• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Origins

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This special was great, probably the best thing I've seen from a Pokemon anime in years! I enjoyed Red's journey even though it wasn't shown in full detail, but that's because it isn't a miniseries. I loved how they basically animated the games. I loved at how much attention Charizard got in this. The battle with Mewtwo was just epic. I find it funny that Red's Charizard used Ash's Charizard's finishing move, Seismic toss on Rhydon when Ash's Charizard semmed to have forgotten the move back in BW LOL. I give it a 20/10!

Nightstar1994

Posting here in the day of it's release date.
Amazing special, and a wonderful nostalgia trip with a new surprise. 10 out of 10 easily. Mew appeared, Mewtwo had a great battle. Giovanni and even Ghost appeared whom I didn't expect at all.

Funnycupcakes

People. (For those think that Red was a bit stupid)
Don't expect Red to know everything about pokemon when he had just started training them.
Its not like the first time you ever played pokemon you haven't tried to get other peoples pokemon
I know I have.
So leave Red alone.

Squirtle_007

At least Red turns into a badass as many have envisioned.

Red: I have a MEWTWO AND THREE LEGENDARY BIRDS. What do YOU have?

Ash: I got a Scraggy!

You are aware that, unlike in Red's Universe, in Ash's Universe, catching the legendary birds would ... screw the weather in some ... islands, right?

Janovy

Banned

Born Better

God of Lightning
At least Red turns into a badass as many have envisioned.

Red: I have a MEWTWO AND THREE LEGENDARY BIRDS. What do YOU have?

Ash: I got a Scraggy!
Mewtwo- infinitely stronger than Red's and has an island full of pokemon to protect. Trying to catch him would just make Ash look like an ***.
Birds- also much stronger than Red's and the whole weather thing.
Almost every other legendary also plays a huge part in nature or whatever in the anime, so even trying to catch them wouldn't be very smart.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Mewtwo- infinitely stronger than Red's and has an island full of pokemon to protect. Trying to catch him would just make Ash look like an ***.
Birds- also much stronger than Red's and the whole weather thing.
Almost every other legendary also plays a huge part in nature or whatever in the anime, so even trying to catch them wouldn't be very smart.

It could've made sense, but alas, the anime makes up its own facts while the game has a very dubious Pokedex with weird entries that never seem to affect the main game. Yet still, an anime trainer has an Articuno.

Your argument is invalid.

Rohanator

It could've made sense, but alas, the anime makes up its own facts while the game has a very dubious Pokedex with weird entries that never seem to affect the main game. Yet still, an anime trainer has an Articuno.

Noland doesn't actually own Articuno but befriended it so it occasionally battles on his side. Buuut yeah.

Squirtle_007

Still, what difference would make if Red had Mewtwo and the legendary birds?, all the four episodes of Origins were about his team being pummeled and relying on Charizard for everything (¬_¬)

Happy birthday, by the way :D

LizardonX

Banned
Still, what difference would make if Red had Mewtwo and the legendary birds?, all the four episodes of Origins were about his team being pummeled and relying on Charizard for everything (¬_¬)

Happy birthday, by the way :D

He didn't even get charizard until episode 3.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
The second half of the special disappointed me for the most part. The Silph Co. thing was completely rushed, as were the other Gym Leader battles (Erika through Blaine). I liked the last episode a bit more than the third one if only because we got to see Red defeat Green and the Mewtwo battle, but the former felt rather rushed too. This special should have been a mini-series imo. A lot of things were skipped over or rushed through so it wasn't completely satisfying for me. Overall the special was decent. Better than the main anime imo.

RVD_fan

The special was definitely enjoyable as a love letter to Red and Green with good animation, solid voice acting, and a badass soundtrack. I'll admit, the Marowak story had me a little misty eyed.

However, even though it works as a special I don't know if it would work as a full anime in this style. It shares a similar issue to the manga for me in that it doesn't focus enough on the Pokemon themselves, instead focusing on conflicts between the trainers and having the Pokemon just sort of be extensions of their trainers. It's completely understandable given time constraints that they chose only to focus on a few stories and characters but nostalgia would only hold it up for so long.

Still, I'm glad they made this and I think it hit all the right notes for what it tried to be.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Some (actually, various) coments:

- Watching a heated Nidorino vs Gengar fight in his room AND apparently getting late to a meeting with Oak? Hmmm;

- Turning the cap backwards. Ok, now that whole story may become really hilarious;

- The characters' faces are so... blocky. I don't know. Their heads just seems a bit too awkward. I dunno if it's meant to be a reference to the games' sprites or not but still bugs me;

- So... they justified Red's names AND why he picked Charmander at the same time.... Obvious explanations are obvious but that's better than nothing;

- By the way, is it or did Red mentioned his father?;

- And Green offers Red to pick his mon first and going against the "matching colour" picks up Squirtle and all that tying to the explanation Red gave. Clever, writers;

- And people complain about Ash throwing balls at mons without aweaking them. At least, Ash has never tried to catch a Pokemon from a trainer he was battling against

Jokes apart, that scene made Red look a bit too dumb, honestly;

- Is Squirtle using Water Gun or throwing up its lunch?;

- Green's Squirtle killing Red's Charmander? I can see the fandom making fun of that scene;

- Hey look, it's the videophone ;);

- Brock teaching and explaining stuff. Well, I guess some traits became iconic enough to be always associated with a certain character hehe;

- They are having hard breathing because all that time wasted with fancy and over the top poses ;

- A disket? Man, that's old stuff.... Anyway, now I got curious to see how they'll show the TM being used;

- Stupid caption box. I wanted to see a full shot of Raichu ;

- Different looking nurses. Now, that's something new;

- That random Oddish is adorable;

- The part with Marowak was... somewhat heavy. But... a ground type being killed with a machine that emits eletricity? Stating that machine =/= pokémon attack won't work for me;

- So... Red went to Lavender Pokemon tower at night. And... with a lantern. Why can't GF make this thing a freaking item in the games? Way to make us waste a slot in our mons' learnset with Flash ;

- Whatever happened to the whole "your pokemon is too scared to battle against ghost?";

- Ok, that part with Marowak and Cubone was heartwarming... although it's clearly noticeable some parts were rushed. Passable though;

- Wild pokemon helping against TR? Where have I seen that before?;

- What's up with those "vampire-like" eyes of Giovanni?;

- No Wartotle? How... disappointing;

- Green keeps his badges behind his jacket? Where did I see that before?

- A pokemon with type advantage losing to a poke it was supposed to be strong against? A regular anime trope appearing here? Wasn't Red labelled as the ultimate pokemon trainer? :p

- That Rhyhorn is way too overpowered;

- Wait... wasn't Jolteon volt absorb? It was supposed to be immune to eletric type moves;

- So... Giovanni's starter was Charmander...;

- Honestly, I'm not convinced with Giovanni being moved by Red's act. After all, it took Red SIX of his pokemon to beat TWO of Giovanni's;

- Was that... the good and old sismic toss?;

- That battle was completly cheap. Giovanni's Rhydon was pathetic compared to his Rhyhorn (which sweep FIVE of Red's pokémon);

- In Red's place... rather than accept the badge, I'd punch his face and just call the police haha;

- Wow, Agatha looked like a man in that first shot;

- A Lapras fighting in the land! I think I haven't see that since the Orange Island episode where Ash fought for the second badge (or was there a pool Ash's Lapras was in? I don't remember);

- Self-reparing walls? Really?;

- Blastoise was defeated by Fire Blast. So, the glorious and overhyped Red has won using a pokemon attack whose type was weak against the adversary's. Where are you now Ash haters? C'mon, explain that one *Gemini Saga evil laugh*;

- Red just meets a Pikachu and throws a ball at it. Just after becoming champion. Nice use of the game logic (where it could be done). But for some reason, I found it hilarious;

- Mewtwo looking overpower enough to the point of beating Red's Articuno.... Yeah, definetely something it would come from the original games;

- I like this Mewtwo. Quiet and doesn't go all emo reflecting on his role in the world. And goes straight to the point: fight until you faint haha;

- Charizard Mega Digivolve to Burst Mode lol;

- No MasterBall? Well... fair enough since its use would make everything too easy and wouldn't give the story a chance to introduce Mega Charizard X;

- And now he poses after getting a Pokémon...;

- Red will have to attend the event if he wants Mew lol

- Ah, now I get why the animation looked familiar at some part. It had Xebec's involvement and that's the same studio that did the Mega Man Star Force anime.

Well, as for the special... I find it ok. Maybe it's because I didn't play the original Gen I games but I didn't see anything all that remarkable in it. Sure, it was decent and to those who don't like the current anime, it's a pleasant breeze. But while it had some nice things (like the Marowak mom, WatcherMark has mentioned and some parts of the battles, I missed something. Maybe it's because it had cram a whole game in less than two hours.

Also, Red didn't impress me. He remained the whole movie being the typical japanese series protagonist but I couldn't sympathize with him. And no, it has nothing to with the regular anime since I tend to be open-minded. But his character... yeah... just fine.

It's not the special itself I have a problem with, I enjoyed it for what it was. It's the blind Red fanboys and Ash/main anime haters that are gonna be a pain.

Do like me: just bring up the point Ash, even on his worse, never tried to throw a poké-ball at other trainer's pokémon. And that Red has won a Blastoise, in the league's final match, with a Charizard using Fire Blast.

The reason they don't showcase Abilities, is because this was based off the original games, Abilities don't exist. While yes they updated it in Gen III to have abilities, I believe Oak stated at the beginning of the special they're were 150 species of Pokemon, making this gen I only

No abilities? Ok, now Jolteon's loss became more forgivable.

Still odd though because they updated with some aspects born from later games though.

Last edited:

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
You'll never hear me rag on the main anime. Not ever.

However, I really did enjoy this special. It's just the little things, like how touching the whole Cubone/Marowak thing was, how dynamic the battles were (really, look at Scyther vs. Onix, like a ninja) how you could clearly see Red maturing and learning throughout the entire thing.

And Green didn't seem so much of a jerkface in this- I did laugh out loud when Marowak's ghost sent him running. He was still sort of jerk-y, but to an extent where it was actually really amusing.

Also Mega!Charizard X is just as glorious when animated as it looks normally. It and regular Charizard were a bit on the tubby side, but lordy, did you see that thing fly?

Granted, it was rather rushed, but I guess that's what you get for trying to stuff the entire storyline into a two hour time slot. They did a decent job managing it regardless of that, in my honest opinion.

All in all, I'd be game for another special like this down the line, although I wouldn't count on it.

I am so overjoyed right now about the five-second Pidgeot vs. Jolteon fight that I can't contain myself- it literally made my night.