pokemon. SwSh is the game won't have the data for certain pokemon. So don't complain about home, complain about SwSh

Vini310

I want to remind people the problem isn't Home, it's SwSh. Home will be able to store every pokemon. SwSh is the game won't have the data for certain pokemon. So don't complain about home, complain about SwSh
NOW everything looks clear, except for one thing: Why will SwSh not have all Pokémon on it's data? Sure, the models aren't the same (the ones in SwSh have better quality), but still, was this really necessary? The Switch does not have enough memory to store every single Pokémon (because of graphics and all that, maybe the remaining space is low)? They NEED TO EXPLAIN THAT!

Terrysaurus

ppl react negatively cause they assume that their previous mons will forever be lost and wont pass on to new gens. Assuming that they can pass in HOME and not in galar(some of them) then it depends on ppls preferences on pokemon on how they will react(if my fav mon isnt in the game of course i would be frustrated). Also if the app is free then sure since nothing will be lost then ok they can be stored and be used in some new gen next time. Realistically i doubt it. Bank was pay to use app so i dont see why home wont be. Not even the mother gives the child free stuff anymore lmao. But yeah there are some negatives but there are also positives. For those who are relevant in competitive play they understand what it means if key pokemon in the OU tier are missing such as the common landoT. This change can be for the best. New pokemon will be used and things wont get repetitive and as well as older mons that had little use will get used once again, so its a nice change of pace imo. Either case its still to early to talk about it since we dont know what mons will be gone.

A thing i noticed from the wild area is that only older mons spawned :V
was that so as to not spoil the new mons (edited games?)
or is it the preposterous and frustrating thought that there are not much new pokemon? I do hope the dex will be plenty despite my worries

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Is the policy thingy actually true and not a mistranslation? Me believes it’s not a mistranslation but want to be sure!

Because if it’s true...what a silly policy to go through! “Whatever Pokemon fits the adventure” they say. Are you implying that Heatmor and Nidoking and Dhelmise aren’t worthy an adventure no matter what region you craft? Well!

DSDark

Breeder
NOW everything looks clear, except for one thing: Why will SwSh not have all Pokémon on it's data? Sure, the models aren't the same (the ones in SwSh have better quality), but still, was this really necessary? The Switch does not have enough memory to store every single Pokémon (because of graphics and all that, maybe the remaining space is low)? They NEED TO EXPLAIN THAT!

One of the main reasons I can think of is that to render the pokemon in the open world that uses a lot of data. So to remove the problems that Let's go had they cut some pokemon to make the game run better.

Vini310

I contacted Masuda, Ohmori and GF as a whole in their Twitter.
The only way we can get an official explanation is by talking to them. In fact, I say that ALL of this backlash could be avoided (or at least reduced) if they gave a clear explanation.

Terrysaurus

for me i completed the dex so many times that idc much if they exclude stuff unless if a pokemon i like is excluded. If bibarel or purugly or bruxish r not in the game who cares no biggy but if tyranitaur or charizard were to be missing ppl would revolt. i assume they have limited the "damage" and excluded only the unpopular ones, just my humble opinion. The removal of national dex in gen7 was a foreshadowing and also testing to what they were planning to do in gen8. Since ppl were fine with gen7 as playable experience with encountering only certain mons then they took a bigger leap and messed our stuff XDDDD how are we gonna batlle lmao. As long as the game is fun with lots of new mons then thats all it matters. the ppl who have it rough r those who are attached to certain pokemon that wont make it to galar, rip

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Pretty sure Nintendo, TPCi and Game Freak are well aware by now about the negative reaction of the fans.

All we do now is to wait for their statement/update on the matter. We have until next year before Home is released, but I believe it is best that they say something soon to avoid further damage.

D

Deleted member 384931

Just complain to gamefreak lol all of us. Even the Japanse people arent happy