• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity (March 24th 2013)

The boss floors actually weren't what was giving me trouble, strangely enough. I think it was harder because of the Monster Houses using up my PP, and then not having Max Elixirs.

You'll definitely want to level up the moves you use in that particular dungeon in the main game. More PP will be of a tremendous benefit.

Rakurai

I'm finding this game a lot more enjoyable then the previous PMDs so far.

The shift to 3D really did wonders for the presentation of the story, and the cast of characters is very likable, too.

Canto

You'll definitely want to level up the moves you use in that particular dungeon in the main game. More PP will be of a tremendous benefit.

Yeah, I just found out that levelling up moves gets more PP, so I'll definitely be doing more of that.

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to do more than one job from the bulletin board at a time? As far as I can see it seems like you can't.

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
So far, every dungeon looks exactly the same layout-wise. I noticed that the Magnagate dungeons all had the same basic maps, just an arrangement of about 6 different rooms and 3 different tunnels connecting them, but I didn't think that same exact pattern would translate into the actual gameplay. I really hope we get some more variety in room types, because so far the only thing separating dungeons from each other are the aesthetic details and the kinda lame outdoor sections...

And to make it so that this whole post isn't a rant... I did enjoy the conclusion to the Gurrdurr/Scrafty storyline.

So I wasn't the only one to notice a more simplistic dungeon pattern generator. There does appear to be some minor variance between the different dungeons, though.

Bliu

Professional Lurker
I haven't enjoyed a script in a game this much since Kid Icarus: Uprising.

"The reason this is called the Mysterious Mountain is because mysterious things happen around it. The details are all wrapped in mystery, but..."
I love you Umbreon, don't ever change.

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
So, let's see...

- No Team Ranks
- Partner Pokemon easily lose track of you and wander off, even in tight corridors
- The game throws a Level 20 High-Tier Pokemon to you for free
- You can't do more than 1 mission at a time
- Mission rewards are very poor, due mainly to Team Ranks being gone
- Shared EXP, even among members not in the dungeon, reducing grinding and replayability
- Text Speed is still just as bad as it was in the demo
- Game forces you into the Nickname screen every time you recruit a new member
- Recruitment Rates greatly increased, removing the grind to gather new partners
- Story Dungeons broken up by "Press This To Progress" environmental "puzzles"
- One, fun looking Boss Battle was ruined and made too easy by half the current cast showing up to help
- Multiple shops that all sell similar items, making you run around the whole town between missions
- The level's grid is hard to figure out without turning the grid itself on permanently (Do NOT try doing through a dungeon with the Circle Pad... you'll fly all over the place)
- No water or abyss portions yet, and the Litwick I've encountered have not been able to go through walls (mechanics taken away, or possibly I just haven't seen them yet)

On the opposite end of the spectrum...

+ Move Levels increase a Move's PP, fixing one of the previous title's issues
+ Team Attack is useful for clearing out annoyingly crowded rooms
+ Dungeon Generation is getting better as I progress
+ Characters are still lively and personable
+ The difficulty is still very much there

These are my observations from the past couple of hours.

Rakurai

So, let's see...

- No Team Ranks

There's a paradise rank instead.

- Partner Pokemon easily lose track of you and wander off, even in tight corridors

I agree on this being annoying.

- The game throws a Level 20 High-Tier Pokemon to you for free
- You can't do more than 1 mission at a time
- Mission rewards are very poor, due mainly to Team Ranks being gone

This changes later.

- Shared EXP, even among members not in the dungeon, reducing grinding and replayability

...Grinding is a good thing?

- Text Speed is still just as bad as it was in the demo
- Game forces you into the Nickname screen every time you recruit a new member
- Recruitment Rates greatly increased, removing the grind to gather new partners

Once again... Grinding is a good thing?

- Story Dungeons broken up by "Press This To Progress" environmental "puzzles"
- One, fun looking Boss Battle was ruined and made too easy by half the current cast showing up to help
- Multiple shops that all sell similar items, making you run around the whole town between missions

You can open specialty shops in the paradise.

- The level's grid is hard to figure out without turning the grid itself on permanently (Do NOT try doing through a dungeon with the Circle Pad... you'll fly all over the place)
- No water or abyss portions yet, and the Litwick I've encountered have not been able to go through walls (mechanics taken away, or possibly I just haven't seen them yet)

On the opposite end of the spectrum...

+ Move Levels increase a Move's PP, fixing one of the previous title's issues
+ Team Attack is useful for clearing out annoyingly crowded rooms
+ Dungeon Generation is getting better as I progress
+ Characters are still lively and personable
+ The difficulty is still very much there

These are my observations from the past couple of hours.

Remarks in bold.

On a separate note, I purchased the Skill Treasury DLC mostly for the purpose of getting early access to Deino. Hustle makes it hit ridiculously hard (Gets critical hits of over 100 damage on similarly leveled Pokemon), but I hope there's a way to work around the accuracy penalty it gives.

I also learned the hard way that the easy methods of stealing from the Kecleon shop in the previous games no longer work in this game, as a mob of Kecleon appear RIGHT next to your team leader the moment Kecleon sounds the alarm, meaning they'll block the staircase if you use a Pure Seed. It's possible that using a Warp Seed, then a Pure Seed might work, though.

Last edited:

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
For me, grinding can be a good thing. I enjoy grinding in Pokemon games, for example, since battles are varied and you feel strong and rewarded for it. In games like Final Fantasy, where it literally is tapping A and running around for a few hours, I'm anti-grind. But, yes, in Mystery Dungeon, I enjoy grinding. I admit to this being my personal preference.

I am glad, though, that we get a rank system and specialty shops later. Hopefully soon, since I'm currently getting Gurrdurr some vines for his carpentry.

Rakurai

I'm kind of glad I didn't spend too much time trying to get TMs in the demo, because they're extremely common in the mid-level magnagates, particularly on the boss floor.

Not uncommon to find one or two TMs per run.

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
Well that's a bit disheartening to those who spent forever stocking up with the demo, but in a way, I'm glad that people who skipped the demo aren't left at a disadvantage of any sort.

Rakurai

On a separate note regarding the magnagates, they're a good way for those who are interested in the game's soundtrack to hear some of the themes that only show up late in the story early on.

The theme for the desert dungeons in particular stands out as being amazing.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Oh and, please, can someone tell me if I can go to the dungeons with my original team, in the demo version ? The only way I found to play is in the section "Find a Magnagate", wich is always giving me Axew, Oshawott or Tepig...

Last edited:

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
Oh and, please, can someone tell me if I can go to the dungeons with my original team, in the demo version ? The only way I found to play is in the section "Find a Magnagate", wich is always giving me Axew, Oshawott or Tepig...

Unfortunately, in the demo, you only get the first two dungeons in the story, and the rest are the Magnagates that exclude your starters.

Rakurai

There's five different attack ranges I'm aware of, which are directly in front, all Pokemon adjacent to you, two squares ahead of you (All of the priority moves like Quick Attack and Aqua Jet use this range), up to 10 spaces in front of you, and the entire room.

They all seemed pretty self-explanatory to me. The only ones that vary under certain circumstances are the full room moves, which if used in a corridor, will hit every enemy Pokemon within two spaces of you instead (Unless it specifically notes that it has friendly fire enabled).

On a separate note, I really hope that this game is like the previous PMDs where all Pokemon have a period of high growth for each of their stats upon leveling up, because it's seriously disturbing that Joltik only has 30 HP at level 15, which is less then half that of most other Pokemon. All of its other stats are solid, but it makes using it as the leader in companion mode suicidal.

Last edited:

Torpoleon

For the people who transferred their demo version to the actual game, are you able to then delete the demo? It takes up a decent amount of blocks, so if I could delete it after it is transferred, that would be great.

Also, is it true that the English version doesn't let you pick the genders for your hero & partner, or was that only not in the demo?

Rakurai

For the people who transferred their demo version to the actual game, are you able to then delete the demo? It takes up a decent amount of blocks, so if I could delete it after it is transferred, that would be great.

Also, is it true that the English version doesn't let you pick the genders for your hero & partner, or was that only not in the demo?

You indeed can't pick your genders.

This only means that you can't have a Pikachu partner with a different looking tail, as it didn't affect the dialogue in the Japanese version.

The only times I've actually seen the genders of your characters mentioned at all was in the first moments of the game, where your hero partner were both referred to as being male a grand total of one time each, which makes me think it most likely was just an oversight in the demo that may have been fixed in the full game, seeing as I'm about to start chapter 4 and it's yet to have been brought up again.

Last edited: