• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Origins

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I thought the Pokemon here were just tools more than characters themselves: if they had any time to spend time with Red and bonded with him then I would have felt something after he won the Pokemon League or caught Mewtwo.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I thoroughly enjoyed Red's adventures, especially the fact that he captured so many Pokemon on his journey. While I felt that the Mega Lizardon X versus Mewtwo match was shoehorned in as a way to hype up the X/Y games, I loved seeing Shion Town be properly showcased for once.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The biggest thing I hate about origins is that it keeps telling with little showing. Like with how Red got badges 2 to 7, they keep cutting battles even the E4 and final battle vs Blue. If they had 4 to 5 more eps then it can work, but with what we got I give origins a 2 out of 5.

These specials weren't meant to show us all of Red's journey, though. If we had seen every stop on his way to the Sekiei Plateau, these specials might've been seen as a rehash of Satoshi's journey.

Zamin

This was an awesome movie, I loved it! I have just seen it for the first time. I twas an exciting story and distinct from the main anime.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
One of the best series that I have watched ever. I liked how Red's journey progressed so that he became very close to being the true Pokémon Master; catching all the Kanto Pokémon. The Ghost Marowak scenes were emotional but it was cool to see Red get a Key Stone and a Charizardite X so that during the Mewtwo battle, he could Mega Evolve Charizard in a pinch and it was one of the best battles I've ever seen. But then Mew in the end was also nice to see.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Wait, is that the real requirement.

That's what I think what a Pokémon Master would be. And it doesn't seem to be just that. Some think that just becoming Champion makes you a Pokémon Master. So unfortunately there is no set requirement but in my view Red has done the things that what I would consider really close to become a Pokémon Master.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
The pacing felt very abnormal but I guess it is to be expected since this was a special. Something I thought that really sent these episodes to the bizzaro world were the voices. Granted the humans all sounded fine (albeit different) but none of the Pokemon being able to speak just seems weird. In Ash's story, sometimes the big pokemon only grunt or screech but the norm is for most of the mon's to be able to repeat their own name. A Charmander that can't say Charmander? How is this even Pokemon anymore? Now they are just like random animals that come out of balls. It is not a huge thing, I only wonder why the sounds were done that way. It is closer to the games but the Gen 1 anime was released nearly side by side with Red and Blue over here, so its not so easy to accept a re-imagined vision of the association that was already made with Ash's version of the monsters.

Well I got the nitpicking out of the way, I liked pretty much everything else about Origins. The rivalry set up was nice and Red gained a lot of Key items. I can also appreciate the returns to the save screen every so often. Red's big advantage over Ash (and even Blue) is that he followed through and caught all the normal Gen 1 Pokemon. So even with the break neck plot movement, there is still an acknowledgement that Red has got skills. With less screen time there is less room for development but given the amount of time used, I thought that there was overall good progress for the most part.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The interpretation of a Pokemon's cries vary greatly in the media they are portrayed. The anime has its own interpretation (which is the default one used in games that can use voice acting, though sadly the Western audiences have to deal with the subpar voice actors from TPCI either because the budget can't afford better voice actors or because of tradition), the main games do have their own as well, and other animation groups also have different portrayals. The only universal interpretation is Pikachu's language, which every media agrees on.

Frankly speaking, I detest the anime's portrayal since it is always a hit or miss (and not because it "fits" the Pokemon in question. Look at what they did to Zapdos (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!)). I actually liked Origins' portrayal of their cries. Of course, this is speaking on the opinion of the "English" dubbed voices.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Started watching awhile back. With the Pokemon TV app shutting down I decided to finish it yesterday. Good but rushed. Relies a bit too much on narration & characters' internal monologs to carry the story.

Never really liked the character name changes form Ash/Gary to Red/Blue, but that's been that way since the 2nd generation games.

Blue remained a jealous hot-head at the end of the series; don't like that, but it's true to the games; he was still mean in Crystal.

I like traditional cel animation better, but digital ink & pain & backgrounds allowed a lot of cool simulated camera moves.

Worth watching once, but I like other adaptions of the games better. (Pokémon Adventures, early seasons of the anime, etc.) I'd say watch it quick; I'm not sure it'll be available much longer.

Last thought: This special is over 10 years old. Where does the time go? It seems like this just came out yesterday...