• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Origins Vol. III: The War of Armageddon [PG-13]

~RaikouRider243~

Lightning Swordsman
Chapter 24: Mirrored Paths

When Zapdos and Ashelia later regained consciousness, they still felt weak from having lost so much blood. The many wounds on their bodies were visible, but did not bleed. Moving around was still uncomfortable, but did not come with excruciating pain.

(Accompanying BGM: "Seeking Power" - Hitoshi Sakimoto - Final Fantasy XII)

"Can you tell us anything about Fuoco?" Alex asked the sorceress. "Anything at all would help!"

"Though he appears to prefer negotiations over battle," Ashelia started, "he is a cruel man. He only heeds Arceus to maintain his position of power, seeking to use it. He even treats Moltres with little respect, as if it were some ordinary creature. To maintain my bird's dignity and show respect toward it, I was the only one of us three who chose not to saddle and bridle my bird. Cory only did it out of Arceus' suggestion. Fuoco did it to draw rage out of his bird, channeling that rage into more powerful attacks."

"What a sad story," Maya said. "Treating Arceus' most sacred creations that way is disrespectful to the entire Order. Anger should not be used to draw power from any Pokémon, let alone Moltres!"

"Which is exactly why we need to stop him." Ashelia reached for the electric staff in front of her on the floor, grabbed it, then stood back up slowly. "Though all of us, including myself, took the scriptures and Arceus' orders out of context in our search for you, Fuoco twisted the words in such a way that he deluded the other Chosen. He wanted to confuse and eventually overthrow the Order. I doubt he will cooperate, but please try not to kill him. I many be able to change his way of thinking if I talk to him enough."

Alex reluctantly agreed to the plan. "Very well, but double-cross us again and we won't save you."

Zapdos finally stood up, walking rather than flying toward Ashelia. The electric-type stopped next to her. "Get on my back."

"But you're still injured!" the Chosen replied. "You can't fly with that many wounds!"

"And you'd rather just stand here, doing nothing? How do you expect to save your friend without me?"

(Accompanying BGM: "To the Place of the Gods" - Hitoshi Sakimoto - Final Fantasy XII)

The rider stopped for a few seconds, still as a statue. "I...trust you," she slowly replied. "Still, don't strain yourself too much. I can't stand to see you die." She climbed onto the bird, making sure not to sit on any of the wounds. When the three Chosen emerged from the grand hall, Ashelia was greeted with drawn weapons. "Hold your fire!" she screamed.

"Sheathe your weapons!" Alex reinforced. "She wants to fight for us now!"

Everyone but Aravan put their weapons away. The wary Suicune rider approached Ashelia and Zapdos. Seeing the look on their faces, as well as arrow-induced wounds all over both of them, he finally put the icy sword away. "You should know where Fuoco and Moltres are. Where?" he asked.

"Fuoco told me he would be in the House of Damnations--"

"So we need to cover the entire maze," Eron interrupted. "The path is the mirror image of the one we took to get here. I know the fastest route." Zapdos followed behind all the other Pokémon, Eron leading the way back. Going back the way they came, they encountered no Pokémon until reaching another Gate Altar, this one red. The moment he touched the altar to release the lock, three Mismagius materialized around it. One of them scorched Zoltin with a fireball as soon as the Chosen remounted. "Run!" he shouted.

(Accompanying BGM: "A Speechless Battle" - Hitoshi Sakimoto - Final Fantasy XII)

The more circles they ran through, the more Pokémon chased them. More Houndoom-riding Lucario chased after them, jabbing their spikes into the canine Pokémon to make them run faster. The airspace around the Chosen was filled with crimson fireballs, some of which singed their Pokémon. The longer they ran, the more enemy Pokémon followed.

"We still haven't lost them?!" Josh shouted as they were chased even through the teleportation altars. Beasts and Chosen cried in pain as fireballs continued hitting them hard, but they did not stop running. There was no time to consider anything--not even which way to run. Flee, flee, flee. Fires continued to burn closer, but that was not their focus. So long as it was away from the enemy, they did not care they path they took.

The Pokémon, growing larger in numbers, chased them even through the next teleportation stone. By this time, they were outnumbered three to one. A pair of Salamence blocked the way forward--they were trapped. Flames of varying color and intensity erupted from the mouths of the many fire-type Pokémon surrounding the Chosen and their mounts.

"Time is of the essence!" Suicune shouted. "Brace yourselves, Chosen!" At that, the swift, blue Pokémon ran toward the center of the room, forehead crystal glowing. When it stopped, it spun around rapidly, releasing chilling beams from both the crystal and its mouth. The energy circle they stood on became covered in a cyclone of ice. Friend and foe alike howled in pain, exposed to cold so intense that it made the top of Snowpoint Peak seem like Sunyshore's beaches by comparison. Zapdos fought the cold winds to the top of the tornado, avoiding the worst of it. On and on the twister swirled, suppressing even the flames inside the mouths of the Houndoom and Salamence. Aravan was in disbelief to see the power of this combination of moves.

When the ice storm finally stopped, literally everything except Aravan and Suicune were encased in ice--friend and foe alike. Shalin's mouth was wide open from screaming in pain. "Why, Suicune?" Aravan asked his Beast. "Why did you have to--"

"It was our only option," the water-type answered him. "But in case something like this happened, I had a contingency plan." The legend ran toward Ace. "I'm going to cut him out of the ice with my claws." Making careful incisions into the ice, Suicune cut through most of the ice surrounding his neck and head. That ice fell to the magick circle and shattered. Ace shivered, his head blue from the intense cold. Suicune carefully cut through the ice surrounding most of his upper body. "No problems so far," Aravan sighed, tense from watching his Beast cutting the Entei rider out. The process required a surgeon's precision. When Ace yelped, Aravan's heart nearly stopped--the Beast cut too deeply, tearing a slit in the red-armored Chosen's arm. Blood leaked out through the wound as Suicune kept etching through the ice.

By the time the sacred water-type had freed Ace from his icy prison, he could do nothing but shiver. He couldn't even reach for his sword. Aravan reached for Ace's blade, the weapon still glowing with Entei's flames. He waved it toward the ground near its owner, causing a wave of fire to burn between the two of them. "En...t-t-t-t-tei..." Ace said through chittering teeth, still hypothermic but able to speak.

"Suicune!" Aravan shouted. Without so much as being told what to do, the Beast rushed to Ace's aid. Its crystal glowed a different blue, shining a refreshing light on Ace's arm. Ace flinched when Cure Water started to take effect. Seconds later, the pain decreased in intensity, and blood stopped oozing out of the wound.

"Th-thanks, Suicune," Ace replied, though it was still somewhat painful to move his arm. Aravan handed him his sword back. Ace limped toward Entei, his legs still stiff from being frozen. He held the blade directly above the ice, thawing the Pokémon out. Together, they did the same to the six remaining Chosen and legendary Pokémon, each one shivering just as severely as Ace was. As soon as the ice around Shalin melted, she collapsed. Her Beast fell soon after. Hearing her comrade fall, Ashelia finally descended from above where the cyclone spun before.

(Silence BGM)

Eron approached the fallen rider, stopping briefly to see exactly how bad her condition was. There were patches of frostbitten skin all over both Shalin and Midori. Putting that out of his mind for a second, he laid two fingers over his friend's chilly wrist. "She has a pulse, at least." All the other Chosen breathed a sigh of relief. She's definitely breathing...probably just unconscious. Midori appears to be in the same condition. Aravan?"

"They'll be okay, right?" Suicune's rider asked Eron.

"It appears so. Would Cure Water wake her up faster?"

"I doubt it. Both of them are unconscious probably because their bodies can't keep warm enough to function correctly. Therefore, their bodies shut themselves down to conserve energy until they warmed up enough. I think Ace and Entei could do that job better." Beast and rider of fire stepped forward. "Each of you get on one side of them, and shoot lines of fire next to them. Not on them, next to them. This will cause the ice encasing our foes to start to melt. I will apply new layers of ice to them.

When Entei started spitting fireballs toward the ground near Shalin, and Ace waved his sword in a line to create a similar effect, everyone but Aravan and Suicune crowded around the flames, warming their bodies as well. "I hope this works," Aravan said to himself. After several minutes of flame lines, Entei and Ace had to rotate positions just to maintain their strength.

Finally, Shalin and Midori opened their eyes. "What...happened?" the female rider asked Ace.

"To defeat our pursuers, Suicune had to freeze everything," Ace answered. "We thawed you out and warmed you back up. How are you feeling?"

"I'm so stiff that I can barely move, but other than that, I'm just really cold," Shalin replied. "I can sense Midori is in much of the same condition I am--just look at her!" The Beast's eyes were open and her heart was beating. Aside from that, she looked nearly dead.

"We have to defeat Fuoco and Moltres still," Eron changed the subject abruptly. "The gate to the House of Damnations has closed since we had to stop. Aravan, you and Suicune need to make sure the Pokémon around here remain frozen. Ace, you and Entei likewise need to remain here to keep Shalin and Midori warm. Also, we need one more of us to stay back and make sure nothing goes wrong."

"I will fight Fuoco," Alex volunteered. Without saying anything, Latias and Zapdos flew toward Latios, all three carrying riders. The red building on the north end of the energy circle had the same dimensions as the House of Salvation. The three flew toward the building, weapons drawn. When Ashelia passed into the grand hall, a magick barrier appeared in front of the doorway, locking Alex and Maya out.

(Accompanying BGM: "An Imminent Threat" - Hitoshi Sakimoto - Final Fantasy XII)

The grand hall of the House of Damnations was, as indicated by its name, an inhospitable place. The walls and portions of the floor were decorated with large, open flames, making breathing difficult due to the high air temperature. Flying just above the floor, Zapdos began charging electricity in its wings. Ashelia also began incanting a lightning spell.

Seconds after the crackling started, the flames in the center of the hall started to rise. The flames took the shape of a bird...but these flames were different, she thought. "I can hear your Beast," Fuoco's voice echoed over the blaze. "Let's finish this like men." Ashelia let out a cry, then released the magick. Four lightning bolts circled Fuoco and Moltres, the circle getting gradually smaller until they all struck. The fire-type bird took most of the attack; Fuoco was only struck with one of the four bolts. "I sensed you had strayed from the path laid before you, but you also profane that path by rebelling against Arceus...Ashelia, all I can say is you got guts."

"Jade has evil intentions, Fuoco," the Chosen of Zapdos replied. "She has twisted the sacred scriptures away from the way Arceus intended. She intends to control the Order as Arceus does now. When I saw Zapdos on the brink of death and was powerless to do anything about it, I realized what being a Chosen really meant. It's not about you--it's about the sacred creature you bond with. If I had to give up my life to save Zapdos' life, I would do it. That would be the ultimate honor in being a Chosen."

"Think about it this way. When Jade overthrows Arceus and becomes number one, that would make us number two in the chain of command. Think of the authority our power would command!"

"That's not the point! Don't you understand? It's not about you--it's about keeping the most sacred creations sacred. Abusing divine power in such a way is the first thing Chosen are told not to do when awakened!"

"Think about the situation we were in. The Chosen of the Beasts, partially under the authority of Ho-oh, and partially under their own prerogative, did three things to defile the Order. First of all, they attempted, and almost succeeded in, exterminating Lugia, our leader. Secondly, they freed Akuji, Zoltin, and Midori, the source of great strife hundreds of years ago. Even Arceus said they were species that should never have existed. Furthermore, when they were freed, Ho-oh even appointed Chosen for them. Finally, all six of them found the shrines of Sinnoh where the powers that nearly destroyed mankind were hidden away. Every time Arceus has issued an order, Ho-oh or the Chosen of the Beasts have refused to follow that order."

"You dance around the truth, Fuoco. Yes, the Chosen of the Beasts technically broke the rules...but not without reason. They were in an impossible situation; they had to make a choice between the rules or innocent people. They risked their dignity and their lives to do their job--save innocent people in their time of need!" She paused for a couple of seconds. "This was all a set up! Jade used you to create a situation that would condemn the Beast Riders no matter what course of action they took. She just wants revenge for what they did three years ago! Don't you get it? They are the only ones in the Order that could stop her from rising to the top of the chain of command!"

Fuoco drew his weapon. "So, you refuse to stand down, do you? The fires of hell should bring you back to the negotiation table!"

(Accompanying BGM: "Boss Battle" - Hitoshi Sakimoto - Final Fantasy XII)

Zapdos released electricity in eight directions. "I'd like to see you try!" The bird took to the air, Ashelia incanting another lightning spell. Seconds after takeoff, most of the floor erupted into flames, further increasing the air temperature. Flight became more difficult, but Zapdos remained steady for the most part. The bird dropped lightning bolts from the sky, creating a line of electricity Fuoco could not cross. The line continued to advance as Ashelia finished her spell, adding circling bolts to the mix. At the moment the line electrocuted Fuoco, a pillar of flames shot toward Zapdos from below, sending the bird flying out a large, stained-glass window. The impact tossed Ashelia off her bird and into the inferno below. She couldn't even hear the Moltres rider's final scream of pain from the electric attack.

It was even hotter closer to the ground. The flames formed a maze, and Ashelia needed to find its exit before she suffocated. Knowing there wasn't much time, she ran through the open areas, noting each turn she made as to not go in a circle. Reaching the west wall, she knew she was close--until she reached a dead end after turning east. She turned west, heading down the other side of the intersection. The path took her away from the wall but to the south. The winding passage seemed like it went on for all eternity, sucking oxygen out of the air. Running all the way across the chamber, she could make out a faint, yellow light along the east wall. It had to be the exit, she thought. It just had to be. Following the wall, she smiled when she saw it was indeed the exit. Seconds after leaving the blazing hall, she collapsed on the energy circle, breathing heavily.

(Silence BGM)

Wow. Zapdos VS Moltres. I hope Ashelia doesn't die. But that seems a possibility because the gate is still locked. Or at least I think it is.

I hope me and Maya manage to finish him off in the next chapter. We also have a bit of revenge to carry out.

Great battle as well. The Fire Maze also added to the suspence.

Wow. Zapdos VS Moltres. I hope Ashelia doesn't die. But that seems a possibility because the gate is still locked. Or at least I think it is.

I hope me and Maya manage to finish him off in the next chapter. We also have a bit of revenge to carry out.

Great battle as well. The Fire Maze also added to the suspence.

~RaikouRider243~

Lightning Swordsman
Chapter 25: Ancient Grudge

Suicune's healing touch did the trick again. After quite a wait, Ashelia opened her eyes, the first thing she saw being Zapdos. "Thank you...Suicune..." she slowly said.

"I'm just glad you're alright," the Beast replied.

"What would we do without you, Aravan?" Josh complimented the Suicune rider. "I really hope this is the last time we need to make use of our power. I don't want to see any more needless destruction at the hands of the so-called legendary Pokémon."

Latias hovered gloser to the ground. "Having seen said destruction firsthand," Maya added, "I second this cause. Let's end this, once and for all." Josh, Aravan, and Ace rose their blades skyward, touching them together. "Great One, Ho-oh...pray for us. Pray that our final mission be successful. Great Dragon, Rayquaza...pray for us. Anyone who knows the gravity of the situation Arceus' Chosen are in...pray for us. The fate of the entire world rests upon it."

"It's now or never!" Josh added. The Chosen mounted their Pokémon and retraced their steps to the Way Stone to the south. Corpses of Pokémon slain at the hands of the riders littered the large magick circles holding them up. "Eron, how do we get to the Tower of Beginnings from here?"

"There is one path we have not trod yet," he answered. "Follow me." The only direction Eron hadn't led them was to the southwest. Four circles that way led to a Way Stone labeled XX. Behind it was the corpse of a Salamence--its wings punctured.

(Accompanying BGM: "Clash of Swords" - Hitoshi Sakimoto - Final Fantasy XII)

"How could this happen? We were never here!" Alex shouted.

Ace examined the dead dragon's body. "It looks like a bleeding hunk of Swiss cheese!"

"You're right about that; there are certainly a large number of wounds," Josh added, then paused for a bit. "Upon closer examination, they don't look like wounds caused with a sword. Even the strongest arrowheads in the world couldn't go straight through a Salamence--its skin is too tough for that. It couldn't have been caused by any projectile weapon."

"But what could have caused wounds like these?"

"Only way we're finding out is pressing on." Still mounted atop their Pokémon, the Chosen crowded around the Way Stone. They emerged near another teleportation stone, as expected. A rainbow-colored tower, the crown of it yellow, stood a short distance from them.

"The Tower of Beginnings is ahead," Eron announced to the group. "No one knows what it looks like inside, or what awaits. I've never been in there, and I've only seen it once. Exercise great caution--we are stepping into the unknown!" At the top of another ramp was a blue, shimmering gate. He touched it once, and it turned red. A second time he touched it, changing its color to yellow. He touched it a third time, causing it to disappear completely.

The narrow tower stood on, by far, the largest magick circle they had seen thus far. It stood seventeen floors tall, one for each color it glowed. The double doors to the tower bore a timeworn inscription, which Eron read:

"You have proven your wisdom; now, your power. Within the seventeen floors of the Tower of Beginnings await seventeen trials. Only after then shall the gods speak with you, at the peak of this sacred structure." After pushing the doors open, a lone Persian lunged toward the entrance. Raikou intentionally threw Josh off before the feline pounced, causing the Beast to lose its balance and fall backwards. Before it could slash its claws though, Raikou channeled electricity through its body, frying the Persian. The Beast rolled over to get back on its feet, then rammed the Pokémon into the wall. After the short battle, the Way Stone in the center of the chamber activated, this one with a green hue instead of the usual orange-yellow.

The Chosen took the teleportation device up to the next floor, which was green in color. A lone Sceptile prowled the floor, throwing Leaf Blade boomerangs their direction. Suicune yelped in pain as two of the sharper leaves cut through its back, one almost nicking Aravan's leg. The Beast was prompt to shine its forehead crystal, stimulating healing of the wound. Entei stepped in front of the other Pokémon, then breathed fire all over the north half of the room, creating a slowly-advancing flame line the grass-type could not cross. It collapsed from the heat even before the flames started to incinerate its body. Just as before, the Way Stone in the center of the room activated, this time glowing red.

"I'm noticing a pattern here," Josh started. "Aravan, be ready." Teleporting to the next level up, an Arcanine ran along the edge of the room, its mouth in flames after seeing the red mist from the Stone. A large Flamethrower attack sped toward Aravan, but Suicune shot a beamlike buast of water directly at the stream of fire, scattering the flames and sending a large volume of water down the Fire-type's throat. The water-type sprayed Arcanine's body with a second high-pressure blast. When the canine discovered it could not breathe fire, it collapsed into one of the corners of the chamber. The next Way Stone glowed blue.

It wasn't much of a trial for so many Chosen; all it seemed to test was their reaction time. So long as they had an attack to correspond with each Pokémon type, climbing the tower would be a snap. The Golduck on the fourth level fell to a sphere of electricity from Raikou. A pair of Swellow on the fifth level fell the same way. On the sixth level, several quick lashes from Midori's vines sent a Marowak packing. A Nidoking on the seventh level was no problem for Alex and Maya; Latias levitated the poison-type with a psychic aura, which was the cue for Latios to unleash a Luster Purge attack at point-blank range. For a few seconds, everyone in the room was blinded from the light of the attack. Without vision, Entei easily outmuscled the Nidoking, sending it crashing into a wall. A Nidoqueen on the eighth level fell in a similar fashion.

Teleporting up to the ninth level, the chamber looked empty, and the Way Stone was even active. "This floor's vacant! Next!" Ace excitedly shouted. Just as he was about to touch the Stone, though, the charge disappeared. A Gardevoir materialized behind the group, utilizing telekinesis to lift Ace off his Beast. By the time Latias was able to interrupt the psychic-type with telekinesis of her own, Ace had already flown into the wall, conscious but injured. Rage commanding the fire Pokémon's actions, Entei sprayed fire parallel to an electric shot Raikou fired toward Gardevoir. It curved the electricity toward the ceiling, rendering it harmless. The fire, however, incinerated yet another enemy Pokémon. "Ace, are you alright?!" Aravan asked. Suicune immediately started shining healing light over his entire body, making sure not to miss anything.

"Just a bit shook up is all," he replied with confidence. After basking in the healing aura for nearly three minutes, he stood back up. "I can't hold you guys back, can I? Let's keep going!"

The Way Stone leading to the tenth level had a sky-blue aura about it. "We've already seen the water-types," Shalin recalled. "I think there have to be ice Pokémon on the next level up." She was right; when the group materialized on the next floor, the first thing that caught their eyes was a trio of Glalie. Not taking any chances this time, Entei roasted their chilly bodies with fireballs. The eleventh level featured a lone Machamp at the north end of the chamber, which fell quickly to a plethora of ranged attacks, the last of which was a Mist Ball from Latias.

The three Beedrill on the twelfth level fell to, again, Entei's fireballs. The Tyranitar on level thirteen was so slow that it couldn't even get halfway across the chamber by the time Suicune flooded its rocky armor with water. "They're dropping like dominoes!" Aravan celebrated. Ghost-types populated level fourteen, all of which faded out of existence from beams of blinding light from Zoltin.

Raikou shocked a Skarmory out of the air on the fifteenth level, its metallic wings crackling with electricity even after it had fallen to the ground. Zoltin illuminated the dark chamber that was the sixteenth floor, revealing an active Way Stone--it glowed a maroon color. Happy to move up without a fight, Eron touched the stone going up. After appearing on the seventeenth floor, he couldn't believe his eyes. "Again?!" he shouted.

(Silence BGM)

Another Pokémon corpse, this one of a Dragonite. "Same wound pattern as before," Aravan noted. "Same thing probably did it. But what...or who...could have done this?"

"I can only hazard a guess," Shalin answered, "but I would say another Chosen did this. We are the only ones that would still use a bladed weapon."

"But from the shape of the wound, it can't be from a sword. Josh already pointed this out. Eron, any idea what could have caused this?"

"During the war days," Eron started, "I only saw a few Chosen. All of them either used swords, bows, or staves."

"You know what, Eron, the only way we're going to find out is by going up. There is a way up from the south exit," Josh pointed out. Saying no more, the rest of the group followed him up the winding stairs on the outside of the tower, leading to the rooftop. Upon arrival, they couldn't believe their eyes.

"Ashelia, I thought I told you to exterminate them!" Jade's voice snapped from above.

"Lugia..." Ace slowly said, in disbelief at seeing the leviathan a second time.

"Our ways were wrong," Ashelia answered Jade. "Even the most perfect rules aren't perfect. Also, you have to understand that the Beast Riders were doing nothing but following instructions. Though they technically violated the teachings, they did not do so without reason!"

"Have they warped your mind so much already?" Jade asked Ashelia, her birdlike, dragonlike mount descending to the top of the tower. "First, they desecrated Lugia, then they released the three forbidden Pokémon we worked so hard to seal ages ago...now, they unseal forbidden magick to fight us with?" She pulled out the gigantic lance Lugia carried with her; it was nearly the length of Zapdos' wingspan. She pointed it at Aravan for emphasis. "For defiling Arceus' most sacred creations and starting this war, they deserve no less than death!"

"Your arguments are so one-sided, it isn't funny. I have weighed both sides of the issue, and see the truth--you're so vexed on power that you manipulate the truth so that your mistakes fall on the shoulders of other Chosen! These Beast Riders exposed my friends to this truth as well. Hearing these words after seeing Articuno gravely injured, Cory took his own life rather than listening to reason. Fuoco and I fought as well. Since I am still here, you should know what happened to him. He chose to die for false faith instead of listening to logic."

Lugia roared in anger. "I had the perfect plan to overthrow the Order of its dormant god and actually make some changes," Jade began ranting, "and I was going to make you, Cory, and Fuoco next up the chain of command. Being the leading commander of the Order, nothing could stop me from putting the reins of History back in the hands of a capable leader. There are restrictions on how we, as Chosen, can make use of the sacred Pokémon. These restrictions make it annoying to do our jobs. As a leader, I would modernize the rules governing what Chosen can do."

"The system Arceus put into place is still effective," Ashelia argued. "So why fix it? Name three rules that you would change to make his system better." Jade remained silent. "You can't even think of one, can you? Enough of this charade. Your real reason is just a lust for power, isn't it? To think you would hide your intentions from Arceus, scheming behind his back while he slept, letting the world take its course!"

Jade growled, gritted her teeth, then drew her weapon: a blue lance far longer than any other Eron had seen in his life. It had to be at least ten feet long. The bladed tip of the spear was a coral-red color, superheated to pierce hard substances more easily. "My other intention was to avenge Lugia. Three years ago, after a madman unworthy of the title 'Chosen' tried to control the sea dragon, the Beast Riders, numbered only three at the time, sent Lugia back to the bottom of the sea, greatly injured from a battle fed by nothing but rage. After Arceus made me Chosen, I looked into the story behind the clash, and all roads led to Ho-oh. This is the very reason why I sent you and your two friends on a manhunt for the Chosen of the Beasts."

"You would take the lives of Chosen doing their jobs just so you could recover Lugia's dignity? How could you do such a thing?!"

"Ho-oh. Arceus always favored Ho-oh over Lugia for no reason. Over the last three years, Ho-oh has made some decisions that have endangered the hierarchy of the Order, and thus, must be exterminated. Any of Ho-oh's followers, particularly Chosen, must either repent and convert, or be as condemned as the phoenix itself."

"Bending the rules to your own gain," Josh reinforced Ashelia's point. "You sound like no just ruler to want to be at the top of the Order. You sound more like you want to establish a dictatorship among Arceus' most holy creations, and have that trickle down to the rest of the world. Every dictatorship in the world has been overthrown at some point, but not without massive amounts of bloodshed. I can say with confidence that I speak for all nine of us when I say this. A dictatorship at the top of the Order would do nothing but put the world in more peril than it already is in. Just listen to reason and let Arceus keep his position uncontested, and we can end this meaningless war."

"It only took three of us to beat you last time," Eron added. "If you try to battle against all nine of us, you will quickly see the appeal of the treaty table." The nine Chosen drew their weapons, ready for possible combat.

The moment Lugia took off, a low voice from above boomed, "Jade, that is enough!" A white, four-legged creature about two-thirds of Lugia's size descended from high above the tower, a yellow energy ring on it, perpendicular to the middle of its back. The ring was in the same shape and color of the ones the Chosen walked on to get to the tower. All the Chosen but Jade bowed down out of respect.

~RaikouRider243~

Lightning Swordsman
This took FOREVER. >_<

---

Chapter 26: The Fate of a Chosen

The moment Arceus laid foot on the large, yellow energy ring, Lugia and Jade suddenly stopped attacking. The Beast Riders sheathed their weapons as well. "What is the meaning of this?" he asked all the legendary Pokémon present.

"I am merely following your orders, Arceus," Jade replied. "You said there were infidels among our own kind, and you gave specific orders to eliminate them--whatever it takes. I passed that information on to my subordinates. You should know that they are--or were--Fuoco, Ashelia, and Cory--the Chosen of the Birds of Kanto. I told them to take any measures to find the Chosen in violation of your precepts, and bring them to you--dead or alive. They are here now. I have fulfilled your orders."

"But you and your subordinates also attacked large cities, trying to kill the Chosen in question without reason to believe they were there. Explain to me your logic for taking so much life in your hunt."

"In our hunt for the Chosen, we needed information as to their whereabouts. That is why I instructed Ashelia, Fuoco, and Cory to attack specific cities across the world. We did so as a warning to other towns that might resist us. We would eventually find them--it would just be a matter of how many lives it took."

"You forgot what is at the core of your beliefs as a Chosen. Rather than protecting the world in your search for the infidels, you were destroying the very world you were trying to protect. Even had you found them, at the rate you were tearing civilization apart, what would there have been left afterward? Do you not remember the war that set mankind back seven hundred years? That was with an army of ordinary Pokémon. A war among the Chosen would wipe out all life on the planet, save the Chosen and their Pokémon. With no world to defend, their lives become meaningless."

"Stop spouting your ancient philosophy obsolete in this day and age, god who abandoned his people! Mankind has since developed better technology to defend against such an attack with."

"No technological advancement could save mankind from the power of the strongest creatures in the world. Did you not see what destruction Moltres and Fuoco caused?

"It was their own fault--they had the technology but chose to rely on the Chosen instead--the very Chosen you speak of. And many of them paid for it with their lives."

"All having to do with an attack that should never have happened."

"Under the same logic, the Great War should never have happened, either. And all you did was sit back and watch the war happen. You didn't do anything about it--imagine what could have come from mankind not being set back centuries from the war!"

"I am not one to meddle in the affairs of humanity." Arceus paused for a moment before resuming lecturing Jade. His energy ring began turning color to a dark shade of grey. "Enough of your charades, revolutionary. I sat back, watching the world only because intervention of the divine was not necessary. I work through my most trusted Chosen, such as you. And even you have betrayed me."

"It is more like you have betrayed not only the Chosen you picked, but the planet as well! By not intervening and ending the war, you have inadvertently murdered thousands of innocent people!"

Arceus' energy wheel turned a pitch black color. "How dare you say something like that to me!" he roared. "You have defied my will for the last time!" The white creature surrounded Jade and Lugia with a gigantic, translucent black sphere that gradually shrunk in size. Sparks flew out of it as soon as it touched Lugia's wing, causing the leviathan to roar in pain. When it shrunk enough to touch the psychic-type's main body, the sphere imploded. When the smoke from it cleared, the remaining Chosen gasped in horror as the two were nowhere to be found. "I wanted an explanation from the Beast Riders as well," Arceus countinued as its wheel turned back to its standard gold color.

Josh stepped forward to represent the group. "About what? We have done the world no harm! We saved Johto from Lugia when it raged out of control, and we made Akuji an ally instead of an enemy!"

"But you, under the orders of Ho-oh, unsealed three forbidden powers. First, the weapons you carry are capable of mass destruction--as it told you, they embody the powers of your Beasts, and when used to their potential, are as strong as the Beasts themselves. Second, you unsealed Midori, Akuji, and Zoltin. You understand that during the war, Lugia and Ho-oh expended all their strength sealing them away? They caused too much devastaion when they were allowed in the world. Third and most importantly, you unsealed the true power of the Beasts--those that disrupted the balance in the Order."

"If we did this under the orders of Ho-oh, then why are we at fault? And what harm did unsealing the shrines of Sinnoh do? Without the abilities hidden away there, we would have been eliminated at the hands of the legendary birds controlled by Lugia! We have caused no destruction in our wake, unlike them!"

"I understand that. That is why I am going to give you six a chance to live. Side with me and I will spare you. You will even retain your title of Chosen and the freedoms associated with it. But Ho-oh must die. Renounce your oath to Ho-oh and side with me."

"Never!" Aravan screamed. "You never did anything for us in our times of need. "Ho-oh saved my life many times in the past. It's time I repaid the Great One for what it has done for not just me, but also my friends!"

"Why should I?" Ace added. "You are a leader that sat back and let the world fall into war and ruin. Civilization was on the brink of being wiped out, and you stood there, just watching! Why didn't you do something about it?!"

"Haven't you heard of 'forgive and forget?'" Lila argued. "After all this time, I finally found a group of friends who forgave me for a war my Beast let get out of control. To betray them now would be a crime more heinous than murder. Arceus, I refuse to stand by you!"

"The friends I stand by freed me from the temporal prison you, Lugia, and Ho-oh trapped me in seven hundred years past," Eron reminded Arceus. "It is time I repaid them for the favor they did me."

"The city of Ecruteak must be given a chance to redeem itself!" Shalin shouted. "It is a reminder of the mistakes Chosen made centuries ago. We have not, and will not, make those same mistakes again! Humanity must be given a chance!"

Josh sighed, then spoke for himself. "Thanks, guys." He turned to the towering four-legged creature on the north side of the energy circle. "And Arceus, I have the courage of my friends to fall back on. I would rather die than betray them now."

"I saw first-hand the destruction Fuoco and Moltres caused," Alex interrupted. "Anyone who calls for the mass destruction of innocent people, despite the circumstances...that is a sin unforgivable, just like you said in the teachings!"

"I agree whole-heartedly with Alex," Maya concurred.

(Accompanying BGM: "The Battle for Freedom" - Hitoshi Sakimoto - Final Fantasy XII)

"So you will still not accept the wages of sin?" Arceus' voice turned from authoritative to threatening. "May you all burn in hell!!" At that, its energy ring glowed with an intense, yellow light.

Latias and Latios quickly descended next to each other, holding their hands together to share their power. Two nearly-transparent spheres, one blue and one green, surrounded each allied Pokémon and rider. "This should help hold his attacks off!"

Without hesitating, Raikou launched a powerful lightning bolt toward Arceus. About a second after firing the attack, Arceus' energy wheel changed color to a bright yellow. The electric attack went right through the white Pokémon--he didn't even flinch. "What?!" Josh shouted. The wheel crackled with electricity, several seconds later releasing a dense net of it, the current flying through the air in the shape of a complex spider's web. Aravan and Suicune dove into a corner to evade the most intense part of the attack, but everyone else, Josh included, suffered electrical burns on their bodies. The ones Eron and Zoltin received were particularly serious, bleeding profusely. "Apparently he throws lightning back at us!"

"Let me try!" Ace volunteered. Entei began spitting fireballs toward Arceus. A second later, Arceus' energy wheel changed color, this time to a deep red. He let every single one of the fireballs hit him, not flinching once. "He's taking all our attacks like they are nothing..." Josh moaned. "How can we possibly beat an opponent that isn't affected by these kinds of attacks?!"

"You cannot defeat me," Arceus jeered. "If you lay down your arms, I will give you the privilege of a quick, painless death."

"We're not giving up!" Ace shouted.

"There's got to be a way," Shalin added. "But what is it?"

Aravan noticed Arceus' energy wheel changed to become a blazing red color; the color of a consuming inferno. "Try again, Josh!" Upon Aravan's request, Raikou shot a bolt of lightning toward Arceus. Two seconds after seeing the Beast charge its attack up, the energy wheel changed color to a bright yellow again. Arceus didn't even flinch.

"That's it!" Eron exclaimed. "There is a slight delay in his ability to change his elemental affinity. His current affinity is the color of his wheel. If we attack him with multiple elements, he won't be able to nullify all of them!" At that, Entei and Suicune both began charging up attacks. The fire-type shot another fireball, prompting Arceus to change its affinity to the Fire type. Before he had time to react, a burst of water from behind splashed all over him, causing him to make a yelp--a sign the tactic was working.

Arceus ran to the center of the circle, his body surrounded with a fiery sphere. "Run!" Eron shouted. "Get away from him!" The sphere grew larger in size as the group started fleeing to the edges of the circle. With a roar from the white quadruped, the sphere exploded, engulfing all but the corners of the circle in fire. Shalin screamed in pain indescribable as the blaze ate away at her skin. Suicune was quick to douse the team in Cure Water, which was enough to put the fires out. Shalin, however, was still unconscious.

Maya raised her staff skyward and began incanting a spell of healing. A faint red light shone on Shalin, coaxing life back into her. She quickly remounted her Pokémon, and they began circling the room, rapidly accelerating to avoid any more attacks that could be headed her way. Alex shot a flurry of arrows toward Arceus, each one surrounded by bubbles of water. The Pokémon's energy wheel changed color again, this time to a deep blue. The arrows merely bounced off. Before he had a chance to react, Midori had accelerated to top speed and swerved toward her foe. Shalin held on for her life as Midori whipped her body into Arceus with more force than she'd ever whipped with before, knocking him almost all the way across the circle. She didn't shriek, but everyone present could tell the whiplike strike was painful even for her.

"It's working!" Ace shouted. "Keep it up--we'll get him eventually!"

"Your strength is in numbers," the divine beast's voice boomed once more. "All I need do is eliminate the weakest link, one by one. Mortal sinners as Chosen are unworthy of life. One by one, you will fall!" A column of blue light surrounded Arceus. Raikou tried to interrupt the glow with a lightning bolt aimed at its source. The white legend flinched from being shocked, but it was too late. Boulder-sized raindrops fell from the sky, threatening to crush the Chosen under massive amounts of water pressure. No one was directly hit, but the force of the displaced water swept Entei off its feet, sending Ace into the drink. Though the energy circle was open, it took some time for the water to drain away. Steam erupted from Ace's right hand as his flaming sword evaporated some of the water around him.

"Do you not see what you are doing?" Arceus asked the Chosen after evading another of Raikou's lightning bolts. "Look beneath you!" Underneath where the lightning struck was a black smoke rising beneath the energy circle but never actually piercing it. "Below us is a projection of the world--but not an ordinary one. Whatever befalls any part of this circle also befalls that part of the world. Even if you were to defeat me, you would not have a world to go back to!"

Eron gasped. "What can we do? Every attack we unleash destroys part of the very world we're trying to save!"

"You coward!" Josh shouted. "You know you cannot win against all of us, so instead you would have us make an impossible choice: freedom, or the world as we know it. Though it pains me to see the deaths of countless innocent people, that is a small price to pay for releasing the world from the state of stasis that it is in!"

"Even so," Arceus continued, "what good is a world without someone to watch over it? With no one to supervise the actions of humans, the world will fall into total chaos, mankind comsuming itself for its own lust for power. It happened once before, and it will happen again. History repeats. You said it yourself, Josh."

"With leaders that actually change the world for the better, Man will learn from the mistakes he made!"

Latios tried to bind Arceus' motions with a psychic wave, but his energy wheel changed to a black color before the eon Pokémon could get a grip on him, rendering the attack useless. Seeing the change, Zoltin fried the Pokémon with a beam of light fired from its beak. Stunned from the assault, Entei added to it with a spray of fire, as did Alex with light arrows of his own.

"Enough fooling around!" Arceus shouted. "Die, mortals!" Arceus' energy wheel glowed with a blinding, white light. Even after changing affinity, its wheel still gleamed with a brilliant light. That didn't stop Lila and Akuji from charging straight into him. Nearly blowing Lila off from sprinting from a standstill, the dark-type rammed into Arceus, the rider adding slashes from her twin katana. He acted as though the attack never happened. With a loud roar intense light beame rained down from the sky, striking the black creature and rider directly. Maya incanted a lifespark spell, but another beam of light interrupted that, sending her flying as well.

The energy wheel glowed a lavendar color after the attack as the divine creature hovered in the air. Alex took the opporunity to fire a volley of electrically charged arrows toward Arceus, but he quickly switched affinity to the Ground-type, as indicated by the tan shade of the energy wheel.

Arceus sounded a loud roar. A matrix of fault lines erupted on top of the circle, throwing everyone except Maya, Ashelia, and Alex off their Pokémon. The ground shook violently, causing even the Beasts to lose their balance. One such jolt sent Josh flying into the air, losing his grip on the Lightning Sword. He landed in one of the gaps from the quake, sharp rocks piercing through his lightningproof armor and cutting large wounds in his skin. Ace picked up the dropped weapon and charged toward the place where the Chosen of Raikou had fallen. Finding Josh couldn't reach all the way out of the pit, Ace was about to extend his arm into the gap, when all of the fault lines slammed shut again. Josh was crushed between two sharp levels of earth, dead. The flames on the edge of Ace's blade rushed upward, burning many times hotter and larger than before.

"Murderer!!" the Entei rider shouted at the top of his lungs. "Murderer!!" Adrenaline rushing through both himself and his Beast, he jumped back onto the fire-type, wielding his own blade in his right hand, and the Lightning Sword in his left. "You killed my best friend!"

"Your best friend was a heretic," Arceus replied. "An outcast who defiles the sacred Beasts. Such a person is not worthy of life. As the best friend of such an individual, you have also committed heinous acts. You defile the very Beast you are a rider of. I shall do you a favor and reunite you with your best friend...in hell!"

Entei was now completely engulfed in fire. No one see either of them. All Ace could see was the rage-powered fire surrounding his Beast. He couldn't even see the Beast itself; he could only feel it. "Charge!!" he shouted. Arceus' energy wheel changed to a blue color. Still, they charged. He fired aquatic beams toward the flame-engulfed Beast, but the water evaporated before it could hit them. Even larger bursts of water evaporated. "This one's for Josh!!" Entei leaped into the air, tackling Arceus. The force of the charge, in addition to the heat of the flames, sent the leader of the Order tumbling to the ground, third-degree burns consuming almost all of his body in places. Ace leaped off Entei and plunged both swords into the white creature's face.

"So... it is the will of the gods that the Order has a new leader," Arceus sighed in pain. With his dying breath, the energy wheel turned a deep purple, and a vicious meteor storm ravaged the circle. Each one created a tremor, testing the riders' balance. Shrapnel from one of the meteors cut through Latias, Latios, and their riders, all of them bleeding heavily from the deep cuts the sharp pieces of rock made. When the storm ended, Suicune was quick to envelop Akuji, Latias, Latios, and their riders in a blue, healing light.

(Silence BGM)

"It's over..." Eron sighed, his breath laborious from battle. "The war is finally over."

"I'm not sure about it being over yet," Shalin sighed, looking at the projection of the world beneath them. A cloud of dense smoke covered the northwest end of it.

---

I’m here to review chapters 23 to 25 this time, RR.

Though I went over chapter 23 twice – once yesterday afternoon and once this morning – I could only find one mistake and it follows as thus…

Latios circled Zapdos rapidly, a trail of cyan light expanding behind with every pass.

I believe the sentence makes more sense if phrased like this: Latios circled Zapdos rapidly, a trail of cyan light expanding behind it with every pass.

Notice the bolded word?

In chapter 24, there are only two mistakes that I could find.

I many be able to change his way of thinking if I talk to him enough.

I think you meant for it to mean ‘may’, didn’t you?

but these flames were different

Thoughts need to be italicized.

Chapter 25’s mistakes are below…

“and I was going to make you, Cory, and Fuoco next up the chain of command.

“next up in the chain of command” sounds better to me.

Latias hovered gloser to the ground.

I think you mean ‘closer’, don’t you?

All in all, they were interesting chapters to read, even though I’d read them before but not yet had a chance to review. Now knowing that a battle with Arceus threatens makes things all the more intriguing, because who knows who will win? Anyway, I look forward to r&r-ing the last two chapters… and keep up the good work, RR.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Dude, this pwnzorred! This is a unique work ,of art indeed! However, a few glaring problems caught my eyes, especially in volumes one and two:

1. Scanty background description: While the beasts were described beautifully, the riders seemed kinda stereotypical in appearance. Other than their personalities and heights, nothing more was said about them. the pix help but it help the overimaginative reader more to describe all you can about them clearly in the text.

2. ?/! errors: A lot of exclamation marks cropped up where there should have been question marks. if you want to lay more emphasis when someone asks a question, an exclamation mark after/before the question mark works fine.

3. Your battles were a little rushed and description there was stereotypical. even if the beasts are moving at warp speed, slow the film down and let's not just see every drop of sweat, every maneuver and injury, but feel them too...

Other than that, i'd wager this going tops on my ratings board. Kudos to the near completion of three whole volumes... that takes a lot of stuff... and time!

L@er!

Hey, RR. This being my second last review of this ficcie, I’ll be happy – in a way – when it’s over, because it’ll give me some time to double back and read and review the first two ficcies in your trilogy.

"I wanted an explanation from the Beast Riders as well," Arceus countinued as its wheel turned back to its standard gold color.

countinued

Just a simple spelling mistake here, I’m sure that you meant for it to be ‘continued’.

devastaion

Another mistake, one of which is missing a ‘t’.

of need. "Ho-oh

Since the Ho-oh bit is part of the same sentence, it doesn’t need a ‘sixty-six’.

Josh sighed, then spoke for himself

After the comma and before the ‘then’, there should be the word ‘and’.

comsuming

‘Consuming’ sounds better to me.

‘beam’.

Another simple spelling mistake; ‘lavender’ is the correct spelling of the word.

opporunity

After the ‘r’, there should be a ‘t’.

Quite a climatic ending for the chapter – to see Josh be killed and Ace go all, quote your own words, "Super Saiyan". What will happen to Raikou now that his human partner is dead?

"It's over..." Eron sighed, his breath laborious from battle. "The war is finally over."

"I'm not sure about it being over yet," Shalin sighed, looking at the projection of the world beneath them. A cloud of dense smoke covered the northwest end of it.

This scene intrigues me, as I have to wonder what the cloud of dense smoke means. Also, how will Josh’s parents react to the news that their son is dead? And who will be the new leader of the Order?

Josh, is dead? I was sure that, if anyone was going to die, it would be either Maya or Eron. Not Josh! Plot Twist much!

But anyway, the battle was extremely good, but Josh's death seemed a bit rushed, which I can understand. You really don't want to spend too much time killing off your main character, especially one based on yourself!

But I'm hoping for a full explanation of the aftermarth in the next chapter. Who is Raikou's new rider? What do Ho-Oh and Rayquaza have to say about this? Was the Cresscelia rider actually integral to the plot? Will the dead legendary Pokemon (Articuno, Moltres, Darkrai) come back? Is Lugia dead or uncreated(Wiped from history)?

You don't have to go through all of this, I'm just posting random questions related to the story.

~RaikouRider243~

Lightning Swordsman
Epilogue: Coping with Reality

After the battle, the yellow energy circle started losing its color, glowing white--so bright that it blinded all the Chosen and Pokémon that lived through the battle, to the point where they couldn't see each other. When the light began to fade, they found themselves on the peak of Mount Coronet, each Pokémon and Chosen sprawled out on the ground. Every Chosen, of course, except Josh.

When the wearied victors of combat came to, the first thing they saw was Ho-oh flying overhead, with Rade onboard. After looking around, they noticed nearly every Chosen and legend on the peak of Mount Coronet, congratulating them.

"The loss you have suffered is unbearable," Ho-oh said, tears filling its eyes. "During your battle with Arceus, massive explosions rocked parts of the world, obliterating everything within the blast radius. Their locations for the most part were haphazard, but one group centered around northwest Johto."

Despite his exhaustion, Eron jumped onto his Beast and readied himself for flight to the west. "There might still be some people there! We need to get there before it's too late!"

Rayquaza snaked through the air above the peak, coming to a stop floating next to the Beast Riders. "We can get you there a lot faster," Syria offered, "especially now that the barrier is down." Ace, Aravan, Shalin, Lila, and Ashelia all carefully flipped their legs over the serpent's body so that they could grip it.

Maya and Alex commanded their Pokémon to enter Extreme Speed as soon as possible, red and blue ripples filling the sky as they rocketed westward. A green ripple began forming shortly afterward as Rayquaza followed into Extreme Speed several seconds later. Syria and the guest riders all screamed instinctively as the legendary dragon overtook even Latios and Latias within seconds.

Minutes later, the group had reached Johto once more, the Whirl Islands visible on the south side of the horizon. "Something's not right here," Aravan sighed as the mountain range to the north came closer and closer. After flying past Goldenrod City's skyscrapers, none of them could believe what they saw. The National Park was barren and completely abandoned; debris from the remains of benches was scattered all over. All but the southwest sections of the wall surrounding the largest recreational zone in Johto had been obliterated, pieces of its brick structure littering the land devoid of life.

Ace gasped when he saw that past the park, every square foot of land from Mount Mortar to the northwest farmlands to just outside Olivine's borders was no more than a wasteland; the forest on the north end of the rural road leading out of the farm had been completely destroyed.

The Beast Riders that lived there were so overcome with shock that they could say nothing. Every building in the city had become a pile of rubble. The lack of vegetation, the rubble, and the open space made the air unhealthy to breathe for the time being. The Gym, university, and even the Tin Tower and twin altars had been totally destroyed. Ho-oh shed a tear; the legendary bird and the six Beasts had no home to return to. Raikou had it doubly hard; first he had lost his rider, then he lost his homeland.

"We saved the world again," Aravan sighed, "but at a price perhaps worse than death: the loss of not only a dear friend, but our homeland." After a few seconds of silence, he burst into tears. That was all it took for Ace to start crying alongside him. At Syria's command, Rayquaza flew away from Ecruteak in an attempt to get Ace to stop sobbing. Aravan quit after a few minutes, but even after Latios and Latias had caught up to the green dragon's slower pace, Ace was still crying.

"What now?" Eron asked. "We have no home to return to--where are we going to stay? Where are we going to live?"

"Jubilife in Sinnoh!" Shalin excitedly suggested.

"Is it only because of the proximity to a Dancing Star machine?" Aravan refuted.

"Regardless," Lila interrupted, "that isn't a bad idea. You see, though I grew up in Ecruteak, I was originally from Sinnoh. I moved from Jubilife to Ecruteak at a young age, yet I am still familiar with much of Jubilife, as well as Sinnoh in general. Though the center of the city is busy, the suburbs are usually quiet." The dragons spiraled toward the former farmland, landing there. The Chosen dismounted, the barren ground feeling like concrete.

"One thing we definitely need to do," Aravan started, "is visit all the cities destroyed when we fought in the heavens. It'll bring a ray of hope to the people whose lives had been changed forever."

"We need to spread the news to all areas of the world," Alex said. "People will be happy to hear the war is over, and that we, not the gods, are the arbiters of our destiny."

"With corruption eliminated from the Order," Maya added, "there should never be another war in the name of the gods. As Chosen, we will make sure the Order never becomes corrupted again. We have all seen the consequences, and you, the Beast Riders, have suffered from them.

"Feel free to visit us any time," Fiona chimed in. "You know where to find us!" At that, the other five Chosen jumped back onto their flying Pokémon, dispersing from Johto for their homelands. All but Ashelia. She was still there, her eyes wide open but her mind in deep thought.

"Don't you have some place you need to go?" Ace asked her. Just as she was about to answer, a rainbow walkway, presumably Ho-oh's, collided with the ground. The six elemental Beasts came rushing down, excited to reunite with their Chosen.

"If I return to Kanto, I will be recognized a heathen. I betrayed my people. However, here, I will be recognized a hero. Second, I did my best to survey the extent of the damage on the way back, and this is where the people are most in need. Third, I owe you my life many times over. Had you not gotten through to me back in Sinnoh, I would have died in my own fire. Plus, don't you need someone to replace Josh?"

"My best friend can't be replaced." Ace looked at the Lightning Sword in his left hand. At least he had something to remember him by. "He's gone now, and there's nothing anyone can do."

"In addition," Eron added, "a Chosen can only serve one mythical Pokémon. If you want to replace Josh, you must completely sever your ties to Zapdos. That includes returning the Storm Rod. If you tell me where you found it, I can take you there and back."

"I'm not afraid to. I'll miss flying, but that's a small price to pay for being able to repay the people who saved my life."

---

Later that night, Eron and Ashelia returned to northern Johto, only to find everyone still gone except Ace and Entei. The two trainers dismounted the white Beast. "Everyone still gone?" Eron asked the Chosen in red.

"They went to Goldenrod. Found a piace to stay there until Ecruteak gets reconstructed enough to live in again."

"Then what are you still doing here?" Ashelia asked.

"Can't stop thinking about Josh. He always called me reckless, but now he's not here to tell me that."

"Ponder this, Ace," Eron replied. "Remember, we can't change the past. But even if you could go back to that moment--the moment you realized what was happening to Josh, could you have saved him? Even if you knew it was coming?"

"I'd probably have dove in and tried to get him out of there, but there wasn't enough time. I couldn't have saved him."

"Then stop dwelling on the past so much. There's nothing you could do. Now think about what Josh would want you to do. He wouldn't want to see you crying; he'd want to see you helping the people of Johto who need it." While Ace wasn't looking, Ashelia picked up the Lightning Sword. A loud boom echoed around Ecruteak as she was struck by lightning. She flinched, but the electricity didn't seem to hurt her one bit. Columns of sparks circled her as her sorceress' robes faded away, being replaced by lightweight, yellow, lightningproof armor--just like Josh's. When Ace realized what was happening, he smiled.

Once the electricity faded, she had been completely transformed--she wore the same gear Josh did, except tailored to her size. She placed the Lightning Sword in its scabbard, sparks flying out from her entire body. Ace continued to smile as select stars in the heavens glowed more brightly, forming an outline of Josh's face in the night sky. "Ace, I will always be with you in spirit," the former Chosen's voice faintly echoed over the ruined city.

---

THE END

Last edited:
Perfect. Just the perfect ending to a brilliant story! Although I had no idea you could swap the legend under your control.

But this only throughs up more unanswered questions! But, me being me, I'll never be sated with answers to these.

But now this can take it's place alongside your two other fics in the Completed Fics section.

It's been fun to read and even better to be in[/vanity]!