• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Masters Discussion Thread

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Dear god, Ash looks pretty alien with those eyes of his. He really doesn't match the setting. It's like he was injected with too many endorphins.
To be fair he's been that way since his design change in BW.

LordSerperior

I don't know what Ash looks like in the anime these days but I do agree that he really doesn't fit well with the art style of the game and the other characters. Jessie and James look fine so maybe they should have deviated from the anime design to make him fit better. If he is indeed free like the dev letter implied then he will sit in my game right next to my level 45 MC and Pikachu and never be used so at least I won't have to look at him too much.

Cresselia being completely shut down by Topsy Turvy made me really happy. I pulled and EX'd Hilda purely for the costume but she's so fun to use.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I don't know what Ash looks like in the anime these days but I do agree that he really doesn't fit well with the art style of the game and the other characters. Jessie and James look fine so maybe they should have deviated from the anime design to make him fit better. If he is indeed free like the dev letter implied then he will sit in my game right next to my level 45 MC and Pikachu and never be used so at least I won't have to look at him too much.

Cresselia being completely shut down by Topsy Turvy made me really happy. I pulled and EX'd Hilda purely for the costume but she's so fun to use.
Ever since sm, the anime distorted and ruined Ash’s face. Poor boy

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Speculating Ash's passives should be the case of him being added to the game:

Extend Range - Yeah, like Anni N and Sygna Ethan. It works for him because in the anime, Pikachu's thunderbolt seemed to always hit more than one target, despite being a single target move in the games

Hit the gas (I think that was the game) - Since it's mostly implied Ash's Pikachu is special and stronger than the average member of the species, it does make sense giving him one that would make his moves stronger. Heck, I can even see they pulling something crazy and Ash's version of the passive have Thunderbolt be a 4-bar move.

Move-wise, I can see Thunderbolt, Electroweb, Quick Attack + trainer move. Iron Tail could replace Electroweb but I think 'web could work better if he gets a grid with multipliers.

Besides that, if they don't give him EX for some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if his sync move has the perk of hitting all targets (even if he is non-EX) in top the increased crit-chance it has in the games (and I wouldn't doubt they make it so it always critcs but then if it does has an increased crit ratio of +2 in gen 7 so I assume that at max crit it would always crit because even if sync moves have -1 cric chance, the move's perk "evens that out" and then stacks with the the crit buffs)

I don't know what Ash looks like in the anime these days but I do agree that he really doesn't fit well with the art style of the game and the other characters. Jessie and James look fine so maybe they should have deviated from the anime design to make him fit better.

I agree his model looks off in the game. The ones involved in approving/requesting Ash's inclusion should've let DeNA tweak his design a bit so he is consistent with the games' aesthetics. In some shots, the model looks almost like straight out of some of those mods you'd see floating around the web.

I'd say the main issue is with the eyes which are too weird and not quite proportional with the rest of his face.

XY&Z Legend

Just chillin
Those two are in legacy style promoting the AU movies, while Ash is promoting Journeys. The difference is that Ash looks way too animesque compared to them.
Ash looks okay for the most part and it doesn’t bother me (I thought Sora looks out of place in Smash Bros). What I would like to know is why they would put him in this game. Perhaps this is the reason why the anime was on a two-week break because Hoopa warped this boy into the Masters dimension before the tournament.

LordSerperior

Ash looks okay for the most part and it doesn’t bother me (I thought Sora looks out of place in Smash Bros). What I would like to know is why they would put him in this game. Perhaps this is the reason why the anime was on a two-week break because Hoopa warped this boy into the Masters dimension before the tournament.
He's being added to attract the anime fans and he's most likely being given for free to further incentivise them. He has generated quite a lot of buzz among people who were not interested in the game prior so it is working.

As much as I would have liked the anime to be left out of this, if the game ends up performing better due to this, the devs are likely to be more generous with rewards.

LordSerperior

I expect zero character development for Ash, which would be consistent from DeNa.
I stopped watching the anime after Hoenn so I can't be too certain but that seems pretty standard for Ash as well.

That said, I'm sure DeNA has limitations in how much they are allowed to deviate from established canon for characters since it is a non-canon, side game. The characters that have gotten any good stories in Masters have been ones which already had decent development in the games and hence better material to pull from.

XY&Z Legend

Just chillin
I REALLY hope they make Ash a summonable sync pair or maybe even a free sync pair. That would be so exciting for me.
They’ve done it before with Professor Oak and Jessie & James, so there should be no reason to make Ash a free sync pair. At this point, I would believe that Looker could also be a free sync pair if we reached a certain story event in the Villain arc.

LordSerperior

We're getting a free pokefair from the anime collaboration ticket. The only ones from the pool I don't have are Steven and the two Cynthias. I like Steven better than Cynthia so I guess I'm gonna pick him.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
I already read it from the datamine, but the collab story was decent. Nothing special (it could pass for a filler episode in the show), but it did a good job of showing Ash's character and relating Flareon's (possibly contrived? We barely know them) rebellious stage to Ash's Charizard was a smart move.

I found it funny every time Ash pulled out the entire JN team. They got more screentime here than most episodes of Journeys.

janejane6178

I already read it from the datamine, but the collab story was decent. Nothing special (it could pass for a filler episode in the show), but it did a good job of showing Ash's character and relating Flareon's (possibly contrived? We barely know them) rebellious stage to Ash's Charizard was a smart move.

I found it funny every time Ash pulled out the entire JN team. They got more screentime here than most episodes of Journeys.
Am I the only one who always skip all story scenes? lol

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The story was quite good. Although a bit short. But I like how true it was for Ash's character.

Also, found weird Ash just send out all of his team two times. I could understand the first one but the second it felt a bit weird.

janejane6178

The anime did something right for once! And that is...giving us players a guaranteed pull on N.

(Though I only lack Alder, so I'm getting him if he doesn't spawn in the multi-pull first.)
I have N 1/5. Better to pull another one to make 2/5 or pull Adar which I don’t have?

LordSerperior

He just so happened to be brought by Hoopa while he was carrying his whole team, whereas it's implied that every other Sync Pair specifically only brought one Pokemon with them to Pasio, so this comes across as even Lear - who very usually tests his opponents through battle to judge their worth or at the very least has seen said trainers fighting others - noting that Ash is a force to be reckoned with just looks alone just because he flashed his whole team his way (I'd also wager that Lear acted OOC...but then again, Ash's inconsistency rubs off on others, so...it's consistent).
The one Pokemon rule was only emphasized in the very early parts of the main story and really does not reflect what has come since. All of the elite 4 clearly have multiple Pokemon that they use in Champion stadium, same for Noland/Hilda/Darach in the battle villa. Wallace also used his Sealeo in the contest event with Dawn I think. Ignoring sygna suits and seasonals as they have specific stories to explain the new Pokemon, there's the BP pairs where characters casually use a different Pokemon.

LordSerperior

Oh, and one more point. I didn't like how Ash took a beating for Flareon, who's not even his Pokemon. The episode made it look like that it wouldn't really work without Ash doing that over Tina, who was pretty much rendered helpless next to him (...oh no she got Serena'd). He was somehow a cheerleader who got his hands dirty much more than Tina herself.

The Champions (and Hau and Kukui) and Elite Four have better excuses than anyone else because they have their own battle site, so it's understandable that they have variety. ORAS Wallace is on and off Champion.

The Battle Villa seems to be mostly non-canon to the main story, though. Darach, Noland, and to some extent Thorton aren't strangers to having a lot of options themselves.

The BP trainers don't even get focus stories with secondary Pokemon. Morty, in particular, stands by his reason that he didn't bring Gengar over Drifblim (so it can be assumed that the Gengar he's seen with is surely just a friendly one from another trainer, unless somehow he's managed to convince Hoopa to give him a hand).

Though I guess things got a bit inconsistent by the time the Villain Arc began, unless everyone did actually bring more than one Pokemon to Pasio. Some seasonals and Poke Fair trainers just happened to sync with legendary Pokemon suddenly coming to the island.

...And yet, though, it looked a bit too silly how Lear judged Ash as a fearsome trainer when he flashed his team. You'd think Ash would piss Lear off much more, but Lear's only beef with Ash was his very little complaint about Ash being a big eater. That was incredibly low for Lear's standards.
My comment had nothing to do with Ash or how he is perceived because I couldn't care less about him.

I just think the one Pokemon rule was dumb to begin with and they realised it and have stopped bringing it up. Almost all characters are no strangers to using multiple Pokemon, the elite four and frontier brains are not special in that regard. The initial premise was that all these characters either intentionally came to the island with one Pokemon or were somehow transported there with only one Pokemon. The champion stadium/battle villa were initiated later so were the E4 and champions allowed to go back to fetch more Pokemon or did they always have them? Outside of those, a couple of non-E4 trainers used different Pokemon during the training events back in the day and Brycen uses a Zoroark in one of the evolution stories, which was part of the game since launch. The one Pokemon rule was definitely not thought through at all and falls apart if you ponder over it for a bit. The logistics of multiple Pokemon and even seasonals do not make sense given how strongly they stress on Pasio not having any wild Pokemon.

janejane6178

Alder imo. They’re both at least functional at 1/5
But I already have the bug train brothers (Emmet and Ingo).
And N is the only Electric attacker I use.
Shouldn’t I make N stronger ?
Which physical electric attacker u mainly use btw ?