• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity (March 24th 2013)

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
So, everywhere except for here I've been hearing it's awful compared to Explorers of Sky. I want a definitive answer, either it's good or it's obviously much worse than the other games in quality

Rakurai

The only regard it's really lacking in is the amount of content, and that mostly pertains to it not having as many Pokemon to recruit. That said, it's still kept me busy long enough to feel I got my money's worth out of it (140+ hours).

I feel it's improved over its predecessors in virtually every other regard.

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
The only regard it's really lacking in is the amount of content, and that mostly pertains to it not having as many Pokemon to recruit. That said, it's still kept me busy long enough to feel I got my money's worth out of it (140+ hours).

I feel it's improved over its predecessors in virtually every other regard.

The text speed for example. Would it really be that hard to detect and fix for them?

Rakurai

Bothersome, but it's really not that big of a deal.

If it's enough to totally kill someone's experience with the game, then I'd say they have some issues.

hawkmbl

Curious
Bothersome, but it's really not that big of a deal.

If it's enough to totally kill someone's experience with the game, then I'd say they have some issues.

Agreed. Text speed shouldn't be a game breaker. I can't even believe that so many reviewers say that the story is dull and that the slow text makes the game godawful when it is not. It's really sad.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Agreed. Text speed shouldn't be a game breaker. I can't even believe that so many reviewers say that the story is dull and that the slow text makes the game godawful when it is not. It's really sad.

That is just pathetic.

And the story is like the best of the series, and it had actual Character Development (well, outside Meloetta), unlike the other ones, where you just had some random Smeargle join you who ran away because he finds paw prints gross ._.

Thisngame is like the best PMD ever to most people (albeit I like Rescue Team better :p ... Somehow) and even though there is virtually no post-game storyline content other than Meloetta and Worldcore, it's still insanely addicting with Paradise and stuff.

Change of topic, I just got 7 Fire Stones in a row from the Prize Palace Scratch Tickets <_< now I have like 13 of them.

Erm, is there any other way to get the Type based Gifts other than using Wondermail or going through Cape At The Edge? :p

Rakurai

The Kecleon Bazaar DLC has them as common items from sparkling spots and they can occasionally be found on the ground, as well.

They also show up as rewards from the challenge board requests at times.

Type-based gifts are most easily found in the DLC dungeon Kecleon Bazaar. A single trip can net you 2-5 random type gifts.
Otherwise ranking up your paradise will over time get you one each of the 5 type gifts represented by the starters' types.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
you want to talk about dull and awful, id point more towards the beginning of Sky. usually takes me and hour or 2 to get to naming my team. The Rest of the game is fine, from what i remember though.

As for Gates to Infinity, the lack of starter pokemon kills the fun for me more than lack of recruitable pokemon. i also find Magnagates more fun then the story.

hawkmbl

Curious
That is just pathetic.

And the story is like the best of the series, and it had actual Character Development (well, outside Meloetta), unlike the other ones, where you just had some random Smeargle join you who ran away because he finds paw prints gross ._.

Thisngame is like the best PMD ever to most people (albeit I like Rescue Team better :p ... Somehow) and even though there is virtually no post-game storyline content other than Meloetta and Worldcore, it's still insanely addicting with Paradise and stuff.

Change of topic, I just got 7 Fire Stones in a row from the Prize Palace Scratch Tickets <_< now I have like 13 of them.

Erm, is there any other way to get the Type based Gifts other than using Wondermail or going through Cape At The Edge? :p

Some people on youtube and other sites who I talked to about this PMD say that the text speed is the ONLY reason they won't buy the game. Not because of story, not because of gameplay, but because of MOVING TEXT. I don't get it. If a reviewer is gonna bash PMD over text speed, then they shouldn't even be playing RPGs in the first place.

...Though call me crazy, but I think the next PMD needs full voice acting and cinema cutscenes. (Like YS I II)

Rakurai

I wish they could've done a proper miniseries for one of the PMD games instead of a one episode special.

I would've at least liked a special for Gates. Preferably one covering chapter 5, since I'd love to hear what kind of voice they'd choose for
Hydreigon.

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
Well I am at chapter four now...I think...visited Kyurem's dungeon for the first time...two in-game days ago...I am doing missions for materials for my pokemon paradise...I'd like to see those weird lights Emolga talked about...

Ludwig

I just finished the story
up to getting my starter back from the worldcore
is there any way to make the partner standby and go on requests alone with my starter?

Rakurai

The only way you can exclude your hero and/or partner from the team outside of Companion Mode is to enter a dungeon from the crossroads, which gives you full control over who comes along.

Otherwise, they'll always have to come on requests, excluding the ones that require the use of one Pokemon.

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
I think I am underleveled...I am level 29...and I am at the end of chapter 5...I think...I am going back to pokemon paradise to take on the villains...

Rakurai

That is a bit low, since the Pokemon in the final dungeons are in mid 30s to low 40s range level wise.

Still, when considering how minimal the level up stat gains are, it's really not that big of a deal in thee long run, especially if you've been using vitamins.

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
Well it turned out I was nowhere near finished with that chapter...

between meeting Hydreigon and going back to Pokemon Paradise to take on Kyurem and the Bittercold there are at least 5 dungeons. I have rescued my partner from Munna's clutches and now I have to go through a desert...and I am not even sure that it's the last dungeon before Pokemon Paradise...

My character Oshawott is now level 34...which is not terribly underleveled compared to the level I was in Explorers of time when I fought against Dialga (level 39)...

I'll have to come back to all of the aforementioned dungeons later on since there are quite a few pokémon there I'd like to recruit...

Where can I get more vitamins and is there a method for winning easily at Beartic Hockey...?

Rakurai

I was level 36 or so when I beat the final boss, so you should be good.

I didn't use any vitamins at all, either.

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
Finished the story...now I think I'll have to
get the hero back
even if I don't know how yet...

I was level 39 when I beat the final boss...^^

Lord Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
I am new to the mystery dungeon games and my friend shade suggested explorers of sky. When I turned up empty handed I purchased Magnagate instead. I'm hearing from multiple sources that the 3DS MD is terrible by comparison. Should I return it and continue the search for sky or just stick to my guns?