• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Masters Discussion Thread

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
You're literally the first person I've ever seen with that opinion.
I'm more surprised people like Selene with the weird hat in a tropical region and a shirt that looks like it's made out of those clothes you buy to clean the floors.

Elio's was an upgrade. The bucket hat had a better design and much better than yet another generic cap.

Also the shorts were better than those weird pants vanilla version and Ash had to wear.

I'm probably gonna skip hers and try for both the Easter seasonals instead and hope she spooks me on a different banner.
As much as I wanted them I guess I'll do the same. Might try a multi in the last day of their banners depending how my luck on May's banner will be.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Darn, I came here to talk about the leaks with @LordSerperior and @Ignition but they know about it already

I really wasn't expecting May to get an alternate so soon. Will definetely pull for her.

Really dissapointed with Elio and Selene. Honestly, I'd rather Elio had Incineroar. Feels a waste give it to Kukui. Also, biggest dissapointment is they having the vanilla SM clothes rather than the much better USUM ones.

This was kind of like what happened with Dawn, where the Platinum stuff is all around in terms of lore, but they kept HER in her DP attire.

And who said Kukui's getting it? He's the one with the starter that has an advantage over you, but who do we know in Alola that picks the starter weaker than yours?

I don't know Hau they'll make it work, but Kukui's alternate partner could be Hawlucha (A mon found on Alola in USUM that matches the wrestling theme AND has a unique move.)

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Considering they gave us Champion outfit Iris, I'm sure they'll give us RS/Emerald/Platinum/USUM outfits for the gen 3/4/6 mcs as well.

Hunga

Just checked the leaked seasonal pairs and S/M mains but... Wow... Is it just me or are they just really underwhelming overall?

My favorite animals are bunnies/rabbits/hares (lagomorphia in general) but so disapointed. :-(
A solid fightning typ is needed, since we only got really Walley as a 5* star fightning character.
I'm torn if I'd invest the gems or just try to spam Diantha.

And the S/M are not worth it since there just are enough better choice for water/grass already.
Won't call them not useful, but if you're not new to the game, you should already have something better.

Togepi... Just RNG.

Last edited:

LordSerperior

None of the pairs seem too extraordinary but I don't care about meta anyway so I'm pulling for the seasonals anyway. I wonder how that restrain effect will work in Selene's kit since switching isn't really a thing.

Prioritizing Burgh though because he seems like the kind of sync pairs I enjoy using even if its situational and rng dependent. I don't like May's kit at all, it's all over the place but I'll still pull because limited depending on my luck with Burgh.

Last edited:

Hunga

Set my post in spoilers now, as I don't want to get a slap on the wrist! :p

It hasn't really to do with meta for me, it's just getting boring when seeing some of the new syn pairs.
You got two catagories: Either bonkers like Leon or Iris Champion or beyond mediocre like Pierce or the now Seasonals.
Missing a bit the ones in the middle, you can get if you want but don't need to like May.

Could be they make the seasonals weaker than those before (winter 19 and summer 20) since that might have gotten them a backlash?

LordSerperior

Set my post in spoilers now, as I don't want to get a slap on the wrist! :p

It hasn't really to do with meta for me, it's just getting boring when seeing some of the new syn pairs.
You got two catagories: Either bonkers like Leon or Iris Champion or beyond mediocre like Pierce or the now Seasonals.
Missing a bit the ones in the middle, you can get if you want but don't need to like May.

Could be they make the seasonals weaker than those before (winter 19 and summer 20) since that might have gotten them a backlash?
I don't think the new seasonals are weaker or worse than previous seasonals. It's more the fact that they don't really bring anything new to the table and hence easy to skip if you already have other pairs to cover the role. I think at release May is the best physical fighting strike pair in the game but there isn't really a need to get her because you can use Wally/Korrina and not miss out on anything. It's the same for Burgh, he can function as a decent tank + potion support even if you ignore metronome rng completely but then so can other pairs.

Also they need to add like 4 pairs every month, it's probably hard to make each unique. I'd rather have average sync pairs than busted ones like Leon. I'm just not a fan of powercreep.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
First things first:

This week's Koga battle on CS was a HUGE pain. After several tries had to burn Sleep Chaining on him. Good thing the final match was water weak so I could cheese it with 3/5 SS Grimsley EX + May + SS Blue.

Now Koga was a whole new level of difficulty. Even with freaking Leon I wasn't doing well...

Really, if they had released a powerful ice-type unit with EX I wouldn't complain because I could place blame on me not wanting to pay but...

There simply isn't a viable ice type striker in this game. Summer Steven is only passable but even then he'd need at least EX to to viable here

Thankfully the tendency is there won't be ice weakness on the Unova stadium aside from maybe the final fight (Iris version).

As for the datamine:

Normal!Leaf's grid is everything I wanted it to be and then some.

They really made her a gacha version of Skyla. But I don't care. It's what I hoped and wanted lol Also, all that means is that we get another alternative. The more the merrier.

Leaf's gonna be so busted. With EX we get double sync boost and +2 on all stats. Also she'll have very good healing + a chance of flinching (hopefully it'll be possible to get all those nodes). And since she is main character, she'll activate theme skills with Red and Serena, thus making her more viable than Skyla

As unit, Easter!May is average. Love her EX but might take a while since I'll prioritize N and Diantha duo Champio Stadium reasons. I'll get her mostly because something something favorites though. As for Burgh, I'll just see if I pull him with dailies. If not, well, he can make company to Erikanta and NY!Lance

Elio is a support like I wished he was. He just got the pokémon I didn't want him to have. Poor Litten. How good would Support Incineroar with Sunny Day be....

Selene looks good. Her multipliers seem to be the thing that will set her apart from Brendan. Doesn't seem like it'll be the main draw for me using her over Brendan though. In my case there is something charming about storming stages and Champion Stadium using a Treecko (he and Mudkip are staying as they are until Torchic gets evolution).

Selene seems like she'd be helpful on CS in case the player doesn't have Morty or doesn't want to EX him.

LordSerperior

First things first:

This week's Koga battle on CS was a HUGE pain. After several tries had to burn Sleep Chaining on him. Good thing the final match was water weak so I could cheese it with 3/5 SS Grimsley EX + May + SS Blue.

Now Koga was a whole new level of difficulty. Even with freaking Leon I wasn't doing well...

Really, if they had released a powerful ice-type unit with EX I wouldn't complain because I could place blame on me not wanting to pay but...

There simply isn't a viable ice type striker in this game. Summer Steven is only passable but even then he'd need at least EX to to viable here

Thankfully the tendency is there won't be ice weakness on the Unova stadium aside from maybe the final fight (Iris version).

As for the datamine:

Normal!Leaf's grid is everything I wanted it to be and then some.

They really made her a gacha version of Skyla. But I don't care. It's what I hoped and wanted lol Also, all that means is that we get another alternative. The more the merrier.

Leaf's gonna be so busted. With EX we get double sync boost and +2 on all stats. Also she'll have very good healing + a chance of flinching (hopefully it'll be possible to get all those nodes). And since she is main character, she'll activate theme skills with Red and Serena, thus making her more viable than Skyla

As unit, Easter!May is average. Love her EX but might take a while since I'll prioritize N and Diantha duo Champio Stadium reasons. I'll get her mostly because something something favorites though. As for Burgh, I'll just see if I pull him with dailies. If not, well, he can make company to Erikanta and NY!Lance

Elio is a support like I wished he was. He just got the pokémon I didn't want him to have. Poor Litten. How good would Support Incineroar with Sunny Day be....

Selene looks good. Her multipliers seem to be the thing that will set her apart from Brendan. Doesn't seem like it'll be the main draw for me using her over Brendan though. In my case there is something charming about storming stages and Champion Stadium using a Treecko (he and Mudkip are staying as they are until Torchic gets evolution).

Selene seems like she'd be helpful on CS in case the player doesn't have Morty or doesn't want to EX him.

I've seen a lot of people not happy with the Eevee grid but personally it's what I wanted out of her. The only thing I hoped for that isn't there was the team version of recuperation that Lillie has. It would've added a little more utility to her sync move but I guess recuperation is fine too. Though I haven't found a way of getting all the tiles I want without running out of energy yet. I want both the potion stuff as well as a bit of Iron Tail utility.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Team Recuperation is asking a bit too much. Depending on where the nodes are getting all healing nodes + MGR 9 (for Sleep Chaining) and maybe Staggering as well, will make her quite busted.

Really, if you can get Staggering with the healing and the MGR9 you broke the game since Red, Serena and Leaf will cruise through everything that doesn't have Wide Awake or something that's crazy enough to kill on one hit (there seems to be data to our "friends" OHKO moves in this update). Recuperation is a nice alternative if Leaf is low on HP, syncing is close and you just want to heal. Getting all those makes her even more broken as it saves you potion nodes and it has the added benefit of a free buff for your team

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
This was kind of like what happened with Dawn, where the Platinum stuff is all around in terms of lore, but they kept HER in her DP attire.

And who said Kukui's getting it? He's the one with the starter that has an advantage over you, but who do we know in Alola that picks the starter weaker than yours?

I don't know Hau they'll make it work, but Kukui's alternate partner could be Hawlucha (A mon found on Alola in USUM that matches the wrestling theme AND has a unique move.)
Highly doubt they’d give him Hawlucha when Incineroar just works so much better. If anything, I see Hawlucha going to an alt for Korrina. Also can’t see Hau with Incineroar because IMO it doesn’t nearly fit as much as either of the other 2.
The datamine showed that MR is showing up in a story event so we’ll see who he has them.

I really dislike seasonal in concept and will never actively try to get them. As for the other news, I don’t really care about the new grids, Pairs, & EXs but I am looking forward to the new content coming up. This will be a good birthday month :p

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member

I think he works fine. I did that battle with my usual ice team of Summer Daigo, Christmas Mei and Prim, didn't have too much trouble. Do you have him at 3/5 so he sets hail on entry?

LordSerperior

Team Recuperation is asking a bit too much. Depending on where the nodes are getting all healing nodes + MGR 9 (for Sleep Chaining) and maybe Staggering as well, will make her quite busted.

Really, if you can get Staggering with the healing and the MGR9 you broke the game since Red, Serena and Leaf will cruise through everything that doesn't have Wide Awake or something that's crazy enough to kill on one hit (there seems to be data to our "friends" OHKO moves in this update). Recuperation is a nice alternative if Leaf is low on HP, syncing is close and you just want to heal. Getting all those makes her even more broken as it saves you potion nodes and it has the added benefit of a free buff for your team
That is true, team recuperation would be busted and would make potion mostly redundant. I just want an actual good user for that passive though since it's hard to use on Lillie.

I don't usually like sleep strategies because I find it boring and also because I don't like Serena. I use Leaf on teams with Kris and Summer Lyra mostly for the accuracy buff and once she buffs speed, I prefer using Iron Tail over Tackle for the defense drops. It's kinda hard to fit the Potion Stuff with Iron Tail stuff, unless I leave Recuperation out.

I think he works fine. I did that battle with my usual ice team of Summer Daigo, Christmas Mei and Prim, didn't have too much trouble. Do you have him at 3/5 so he sets hail on entry?
Same, I also chose the permanent field effect for this battle allowing me to mega evolve Glailie. I mostly did it for Last Word but it didn't even come to that. Frost Breath on the other hand did pretty decent damage for a support.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
i went with the "try not to let anyone faint" passive and knocked out a sidemon first, the bonus debuffs from that help a lot when you don't have an EX Striker.

Hunga

My biggest problem at the moment is just how darn many grass, water and fire Pokémon we got!
We need some more poison, fightning, ground, ice and faerie in my oppinion.
Poison only got a single 5*, same goes for fightning and ground.
Ice does have some more as does faerie but we got no real striker for ice besides a seasonal and faeries are just getting their striker now.
They got a ground top 4 member, koga or his daughter synga suit option and a Galar gym leader as options for these spots.
And for fightning as you said give the prof his mask and a Hawkalucha! :D

In general they got so much unused potential when it comes to sync-pairs!
Would love to see Juan in the game, since he is such a obscure character really.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
No. Only 1/5
That is true, team recuperation would be busted and would make potion mostly redundant. I just want an actual good user for that passive though since it's hard to use on Lillie.
I take Clefairy isn't that bulky?

To be honest, I haven't used normal Lillie that much aside from the Palentine Event. Since I have her much better NY version, I see no use for Clefairy

By the way, looking at sync grid helper, it's possible getting Stagerring + MGR 9 + All healing nodes + Recuperation 1 in one build. Since she triggers Main character theme skill with Red and Serena, I know what to use on Legendary Arena and CS. Will probably use Leon instead of Red on Villa since MP Rekindle is more useful there.