• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Origins

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
I started watching it yesterday. I've watched half of it so far.
Is Red voiced by the same person as Kirito? And that one girl in Lavender Town sounds like Asuna...

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Funny thing is, Pokémon Origins (I like to call it that sometimes okay) is the most game-close Pokémon anime yet (Pokémon Brotherhood!), and Sword Art Online takes place INSIDE a video game.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Sword Art Online or Pokémon Origins?
Just like I have the ability to derail any TLOZ discussion into an FMA discussion, I have now discovered that I can also derail any PO discussion into an SAO discussion.

I'll hopefully be finished with Origins by tomorrow.

zhixun

They should have written much longer for the Pokémon origins. It looks like a speed run to me as they make just four episodes. In the future I hope they make some other episode parallel to other games such as gold/ silver, ruby/ sapphire, diamond/ pearl and so on. Other than that I support the idea of making this awesome episode.

King Charizard

So how did Charizard evolve with holding a Mega stone? In the main anime Pokemon have to hold it.

Why can't this just be the show now? I can actually stand watching this and I actually genuinely enjoyed myself for once in years-- this had nice writing, this had fleshed out characters, this had emotionally resonating scenes, this had Red actually achieve his goal of catching all 151 Pokemon, this had...you get the idea.

Last edited:

zhixun

Why can't this just be the show now? I can actually stand watching this and I actually enjoyed myself for once in years.

I totally agree with you for making this to be a main show. Also it would be great to have other similar anime such as Gold/ Silver, Ruby/ Sapphire, Diamond/ Pearl, Black/ White and this time focus on the main character completing the quest as in the games.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
If they make another Pokémon-Brotherhood, they'd better not make the starter OP.

Also, to be quite honest, I don't really like Bryce Papenbrook's or-whatever-his-name-is voice... it's not enough to kill PO for me (or AOT, for that matter), but his voice just sounds a little... montage-y? Never mind...

Also, to be quite honest, I don't really like Bryce Papenbrook's or-whatever-his-name-is voice... it's not enough to kill PO for me (or AOT, for that matter), but his voice just sounds a little... montage-y? Never mind...
Can you really complain about him as Red, after having to listen to Sarah Natochenny as Ash? I can't: he was like music to my ears after having to listen to that for the last several years now. I would have turned off the dub immediately if I had to listen to Sarah or Michele as Red, honestly.

Honestly, I thought Bryce put a lot of emotion into his performance as Red in the English dub, personally: felt like a really genuine performance to me and he actually sounded like a kid in the role (something Sarah has never done as Ash), and his voice was really soft sounding and smooth. It wasn't rough, it wasn't deep, it wasn't harsh-- it was that kind of easy on the ears voice to me. He can actually laugh, too, unlike Sarah as Ash: he can actually cry as well, unlike someone else I've already mentioned.

tl;dr I have no complaints about him as Red: if Ash in the English dub had this good a voice right now, I would be more that content with it. Also, Bryce did a MUCH better job than Michele Knotz did in Super Smash Bros: Brawl as Pokemon Trainer, where Red sounded like he had a really bad sore throat.

Also, Johnny Yong Bosch may not be my favorite voice actor for Brock in English, but frankly, he was pretty good compared to the crap Bill Rogers put out in the role: same goes for Kyle Hebert over JCC, personally.

I totally agree with you for making this to be a main show. Also it would be great to have other similar anime such as Gold/ Silver, Ruby/ Sapphire, Diamond/ Pearl, Black/ White and this time focus on the main character completing the quest as in the games.

Thanks, man: yes, it would be-- I would support that wholeheartedly!

Last edited:

Aurath8

This was very good. A very close, yet condensed tribute to the original games.

-Blue is an actual jerk and I love to hate him.
-Battles are far more physical. In fact, I don't think I remember seeing any logic-defying explosions that are ubiquitous in the main anime. Also no pokemon said there own names. I never found that annoying but it puts the battles in a much stronger context.
-Dat indoor battle tho. The damage done to the environment is plain to see, and its such a great deconstruction of making to hulking beasts duke it out in an office building.
-I felt real sympathy with Giovanni. I was always dumbfounded by the idea that a battle could make him want to immediately disband Team Rocket and relinquish his empire. This story has even managed to enrich the original games.

I think the criticisms on pacing are a bit unfair, considering it had to fit so much into merely 4 episodes. I can only wish they had an extra episode or two to flesh things out, maybe more on the battle with Blue. As for the speed of the battles that were shown, if anything its just an accurate representation on how battles actually go down in the games. Most battles are over in under 3 hits.
One thing I will accept is the idea that he only really bonded with Charizard. The only other pokemon we saw more than once on Red's team was Jolteon, and it would have been great to see say, Red's team mimic his Mt Silver team. On the other hand, it gave the greatest number of pokemon the greatest amount of exposure. Some 70-90 pokemon must have been shown across the whole special.

I suppose Pokemon Origins' greatest triumph making me nostalgic over someone else's childhood. I've never played Red or Blue or even. I didn't play pokemon as a young child. I got my first game, Heartgold when I was 11, as most people were putting them down. That remains my only taste of Kanto and its story. However, the pace of the show, with focus on the key events felt like a slideshow of memories, only conveying the most powerful emotional moments.

Ideal ending- the last shot is Red running towards Mt. Silver to look for Mew.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Eh, maybe I just associate Bryce with Sword Art Online too much, which I don't really like tobequitehonest.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Pokémon Origins in five words:

The Red and Charizard show.

To me, all this did was glorify Charizard some more, and I'm already sick of Charizard being shoved down people's throats. Not to mention the last part was blatant X and Y advertising, and quite frankly, I'm already sick of Mega Charizard X too.

If only there were more episodes and they focused on more Pokémon........

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer

To me, all this did was glorify Charizard some more, and I'm already sick of Charizard being shoved down people's throats. Not to mention the last part was blatant X and Y advertising, and quite frankly, I'm already sick of Mega Charizard X too.

Headcanon: Red in this version is a parody of Charizard fanboys. (Have I said that before?)

zhixun

I would add Completing the Zukan to the five words you given. Because Red tried to catch every species of Pokémon in the show.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Headcanon: Red in this version is a parody of Charizard fanboys. (Have I said that before?)

I wouldn't go that far. But I still think Red isn't as great of a trainer as everyone makes him out to be.

I would add Completing the Zukan to the five words you given. Because Red tried to catch every species of Pokémon in the show.

I don't know what you mean by Zukan. Is that the Pokédex?

Regardless, that means nothing to me. He may have completed the Pokédex, but that doesn't stop this being nothing more than unnecessary Charizard glorification in my eyes.

zhixun

I wouldn't go that far. But I still think Red isn't as great of a trainer as everyone makes him out to be.

I don't know what you mean by Zukan. Is that the Pokédex?

Regardless, that means nothing to me. He may have completed the Pokédex, but that doesn't stop this being nothing more than unnecessary Charizard glorification in my eyes.

Zukan is the device that records all the details in Pokémon. I guess that means Pokédex in English.