• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Home

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Seeing people on twitter talking about the potential of a battle system on Home. Let me just say my thing about that. It's not going to work, even if they make that. Even if the pokémon coming from Sword and Shield into Home would be able to hold items and Home would support that, any of the pokémon that aren't in the Galar dex, so the pokémon coming from 3DS, GO, or Let's Go, wouldn't be able to hold items. Pokémon coming from the 3DS will have to go through Bank to reach Home, and Bank doesn't support hold items. Pokémon coming from Let's Go Pikachu or Let's Go Eevee don't have any hold items either because those games don't have that feature. Were they introduce this hypothetical battling option on Home where you could battle with any pokémon from the National Dex, a huge portion of the pokémon would be without hold items altogether and make them by that very nature inferior choices.

Another reason, which would be troublesome if Home just didn't support hold items altogether so for some 'item-free (Mega Rayquaza rules all) meta', any pokémon not in the Galar dex is essentially stuck in Home until some other hypothetical game is released that supports that pokémon. And Home is a cloud storage system. If you wished to change or modify a pokémon's moveset for instance, or change its EVs, you wouldn't be able to because you wouldn't be able to get that pokémon inside an actual game to do so. So you'd have to go back to the original game and get another one of those pokémon the way you want it, transfer it to Home, and then play again.

Last edited:

TsengHyena

Pokemon Jail....is probably a more accurate term than Pokemon Home. What does Gamefreak expect us to do with the permanently benched pokemon in Jail, which may include favourites for a year+?

3DSRed

Alias RedAgent14
You make a valid point with regards to the current situation of things (that is, with Sw/Sh being the only current two-way Home games).
For VGC purposes I don't think it'll matter, given the "<current region> dex only" restriction of modern VGC formats.
However, you are right in that "no hold items" is an issue for any non-VGC and non-competitive battle formats. From my POV, the simplest way to remedy this seems to be to add a "move items" feature to Home, similar to the in-game PC system. This way, GF ensures that no items from Gens 6-7 make it that they don't want to make it past those gens (because Bank doesn't allow items) without cutting out items entirely.
The EVs/Move Tutors issue is also a valid concern. Relying on past gens for non-VGC competitive formats has always been a thing (example: transferring RNG manipulated Gen IV/V pokemon up to Gen VI). While that isn't optimal, I see it as "growing pains" until Gen 8 gets more content after Sword and Shield.

Let's also not forget that Home is set to come out in 2020 which is a minimum of 1.5-2 months after Sword and Shield release.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Pokemon Jail....is probably a more accurate term than Pokemon Home. What does Gamefreak expect us to do with the permanently benched pokemon in Jail, which may include favourites for a year+?
Only hopes that there is something like the Poke Pelago or mini games you can play with your Pokémon. Otherwise it is just a glorified PC Box with trading included.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Yay, if it's a free service. Pass, if it needs to be paid for. Or at least make it so Pokémon aren't erased after the subscription runs out.
There's no way it's going to be free. At the very least, it will require a nintendo switch online subscription. Most people think it will be separate, like Bank, though.

Terrysaurus

"Some further details about Pokémon Sword & Shield were revealed in Famitsu. Within the interview with Masuda and Ohmori, it was confirmed that there is currently no decision to bring the existing Pokémon that can't be in Sword & Shield back into the game using patches, but those that don't will still have an active role in Pokémon HOME. It also stated that Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves will not appear in Sword & Shield" -Serebii

welp they did as expected. they will let u transfer the pokemon that u wont useinto pokemon HOME so as to control you better since it will be payed 70% chance.
About patches they answered no so as to not lose face, cause otherwise it would make them seem lazy for not including em in the first place, however they let some room for thought saying that "currently there is no decision to bring existing pokemon in SwSh" but who knows? if they get pressured a lot and they see the sales being low they will most likely patch more mons. They are realisic, they know that its too much work for the given money, so they doing what they gotta do. That being said its way too early to be pesimistic about it, they said they will give us the galar experience so look forward for the awesome new things like the wild area.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
"Some further details about Pokémon Sword & Shield were revealed in Famitsu. Within the interview with Masuda and Ohmori, it was confirmed that there is currently no decision to bring the existing Pokémon that can't be in Sword & Shield back into the game using patches, but those that don't will still have an active role in Pokémon HOME. It also stated that Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves will not appear in Sword & Shield" -Serebii

welp they did as expected. they will let u transfer the pokemon that u wont useinto pokemon HOME so as to control you better since it will be payed 70% chance.
About patches they answered no so as to not lose face, cause otherwise it would make them seem lazy for not including em in the first place, however they let some room for thought saying that "currently there is no decision to bring existing pokemon in SwSh" but who knows? if they get pressured a lot and they see the sales being low they will most likely patch more mons. They are realisic, they know that its too much work for the given money, so they doing what they gotta do. That being said its way too early to be pesimistic about it, they said they will give us the galar experience so look forward for the awesome new things like the wild area.
Well I have no plan to transfer anything that will just stay in Home. They can just stay in the older games. I have no problem doing that, until there's more known. If I did end up getting Home... I hope it's around the same price as Bank is.

Let's also not forget that Home is set to come out in 2020 which is a minimum of 1.5-2 months after Sword and Shield release.
These is actually a good observation, i would say tha is goingo to be like 4-6 month,. Pokebank all over again.
So... there was no chance of fill a National Pokedex from the start, and a first run with your favourite team was out of question. They still have the chance to bring other Pokemon over time (Please don't screw it more)

Espeon4232

Long Time Fan
These is actually a good observation, i would say tha is goingo to be like 4-6 month,. Pokebank all over again.
So... there was no chance of fill a National Pokedex from the start, and a first run with your favourite team was out of question. They still have the chance to bring other Pokemon over time (Please don't screw it more)
The difference here is that all of the pokemon were coded into those games. We are being told that you simply can't have some in this game. That is very different than simply having to wait a few months in order to get them.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
"...those that don't will still have an active role in Pokémon HOME." Looks to me like there might be more to do in Home than it just being essentially Bank on the Switch. No idea what that could be, because I'd hardly consider being tradeable in Home having an active role.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
If Home replaces Poke Pelago and our Sword and Shield (and future games) can access it just by going to an option in the menu or going to a PC, in addition to accessing it on our Switch and Smartphone, then I can forgive this whole Galar Dex mess. But it has to be better than Poke Pelago and Bank combined. We need decent graphics and a Pokemon Refresh type of option as well.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Honestly, while I don’t think it can be done now, I feel one of the best ways to handle the issue at this point is to release a trailer for Pokémon Home to show everyone what it’s like.

It doesn’t solve the issue of how some pokémon can’t be used in Sword & Shield, but it could leave some people at ease if this app is more like a mix between My Pokémon Ranch & The Poképelago (where you can interact with your pokémon) rather than Pokémon Bank (where they just sit in the cloud & rot until you trade them). I don’t think battling will work on the app, but they could try to implement other stuff like a Pokémon Amie substitute to boost a pokémon’s friendship/affection, breeding, EV/IV training, mini games that raise a pokémon’s level to in place of battles.

If Pokémon Home ends up being like this, then I think it could make the whole no National Dex thing easier to accept since you can still bond & interact with your Pokémon that can’t come to the Galar region. Plus, doing it this way will make them even more powerful when you can transfer them over to the next game that includes them.

Last edited:

TsengHyena

Man if Home just turns out to be Bank but with stupid petting minigames like Amie, then its going to be Garbage. It needs a battle mode.

TsengHyena

pokemon battles on your phone would be kind of cool, but they need to allow hold items this time around if that's happening

I dont care really if its not optimal battles, but battles of a sort involving the perma-benched monsters is gonna be important for the series.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
pokemon battles on your phone would be kind of cool, but they need to allow hold items this time around if that's happening
Wouldn't be so cool for anyone with limited data, along with anyone with limited space on their phones. That said, I think it could be cool if it was on the Switch version as well.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I'm gonna be honest, despite what Serebii says, I haven't seen any sign of the Roggenrola, Drifloon, or Wimpod evolutionary families in gameplay or the website for Pokemon Sword and Shield. Does anyone have a source that confirms their presence?
I remember Gigalith was shown when James Turner was giving info on Drednaw.