• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity (March 24th 2013)

*IZ*

OK, why are so many people immediately jumping to conclusions about there only being 5 starters?

When the first Mystery Dungeons were announced they didn't announce every starter. Why is everyone suddenly being so irrational about this?
I don't really see enough people "jumping to conclusions"
I do see how everyones doing a list of what they think can be starters.

Man, oh man, these games were what I was waiting for. I'm so excited for these games. I probably will be either Piplup with the partner as chimchar, or I might do it like how I do all my first playthroughs, which is stick with the starter I originally get just by taking the quiz. In blue I was treecko and in explorers of time I was Cyndaquil. I wonder what I will get this time.

Blazios

But i really hope that there are more Hero/Partner Pokémon, If there are only 5, then, I don't think I buy the game.
While I seriously am extremely excited for a new mystery dungeon, I am dissapointed about the extreme limitation to character selection. While I understand including pikachu and the most recent starters, why axew? And why just the 5 of them? May I remind everybody that its predecessor had more than 4x the possible playable characters?

As well as plenty of people wondering out loud if these are the only 5 starters (Mostly in other threads, but the point stands).

ManhattanTheStarr

I can perfectly understand why people would jump to conclusions. You can never be perfectly assured without confirmation when it comes to video games. What fans are seeing, is that there may only be 5 available Pokemon, as it's all that was shown in the scans. Without any information being given on whether there will be more starters, or if Pikachu truly is the only playable Pokemon, people're gonna freak out! It's what's to be expected.

Oh, and to hopefully assure those that are believing that Pikachu might be the only playable Pokemon: http://www.serebii.net/corocoro103.jpg
You can see on one of the pictures, a Pignite traveling solo in a dungeon. No Pikachu to be seen. This could confirm that you are able to play as other Pokemon rather than just Pikachu. But who knows. *shrugs*

Even though most people will probably scroll right past my starters speculation, here goes (mostly 'cuz I'm bored and have nothing else better to do):

Gen I
Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
Pikachu
Meowth
Eevee
Psyduck

Gen II
Chikorita
Cyndaquil
Totodile
Elekid
Magby
Marill
Tyrouge

Gen III
Treecko
Torchic
Mudkip
Skitty
Ralts
Electrike

Gen IV
Turtwig
Chimchar
Piplup
Riolu
Munchlax
Buneary
Shinx
Buizel

Gen V
Snivy
Tepig
Oshawott
Axew
Zorua
Drilbur
Mienfoo
Lillipup

...Hm, when I look at this, I can't help but think that it's a bit too large a roster... but hell, if we actually end up having this many playable Pokemon, I will not be disappointed. :p

Last edited:

YinYang

Fire and Shadows
This'll be awesome. I'm still waiting for Black 2, and now I have to wait for this. It just gets better and better (not the waiting).

*IZ*

As well as plenty of people wondering out loud if these are the only 5 starters (Mostly in other threads, but the point stands).

Well yea right now there seems to be a catch since this game seems just too good to be true. I wouldn't blame them.

Liltwick

Just your Sleepy FIzzy Mod
I can perfectly understand why people would jump to conclusions. You can never be perfectly assured without confirmation when it comes to video games. What fans are seeing, is that there may only be 5 available Pokemon, as it's all that was shown in the scans. Without any information being given on whether there will be more starters, or if Pikachu truly is the only playable Pokemon, people're gonna freak out! It's what's to be expected.

Even though most people will probably scroll right past my starters speculation, here goes (mostly 'cuz I'm bored and have nothing else better to do):

Gen I
Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
Pikachu
Meowth
Eevee
Psyduck

Gen II
Chikorita
Cyndaquil
Totodile
Elekid
Magby
Marill
Tyrouge

Gen III
Treecko
Torchic
Mudkip
Skitty
Ralts
Electrike

Gen IV
Turtwig
Chimchar
Piplup
Riolu
Munchlax
Buneary
Shinx
Buizel

Gen V
Snivy
Tepig
Oshawott
Axew
Zorua
Drilbur
Mienfoo
Lillipup

...Hm, when I look at this, I can't help but think that it's a bit too large a roster... but hell, if we actually end up having this many playable Pokemon, I will not be disappointed. :p

I do agree with you on the most part, but why Lillipup and Drillbur? Litwick is a better choice IMO, but seriously, Lillipup? That's technically a Com Mon, and we've never played as them before... (Shinx isn't, it just isn't)

ManhattanTheStarr

I do agree with you on the most part, but why Lillipup and Drillbur? Litwick is a better choice IMO, but seriously, Lillipup? That's technically a Com Mon, and we've never played as them before... (Shinx isn't, it just isn't)

Haha, and why Phanpy? Drilbur is pretty much just that random playable Ground-type. Like Cubone was in BRT/RRT and Phanpy in EoS. And Lillipup for its simplicity. Just a plain ol' playable Normal-type. Like Meowth and Eevee. Though maybe Minccino would be a better choice for the Normal-type... hmmm.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Can't freaking wait. I spent so much time on explorers of time.

Same. I remember pretending to be Impish in the beginning test just so I could be a Piplup, and loving the game every second after.

This game looks great, too, though I wish there were more choices for pokemon to be.

Torpoleon

I can't wait for this! Been waiting for such a long time for a new PMD game! I love that they are moving things to 3D too (maybe the overworld in the main series will do the same with Generation VI on the 3DS?). I highly doubt the partners we know of now are the only ones. I do hope we can be a hero that doesn't have to be just Pikachu though!

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
Is it confirmed that you can only play as Pikachu or will it be like past installments where you could be a variety?

Err, out of curiosity, why are people thinking this?

I hope we can evolve before beating the game this time.

I agree. Just have use evolve when we get to the right level/have the right item.

I don't understand it at all. Since when do games revel everything the first time their showcased?

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
I am stoked for this. Just sayin'.

being dreams, we can justify anything. also, the scenary in while in the dugeon looks beautiful comparitive to what it always has kind of looked like.

but just to keep up with this, my original reaction was "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS." I repeated that line 20 times before I posted something about it. XDD

Liltwick

Just your Sleepy FIzzy Mod
Let's see, will this game be called

PMD:MIL or PMD3?

Knightfall

Blazing Wordsmith
Knightfall said:
There will be one, Nintendo isn't about to let Mystery Dungeo die. It has arguably one of the biggest fanbases of any of the Pokemon spinoffs, and brings in a good bit of publicity and revenue. Two things that makes a game series good.

Yes, the next Mystery Dungeon game will be here, most likely after the hype for Black 2 and White 2 dies down. It's probably already in development, or at the very least planning stage.
This stuff takes time, I mean they have to come up with a plot (one with meaning, a few major twists, and an emotional ending) which is a feat in itself, then comes the actual game and software development and coding (not to mention all the work that goes into creating the dungeons themselves, I mean no two dungeon maps are exactly alike, that takes effort), and than come the goodies like the WiFi connections among other things they have to add to the game.

So yeah, that's my bit of rambling. The sum of that big wall of text is: they are probably working on it, it'll take some time.

There will be another one, mark my words.

Knightfall signing off...;005;

I posted that on May 20th. I was right.

I wonder how the 3DS format will effect the traditional dungeon crawling experience or how the game play might be changed. I can tell you for sure that I'll be finding out as soon as it hits U.S shores.

PMD Gen V! It's finally here! Rejoice people of the world!

Knightfall signing off... ;005;

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!
Maybe we'll have the Musketeer Trio and Keldeo for the main storyline and Keldeo helps you in the final battle against Kyurem? I'd like to see something like that.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
YAY!

I like the new art and market map, it just looks more natural.

I hope there are a few more starter choices. It would be totally awesome if they ever let you pick any first evolution pokemon to play, then (almost) everyone would be happy, but I know there's no way that's going to happen.

It looks like the m-gate photos are all round things (clock, coin, plate, bald guy's head), and there's the circle on screen, so there must be some story/reasoning behind that.

Azurus

The Ancient Absol
I did that high pitched barely audible squeal of joy when I saw this and couldn't wait to tell everyone about it. I am super hyped for this game and I speculate a late spring to early summer release.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Here are my predictions for the Player/Partner options. I put 6 per region. Most are the same as the ones from PMD Sky but I added extras to the regions that have less than 6. Some I picked at random lol.

Kanto:
Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
Pikachu
Vulpix
Eevee

Johto:
Chikorita
Cyndaquil
Totodile
Phanpy
Elekid
Magby

Hoenn:
Treecko
Torchic
Mudkip
Ralts
Skitty
Bagon

Sinnoh:
Turtwig
Chimchar
Piplup
Shinx
Munchlax
Riolu

Unova:
Snivy
Tepig
Oshawott
Munna
Zorua
Axew

And yeah, I hope they don't pull the whole Gender-specific starters. Hopefully when selecting a partner, we can choose it's Gender. Also all playable Pokemon can be either Gender like Female Riolu or Male Eevee etc. Not all of the Natures have been used in the Quiz so yeah...

Looks good. He are my predictions.

Kanto
Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
Pikachu
Vulpix
Cubone (they seriously need to bring this back from RB)

Johto
Chikorita
Cyndaquil
Totodile
Phanpy
Mareep (why not?)

Hoenn
Treecko
Torchic
Mudkip
Gulpin
Spoink

Sinnoh
Turtwig
Chimchar
Piplup
Shinx
Riolu
Cherubi

Unova
Snivy
Tepig
Oshawott
Munna
Zorua
Axew
Cubchoo
Sandile
Blitzle
Minccino

Partners
Munchlax
Buneary
Meowth
Purrloin

Last edited:
I'm really excited for this game, I have been waiting for it since BW came out. The only thing that worries me is the graphical change, I know it's like that to suit the 3D effect, and I know change is necassery for a game to evolve, it's just that I always liked the old graphics and animations. I'll give it a try as I love the PMD series, and I hope I end up loving this aswell.

Bespinben

I hope we can evolve before beating the game this time.

Actually, I would prefer otherwise. Evolution represents a large milestone in the Player's life, the transition from being a human in a Pokemon's body to being a full-fledged 'Mon, so forcing the choice of evolution too early on in the game would diminish the significance of that theme.

Rakurai

Pretty sure the main reason they didn't let you evolve during the story in the previous games was because it would mean having to create a whole new set of character portraits for their evolved forms, since your hero and partner need to be able to show their expressions and what not.

Now that the game is in 3D, I presume they'll be relying more on animations to get emotions across.