• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon or Pokemon?

Which are you most used to spell: Pokémon or Pokemon?

• Pokémon

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • Pokemon

Votes: 32 57.1%

• Total voters

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
^That's true. Maybe it's just one of those "stylistic" things, then. ; )

Blazeing Man

proffesional artist
i type Pokemon because i do not have the ' over e key on my computer. But if i did i would say pok'emon.

ForgottenPearl

In Microsoft Word, I have it set up so that "Pokemon" auto-corrects to "Pokémon." However, when I'm on video game forums, I usually don't put the accent.

Sometimes I used the accente e - é, sometimes I don't, just depends whether I want to use it or not.
I have to use the alt code for é (which is number keypad 0233). 60% of time I don't use the accent.

Stardastarly

Sylveon~ :D
I always use the accented 'e' when typing Pokémon. It doesn't take long, and my keyboard has two different shortcuts I can use. I can either do alt, E, E and get é, or I can hold down E and then press the '2' key and it gives me é. Nice and easy~ In RL it's just habit to put the accent on top of the e. Convenient how I can also do and accented capital 'e': É

Rex Kamex

I always assumed that the accent was there to indicate that the "correct" pronunciation is supposed to be "poh-keh-mon" instead of "pok-ee-mon." I don't actually know if that's the reason, though.

I think it's because they didn't want there to be the spread of the two-syllable pronunciation "poke mon" since the familiar word "poke" is in "Pokemon." Putting in that mark would show that the "e" can't be silent.

*~Silver*~

I would put the accent, but I'm way to lazy to add it in, so on MS Word I use the accent, but online I usually just put Pokemon out of sheer laziness.

Razor Leafeon

The Shadow Remains Cast!
I normally type it without the accent, but I absolutely HATE it when people say it without it.
It's Pokémon, not PokEEEmon.

emogirl

Panda-chan.
Pokemon, because it's easier. Accents are a pain, and I only use them when doing formal foreign language papers/writings. I totally pronounce it with the accent though. And because I don't feel the need to be a damn hipster about everything because half the reason English-speakers use it is because they think it's cool

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
I think it's because they didn't want there to be the spread of the two-syllable pronunciation "poke mon" since the familiar word "poke" is in "Pokemon." Putting in that mark would show that the "e" can't be silent.

Oh, that makes much more sense. Good thinking.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Always just go with Pokemon because I have no idea how to use the other 'e' without C+P.

Aquarelle

Staff member
When I write it by hand, I use the accent.
When I type it, no accent.
I type it more often, so I voted Pokemon, no accent.