• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity (March 24th 2013)

hawkmbl

Curious
This game's soundtrack as a whole had a certain feel of grandeur to it that the previous games lacked, and is easily among my favorite video game soundtracks overall.

But yeah. Every song that the Theme of Hope is present in is particularly awesome, such as the ending themes, the second final boss theme, and the final dungeon theme. The last of the three is especially noteworthy to me because of how they also incorporated the Despair theme into it, which is symbolic of how those two elements are frequently clashing with one another throughout the story.

Neverending bond and Depressed death (Ending intro and epilogue) Are good too... And Neverending bond has the theme of hope as well

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
My 3DS says i have offically put 100 hours into Gates to Infinity now. Dont know if that counts my 3DS being in sleep mode, but still.

Still havent gotten anywhere near chapter 4 though and ive only beaten chapter 3 once .

Ive been constantly resetting (due to lack of starter pokemon), doing magnagates, and companion mode.

the story just doesnt seem to interest me all that much.

Last edited:

Rakurai

That's kind of understandable, considering that the story doesn't really pick up until chapter 4.

I also really don't understand what the lack of starter Pokemon would have to do with restarting the game so often.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
its mostly picking a combo of the 5.

i went from axew and tepig, to oshawott and tepig, to pikachu and snivy, then snivy and axew, then pikachu and tepig, and now im back to oshawott and tepig. im sure ive done other combos as well, though.

it like i dont want to use the unova starters, but i have to because they are the only option.

Last edited:

lavulin

I just got Meloetta in my team and I saw that she doesn't share experience. I mean she is lvl 15 and she doesn't evolve like the rest of the pokemons in dungeons when you first step if your leader is a higher level. :( Aww.... Such a shame, she is my favorite.

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
Maybe if you just got her she hasn't yet received any leaked experience ? Try to do some dungeons and then put her back into the team to check...

Should I evolve my Zweilous since I already have Hydreigon ?
Should I keep my Pikachu or try to befriend a Pichu and evolve it ?
I have an Eevee and the items to evolve it into Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, and Glaceon...but I already have Espeon, Umbreon, Glaceon and Flareon in my team...should I keep them and evolve Eevee into Leafeon, Vaporeon or Jolteon or release them and have one of my own ?
How to level up earthquake ? It damages everybody even my own team...how can I use the move without killing the others ? Are there any ground types with levitate (I usually build teams full of pokémon sharing the same type as the V-Wave)...
My Haxorus has more attack than special Attack...but Dragon Pulse has higher base damage than Dragon Claw...which one is better then ?
Should I keep Blizzard on all of my Ice types (for the power and to damage the whole room) even if they have more attack than special attack ?
Should I replace Aqua tail on my Samurott since he/she has 98 spe attack and 78 attack ? Or is that compensated by the use of Swords Dance beforehand ?
Should I keep Quick Attack on my Espeon ?

Last edited:

Rakurai

Maybe if you just got her she hasn't yet received any leaked experience ? Try to do some dungeons and then put her back into the team to check...

Should I evolve my Zweilous since I already have Hydreigon ?
Should I keep my Pikachu or try to befriend a Pichu and evolve it ?
I have an Eevee and the items to evolve it into Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, and Glaceon...but I already have Espeon, Umbreon, Glaceon and Flareon in my team...should I keep them and evolve Eevee into Leafeon, Vaporeon or Jolteon or release them and have one of my own ?

Evolution provides a minimal bonus of +10 HP and +5 to every other stat, which is the only thing you really need to consider outside of the few Pokemon who have pre-evo only moves. It's really up to you in the long run.

How to level up earthquake ? It damages everybody even my own team...how can I use the move without killing the others ? Are there any ground types with levitate (I usually build teams full of pokémon sharing the same type as the V-Wave)...

Hydreigon is the only Pokemon in the game who has Levitate as an ability. You could also just tell your teammates to wait at a distance in a hallway so it doesn't hit them (Its range only extends one tile into hallways if the user is in a room).

My Haxorus has more attack than special Attack...but Dragon Pulse has higher base damage than Dragon Claw...which one is better then ?

Dragon Claw. To my knowledge, all moves can be boosted to have maximum power using Power Manuals (Which are dirt cheap considering how common gold bars are in the post game.)

Should I keep Blizzard on all of my Ice types (for the power and to damage the whole room) even if they have more attack than special attack ?

I would, considering how much stronger it is then all of the physical Ice attacks.

Should I replace Aqua tail on my Samurott since he/she has 98 spe attack and 78 attack ? Or is that compensated by the use of Swords Dance beforehand ?

Swords Dance more then makes up for the attack deficiency.

Should I keep Quick Attack on my Espeon ?

If you don't have the Slipthrough IQ skill, yes. If you do, replace it with a ranged attack like Psybeam.

Answers in bold.

On an unrelated note, after 160 hours of gameplay, I finally have the complete Kami trio. Granted, I probably only spent about eight of those hours searching for them, but it felt longer then that.

I also learned that if a Pokemon's Pickup ability (Lillipup being the only holder of it)) triggers while you're in one of those treasure rooms at the end of one of the DLC or postgame dungeons, you can get rare items from it (Such as the normally Path of No Return/Ultimate Wolds exclusive hold items).

hawkmbl

Curious
So much points left to get the final rank for me.... And I'm not getting any missions above 10 stars. How can I get harder missions?

And I've been worrying again, for this game's metacritic score has Fallen a LOT. And the user reviews don't seem good either. Here's an example of one that was a 4/10 by a user that confused me.

" 4 My family has been playing Pokemon games from the very start. In fact we still own just about every game and duplicates of many. I like the Mystery Dungeon series. This game should not have been classified as a Mystery Dungeon it should have been classified as a beginning READER. I like to play video games on my 3DS, DS Lite, SP, GBA, and GBC but this "game" is more story and less game. It took me 1/2 an hour to get through one text section (I wasn't even reading just pressing the A button) and it doesn't allow you to go into Dungeons if you have an objective to fulfill (which is more story that you need to get through) Hopefully I will finish the game before I run out of patience pressing my A button."

Mr. L 500

YOOM-TAH!
Hey guys. I've never played a Pokemon MD game, and I was considering possibly picking this one up sometime. I've seen some mixed reviews on it, but what is you guy's opinion of it?

Rakurai

You should just play the demo, and see if you enjoy the gameplay.

If you do, then get it.

Mr. L 500

YOOM-TAH!
Okie dokie. I played the the demo as soon as I came out but never ended up buying the game. After reading what others have said here and elsewhere, it seems like something I'd enjoy playing, so I'll probably pick up a copy sometime.

Chakra1412

So much points left to get the final rank for me.... And I'm not getting any missions above 10 stars. How can I get harder missions?

And I've been worrying again, for this game's metacritic score has Fallen a LOT. And the user reviews don't seem good either. Here's an example of one that was a 4/10 by a user that confused me.

" 4 My family has been playing Pokemon games from the very start. In fact we still own just about every game and duplicates of many. I like the Mystery Dungeon series. This game should not have been classified as a Mystery Dungeon it should have been classified as a beginning READER. I like to play video games on my 3DS, DS Lite, SP, GBA, and GBC but this "game" is more story and less game. It took me 1/2 an hour to get through one text section (I wasn't even reading just pressing the A button) and it doesn't allow you to go into Dungeons if you have an objective to fulfill (which is more story that you need to get through) Hopefully I will finish the game before I run out of patience pressing my A button."

So much is wrong with that review. Some people really just shouldn't write any if they don't understand how. If that person really like the Mystery Dungeon games as they say the number 1 thing they should know is the Mystery Dungeon games are mainly story. If you want just game only then beat it and play random dungeons, there's your gameplay right there. I have seen few good reviews on this, but those that give it good reviews are fair on it. It's the one thing I still don't see right about these reviewers for these games. This game is a hidden gem among other games, yet reviews tend to destroy it in ratings

hawkmbl

Curious
So much is wrong with that review. Some people really just shouldn't write any if they don't understand how. If that person really like the Mystery Dungeon games as they say the number 1 thing they should know is the Mystery Dungeon games are mainly story. If you want just game only then beat it and play random dungeons, there's your gameplay right there. I have seen few good reviews on this, but those that give it good reviews are fair on it. It's the one thing I still don't see right about these reviewers for these games. This game is a hidden gem among other games, yet reviews tend to destroy it in ratings

And reviewers who just claim they IGNORE the story to mash the A button is very irritating. It's like our generation is lacking patience!

Chakra1412

I remember myself playing Blue Rescue for the first time mainly cause I wanted to see how a Pokemon game could be where "you" are the Pokemon. Always thought it would be interesting ever since before it was even announced. After giving it a chance I never thought much on it other than "that was good" and didn't think much on the music (mainly cause I didn't play with it on much as well as playing it at school at the time.

After T/D came out, it completely changed my thoughts on it and how great the series really was, cause there wasn't one moment were I had the game mute or one bit of story I missed. Then years later Sky helped even more with those special stories. After taking in that full story I decided to go back and give Blue another shot...and it changed my opinion on it. Paying more attention to the story and music putting "yourself" in the avatar characters place is what really gets you into the story and what's going on more...but it seems these days it's hard for people to do and it sets them up to destroy something many truly enjoy in these games, because Blue/Red Rescue did it well, EoT/D/S improved it even more, and GTI completely surprised me with how good it was. I honestly doubted that they could come up with anything better than the Explorer games...but they surprised me with GTI. If they could do something like that I can't wait to see what they have in store for a 4th game (and no I DO NOT count the Wii games as we never got them).

~Silver Aura~

Back...ish
And reviewers who just claim they IGNORE the story to mash the A button is very irritating. It's like our generation is lacking patience!

What?! you can't ignore a PMD story it's just not on! :( I got PMD: Blue for Christmas several years back I wasn't sure about the game at first. (It was the special that convinced me to give it a go.) I played and was blown away! This was back during the tail end of Gen III so I wasn't used to big story lines in a pokemon game. Anyway getting back on topic. I am now trying to get the materials for Music Paradise. It's NOT easy!

pinkpokefan63

I haven't played this game yet and I have a few questions:
Can you recruit any legendary pokemon during the main game?
When and how do you evolve pokemon?
What do you do post-game?
Thank you for reading!

hawkmbl

Curious
As I asked earlier and got no response, I'll ask again, how can I get missions above a 10 star difficulty? The missions are extremely easy for me and the game is now boring to play, even though I really want that final rank...

Rakurai

As far as I'm aware, you don't.

Which is a unifying flaw in the PMD series. Anything that isn't a level 1 dungeon is eventually going to become a total joke due to the lack of level scaling and high difficulty missions.

I haven't played this game yet and I have a few questions:
Can you recruit any legendary pokemon during the main game?
When and how do you evolve pokemon?
What do you do post-game?
Thank you for reading!

1. Virizion is a mandatory party member in the main story, but that's it.

2. All Pokemon excluding your starter and partner can evolve the moment they meet the criteria while in a dungeon. The mentioned two need to wait until the story is completely over before they can do so, as was the case in Explorers.

3. The usual stuff. Explore new dungeons and recruit more Pokemon. You can also work on building up the Pokemon Paradise further, as you don't get access to the highest grade materials until after the main story.

Last edited:

Chakra1412

As I asked earlier and got no response, I'll ask again, how can I get missions above a 10 star difficulty? The missions are extremely easy for me and the game is now boring to play, even though I really want that final rank...

yeah sadly there is no way of getting missions higher than 10 stars. Best way I found was grabbing all the high leveled missions I saw pop up in case none showed up for awhile. Also making sure it was high leveled mission with a low floor destination. Within 4-8 floors as it helped speed things along. Occasional legendary missions with the special encounters on the left board helped too when nothing showed up.

Yamask

Super Barbie
I was excited for this game, I really was. I enjoyed PMD Blue a lot, so I was looking forward to better graphics and improved controls.

And of course, a new selection of Pokémon.

That was, until I realized there are not nearly as many as before. The thing I enjoyed most about the Mystery Dungeon series was the fact that you could choose and play as your favourites. Hundreds of Pokémon with their own animations. And I always liked how they included Pokémon from different generations, not just the newest one. And the challenge of recruiting legendaries, as well as Keckleon which was almost impossible. But it was fun.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed. I like some aspects of GtI (the graphics are good, and the ending made me cry. Don't judge), but there are things that bother me as well.

- Pretty much only gen. 5 Pokémon (which is, personally, my least favourite generation)
- Most job missions are too easy
- Everyone talks a lot. Not only in story mode (getting through all that unnecessary chit-chat was awful), but shop keepers and even game notices - like when a mystery disortion appears - contain a lot of text and are very slow. Opening more than 5 treasure chests hurts my A button.
- Very few legendaries compared to earlier games (and even less can be recruited)
- No sleeping animation when you wake up after you've evolved
- You can't rescue friends over Wi-Fi
- You can't find TMs and evolutionary stones in regular dungeons
- Too easy to earn money (IMO), as you don't have to use a lot on things like friend areas. Building Paradise Facilities is quite cheap.
- Not as many dungeons as before. You have to go online and buy more. ... No. I already bought the game. I'm not gonna pay even more to get as many dungeons that were free in the previous games. And not everyone has access to Wi-Fi.
- Just a small pet peeve of mine.. I don't like how my game tells me to take a break after I've played for a certain amount of time. You know, how it says "you've had a great adventure today, you should rest before you play more". DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, GAME