• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Home

firepanda

I really don't see the issue. We all know the Pokedex is getting too large.

Let's say Skarmory isn't in the Galar Dex. (One of my favourites, and it looks like we might not have it with Corviknight instead.) You can't transfer over a Skarmory, breed it and take it through your adventure etc.

So what? Who was going to do that anyway? Pretty much everyone plays through the game with the regional dex. I don't think even hardcore Skarmory fans are trading it over so they can play with one.

I'll be perfectly happy if some of my favourites are unavailable. Now that we have Bank / Home, I wasn't going to trade them over anyway. I might catch and train my favourites if they're in the Galar Dex, but I'll mostly stick to new Pokemon like Corviknight.

Anecdata, but everyone I've mentioned this to IRL has had a similar response. It feels like a vocal minority of the fanbase is upset, and not for a really practical reason.

JW1004

Let's say Skarmory isn't in the Galar Dex. (One of my favourites, and it looks like we might not have it with Corviknight instead.) You can't transfer over a Skarmory, breed it and take it through your adventure etc.

So what? Who was going to do that anyway? Pretty much everyone plays through the game with the regional dex. I don't think even hardcore Skarmory fans are trading it over so they can play with one.

I'll be perfectly happy if some of my favourites are unavailable. Now that we have Bank / Home, I wasn't going to trade them over anyway. I might catch and train my favourites if they're in the Galar Dex, but I'll mostly stick to new Pokemon like Corviknight.

Anecdata, but everyone I've mentioned this to IRL has had a similar response. It feels like a vocal minority of the fanbase is upset, and not for a really practical reason.

I always do my first playthrough with the regional dex, but AFTER that I always do playthroughs wiith my favourites included.
Since Gen II, I have been doing atleast 1 playthrough with the following team: Meganium, Electivire (back then ofcourse Electabuzz), Espeon, Heracross, Mismagius (back then Misdreavus) and Kingdra. So yeah I mainly trade over my team from the former gen, breed those and start a new playthrough wiith their offsprings.

I also think it is fun to do different kind of playthroughs, especially with mon that are not native to the regional dex since it opens up more fun with team building and have extra options for coverage etc. Like for example back in Gen IV where there was only the Fire starter and Ponyta available as fire types during normal playthrough, yet with the addition of the Platinum addition and Gen II games, you were able to trade over eggs or mon to build a different team.

You can't just assume that 'nobody' does something.

Nockturne

for me i completed the dex so many times that idc much if they exclude stuff unless if a pokemon i like is excluded. If bibarel or purugly or bruxish r not in the game who cares no biggy but if tyranitaur or charizard were to be missing ppl would revolt. i assume they have limited the "damage" and excluded only the unpopular ones, just my humble opinion.
This is part of the concern for me. I already feel like a lot of regional dexes are too same-y but at least the less popular or remembered Pokemon were still a part of the game through transfering. With this new policy it runs the risk of certain Pokemon just straight up falling out of the franchise. Variety is the spice of life, especially in Pokemon and we already have Pokemon that rarely appear in regional dexes, a problem thats just gonna get worse if they don't get a look in, in any way, for an entire Gen.

I mean, I'm aware this may just be me, but I like to defeat the new regions E4 with all my old teams. Including my now 14 year old LeafGreen team (crazy to think those Pokemon are "older" than a lot of the kids playting the games now) which I probably won't be able to do because I assume all previous starter Pokemon won't be in every future regional dex.

firepanda

I always do my first playthrough with the regional dex, but AFTER that I always do playthroughs wiith my favourites included.
Since Gen II, I have been doing atleast 1 playthrough with the following team: Meganium, Electivire (back then ofcourse Electabuzz), Espeon, Heracross, Mismagius (back then Misdreavus) and Kingdra. So yeah I mainly trade over my team from the former gen, breed those and start a new playthrough wiith their offsprings.

I also think it is fun to do different kind of playthroughs, especially with mon that are not native to the regional dex since it opens up more fun with team building and have extra options for coverage etc. Like for example back in Gen IV where there was only the Fire starter and Ponyta available as fire types during normal playthrough, yet with the addition of the Platinum addition and Gen II games, you were able to trade over eggs or mon to build a different team.

You can't just assume that 'nobody' does something.

I think we all agree that the distribution of fire types in Gen IV was a disaster. It's extra important now that GameFreak keep a wide variety of Pokemon in the Galar Dex.

But yeah, I can understand why you wouldn't be happy with the changes. (I've also seen some people saying how they want to play with old Pokemon for sentimental reasons.) But I do see how if a decision had to be made (delay the games, limit the Dex size somehow, or reduce quality somehow) they would choose to go with this. I suspect most people don't play the games with Pokemon outside the regional Dex.

Terrysaurus

I'm surprised at the amount of people who AREN'T doing that, instead they are complaining on YouTube videos, forums and other social media. It looks like they don't have the guts to tell at the company's face that they're unsatisfied.

i think most ppl just dont know how to contact em XD im included lol

its fine tho im not that much annoyed by the new change anymore.

Terrysaurus

This is part of the concern for me. I already feel like a lot of regional dexes are too same-y but at least the less popular or remembered Pokemon were still a part of the game through transfering. With this new policy it runs the risk of certain Pokemon just straight up falling out of the franchise. Variety is the spice of life, especially in Pokemon and we already have Pokemon that rarely appear in regional dexes, a problem thats just gonna get worse if they don't get a look in, in any way, for an entire Gen.

the thing is that pokemon lose their motto "gotta catch em all" and it becomes "gotta catch some of them". They walking into dangerous territory cause if they end up making new games with only new mons then they are no different than the pokemon ripoff games since they lose that sentimentality that accompanies the older pokemon we are familiar with as we grew up.
Thats why i support the opinion that all time classic pokemon will make it into galar. If they see that their plan fails they gonna make the next game having all mons again since they would have no choice.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
While I have no personal issues with the new policy (I like it when things "fit" the theme) I will admit that there is one problem:

Since, with the exception of SwSh, once you place a Pokemon into Home (from 3DS/LGPE), and you can't put it back in those games, that Pokemon that's now in home, you no longer have the ability to play with it again until SwSh (or a later game) has that Pokemon in its dex.

keithpetrosky

VGC is such a miniscule percentage that this reason is absolutely bs. To balance the power creep, deny the opportunity for all other causal players to be able to transfer their Pokémon from previous games? Especially since they promoted Pokémon Home as the upgrade to Bank, and now it's pointless since your Pokémon can't even be transferred. If they wanted to level the playing field for VGC, maybe they should add more restrictions or something within the actual VGC. Why should others pay the price for a VGC shake up?

We don’t even need restrictions, honestly the way it’s been has been fine. Just let us import all Pokémon and then the new game is fine and allow breeding. The only restrictions I know of are for online battling but keep just as it was in US UM. I do wish we’d see mega evo and z moves still, even if they are OP everyone will get to use them.

Zaide

I'm surprised at the amount of people who AREN'T doing that, instead they are complaining on YouTube videos, forums and other social media. It looks like they don't have the guts to tell at the company's face that they're unsatisfied.
Your angry tweets to the game directors have pretty much as much chance of being seen as an angry comment made on an Internet forum.

MadaMada

I studied IT since 16 years old, and worked in Software Development for almost 7 years now. And even the me from 10 years ago can confidently tell you that GameFreak's migration policy is not sustainable forever. To me, it is a miracle that they allowed it all the way to Generation 7. In all honesty, I really though they would have done this back in XY when they started constructing the 3D models, but no, they surprised me and far exceeded my expectations when they allowed full migration from non-3D to 3D.

I can't say I fully support their policy on not allowing the National Dex, but rather I fully understand why it is not feasible. I am not saying it is technically impossible, but I am saying that it is unfeasible in a business standpoint.

To break this down, if all Pokemon were to be allowed to migrated for every Pokemon game, GF would have a huge backlog of work to do before they even start developing the new game.

Let's take it that they are able to reuse the 3D models from XY. For each game, they usually reshade the models, they have to come up with new movesets, new Pokedex entry, test that animation model matches the any new moves, give them their Dynamax model and make it they don't screw up the screen, imagine wailord covering the entire screen and you can't see anything, that isn't good.

We have 809 Pokemon now... if it they spend 20 hours on each Pokemon (as believe me, it will make more than 20 hours per Pokemon, this is just a bare minimum estimate. I mean just going their movesets and updating their moves, and getting your boss to review and approve is gonna take like 8 hours already... @_@)

809 x 20 hours, that's already 160000 hours of work before the game starts development at minimum, it usually takes 50% more time, that is uncounted, because people work overtime, and I do not know if they get paid for it.

But, but Nintendo and GameFreak are freaking rich, they can hire more people. There are problems with this too. More people means more clutter, person A submits a work, person B submits a work, person C submits a work, the more separate pieces of work that are produce, it takes more effort to integrate them together and ensure their quality and that they are coherent, it will take more time to review and test the work. Also, are you willing to pay more for National Dex each game?

I can fully understand why GF had to do what they had to do, though it is an unpopular decision.

Zaide

I studied IT since 16 years old, and worked in Software Development for almost 7 years now. And even the me from 10 years ago can confidently tell you that GameFreak's migration policy is not sustainable forever. To me, it is a miracle that they allowed it all the way to Generation 7. In all honesty, I really though they would have done this back in XY when they started constructing the 3D models, but no, they surprised me and far exceeded my expectations when they allowed full migration from non-3D to 3D.

I can't say I fully support their policy on not allowing the National Dex, but rather I fully understand why it is not feasible. I am not saying it is technically impossible, but I am saying that it is unfeasible in a business standpoint.

To break this down, if all Pokemon were to be allowed to migrated for every Pokemon game, GF would have a huge backlog of work to do before they even start developing the new game.

Let's take it that they are able to reuse the 3D models from XY. For each game, they usually reshade the models, they have to come up with new movesets, new Pokedex entry, test that animation model matches the any new moves, give them their Dynamax model and make it they don't screw up the screen, imagine wailord covering the entire screen and you can't see anything, that isn't good.

We have 809 Pokemon now... if it they spend 20 hours on each Pokemon (as believe me, it will make more than 20 hours per Pokemon, this is just a bare minimum estimate. I mean just going their movesets and updating their moves, and getting your boss to review and approve is gonna take like 8 hours already... @_@)

809 x 20 hours, that's already 160000 hours of work before the game starts development at minimum, it usually takes 50% more time, that is uncounted, because people work overtime, and I do not know if they get paid for it.

But, but Nintendo and GameFreak are freaking rich, they can hire more people. There are problems with this too. More people means more clutter, person A submits a work, person B submits a work, person C submits a work, the more separate pieces of work that are produce, it takes more effort to integrate them together and ensure their quality and that they are coherent, it will take more time to review and test the work. Also, are you willing to pay more for National Dex each game?

I can fully understand why GF had to do what they had to do, though it is an unpopular decision.
Exactly this. I'm not happy this is that way, but I understand it.

To those asking GF for why they did it, they already responded with the unofficial but PR way of responding : policy change and Pokémon specifically chosen for the adventure.

But behind, despite their unhappiness with the announce, most people understand this is a business decision. I'm still sure they will add more Pokemon with time (dlc, patches, raids), or with the next games, and continue that way.

I'd rather have the new game out sooner rather than have to wait one more year just so I can play with Mightyena.

Orphalesion

Since, with the exception of SwSh, once you place a Pokemon into Home (from 3DS/LGPE), and you can't put it back in those games, that Pokemon that's now in home, you no longer have the ability to play with it again until SwSh (or a later game) has that Pokemon in its dex.

That what makes me think that this can't be a permanent thing, like the time when Pokemon Bank didn't let you transfer mons into Sun and Moon (or was it X and Y?) for some months . They can't just let you transfer your Pokemon into this app and then they are stuck there.
I think they'll either be patched in or the Switch games after SwSh will have all the Pokemon.

So I think it will be just a waiting period until the various models and animations have been updated and then the Pokemon will be "unlocked" or something.
Maybe there'll even be events where they release patched-in species in that Open World Area.

Pokemon Power

I'm doing a checklist of all the classic Pokemon that have been spotted in Galar, and I'm not including Pokemon that we've seen exclusively in the overworld or Pokemon that are implied be coming because an evolutionary relative has been spotted. So far I've seen, in National Pokedex order: Metapod, Butterfree, Pikachu, Raichu, Clefable, Vulpix, Diglett, Dugtrio, Growlithe, Arcanine, Machop, Machoke, Gastly, Haunter, Rhydon, Goldeen, Gyarados, Eevee, Snorlax, Mew, Hoothoot, Lanturn, Quagsire, Wobbuffet, Steelix, Mantine, Tyranitar, Ludicolo, Wingull, Ralts, Electrike, Wailmer, Flygon, Milotic, Duskull, Snorunt, Combee, Vespiquen, Bronzor, Lucario, Hippopotas, Mantyke, Snover, Weavile, Togekiss, Seismitoad, Sawk, Minccino, Vanillite, Vanilluxe, Frillish, Galvantula, Axew, Golurk, Braviary, Zweilous, Hydreigon, Bunnelby, Diggersby, Pancham, Pangoro, Espurr, Meowstic, Swirlix, Inkay, Hawlucha, Avalugg, Grubbin, Wishiwashi, Mudsdale, Stufful, Bewear, Bounsweet and Steenee. If there was anyone I missed, please, send me a source.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
The Treehouse gameplay video now has 12K likes and 21K dislikes. This actually makes me really sad. I want Sword and Shield to do well but I also want Game Freak to realise that blocking out Pokémon like this is unacceptable. People have fond memories of their Pokémon and spent hundreds of hours building up their collection so to potentially lose that really hurts.

Even if they announced that SwSh would have limited Pokémon but the next game, whether it be a Galar sequel or Sinnoh remake, would contain everyone I’d fully support this decision, but seeing as cutting Pokémon is policy now I just can’t see myself playing anymore.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I'm doing a checklist of all the classic Pokemon that have been spotted in Galar, and I'm not including Pokemon that we've seen exclusively in the overworld or Pokemon that are implied be coming because an evolutionary relative has been spotted. So far I've seen, in National Pokedex order: Metapod, Butterfree, Pikachu, Raichu, Clefable, Vulpix, Diglett, Dugtrio, Growlithe, Arcanine, Machop, Machoke, Gastly, Haunter, Rhydon, Goldeen, Gyarados, Eevee, Snorlax, Mew, Hoothoot, Lanturn, Quagsire, Wobbuffet, Steelix, Mantine, Tyranitar, Ludicolo, Wingull, Ralts, Electrike, Wailmer, Flygon, Milotic, Duskull, Snorunt, Combee, Vespiquen, Bronzor, Lucario, Hippopotas, Mantyke, Snover, Weavile, Togekiss, Seismitoad, Sawk, Minccino, Vanillite, Vanilluxe, Frillish, Galvantula, Axew, Golurk, Braviary, Zweilous, Hydreigon, Bunnelby, Diggersby, Pancham, Pangoro, Espurr, Meowstic, Swirlix, Inkay, Hawlucha, Avalugg, Grubbin, Wishiwashi, Mudsdale, Stufful, Bewear, Bounsweet and Steenee. If there was anyone I missed, please, send me a source.
Serebii is already on top of it
https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/galarpokedex.shtml

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
I really do like how this game looks, it looks really amazing, but it's just a shame that all of that was ruined for most people with one sentence. I hope gamefreak adds in other Pokemon availability, otherwise, there is not really a point to using Pokemon Home at least at the moment without how little detail there is about it.