• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon in Capsule Vending Machines?

esm8m

Pokémaniac
Pokémon in Capsule Vending Machines?

Hello! I have a question for anyone who knows a lot about Pokémon merchandise.

I found some very strange Pokémon figurines while I was in the city of Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, more specifically (if it helps) in Leblon. There, almost all of the little newsstands on the corners had a capsule vending machine, like this, that had little Pokémon figurines in them. They cost 1 real (~50 cents) each. Even though this is the first year I've seen them, there were only first and second generation Pokémon.

This is what they look like. As you can probably notice, some of them are quite detailed, while others don't even look much like a Pokémon (Note the brown and green figures on the top row - those are supposed to be Eevee and Diglett, respectively. I think.). They're all very small.

Also, some of them have writing on their backs. Some just say ©Nintendo, others add CGTSJ, and even fewer also say CHINA. Here's a look at one of the ones that has all three.

I've tried Googling various phrases, but I haven't come up with anything. All I've learned is that the capsules they are in are fairly standard in the industry.

Does anyone have any idea of what these are and where they came from?

Erienne

Anime high :D
Probably some knockoffs for one real, but I'm sure the real ones are Nintendo sponsored with some Pokemon plushies given with them.

aaron-now

Found in Rio de Janeiro? Well that doesn't suprise due to the Brazillians being crazy over shows like Pokemon. And yes, I think they are just quick knock ups to get some money. I know that there are/were real ones that they had in QLD, Australia in 2006. I got a Deoxys and 2 Lugias. They were official and released under TOMY. They were from the Pokemon Danglers 2 range and had Celebi, Mew, Deoxys, Jirachi, Mewtwo and Lugia, all with little tags on them.
I don't think that they actually produce the words (TOMY, CHINA, etc.) on official ones any more.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Eh, I saw some cool miniaturized pokemon vending machines in capsules that you could get out of vending machines.

Confusing huh?

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
I got a Meowth out a vending machine in a Morrison's once...

Pretty sure that was licensed, though, since everything in the machine was Pokémon and it had the logo all over it and the all-powerful Seal of Quality, I think.

LucarioMan101

HGSS ftw!!!!!!
I live in Japan and they are EVERYWHERE....and i mean everywhere because you will see like a whole section of store dedicated to about 100 of them and at least 20 of them are pokemon

Upa

Pink Floyd Never Die
I found loads in Hong Kong when I went last year.

I even found ones such as Magnezone. Too bad a random one came out.

I got MAgnezone, my friend got Palkia.... :(

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
Only the ones that say "C Nintendo" are real, I got a bunch out of a slot machine thingy at Pizza Hut when I was seven. They are like the ones aaron-now has.

teetee99

Pokemon master
Maybe when they were making them in a factory or where ever they made them well maybe they put all that writing on there backs is beacause they want people to know where they made them and.And they wanted to put the company which is nintendo and that other company you said.

Emo_Kirlia

They used to have these machines in Old Navy's but they were alot bigger and I don't remember if they had Pokemon in them. Mostly little keychains or Bouncy balls. But when I was in KFC I saw something similar that caught me by suprise: A Pokemon sticker vending machine! I begged my mom for some quarters but see didn't have any...:( They were Sinnoh Pokemon.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I found those machines at both Forbidden Planet stores I visited in London and Dublin while I was in the UK.

lvl100blastoise

That jigglypuff and I assume some of the other ones are part of a promotion that was held in brazil when I was a little kid. There's this soda your probably familiar with from your trip to rio called guarana and around when they aired the first season of pokemon the bottles(not the big ones but the smaller ones for kids) would come with a little pokeball on top which contained a miniature pokemon. I had somewhere close to a hundred of them between me and my brother but recently I looked for them and could only find about 20.

I wish I had seen those machines on my most recent visit though, I would've loved to pick up a couple more.

Sir Gaga

I don't know if this is similar, but when I was like ten, my parents bought me this big package of every Pokemon in the 1st gen, and they they looked similar to the ones that esm had.

I wish I could find them so I could compare.

AstralEon

The one and only.
There is 1 vending machine I know of that still sells Pokemon Capsules. But I haven't been there lately but I'm pretty sure its still there.

If I do go back to the Arizona Mills Mall, I would probably get one for myself, just for the heck of it. See how old these things really are. =)

Kujo1229

*munch*
Since this morphed into a different topic I will tell people about the capsule machine in one of the Futureshops in Saskatoon...or at least I think we have two. XD

Anyway, it dispenses really nice cellphone charms from it, I forgot what all you can get. I distinctly remember Entei, Magnezone, Pikachu, and Palkia. I got a Blastoise from it, and it's hanging from my Luigi screen cleaner. The machine takes one toonie($2) and my Blastoise is pretty well crafted and painted.

We also have machines in Zellers that dispense little figures in some sort of dome. I don't have any, and the options change from time to time. They don't look quite as nice as the charms do. Or at least not the example ones.

tatsujingosuto

i think they have all of these fake pokemon toys all around the world, I see some of these while I go to China town

;354;TG

Calm PokeMaster

Probably some fake Pokemon toys made years ago.......

Maxim

Beyond repair
Vending Machines with bootleg Pokemon figurines.

Not really a news to me.

In Poland, they used to be just everywhere during the time of Pokemon Mania in Poland.